Exactly one year from today - 11 April - The Great Tribulation begins!!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
Maybe you don't know that the book of Revelation is the only book in the bible with a blessing for those who read it both at the beginning of it and at the end of it.

We don't know the day or hour but we can know the season of His return.

It was bible prophecy that brought me to the Lord.

Christian's should not complain or judge what others do for God. We are not all called to do the same things.

Revelation 1:3 ¶Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.
Revelation 22:7 Behold, I come quickly: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

There are no longer any prophets or apostles. But we can prophesy. One who prophesy's isn't a prophet.

The word prophet is not limited to foretelling the future......its means an inspired speaker.....one that speaks under divine inspiration. And if you are prophesying under God insperation, then you automatically are a prophet...of God.

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
New Hampshire's North Woods
The word prophet is not limited to foretelling the future......its means an inspired speaker.....one that speaks under divine inspiration. And if you are prophesying under God insperation, then you automatically are a prophet...of God.

The are no more apostles or prophets. Today we are disciples and are able to prophesy.

Luke 16:15 And he said unto them, ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
Luke 16:15 can be interpreted that prophets ended with John the Baptist.

Hebrews 1:1 ¶God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;

Ephesians 3:5 says that the mystery concerning the church has been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets through the Holy Spirit which indicates that these roles were fulfilled in the first century, and do not continue today.

Ephesians 2:19 Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20 And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;Ephesians 3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;

There have only been a few dozen (or so) prophets throughout history. In the OT God spoke through the prophets and wonders like the burning bush etc. The Holy Spirit wasn't as active in those days as He is today. The prophets of the OT often prophecied concerning Israel and Christ first and second coming and they were often exiled. God used Israel to bring about the Messiah and to save the world and is God's message to the world. No more prophets are needed to proclaim it. That's the mission of the church.

However! Now that we have the fulness of God's Spirit some can 'prophesy.'

The truth is that God gave us Prophets (Old Testament) and Apostles (New Testament) for the establishing of the church. Prophets pointed ahead to Jesus. Apostles point back to Jesus. But, now God speaks to us through His Son.
"God, after He spoke long ago to the fathers in the prophets in many portions and in many ways, in these last days has spoken to us in His Son, whom He appointed heir of all things, through whom also He made the world," (Heb. 1:1-2).

Before the church was established, spiritual gifts were only administered to certain individuals hand picked by God. Signs and wonders followed only after the Apostles. As the Spiritual gifts emerged into the general population of the church, the apostles eventually died and the prophets were no longer necessary. That's pretty much the way it appears to me.
http://www.scionofzi...om/apostles.htm
I'm not implying that there were only OT prophets. Only that they vanished after the church was established.

Eph 4 gives us a picture of the organization and administration of the early church. It gives us a list of the 'office' bearers in it at the time of Paul. Many of these 'prophets' were in a wandering ministry and went wherever the Spirit led them. And some stayed in their local ministry.

The apostles included more than the twelve. And to be an apostle there were two qualifications. An apostle must have seen Jesus and witnessed his resurrection. Or they must have been hand picked by Jesus.
That's why I say there are no more apostles.

The prophets were wanderers throughout the church. They had no homes and no families and no means of support. If they took money they were not a true prophet. They went from church to church proclaiming the will of God as the Spirit told them.

The prophets before long vanished from the church. In times of persecution the prophets were the first to suffer and die for their faith. Their occupation was a dangerous one.

This is what William Barclay said.
The prophets became a problem. As the church grew the local organization developed. Each congregation began to grow into an organization which had it's own permanent minister and local administration. Before long the settled ministry began to resent the intrusion of these wandering prophets who often disturbed their congregations. The settled ministry always tends to resent the itinerant evangelist. The inevitable result was that bit by bit the prophets faded out, and the settled ministry was supreme.

The office of the prophet was singularly liable to abuse. These prophetic wanderers had a very considerable prestige. Some of them abused their office and made it an excuse for living a very comfortable life at the expense of the congregation whom they visited.
The earliest book of church administration is the Didache, the teachings of the twelve apostles which dates back to just after A.D. 100. In it both the prestige and the suspicion of the prophets is clearly seen.
It is laid down that a wandering prophet may stay one or two days with a congregation, but if he wishes to stay 3 days or if he demands money he's a false prophet. There were days when the prophets were the real messengers of God to the church and it was so in the day of Paul. But the time came when these wandering prophets were an anachronism, (An anachronism is anything that is out of place in the time period it has been placed in) when some of them brought discredit on their office, and in the end vanished from the scene.

