• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Entire Sanctification
OP ^

Sanctification - IS set Apart.

Israel IS set Apart.

The Converted IN Christ ARE set Apart.

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Waiting on him

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
So very true!

Faith is trusting Jesus. What I like to do is to pick out those most challenging parts of the Bible to accept, and meditate on them until I believe them. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the word of God.

Once I've come to accept such things as reality, such as,

2 Peter 1:2-4 KJV
2) Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
3) According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
4) Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Then, I live as though this were true.

Much love!

Reactions: marks

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even Moses was commanded to sanctify the people before bringing them before that fiery mountain.

the way I see it is I’m perfectly covered by the atoning blood of Christ, though my spirit is still very much alive. He bares witness to my spirit completely overwhelming and overcomes with His Spirit teaching and encouraging collaboration.
This is discipleship. I partake of His righteousness.

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Even Moses was commanded to sanctify the people before bringing them before that fiery mountain.
Yes, sanctification is a big deal all through the OT, teaching us about God's requirement of it.

Lev 10:1-3 And Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, took either of them his censer, and put fire therein, and put incense thereon, and offered strange fire before the LORD, which he commanded them not. (2) And there went out fire from the LORD, and devoured them, and they died before the LORD. (3) Then Moses said unto Aaron, This is it that the LORD spake, saying, I will be sanctified in them that come nigh me, and before all the people I will be glorified. And Aaron held his peace.

Deu 32:48-52 And the LORD spake unto Moses that selfsame day, saying, (49) Get you up into this mountain Abarim, unto mount Nebo, which is in the land of Moab, that is over against Jericho; and behold the land of Canaan, which I give unto the children of Israel for a possession: (50) And die in the mount whither you go up, and be gathered unto your people; as Aaron your brother died in mount Hor, and was gathered unto his people: (51) Because you trespassed against me among the children of Israel at the waters of Meribah-Kadesh, in the wilderness of Zin; because you sanctified me not in the midst of the children of Israel. (52) Yet you shall see the land before you; but you shall not go thither unto the land which I give the children of Israel.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Our experience we are in process of being sanctified so that our walk matches our position. .

Sanctification is not a process.
Its a completion of the blood atonement being applied to you.
Being "Made Righteous" is not a work in progress, Ronald.

So, where you are confused is regarding the idea that : Discipleship is the process of sanctification.
Its not.
Its the process of "working out your salvation", and that is not to determine if you can keep it, but rather, its the learning how to operate within it.

Truman

Jul 31, 2020
Brantford
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
WIN_20210421_11_24_45_Pro.jpg
This is reality to me. From, " The Divine Plumbline," by Dr. Bruce Thompson
Crucifying the old man, aka, progressive sanctification. Part of a 5-day retreat I went on that has changed my life. I'm not perfect, but I've been free of drug abuse for 17 years. I haven't touched a woman since 2005, and no, I'm not gay. :)

Last edited:

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sanctification is not a process.
Its a completion of the blood atonement being applied to you.
Being "Made Righteous" is not a work in progress, Ronald.

So, where you are confused is regarding the idea that : Discipleship is the process of sanctification.
Its not.
Its the process of "working out your salvation", and that is not to determine if you can keep it, but rather, its the learning how to operate within it.

Sanctification is both a one time act and a process. We have been declared perfect by God and now He is sanctifying us!

Hebrews 10:14
For by one offering he hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified.

Sanctified is hagazo which means set apart or made holy.

and as the verb sanctified is in the present active participle in the greek it is more accurately rendered as thus:

" He has finished the work forever for those who are being made holy".

Being a disciple means being a committed learner, which we have not the concept of mind that the people in Jesus times have of what that means.

But disciples (mathetes --learners who sit at the feet) are the ones growing in grace, and knowledge and practical or experiential holiness.

We have tow things as believers, we have our position , which is justified , glorified, perfected, seatred in heavenly places, crucified with christ yet still alive (not us but Jesus) and we have our practice which is growing and learning and achioeving what god has already declared us to be. It is not a license to sin, but the license to grow into what we weree originally designed ofr- to serve at His pleasure.

Like I tell all my bible institute students

1. Right living comes from right thinking.
2. right thinking comes from right knowledge
3. Righ knwoledge comes from the word of God!

