Female Pastors

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Being that the Apostle Paul specifically spoke against allowing women to preach, I wonder why some people insist on contradicting him.
Is there scriptural support for contradicting Paul, or do people contradict him because his instruction isn't emotionally pleasing?
Dodo,

You might like to clarify the above - one might think you are saying a woman cannot preach the Gospel?

Context.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
In the spirit there is neither male or female but, how many walk in the Spirit.

1Co 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?

For those who walk in the Spirit it is of no consequence but for those who walk after the flesh it will always be an issue. let God be God He will use whom He chooses in spite of your unbelief.

As for being His sheep, Jesus said, " My sheep hear My voice and will follow no other", if you are not hearing His voice how can you be His sheep.

I am the Good Shepherd and know My sheep, and am known of Mine.

So many claim to be His sheep, yet so few hear His voice.

In all His Love

Reactions: dragonfly

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Dodo_David said:
Being that the Apostle Paul specifically spoke against allowing women to preach, I wonder why some people insist on contradicting him.
Is there scriptural support for contradicting Paul, or do people contradict him because his instruction isn't emotionally pleasing?
Purity said:
Dodo,

You might like to clarify the above - one might think you are saying a woman cannot preach the Gospel?

Context.
Seriously?

Why do you think that some denominations don't permit women to be pastors?
It is because of what the Apostle Paul said.

1 Timothy 2:12: "I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man."

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
seems to me like we are burying our treasure by not allowing qualified women to be ministers - are we afraid that our master will be angry? Instead, I think He will be disappointed if we barr women based on 2,000 year old social norms.....

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
aspen2 said:
seems to me like we are burying our treasure by not allowing qualified women to be ministers - are we afraid that our master will be angry? Instead, I think He will be disappointed if we barr women based on 2,000 year old social norms.....
I was not aware that 1 Timothy 2:12 was a social norm.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dodo_David said:
I was not aware that 1 Timothy 2:12 was a social norm.
That is because we are taught to read it universally - but it was written to a specific person and Paul was not free from the trappings of his culture. Jesus trusted two women to be the first people to share The news of His resurrection - I trust them, as well. You may be tempted to quibble between being an evangelist and being a minister, but this example supports the argument for women in the pulpit much more than Paul's writings speak against slavery. In the case of slavery, we recognized it as evil without Paul - he told Philomon to return to his master. I do not think he was speaking in universal support of slavery in this case, nor do I believe that he was trying to place universal limits on the pulpit.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
aspen2 said:
That is because we are taught to read it universally - but it was written to a specific person and Paul was not free from the trappings of his culture. Jesus trusted two women to be the first people to share The news of His resurrection - I trust them, as well. You may be tempted to quibble between being an evangelist and being a minister, but this example supports the argument for women in the pulpit much more than Paul's writings speak against slavery. In the case of slavery, we recognized it as evil without Paul - he told Philomon to return to his master. I do not think he was speaking in universal support of slavery in this case, nor do I believe that he was trying to place universal limits on the pulpit.
All I really wanted to know is how people are interpreting 1 Timothy 2:12.

aspen2, I appreciate your response.

Purity

May 20, 2013
Melbourne
Dodo_David said:
Seriously?

Why do you think that some denominations don't permit women to be pastors?
It is because of what the Apostle Paul said.

1 Timothy 2:12: "I do not permit a woman to teach or to assume authority over a man."
You still did not clarify.

Can a woman preach the Gospel?

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
All I really wanted to know is how people are interpreting 1 Timothy 2:12.
The bible is not open to your, mine or anyone elses interpretation why do you think religion is so screwed up. Christ said he would give us the Holy Spirit, to teach us the truth, not to teach us the bible, not to interret the bible but teach us the truth, untill you go to Christ who is the truth, you are just swimmimg with teh tide of countless christans who dont know the truth.

" I am teh WAY the TRUTH and the LIFE sayds the Lord, NO MAN shall go to heaven except through me".

God will use women wheter any one disagrees or not, He cares little for the thoughts of men, who love to lock shackles around His feet than cry out " why are you not doing anything",

Because you wont let Him.

in all His Love

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
That is because we are taught to read it universally - but it was written to a specific person and Paul was not free from the trappings of his culture.
But the Holy Spirit was and he inspired the writing of scripture.

Jesus trusted two women to be the first people to share The news of His resurrection - I trust them, as well.
That's a new one. Jesus trusted two women to be the first to share the news of his resurrection so that means they are qualified, to preach, to lead churches and have authority over men.