Most christian's I know do agree that there are no more apostles or prophets. All the prophecies about Christ second coming have been made. The church is established and the Word is written.
I don't know anybody who upholds the qualifications of a prophet and see no use for them now anyway since we have the gift of prophecy which is different than being a prophet.
Nearly everyone I've discussed this with in the past including most Pentecostal's agree that there are no more prophets or apostles and to prophesy doesn't make one a prophet. The gift of prophecy is much different and the spiritual gifts are avaliable to us now to fill the need.

Today we are disciples and are able to prophesy. That doesn't make us an apostle or a prophet!
Ephesians gives us a picture of the organization and administration of the early church. We have a list of office bearers at the time of Paul.

The apostles were those whose authority ran throughtout the church and they included more than the twelve. (Acts 14; 4, 17)

An apostle must have either seen Jesus or been hand picked by Jesus.

Paul said, "Am I not an apostle? Have I not seen Jesus Christ our Lord?" (1 Cor 9:1)

An apostle had to be a witness of the resurrection of Christ. When the eleven met to discuss who would be the successor to Judas, the qualification of the successor was that he must be one of those who had companied with them throughout the earthly life of Jesus, and that he must be ordained to be a witness to the Resurrection. (Acts 1: 21-22)
So in a sense the apostles were bound to die out.

http://www.scionofzi...om/apostles.htm

The apostles were hand-picked by Jesus himself.

And when it was day, he [JESUS] called unto him his disciples: and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles;

Not only were the original twelve apostles hand-picked by Jesus, Paul was as well.

And as he [Paul] journeyed, he came near Damascus: and suddenly there shined round about him a light from heaven: And he fell to the earth, and heard a voice saying unto him, Saul, Saul, why persecutest thou me? And he said, Who art thou, Lord? And the Lord said, I am Jesus whom thou persecutest: it is hard for thee to kick against the pricks. And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do? And the Lord said unto him, Arise, and go into the city, and it shall be told thee what thou must do.

Acts 9:3-6

After Jesus appeared to him, he said of Paul:

...for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:

Acts 9:13-15

Paul refers to himself as:

Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ...

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
The are no more apostles or prophets. Today we are disciples and are able to prophesy.

That statement makes no sense. It's like saying I do surgery but I am not a surgeon. So you are mistaken.

Prophets are still among God's people. The scripture below was said long after John the Baptist was dead, so you mist understand Luke 16:16.

1 Corinthians 12:28 (ASV)
[sup]28 [/sup]And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, divers kinds of tongues.

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
That statement makes no sense. It's like saying I do surgery but I am not a surgeon. So you are mistaken.

Prophets are still among God's people. The scripture below was said long after John the Baptist was dead, so you mist understand Luke 16:16.

1 Corinthians 12:28 (ASV)
[sup]28 [/sup]And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondly prophets, thirdly teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, divers kinds of tongues.

You're just having trouble accepting it.

Did you even read my reply?

The apostles were without question the greatest figures in the early church. Their authority was not confined to one place. They had no setteled or localized ministry. What they wrote ran throughout the church. Why was it like that? It's because their qualifications was that he must be a man who companied with Jesus during his earthly life and witnessed his resurrection.

Ths is the discussion between the apostles and Jesus as to who would replace Judas's apostleship.
Acts 1:22 Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.
23 And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.
24 And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,
25 That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.
26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

The authority of Apostleship comes only from the fact that the person must have companied with Christ.

The apostles were those who had the closest contact with Jesus in the flesh. Jesus never wrote on a piece of paper. He left no books. Instead he left his message upon men and these men were the apostles.

1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
Quote from James Frye.

Are There Prophets Today?

Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1 Corinthians 13:8-10

In this passage, we are told that three things shall pass away (prophecies, tongues, and knowledge). We have a three-fold passing away. In verse 8, all three are mentioned, but when we come to verse 9, only two are listed. Tongues are no longer mentioned. By the time we get to verse 12, knowledge (I know in part) alone is left.
This passage describes a three-fold passing away. First tongues, then prophecy, and finally knowledge. For information on tongues, see our booklet "Speaking In Tongues".
Let us look at prophesy.
... we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
1 Corinthians 13:9-1
Prophecy is in part. That is, it is a partial revelation of God’s truth. In the early days of Christianity, the New Testament was not yet complete. Scripture was still being written. The church at Corinth, for example, probably had a copy of one of the gospels (Mark, for example) and copies of the letters Paul had written to them. How then were they to know all the other truths that God had for them which had not yet been written down and collected into the New Testament? By prophecy, of course.

Each particular prophecy was only God’s revelation in part. But once that which is perfect has come (God’s complete revelation in scripture), then there is no more need for that which is in part (prophecy).
For example, there was approximately 400 years between the end of the Old Testament and the beginning of the New Testament. During that time, no scripture was being written. From the time of the last Old Testament prophet (Malachi), until the time of the first New Testament prophet (John the Baptist), there were no prophets and no prophecy. Once the Old Testament was complete, prophecy stopped.
What, then, would we expect to happen after the New Testament was completed? The same thing. Prophecy would stop. The last New Testament book to be written was the Book of Revelation. It was written around 90 AD. >From that time, there has been no such thing as true prophecy.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
I hope God clears up your mind brother. :lol: That is one of the funniest op's I have ever read here.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
You're just having trouble accepting it.

Because what you are saying contradicts 1 Corinthians 12:28. God gives various gifts to people in the Church, including the gift of prophecy.

Did you even read my reply?

Most of what you post was irrelevant and had nothing to do with what I am talking about.

The apostles were without question the greatest figures in the early church. Their authority was not confined to one place. They had no setteled or localized ministry. What they wrote ran throughout the church. Why was it like that? It's because their qualifications was that he must be a man who companied with Jesus during his earthly life and witnessed his resurrection.

Ths is the discussion between the apostles and Jesus as to who would replace Judas's apostleship.
Acts 1:22 Beginning from the baptism of John, unto that same day that he was taken up from us, must one be ordained to be a witness with us of his resurrection.
23 And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.
24 And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,
25 That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.
26 And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles.

The authority of Apostleship comes only from the fact that the person must have companied with Christ.

The apostles were those who had the closest contact with Jesus in the flesh. Jesus never wrote on a piece of paper. He left no books. Instead he left his message upon men and these men were the apostles.

1 Corinthians 13:9 For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
10 But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.

What does all that have to do with what I am talking about? I am saying that we have prophets in the Church. Those scriptures that you post says nothing against that. But I was never trying to say that prophets will be around forever. Verse 10 of 1 Corinthians 13 is saying that prophets are now done away. It is simply saying what one knows in part that will be done away when Jesus comes......and He has not return as yet.

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
If you do an unbiased research on the office of prophet and apostle in the early churrch you will see that the office has been done with since the church has been established. I've explained enough of it if you can't grasp it then it's no big deal as it's not a salvation issue. There's not one person on the planet who has the qualifications of a prophet.

You are misunderstanding 1 Corinthian's 13. Verse 8 tells us that prophecies shall cease.

Num. 12:6 "And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, [and] will speak unto him in a dream."

Jer. 23:14. "I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem an horrible thing: they commit adultery, and walk in lies: they strengthen also the hands of evildoers, that none doth return from his wickedness. v.16, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, [and] not out of the mouth of the LORD."

Jer. 28:9. "The prophet which prophesieth of peace, when the word of the prophet shall come to pass, [then] shall the prophet be known, that the LORD hath truly sent him."

I said,
The prophets were wanderers throughout the church. They had no homes and no families and no means of support. If they took money they were not a true prophet. They went from church to church proclaiming the will of God as the Spirit told them.