Well of till Tuesday. I have a new granddaughter to visit. Grandbaby #9

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is our entire Sanctification.
Do you have Him in you? Are you born again?
So, when we are "In Christ", we are as sanctified as God Himself.

You are the one confusing biblical concepts here... You are confusing justification with sanctification, and replacing the Christian life with a form of Complacency.
Put simply, (Quoting J.C. Ryle)...

"Justification: I have been saved from the penalty of sin.

Sanctification: I am being saved from the power of sin.

Glorification: I will be saved from the presence of sin."

Ryle, J.C. Holiness: Its Nature, Hindrances, Difficulties and Roots, p. 20

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Sanctification is both a one time act and a process.

You are confusing spiritual growth with sanctification.
Sanctification is impossible of ourselves.
We can never be sanctified unless God does it.
Self effort cant do a few things.
1.) save you
2.) keep you saved
3.) Justify you.
4.) sanctify you.

This is the reason that 1 Corinthians 1:30 in a real bible, tells you that Jesus is your Sanctification.

Now, there are cultish denominations that try to sanctify themselves by works or by teaching all sorts of fake spirituality ideas regarding a "2nd in-filling" and "entire sanctification".
Run from those.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
You are the one confusing biblical concepts here... You are confusing justification with sanctification

Sorry David but your lunatic cult theology teaching is: DOA.
Just like it was on the last 10 Forums before you got kicked off.

See, 1 Corinthians 1:30 (in a real bible) says that Jesus IS THE Sanctification regarding all the born again.

Reactions: HisLife

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry David but your lunatic cult theology teaching is: DOA.
Just like it was on the last 10 Forums before you got kicked off.

My "Lunatic theology" is mainline protestantism (Baptist), That is how far off base your theology has gone off the rails that you cannot recognize Christianity any longer. For the record, I was not "kicked off the last forum" I chose no longer to comment there because of moderators who like you yourself had begun to prescreen my comments before posting.

Sanctification is impossible of ourselves.
We can never be sanctified unless God does it.

I Actually agree with you on this point, hence why I point to this being the work of the Holy Spirit in us not our work. our only job is to let God the Holy Spirit do his job in us.... that being said we can hinder this work, quench the Spirit by hardening our hearts like you yourself are doing and I pray that the Holy Spirit will finish his work in you. He is both the author and finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2) One day I pray you will understand this and fully submit to God. (James 4:7-8)

God bless.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Entire Sanctification
OP ^

Sanctification - IS set Apart.

Israel IS set Apart.

The Converted IN Christ ARE set Apart.

Glory to God,
Taken

Hello Taken,

Romans 6 talks a about sanctification.

Do we continue to sin that grace may abound? - God forbid.

As believers for Christ we are baptized into his death, - dying to our old lifestyle - which Christ Yeshua had paid for, and because of this believers are spiritually raised from the dead as Christ was too raised from the dead by God.

As believers you become spiritually awakened, and through out life the process of sanctification takes place until the day of our death.

Inwardly as believers we tend to have an internal war going on with-in us - which is our flesh vs the spirit - according to Galatians 5:16-18.

16 So I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the flesh. 17 For the flesh desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the flesh. They are in conflict with each other, so that you are not to do whatever you want. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law.

Just desired to give my own two cents,

May God give the increase! Take care.

Reactions: Taken

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
My "Lunatic theology" is mainline protestantism (Baptist)

NO its not.
Im around Baptists all my life. My Best friend is a Baptist minister.
You are about as baptist as a watermelon is a rocket.
Stop being dishonest.
Stop trying to falesly attach your cult teaching to something "Mainline", so that your freak gospel wont seem to be so crazy.
Baptists, a real one, is not going to have as his "one track pony" ministry, to come to every forum and try to teach that born again people are all fallen away, asleep in the light, and needing you to tell them how to get up and get going, based on the demonic commentaries that destroyed your faith long ago.

Im the last person you need to try that nonsense on, David.
You learned that on Worthy Christian Forum, a while back.
The best thing you can do, is take your odd deceptive ideas, your mis-mash of convoluted bizarre theology, and talk into a tape recorder, and listen back.
Help yourself.
Use headphones as not to bother anyone else.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NO its not.
Im around Baptists all my life. My Best friend is a Baptist minister.
You are about as baptist as a watermelon is a rocket.
Stop being dishonest.
Stop trying to falesly attach your cult teaching to something "Mainline", so that your freak gospel wont seem to be so crazy.
Baptists, a real one, is not going to have as his "one track pony" ministry, to come to every forum and try to teach that born again people are all fallen away, asleep in the light, and needing you to tell them how to get up and get going, based on the demonic commentaries that destroyed your faith long ago.