You may be tempted to quibble between being an evangelist and being a minister, but this example supports the argument for women in the pulpit much more than Paul's writings speak against slavery.
What pulpit? They met together in homes around the meal table to fellowship and learn from EACH OTHER.

nor do I believe that he was trying to place universal limits on the pulpit.
What the one that did not exist?

zhavoney

Son Of Man
Aug 25, 2013
101G said:
Question, "Can a Pastor to the body of Christ, (the church), be female/woman?”. notice the language I'm using. Pastor to the Body, (the church).
Galatians 3
28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.
If God chooses a female to display His power through. i am not going to stand in His way.

I personally have not met a Female or a Male pastor who has added anything to me.

Galatians 2
6 But from those who seemed to be something--whatever they were, it makes no difference to me; God shows personal favoritism to no man--for those who seemed to be something added nothing to me.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Being that we are still creatures of flesh, we are still going to make errors.

Regarding the permissiblity of female pastors, some Christians prefer to err on the side of caution.

After all, nowhere in the New Testament is it forbidden to have all-male clergy.

zhavoney

Son Of Man
Aug 25, 2013
We are not creatures of the flesh.

Romans 8
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.

Romans 6
13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.

Galatians 5
16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

2 Corinthians 7
1 Therefore, having these promises, beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The words that we speak,

As you said ERRRRRRROOOORRRRRRR, caution, no just no faith in God. we trust people because they call themselves pastor or preacher, but we dont trust the ones that God sends because they have no titles, men or women, even children and old men, God will use whom He chooses and if christians ERRRR on the side of caution than they have missed out on so much that God has to offer, as was posted in the above, walking in the spirit so few christians do. Yes we are creatures of the flesh when we dont walk in the spirit.

In all His Love

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
mjrhealth said:
The words that we speak,

As you said ERRRRRRROOOORRRRRRR, caution, no just no faith in God. we trust people because they call themselves pastor or preacher, but we dont trust the ones that God sends because they have no titles, men or women, even children and old men, God will use whom He chooses and if christians ERRRR on the side of caution than they have missed out on so much that God has to offer, as was posted in the above, walking in the spirit so few christians do. Yes we are creatures of the flesh when we dont walk in the spirit.

In all His Love
So, how are we to know that a particular person was really sent by God?

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I do not think that preaching the Gospel is the same as shepherding a congregation or being a Pastor over the sheep or tending the lambs. These are already counted in the congregation as believers. I have personally preached the Gospel that brought salvation to over 800 people in my walk with God and they are now part of the body of Christ - the Church...Would God reject their confession on account of me being female? or would he accept them because they heard the word - the Good News, believed it and received it with thankfulness?

Selene

Apr 12, 2010
In my house
A woman cannot be a Pastor or a priest. However, she can preach the gospels. All Christians are called to bring the Gospels to non-Christians so that they also can come to know Christ. After all, it was the women who brought the good news first to the Apostles. They were the ones who found the tomb empty and went to tell the Apostles that Christ was risen. So, these women preached the good news first to the Apostles, but they were not priests. Only men can be pastors because they are the head of the household.

zhavoney

Son Of Man
Aug 25, 2013
Dodo_David said:
So, how are we to know that a particular person was really sent by God?
They will come displaying the Power of the Spirit of God as a witness to them.

Angelina said:
I do not think that preaching the Gospel is the same as shepherding a congregation or being a Pastor over the sheep or tending the lambs. These are already counted in the congregation as believers. I have personally preached the Gospel that brought salvation to over 800 people in my walk with God and they are now part of the body of Christ - the Church...Would God reject their confession on account of me being female? or would he accept them because they heard the word - the Good News, believed it and received it with thankfulness?
Amen

Everyone who is doing the will of God by following Christ will by no means lose their reward.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
A woman cannot be a Pastor or a priest.
Thats the world and its ways, its not Gods, The religious make there rules that men must abide by to show themselves to conform to there religion, God has no such Limits. God will use whom He will,and if you choose not to listen that is between you and God,

In all His Love

marksman

My eldest granddaughter showing the result of her
Feb 27, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Dodo_David said:
Being that we are still creatures of flesh, we are still going to make errors.

Regarding the permissiblity of female pastors, some Christians prefer to err on the side of caution.

After all, nowhere in the New Testament is it forbidden to have all-male clergy.
And nowhere in the New Testament does it talk about clergy of any gender.
Angelina said:
I do not think that preaching the Gospel is the same as shepherding a congregation or being a Pastor over the sheep or tending the lambs.
In my considerable study of the New Testament Church, one thing is very obvious. No one was "over" the sheep. All ministries in the new Testament were servant ministries for the simple reason Jesus said if you want to be great you have to serve, NOT laud it over as most pastors, priests, bishops, rectors, vicars, metropolitans, cardinals and popes do.