And Barclay said,

The office of the prophet was singularly liable to abuse. These prophetic wanderers had a very considerable prestige. Some of them abused their office and made it an excuse for living a very comfortable life at the expense of the congregation whom they visited.
The earliest book of church administration is the Didache, the teachings of the twelve apostles which dates back to just after A.D. 100. In it both the prestige and the suspicion of the prophets is clearly seen.
It is laid down that a wandering prophet may stay one or two days with a congregation, but if he wishes to stay 3 days or if he demands money he's a false prophet. There were days when the prophets were the real messengers of God to the church and it was so in the day of Paul. But the time came when these wandering prophets were an anachronism, (An anachronism is anything that is out of place in the time period it has been placed in) when some of them brought discredit on their office, and in the end vanished from the scene.

Prophets are no longer necessary. The church is established and all the prophecies have been given because the Word is written. The gift of prophecy is different than the office of a prophet.

Jer. 23:14. "I have seen also in the prophets of Jerusalem an horrible thing: they commit adultery, and walk in lies: they strengthen also the hands of evildoers, that none doth return from his wickedness. v.16, Thus saith the LORD of hosts, Hearken not unto the words of the prophets that prophesy unto you: they make you vain: they speak a vision of their own heart, [and] not out of the mouth of the LORD."

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
If you do an unbiased research on the office of prophet and apostle in the early churrch you will see that the office has been done with since the church has been established. I've explained enough of it if you can't grasp it then it's no big deal as it's not a salvation issue. There's not one person on the planet who has the qualifications of a prophet.

You are misunderstanding 1 Corinthian's 13. Verse 8 tells us that prophecies shall cease.

Num. 12:6 "And he said, Hear now my words: If there be a prophet among you, the LORD will make myself known unto him in a vision, [and] will speak unto him in a dream."

Jer. 28:9. "The prophet which prophesieth of peace, when the word of the prophet shall come to pass, [then] shall the prophet be known, that the LORD hath truly sent him."

I said,

And Barclay said,

Prophets are no longer necessary. The church is established and all the prophecies have been given because the Word is written. The gift of prophecy is different than the office of a prophet.

Most people tend to think that a prophets has only to do with foretelling the future.....this notion is false. A better definition of a prophet is one that speaks under divine inspiration. So basically any and all of God's people can and are prophets.

Greek Strong's Number: 4396
Prophets
Greek Word: προφήτης
Transliteration: prophētēs
Phonetic Pronunciation: prof-ay'-tace
Root: from a compound of <G4253> and <G5346>
Cross Reference: TDNT - 6:781,952
Part of Speech: n m
Vine's Words: Prophet

from a compound of <G4253> (pro) and <G5346> (phemi); a foreteller (“prophet”); by analogy an inspired speaker; by extension a poet :- prophet.

— Strong's Talking Greek & Hebrew Dictionary

Hebrew Strong's Number: 5030
Prophet
Hebrew Word: ‏נָבִיא‎
Transliteration: nābîʾ
Root: from <H5012>
Cross Reference: TWOT - 1277a
Part of Speech: n m
Vine's Words: Prophesy (To)

from <H5012> (naba'); a prophet or (generical) inspired
man :- prophecy, that prophesy, prophet.

— Strong's Talking Greek & Hebrew Dictionary

Genesis 20:7
He is a prophet, and he shall pray for thee—The word prophet, which we have from the Greek προφητες, and which is compounded of προ, before, and φημι, I speak, means, in its general acceptation, one who speaks of things before they happen, i.e., one who foretells future events. But that this was not the original notion of the word, its use in this place sufficiently proves. Abraham certainly was not a prophet in the present general acceptation of the term, and for the Hebrew ‏נביא‎ nabi, we must seek some other meaning. I have, in a discourse entitled "The Christian Prophet and his Work," proved that the proper ideal meaning of the original word is to pray, entreat, make supplication, etc., and this meaning of it I have justified at large both from its application in this place, and from its pointed use in the case of Saul, mentioned 1 Samuel 10, and from the case of the priests of Baal, 1 Kings 18, where prophesying most undoubtedly means making prayer and supplication.
— Adam Clarke's Commentary

HeroOfGod

Aug 11, 2010
only 7 months , and the final 1260 days begin... before that the Rapture & Sudden Destruction & New World order have to take place...

tim_from_pa

Jul 11, 2007
Well, I'll give the OP credit that Christ's supposed return happens on the Day of Atonement.

Whenever someone, such as Camping, makes the prediction, the first thing I do is check on the phase of the moon of the supposed date. Why? Because the Hebrew calendar was always based on the lunar cycle to start their months, and God's prophetic calendar is based on the feasts which depending on which one a person is talking about is new moon, maybe waxing gibbous (e.g. the Day of Atonement) or most of them are at full moon.

Because of the mention of the trumpet in the second Coming, I always associated it with the feast of Trumpets (New Moon) if anything. Jesus' reference to "no man knows the day or hour" is an allusion to the feast of Trumpets when they first tried to sight the moon for the start of the 7th month. This was uncertain given that the ecliptic made a shallow angle with the horizon, and sighting the new moon was trickier at that time since the movement of the moon was more azimuthal each day. People did not know which day or hour that the witnesses would suddenly come forth, and the Trumpet would suddenly sound starting their Holy month.

As expected in the case of Camping, the moon was nowhere near any notable calendar position which means to me that he went by a Gentile calendar without regards to the moon and not God's Sacred Calendar. You can always tell the ignorant, clueless ones this way. God's feasts were prophetic shadows of things to come.

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
I said,
There's not one person on the planet who has the qualifications of a prophet.

Duckybill said,
How do you know that?
I know that because I know the biblical criteria and purpose for prophets. I'm also convinced that they are no longer useful or necessary.

Buzzfruit said,
Most people tend to think that a prophets has only to do with foretelling the future.....this notion is false. A better definition of a prophet is one that speaks under divine inspiration. So basically any and all of God's people can and are prophets.

I agree but it goes further than that. Not only did they speak by divine inspiration but being a prophet was a position (office bearrer) that had specific functions and dealt with specific issues and spoke to significant people. (the OT &NT fathers) As you will see. (I hope)

When most people think of prophets they associate them with the major and minor prophets of the Old Testament, Jesus, his apostles, and John the Revelator of the New Testament. People associate prophets with predicting the future because that's mostly what we read in the bible. Both in the Old and New Testament they often 'spoke forth' God's will for Israel and His people. And they received the message from God the Holy Spirit and often spoke it to significant people as well as predict the future. Prophets were often in exile.

Other than what we read in the Old and New Testament books, the Didache is the authority on the office of the prophets.
The apostles and prophets of the NT were a position and an office. They had specific functions and went from church to church 'telling forth' God's Will for the establishment of the church. They were to receive no money, were only meant to stay for no more than 2 days, had no family and had no place to live. They were subject to abuse as they often extended their stay and accepted money and lived large at the expense of the congregation. There were no prophets between the Testaments and John the Baptist is actually considered the last OT prophet. And there were no prophets after the New Testament was established.

The NT prophets became 'obsolete' in the sense that after the church was established and the foundation was laid they were no longer necessary.
Apostles and prophets were the foundation of the emerging New Testament church. Apostles were at the top of the church hierarchy and prophets were second.
You are mistaken to believe that we are all prophets.
I've predicted things that came to pass but that doesn't make me a prophet. Today we are disciples, have deacons, and are able to prophesy, but that in no way makes us prophets.

Luke 16:15 And he said unto them, ye are they which justify yourselves before men; but God knoweth your hearts: for that which is highly esteemed among men is abomination in the sight of God.
16 The law and the prophets were until John: since that time the kingdom of God is preached, and every man presseth into it.
Luke 16:15 clearly states that "the law and the prophets were until John." This must be understood as OT prophets.

Hebrews 1:1 ¶God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,

2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;
It's obvious that the prophets had a specific purpose, message and function and dealt with significant people. The office was not meant for the generic you and I.

Ephesians 3:5 says that the mystery concerning the church has been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets through the Holy Spirit. This indicates that the prophets dealt with important issues concerning the establishment of the church and the mystery concerning the church was revealed to the prophets by the Holy Spirit. The things revealed to them was that the gentiles were fellow heirs. The revelation of this mystery was fulfilled in the first century and for the establishment of the church.
In nearly every instance where prophets are mentioned they are dealing with an important message from God the Holy Spirit and the message was meant for a specific person.