Im the last person you need to try that nonsense on, David.
You learned that on Worthy Christian Forum, a while back.
The best thing you can do, is take your odd deceptive ideas, your mis-mash of convoluted bizarre theology, and talk into a tape recorder, and listen back.
Help yourself.
Use headphones as not to bother anyone else.

You shall know them by their fruits, and your fruit and vehement hatred for brothers in Christ is showing in your responses.... I am praying for you...
God Bless.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Im around Baptists all my life.

How is it then that you do not recognize the doctrine of assurance of salvation as Preached by mainline Baptists and instead label it as "conditional security" when is not? It just shows you have no clue what you are talking about...
Also progressive sanctification is mainline protestant theology not some "lunatic cult theory" which was elaborated upon by the the Wesley's and can be found in Wesleyan church theology and is Baptist in theology as well, yet you oppose these doctrines.
Baptist Beliefs: Assurance of Salvation and the Christian Life | Baptist Messenger of Oklahoma

For those who are not familiar with our discussions on the other Forum, My Point that Behold disagrees with is that I see conditional security as a stage in our Christian walk, a "valley of doubt" that we must walk through in order to arrive at the full assurance of the Faith. Teaching Osas as doctrine to be agreed upon deprives the individual believer at experiencing this arriving at the full assurance of the faith (Hebrews 6:11) It is like placing someone in a college and handing them a doctorate and saying they are doctor without having them go through med school and residency.

In Doing this, @Behold has taken any and all who teach conditional security and assurance of salvation as heretics and cultists. This is known theologically as "textualism" and makes the Christian life and the process of Growth a set of doctrines that must be agreed upon mentally rather than lived and experienced in our Christian journey.

Speaking on this textualism Tozer wrote the following:
"The error of textualism is not doctrinal. It is far more subtle than that and much more difficult to discover, but its effects are just as deadly. Not its theological beliefs are at fault, but its assumptions.

It assumes, for instance, that if we have the word for a thing we have the thing itself. If it is in the Bible, it is in us. If we have the doctrine, we have the experience. If something was true of Paul it is of necessity true of us because we accept Paul's epistles as divinely inspired. The Bible tells us how to be saved, but textualism goes on to make it tell us that we are saved, something which in the very nature of things it cannot do. Assurance of individual salvation is thus no more than a logical conclusion drawn from doctrinal premises, and the resultant experience wholly mental."
No Revival without Reformation - A.W. Tozer - Sermon Index

Last time I checked, Tozer was a mainline protestant theologian and expositer on scripture, and not some "cultist" and this is how far @Behold has gone in his hatred for other Christians who hold to different beliefs that he does not agree with. Tozer was spoken of highly in my Baptist church growing up, not negated and called a cultist.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My Point that Behold disagrees with is that I see conditional security as a stage in our Christian walk, a "valley of doubt" that we must walk through in order to arrive at the full assurance of the Faith.

I appreciate this clear statement from you.

I find this idea of "conditional security" as not only a contradiction in itself, as you are secure, but maybe not, but as directly against teaching faith in Christ to be all things to us, including sanctification. It throws the responsibility for our so called "progressive sanctification" onto ourselves. As if we are lacking something from God, and we are required to make up that lack. That God leaves us short of holy, and we have to make ourselves more holy.

I don't find that in the Bible, and I haven't found it in my life. When I tried that way, though it seemed smart and wise to exert my will to deny myself, my flesh, to set my bounderies, all that, though it may seem wise, it was actually no help against the flesh.

Help is found in every case in trusting Jesus, what He did on the cross, that this means we are fully and truly reconciled to Him, and knowledge - faith - liberates us from the after-effects of the flesh, which now has no power over us.

We're not trying to make the flesh more dead, it's already dead, we are alive, now we are to live that life, the just shall live by faith.

