entire sanctification is an obtainable goal.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, overgeneralization, and does not describe this discussion, so where is the relevance of such an errant observation?

Are you claiming this of the participants in this discussion?
I replied to @Candidus , confirming (and maybe expanding ) what he posted, as applies both on and off the internet.

Perhaps the opposite of sanctification, but the topic of his post.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is the bible your God?

God may sanctify us in and by His Word , as He Pleases,
so it is correct to believe Him,
instead of rejecting His Word as the apostates and false religions do.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You've never spoken to, or heard from "most people", so this is overgeneralization, a logical fallacy.
Here , elsewhere, everywhere, what does the Bible say about "most people" ?
God is not unclear at all about "most people".
Is God unclear to you ? (in what He says in His Word ? )
If not, why did you post that His Word (God's Word) is over generalization or a logical fallacy?
Why call God's Word, what God has revealed:
Utter nonsense, and meaningless in this discussion.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Another ridiculous question. What are you thinking? That Enoch worships his Bible?
It is difficult to understand the questions and the posts of that one. The purpose and the motive has been either unknown or anti-Scripture , as far as observable, for a long time.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here , elsewhere, everywhere, what does the Bible say about "most people" ?
God is not unclear at all about "most people".
Is God unclear to you ? (in what He says in His Word ? )
If not, why did you post that His Word (God's Word) is over generalization or a logical fallacy?
Why call God's Word, what God has revealed:
What?

I was replying to the content of a post, not to Scriptures.

If you want to look at a passage of Scripture, let's do that.

Did you really not understand what I was saying was an overgeneralization? That being your comments?

Why do you want to make it sound that I'm disputing with God when I'm disputing with you?

Why make it sound like I'm calling God's Word "nonsense", when I'm not??

Reactions: Rita

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It is difficult to understand the questions and the posts of that one. The purpose and the motive has been either unknown or anti-Scripture , as far as observable, for a long time.
The posts of what one?

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Philippians 3:15 it is written that as many as are perfect shall have a certain attitude, in context, that they will believe that they have not yet apprehended or were already made perfect. But it should be clear that even though they have this attitude, the Bible defines them as being perfect.

There are many verses which speak of the possibility of being sanctified wholly, among them are 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, 1 John 3:9, and Hebrews 10:14.

It should also be clear that Jude 1:24, 2 Peter 1:10, and 1 John 2:10 all declare that we do not have to fall into sin but can even be made faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy.

In 1 John 3:7, 1 John 3:3, and 1 John 2:6, it becomes clear that we can be righteous even as He is righteous, pure even as He is pure, and can walk even as He walked.
Hi justbyfaith,

On this part in Hebrews, there is an important distinction to be made I think.

upload_2020-4-8_16-39-0.png
from Scripture4all.org

He has perfected for ever them that are "being sanctified", this is present tense, active voice, accusative case. This means that these being referred to, the ones being sanctified, this is happening now, and it is happening to us.

We are being sanctified now, and it is being done to us, not that we are doing it. So this passage doesn't actually show an arrival in this life to sanctification, rather, that it is ongoing.

Your thoughts?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. I asked to name one person. I don't need to consult the Bible for the answer. I just need for someone to name just one person right now who has achieved entire sanctification. Achieving it "by faith" is not an acceptable answer for me.
That's just it. As we remain in faith we remain in sanctification. But this is moment by moment.

Much love!

Paul Christensen

Mar 2, 2020
Christchurch
www.personal-communication.org.nz
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
That's just it. As we remain in faith we remain in sanctification. But this is moment by moment.

Much love!
True. We hate sin and it is the fear of God that we work to keep our bodies our slave instead of our master. As we become stronger at it, we are progressing in our sanctification. We inwardly groan that we can't be as perfect as we want to be in our hearts, but we don't give up, and through prayer we repeat our requests to God that He will give us more grace and strength to keep ourselves from hypocrisy.

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Utter nonsense, and meaningless in this discussion.

You've never spoken to, or heard from "most people", so this is overgeneralization, a logical fallacy.

Within the context of this conversation . . . let me put it this way. Who here demonatrates what you claim?

Seriously!

This just smears those who might disagree with your POV.
I have spoken with many people, and your lack of experience does not void mine.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have spoken with many people, and your lack of experience does not void mine.
The point is this is a logical fallacy, it's your perception of that thin slice of people whom you've judged to be thus, projected as if both you are correct, and that your view applies correctly across the board.

It's a way to deflect from reasoned discussion, into flights of fancy.

Overgeneralization as a logical fallacy means that it steers the discussion in a non-viable direction.

But I understand that this will not deter you. So no matter!

Reactions: Helen

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
True. We hate sin and it is the fear of God that we work to keep our bodies our slave instead of our master. As we become stronger at it, we are progressing in our sanctification. We inwardly groan that we can't be as perfect as we want to be in our hearts, but we don't give up, and through prayer we repeat our requests to God that He will give us more grace and strength to keep ourselves from hypocrisy.
We come to learn trust in His keeping power, and moment by moment as we commit ourselves into His care, He keeps us free from sin, and causes us to walk in His works. His Spirit fills us, and when we release ourselves to the power of His Spirit, we live the abundant life Jesus promised. The fruits of the Spirit become our life experience, and sin is far from us.

When the tossing waves catch our eye, well, we fare no better than did Peter!

Much love!

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The point is this is a logical fallacy, it's your perception of that thin slice of people whom you've judged to be thus, projected as if both you are correct, and that your view applies correctly across the board.

It's a way to deflect from reasoned discussion, into flights of fancy.

Overgeneralization as a logical fallacy means that it steers the discussion in a non-viable direction.

But I understand that this will not deter you. So no matter!
No, "at this point" by claiming a "logical fallacy" into the discussion is merely dodging the facts. My experience has been with hundreds of people, and my wife's experience has been the same. 120 years of combined experience is admittedly a small slice of society, but it is undeniably and irrefutably... a slice.
One "logical fallacy" is the appeal to authority by some, that they have read a mere paltry 60 books, or are pursuing a Ph.D.; as if that amounts to anything in the way of an argument. Dismissing any contrary experience as a "flight of fancy" so you do not have to face it, is not an academic exercise even though you appeal to high-sounding psycho-babble.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Paul Christensen said:

You have avoided a straight answer because you don't know of anyone who has achieved sinless perfection in this life. This is because no one has ever achieved it. Even John Wesley, who believed in and taught sinless perfection by faith, eventually saw that Entire Sanctification by Faith is an unworkable doctrine.

Because you cannot name a single person or movement in history that ever taught such a thing! It is the strawman of Calvinism and antinomians that want their "sin-and-win" theology! You need to stop reading what Calvinist teach that Wesley said and read him for yourself.

Dismissing any contrary experience as a "flight of fancy" so you do not have to face it, is not an academic exercise even though you appeal to high-sounding psycho-babble.

Who in this discussion is appealing to a "sin and win" theology?

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Who is able, though, to present Ekklesia before the Father in heaven, spotless ? (when and as written)

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No. I asked to name one person.
Maybe this will be better clarification:
Jde 1:24, Now unto him that is able to keep you from falling, and to present you faultless before the presence of his glory with exceeding joy,
2Pe 1:10, Wherefore the rather, brethren, give diligence to make your calling and election sure: for if ye do these things,
ye shall never fall:
1Jo 2:10, He that loveth his brother abideth in the light, and there is none occasion of stumbling in him.

Rom 5:5, And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
Col 3:14, And above all these things put on
charity, which is the bond of perfectness.
Heb 10:14, For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

NOTICE the difference ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In Philippians 3:15 it is written that as many as are perfect shall have a certain attitude, in context, that they will believe that they have not yet apprehended or were already made perfect. But it should be clear that even though they have this attitude, the Bible defines them as being perfect.

There are many verses which speak of the possibility of being sanctified wholly, among them are 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24, 1 John 3:9, and Hebrews 10:14.

It should also be clear that Jude 1:24, 2 Peter 1:10, and 1 John 2:10 all declare that we do not have to fall into sin but can even be made faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy.

In 1 John 3:7, 1 John 3:3, and 1 John 2:6, it becomes clear that we can be righteous even as He is righteous, pure even as He is pure, and can walk even as He walked.

Reactions: Candidus

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You need to stop reading what Calvinist teach
Good.
This is a start to backing out of error, or recovering from error.

Read the Bible prayerful, continual prayer, always, every day. Meditating on God's Word even while reading or replying to posts,
doing laundry, doing dishes, cooking, walking, sitting, standing ... :) (re "Sit, Walk, Stand", an enlightening book of Scripture ideas only)

Candidus

Jan 27, 2020
Kuna
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Salvation, being Born-Again, Conversion are an unattainable goal!

For the very reasons that Sanctification is an unattainable goal, Salvation is.