Ephesians 3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
Ephesians 2:19  Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20  And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21  In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22  In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

After a foundation is built there is no longer any need for the foundation crew to build anything above. Everything is built upon it. The apostles and prophets laid down the foundation and established the NT church. Their functions and mission are well described in the Didache. Both offices have since expired. Today we are disciples, deacons, and are able to prophesy.

Now that the church is established and we have the Word of God where all prophecy has been given by the prophets......there's no longer a need for prophets and apostles There's not one person on the planet who fulfills the biblical criteria of a prophet describe in scripture and the Didache anyway.

Remember what Barclay said?
The prophets became a problem. As the church grew the local organization developed. Each congregation began to grow into an organization which had it's own permanent minister and local administration. Before long the settled ministry began to resent the intrusion of these wandering prophets who often disturbed their congregations. The settled ministry always tends to resent the itinerant evangelist. The inevitable result was that bit by bit the prophets faded out, and the settled ministry was supreme.

The office of the prophet was singularly liable to abuse. These prophetic wanderers had a very considerable prestige. Some of them abused their office and made it an excuse for living a very comfortable life at the expense of the congregation whom they visited. The earliest book of church administration is the Didache, the teachings of the twelve apostles which dates back to just after A.D. 100. In it both the prestige and the suspicion of the prophets is clearly seen.....

It is laid down that a wandering prophet may stay one or two days with a congregation, but if he wishes to stay 3 days he is a false prophet....or if he demands money...he's a false prophet. There were days when the prophets were the real messengers of God to the church and it was so in the day of Paul. But the time came when these wandering prophets were an anachronism, (An anachronism is anything that is out of place in the time period it has been placed in) when some of them brought discredit on their office, and in the end vanished from the scene.

This is the best I can do to explain why there are no longer prophets and apostles. You can believe what you like but are very mistaken to believe we are all prophets. But tell me.
Jesus is the Prophet like unto Moses. The Muslim's would like you to believe that prophet is Muhammad. So are we a prophet like unto Jesus???
According to the biblical criteria I've described. Who do you believe is a prophet today?

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
I said,
There's not one person on the planet who has the qualifications of a prophet.

Duckybill said,

I know that because I know the biblical criteria and purpose for prophets. I'm also convinced that they are no longer useful or necessary.

Buzzfruit said,

I agree but it goes further than that. Not only did they speak by divine inspiration but being a prophet was a position (office bearrer) that had specific functions and dealt with specific issues and spoke to significant people. (the OT &NT fathers) As you will see. (I hope)

When most people think of prophets they associate them with the major and minor prophets of the Old Testament, Jesus, his apostles, and John the Revelator of the New Testament. People associate prophets with predicting the future because that's mostly what we read in the bible. Both in the Old and New Testament they often 'spoke forth' God's will for Israel and His people. And they received the message from God the Holy Spirit and often spoke it to significant people as well as predict the future. Prophets were often in exile.

Other than what we read in the Old and New Testament books, the Didache is the authority on the office of the prophets.
The apostles and prophets of the NT were a position and an office. They had specific functions and went from church to church 'telling forth' God's Will for the establishment of the church. They were to receive no money, were only meant to stay for no more than 2 days, had no family and had no place to live. They were subject to abuse as they often extended their stay and accepted money and lived large at the expense of the congregation. There were no prophets between the Testaments and John the Baptist is actually considered the last OT prophet. And there were no prophets after the New Testament was established.

The NT prophets became 'obsolete' in the sense that after the church was established and the foundation was laid they were no longer necessary.
Apostles and prophets were the foundation of the emerging New Testament church. Apostles were at the top of the church hierarchy and prophets were second.
You are mistaken to believe that we are all prophets.
I've predicted things that came to pass but that doesn't make me a prophet. Today we are disciples, have deacons, and are able to prophesy, but that in no way makes us prophets.

Luke 16:15 clearly states that "the law and the prophets were until John." This must be understood as OT prophets.

It's obvious that the prophets had a specific purpose, message and function and dealt with significant people. The office was not meant for the generic you and I.