If in fact we believe that all sin was removed in Christ's death, then that is what we should teach. I'm having a difficulty thinking of this idea that we should mar from the beginning the new believer's faith with this legalistic mindset, that they aren't really secure, regardless of the promises of the Bible, NO! Teach the promises of the Bible, teach faith, and the faithfulness of God, Who has promised us, He will do it.

Condemnation in the child of God does not come from God. Justifying self-condemnation as a neccesary part of Christian maturing is like saying we have to have cancer to grow up. Condemnation is against life.

This is known theologically as "textualism" and makes the Christian life and the process of Growth a set of doctrines that must be agreed upon mentally rather than lived and experienced in our Christian journey.

You won't do something you don't think in your mind. Look at how Scripture describes our changing for the better,

Romans 12:2 KJV
2) And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Colossians 3:10 KJV
10) And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

Ephesians 4:13 KJV
13) Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:

Ephesians 4:22-24 KJV
22) That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;
23) And be renewed in the spirit of your mind;
24) And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Because you don't have the experience of something does not mean you do not have that thing. You may have a very immature walk in Christ, and you may even think that is normal, but that does not mean that, if Christ does indeed live in you, that you have somehow "less of Christ", or "a lesser Christ", as if such things could be.

Renewing the mind is learning to think according to this new reality, that Christ live in you, that your sins are removed from you, that you are a child of God. That you will be transformed to be like Jesus. Having that expectation in your mind. Your heart set on your expectation of the resurrection, of living forever with our Creator, of living in His transforming love today.

You've heard the idea, I expect, of a new Christian "honeymooning", right? An emotional high, but then they kind of come back more down to earth? That happens as they start hearing, You've gotta WORK . . . You'd BETTER . . . You CAN'T know . . . all the things people tell themselves when they feel defeated in their own lives. As if it were true of the spiritual Christian walk.

Or perhaps, we don't have that second baptism yet, or, it's not the end of the age outpouring yet, or, any other reason as if the death of Jesus on the cross, how we are justified by His death - separated from sin and guilt of sin forever - as if this were somehow lacking for us. As if we will crucify ourselves more than God did by placing us into Jesus' death? Is that the idea here?

Much love!

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
to make it tell us that we are saved, something which in the very nature of things it cannot do.
I don't think anyone here is saying the Bible tells us we are saved. But it most certainly tells us how to know that we are. His Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are children of God, this is one. "And believing, we have eternal life", there's another.

But it sounds to me that you would have us doubt the promise of Scritpure until we perceive in our selves what seems to us to be sanctification. As if our opinions of ourselves were more meaningful than our acceptance of Jesus as our Lord, and our belief in His resurrection? Naturally, if we aren't changed, then, we haven't been changed. And naturally, change begins inside, and works it's way outside.

Even if only inside, His Spirit testifies with our spirit that we are children of God. Would you say to the new believer, No, don't just think that's God inside you, maybe it's not! Because they have to walk through this valley of doubt, right? So you train them to ignore the presence of God inside them until they think they've changed enough to think God would actually touch them? Live in them? How much do you recommend someone "clean up" before they let their guard to God down? That's what it becomes. Failing to trust in God's reconciliation because of a poor personal opinion.

There is the person who isn't changed, not reborn, but they aren't really caring about any of this. And there is the child of God, reconciled in Christ, what would you have them to believe? On every forum you visit?

I love you, but I stand firmly against this message against faith. The just shall live by faith, and faith in Christ. This is our foundation.

David H.

Aug 25, 2020
michigan
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't find that in the Bible, and I haven't found it in my life. When I tried that way, though it seemed smart and wise to exert my will to deny myself, my flesh, to set my bounderies, all that, though it may seem wise, it was actually no help against the flesh.

Help is found in every case in trusting Jesus, what He did on the cross, that this means we are fully and truly reconciled to Him, and knowledge - faith - liberates us from the after-effects of the flesh, which now has no power over us.

We're not trying to make the flesh more dead, it's already dead, we are alive, now we are to live that life, the just shall live by faith.

Let me answer this with a quote from Tozer:

“The reason why many are still troubled, still seeking, still making little forward progress is because they haven’t yet come to the end of themselves. We’re still trying to give orders, and interfering with God’s work within us.”

Part of that coming to the end of ourselves, is coming to the point of total repentance and brokeness and it is not until then that we fully can surrender to the work of the Holy Spirit in our lives. The Responses of @Behold here show the lack of this in his life.

Watch the video: