Finished work of Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just like the tanach and gemmera and sepherim ruled Israel and Jesus condemned that Canon law as well as the man made tradition that nearly all Romanist canon law is.

cannon law is not divine law but administrative

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Finished work of Christ?
Well, he definitely did hang up his Carpentry tools!
And our work continues until we have finished our course! Is our work finished before they shovel the dirt on our faces at physical death?

"Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father." John 14:12

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My error, in that the source I got this from actually said the person administering the meal or priest.

The Passover meal was also celebrated by groups who were not family - as Jesus did with his disciples.

According to a Jewish site the Hallel comes before the drinking of the fourth cup.

That's the point. He hadn't ended the Seder early. He ended it on the cross and declared "Tel Telesti" which means "It Is Finshed" or "It Is Completed".

Jesus was offered wine on at least two occasions before he was crucified. That is when he refused it.
It was when he was on the cross that John (remember he was an eye witness) records that Jesus instigated the offer of the wine when he said "I thirst" (John 19:28). When it was offered John records he received it. (vs 30).

I note that you started your reply " YOu asked for Scripture to rebut this theory, so here it is:"
Yet you offered no scripture just your opinions.
Impressive post. From where did you learn this?

Respectfully, Mary

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Reactions: Marymog

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just like the tanach and gemmera and sepherim ruled Israel and Jesus condemned that Canon law as well as the man made tradition that nearly all Romanist canon law is.
Hmmmm....so according to what your men have taught you Jesus condemned man made tradition even though Scripture says stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.

Once again, what your men have taught you is opposite of what Scripture says....:(

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmmm....so according to what your men have taught you Jesus condemned man made tradition even though Scripture says stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.

Once again, what your men have taught you is opposite of what Scripture says....:(

Well Paul actually said teachings! And he was referring to the teachings that became the NT. And that is not what men taught me but Gods Inspired Word!

Reactions: amigo de christo

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well Paul actually said teachings!
Well, that's what you say because it fits your bias. Others disagree with you:

ESV
So then, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions that you were taught by us, either by our spoken word or by our letter.

Berean Study Bible
Therefore, brothers, stand firm and cling to the traditions we taught you, whether by speech or by letter.

Berean Literal Bible
So then, brothers, stand firm and hold fast to the traditions that you were taught, whether by word, or by letter from us.

King James Bible
Therefore, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye have been taught, whether by word, or our epistle.

New King James Version
Therefore, brethren, stand fast and hold the traditions which you were taught, whether by word or our epistle.

New American Standard Bible
So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold on to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

NASB 1995
So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

NASB 1977
So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

Amplified Bible
So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold [tightly] to the traditions which you were taught, whether by word of mouth or by letter from us.

RSCV
So then, brethren, stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.

Christian Standard Bible
So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold to the traditions you were taught, whether by what we said or what we wrote.

Holman Christian Standard Bible
Therefore, brothers, stand firm and hold to the traditions you were taught, either by our message or by our letter.

American Standard Version
So then, brethren, stand fast, and hold the traditions which ye were taught, whether by word, or by epistle of ours.

Keeping it real...Mary

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well Paul actually said teachings! And he was referring to the teachings that became the NT. And that is not what men taught me but Gods Inspired Word!
So Ronald, your men have taught you that Paul was instructing the flock to hold fast to the already written AND future writings/letters that would eventually become part of our bible known as the NT?

Well, that is an interesting theory HOWEVER did you know that Christians at the time and for MANY years later disagreed on WHICH letters were "Scripture"? Sooooo now how does your theory sound? Answer: Bankrupt.....;)

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved (general cases without making a qualification for the unusual case of someone who believes but is not baptized) but he who does not believe will be condemned. The omission of baptized with "does not believe" shows that Jesus does not make baptism absolutely essential to salvation. Condemnation rests on unbelief, not on a lack of baptism. So salvation rests on belief. *NOWHERE does the Bible say "baptized or condemned."

If water baptism is absolutely required for salvation, then why did Jesus not mention it in the following verses? (3:15,16,18; 5:24; 6:29,40,47; 11:25,26). What is the one requirement that Jesus mentions 9 different times in each of these complete statements? *BELIEVES. *What happened to baptism? *Hermeneutics.

John 3:18 - He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who (is not water baptized? - NO) does not believe is condemned already, because he has not (been water baptized? - NO) because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

To automatically read "baptism" into John 3:5 simply because it mentions "water" is unwarranted. Plain ordinary H20 is not the only water mentioned in scripture. Jesus mentions living water in John 4:10, 14; 7:37-39 and connects it with everlasting life. In John 7:38-39, we read - "He who believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, out of his heart will flow rivers of living water. But this He spoke concerning the Spirit. The Holy Spirit is the source of living water and spiritual cleansing. If "water" is arbitrarily defined as baptism, then we could just as justifiably say, "Out of his heart will flow rivers of living baptism" in John 7:38. If that sounds ridiculous, it is no more so than the idea that water baptism is the source or the means of becoming born again.

Also "water" is used in the Bible as an emblem of the word of God and in such uses it is associated with cleansing or washing. (John 15:3; Ephesians 5:26) When we are born again, the Holy Spirit begets new life so that we are said to become "partakers of the divine nature." (2 Peter 1:4) The new birth is brought to pass through "incorruptible seed, by the word of God, which lives and abides forever" (I Peter 1:23) and the Holy Spirit accomplishes the miracle of regeneration. In Titus 3:5, we read washing of regeneration and renewing of the Holy Spirit, which is a reference to 'spiritual washing' or 'purification of the soul' that is accomplished by the Holy Spirit through the word of God at the moment of salvation. That is in perfect harmony with born of water and the Spirit in John 3:5.

Ezekiel 36:25-27 is not in regards to baptismal regeneration either. Don’t be fooled by Roman Catholicism.

ez 36 Is baptismal regeneration
New heart and the spirit

and the spirit sheds divine love in our new Hearts when we are born again by baptism

Romans 5:5
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
ez 36 Is baptismal regeneration
New heart and the spirit

and the spirit sheds divine love in our new Hearts when we are born again by baptism

Romans 5:5
And hope maketh not ashamed; because the love of God is shed abroad in our hearts by the Holy Ghost which is given unto us.
if only you were aware of your own waffling tf!

Reactions: mailmandan