Ephesians 3:5 says that the mystery concerning the church has been revealed to His holy apostles and prophets through the Holy Spirit. This indicates that the prophets dealt with important issues concerning the establishment of the church and the mystery concerning the church was revealed to the prophets by the Holy Spirit. The things revealed to them was that the gentiles were fellow heirs. The revelation of this mystery was fulfilled in the first century and for the establishment of the church.
In nearly every instance where prophets are mentioned they are dealing with an important message from God the Holy Spirit and the message was meant for a specific person.

Ephesians 3:5 Which in other ages was not made known unto the sons of men, as it is now revealed unto his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit;
Ephesians 2:19  Now therefore ye are no more strangers and foreigners, but fellowcitizens with the saints, and of the household of God;
20  And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone;
21  In whom all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in the Lord:
22  In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of God through the Spirit.

After a foundation is built there is no longer any need for the foundation crew to build anything above. Everything is built upon it. The apostles and prophets laid down the foundation and established the NT church. Their functions and mission are well described in the Didache. Both offices have since expired. Today we are disciples, deacons, and are able to prophesy.

Now that the church is established and we have the Word of God where all prophecy has been given by the prophets......there's no longer a need for prophets and apostles There's not one person on the planet who fulfills the biblical criteria of a prophet describe in scripture and the Didache anyway.

Remember what Barclay said?

This is the best I can do to explain why there are no longer prophets and apostles. You can believe what you like but are very mistaken to believe we are all prophets. But tell me.
Jesus is the Prophet like unto Moses. The Muslim's would like you to believe that prophet is Muhammad. So are we a prophet like unto Jesus???
According to the biblical criteria I've described. Who do you believe is a prophet today?

During the Great Tribulation; just before the return of Jesus two prophets are mentioned.

God two witnesses – prophets
Revelation 11:10 (ASV)
[sup]10 [/sup]And they that dwell on the earth rejoice over them, and make merry; and they shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwell on the earth.

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
During the Great Tribulation; just before the return of Jesus two prophets are mentioned.

God two witnesses – prophets
Revelation 11:10 (ASV)
[sup]10 [/sup]And they that dwell on the earth rejoice over them, and make merry; and they shall send gifts one to another; because these two prophets tormented them that dwell on the earth.

That's right and who do most people suspect these two prophets are?

Most people who believe that prophets are still functioning in the church today are Pentecostals.

Buzzfruit

Aug 21, 2011
Bronx, New York, U.S.A
That's right and who do most people suspect these two prophets are?

Most people who believe that prophets are still functioning in the church today are Pentecostals.

I won't speculate since it does not say. But it really does not matter if other denominations believe or not. Prophets are still prophets even if the Church does not believe there are still prophets today.

revturmoil

Feb 26, 2011
I won't speculate since it does not say. But it really does not matter if other denominations believe or not. Prophets are still prophets even if the Church does not believe there are still prophets today.
Well it does matter. Someone is right and someone is wrong. Ask any Baptist or any other minister or pastor other than a Pentecostal if there are apostles and prophets today and see what they say.

BibleScribe

Jun 17, 2011
S.W. USA

Well it does matter. Someone is right and someone is wrong. Ask any Baptist or any other minister or pastor other than a Pentecostal if there are apostles and prophets today and see what they say.

Very strange, -- LOL.

To All,

As Buzzfruit correctly inferred, TRUTH is not a matter of popular opinion. It's absolute. :)

BibleScribe

Cooter

Jun 14, 2011
N E Ohio
Basically 2012 is NOT the end of the World, but I ensure you that a major event will take place in 2012, one year from now...

Barack Obama (The Antichrist) will sit in the Temple of God (could be a tent-like structure, NOT the 3rd temple) and declare to be God. Now then this will be on 11 April 2012.

(The Rapture will take place sometime before that day - meaning sometime in the next 12 months!)

The 1260 day (42 month / 3.5 year) Great Tribulation begins on that very day (11 April 2012) and Jesus Christ, the Lord of Lords, and the King of Kings comes back to earth at the Battle of Armageddon on 23 September 2015.

This is no speculation! This is divinely confirmed!

Futurist Pentecostal preacher Charles Price wrote a book that conclusively and without a doubt proved that Benito Mussolini was the Antichrist. Upon hearing about his demise Price commented "Thank God all the books were sold."

We'll await your apology as well.