Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone? (Poll included)

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Faith-based tattoo: as a result of one, did you ever talk with someone?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I haven't considered it lately, but I have just begun going to a church nearby my new place, and I have been meeting a lot of people there. I'll keep my eye out for any tattoos and let you know what I find.
@Rudometkin So does your wife like the new church also?

So I guess you mean that if you find others in the church are inked up with faith based designs, it might make it more likely that you also would actively pursue the idea of receiving something similar?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Farouk you have been open about a lot of things and I appreciate it.

I believe the bible when it says when it's in the power of your hands to give thanks and uplifting to others to do so........
@L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d I expect you get regular opportunities now to talk to people about what your tattoo designs refer to, right? even as you plan your next ones.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I was thinking about it a few weeks ago when I heard talk about Christians and tattoos on an FM radio station while driving to work. It was as if the talk hosts were reading the discussions directly from this thread! I thought that was neat. They were discussing possible pros and cons for getting tattoos and faith based tattoos, and the opportunities and consequences that might come with it.
Back a bit @Rudometkin I think it's become a coming of age thing for many young Christians: right on the verge of adulthood relishing being needled with ink about the faith they already hold dear. (If this makes any sense?)

FYI: This mother of young adults seems to recognize it for what it indeed is:

M.B. said:
My youngest son wanted a tattoo, the night of the day he turned 18 he went and got tattoo, one he designed and paid for. Now 3 of4 of my children have tatoos, the oldest daughter was the first, she now has four... My oldest son, her twin brother has a tattoo also that he designed as did the youngest design his own - both are crosses with three circles intertwined depicting the Trinity.
source: mamapedia dot com

Rudometkin

Sep 14, 2020
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Rudometkin So does your wife like the new church also?

So I guess you mean that if you find others in the church are inked up with faith based designs, it might make it more likely that you also would actively pursue the idea of receiving something similar?

She does like the new church a lot. In fact, she gets upset if we don't go. Whereas some days I could be happier staying at home listening to a sermon from Don Fortner!

I don't think I will ever get any tattoos, no matter the people around me, just because the deep desire is not there... But I must admit...you have got me noticing people's tattoos and looking closely to see if they are faith based or not.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
PS: @BeyondET You must have parlors in the port city of Portsmouth, right? since traditionally it was sailors that received them...

(Nowadays in North America it's just as likely homeschooling moms, preachers' daughters, etc., that receive them also.....)

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken I thought what Nancy says in the quote referred to immediately above: nowadays it seems almost unusual when young ppl don't have a tattoo...

Right. It use to be rather common to see TATS on men who served in the Wars & Conflicts, and so also now not unusual to see TATS on older women as well as young. Some are done with beautiful artistry, some hideous, some rather stupid...the face, eyeball tats are the worst.
Still not my cup of tea. ;)

Reactions: farouk

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Right. It use to be rather common to see TATS on men who served in the Wars & Conflicts, and so also now not unusual to see TATS on older women as well as young. Some are done with beautiful artistry, some hideous, some rather stupid...

@Taken

Heavenhome made exactly the same comment in her post:

Heavenhome said:
My dear Dad had two tattoos but that was from his navy days.
I have noticed however that lots of young girls have them and what is really noticeable is a huge amount are women say around their sixties .
christianforums

She is exactly right.

It can't be denied.

To profusion it's a chosen means of expression among young women and among older women that is done, confidently and naturally - even more so now than among men - and in expressing what's on their hearts a demographic proportion of the ink will likely express faith.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Taken

Heavenhome made exactly the same comment in her post:

Heavenhome said:

She is exactly right.

It can't be denied.

To profusion it's a chosen means of expression among young women and among older women that is done, confidently and naturally - even more so now than among men - and in expressing what's on their hearts a demographic proportion of the ink will likely express faith.

Sure (specific regarding older women). sometimes it is about “faith”...and many times it is not, and really, not that appealing, IMO.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
so many people and friends I know have them. All four of my kids have at-least 1 on them somewhere. My 2 boys have the most and girls have 1 ..

@Christophany Well, it's how ppl often express what's on their hearts.

All the young ppl with whom I have spoken with Bible verses tattooed seem to have had them done as witness tools, anyway.

(You won't be surprised if your kids get more tattoos...though none very recently, I guess?)

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I like this thought.
Thank you,brother and friend !
@L3astAm0ngManyB13ss3d

Anyway, tattooing experiences are known indeed to bring encouragement; it probably was likely all along that you would feel encouraged and thrilled once you went ahead and had your inking experiences; this is what Rita said:

I love the tattoo..the tattoo was not liberating-the tattoo represented the liberation and freedom that the Lord had brought me through...With me it was more an inspiration..
I felt good about it. ..I was 50 when I had mine done, and two of my sons had various tattoos long before me..I made the decision with a mature head on my shoulders. ..shortly after getting my tattoo done .. the dentist ask me about it - it opened up a conversation that would not have come about at all..( I had weighed everything up , talked to my pastor, reflected on scripture ) The conversation surprised me, and it did serve as an encouragment at the time. I have had quite a few conversations at work when people notice it.