Finished work of Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where does this doctrine come from?

what is the “it”?

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Colossians 1:24
Who now rejoice in my sufferings for you, and fill up that which is behind of the afflictions of Christ in my flesh for his body's sake, which is the church:

so it’s not the finished work of Christ!

something is lacking?

our participation!

Luke 9:23
And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

Reactions: Reggie Belafonte

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The “it” does not refer to the finished work of Christ as many say, so what does it refer to?

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

what is the “it”?

From the cross when Jesus cried "tetelestai" paid in full! Th efinished work of Christ refers tro the fact that every sin was paid for. NOthing more can be added to or taken away from teh price Jesus paid on teh cross to pay the penalty for sin.

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The theology about the "finished work of Christ" comes from deceivers who teach that there is no obligation to live by God's commandments, even though the Bible clearly shows in Hebrews and the Lev. 23 festivals that Christ's sacrifice was only the beginning of His work.

The logic behind this theology basically says that since Christ supposedly paid for future sins with His death, a Christian is free to sin with impunity.

Reactions: Cassandra

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The theology about the "finished work of Christ" comes from deceivers who teach that there is no obligation to live by God's commandments, even though the Bible clearly shows in Hebrews and the Lev. 23 festivals that Christ's sacrifice was only the beginning of His work.

The logic behind this theology basically says that since Christ supposedly paid for future sins with His death, a Christian is free to sin with impunity.

No that is the logic that deceivers like to accuse people who believe the biblical finished work! We do not believe you can sin with impunity! You only say that because you are shackled to the law instead of grace .

Charles Hadden Spurgeon said it best about people who do not believe Jesus blood did not pay the full price for our redemption: " I wonder if these people who think that jesus alone is not enough, have really ever met the Savior?"

Reactions: Pearl and Jim B

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

what is the “it”?

OK, here is an interesting theory I found recently.

The "it" that was finished was the Passover meal that Jesus had been celebrating with his disciples.
Crazy? Bear with me on this.

The Passover meal has four parts to it. Each one end with the drinking of a cup of wine. There is only one cup of wine mentioned in the gospels. This is the third cup. We know this because it came at the end of the meal. The meal was not started until the first two parts were completed.
This third cup is known as the Cup of Blessing".

Paul writes
The cup of blessing which we bless, is it not a participation in the blood of Christ? (1Cor 10:16)

Then Matthew tells us that they sang a hymn. This would be the Great Hallel (psalms 114-118) which is sung in the fourth part. Normally then they would drink the fourth cup of wine and the presiding priest would close the Passover meal with the words "Tel Telesti" which means "It Is Finshed" or "It Is Completed".
But no fourth cup was drunk. They went out to the Garden of Gethsemane.

But on the cross, just before he dies, Jesus says "I thirst" and a sponge with sour wine ("common wine" in the NAB) is given him. Jesus drank the wine and said "It is finished" meaning the Passover meal is closed, ended. But not just that Passover meal, all Passover meals are ended.

The New Covenant begins. The New Covenant in Jesus' blood.

Reactions: theefaith

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
From the cross when Jesus cried "tetelestai" paid in full! Th efinished work of Christ refers tro the fact that every sin was paid for. NOthing more can be added to or taken away from teh price Jesus paid on teh cross to pay the penalty for sin.
And thus all who do ...............BELIEVE THIS shall be saved . Dont expect me to say the same thing for those who beleive not and deny Him .
Cause POPE francis is wrong . I say YE MUST BELIEVE IN JESUS TO BE SAVED
POPEY says it dont matter , so long as ye have lovey lovey and do good works . Now one of us is wrong
I pray and hope folks figure out which one it is that is wrong . cause me and popey cant both be right .
ONE of us is right the other is wrong . NOW to find out who is right and who is wrong
I POINT US TO THE BIBLE . What JESUS said himself , what john would later echo and others would .
ME , I STICK TO BELIEVE IN JESUS , CONFESS HIM BY MOUTH and BELIEVE FROM THE HEART that GOD has rose HIM from the dead and
you will be saved . OR you can risk believing in what pope francis says and about almost seventy percent of even the protestant realm
THAT GOD IS FINE WITH ALL PATHS , THAT JESUS DOES NOT have to BE BELIEVED IN , and that all you need to do is have you some good works and lovey lovey and ye shall be saved . AS FOR ME . YEAH I STICK TO WHAT JESUS said .
Now tell me , who is right , ME or pope francis . Ponder pray and read that bible well , before you answer .

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
And thus all who do ...............BELIEVE THIS shall be saved . Dont expect me to say the same thing for those who beleive not and deny Him .
Cause POPE francis is wrong . I say YE MUST BELIEVE IN JESUS TO BE SAVED
POPEY says it dont matter , so long as ye have lovey lovey and do good works . Now one of us is wrong
I pray and hope folks figure out which one it is that is wrong . cause me and popey cant both be right .
ONE of us is right the other is wrong . NOW to find out who is right and who is wrong
I POINT US TO THE BIBLE . What JESUS said himself , what john would later echo and others would .
ME , I STICK TO BELIEVE IN JESUS , CONFESS HIM BY MOUTH and BELIEVE FROM THE HEART that GOD has rose HIM from the dead and
you will be saved . OR you can risk believing in what pope francis says and about almost seventy percent of even the protestant realm
THAT GOD IS FINE WITH ALL PATHS , THAT JESUS DOES NOT have to BE BELIEVED IN , and that all you need to do is have you some good works and lovey lovey and ye shall be saved . AS FOR ME . YEAH I STICK TO WHAT JESUS said .
Now tell me , who is right , ME or pope francis . Ponder pray and read that bible well , before you answer .

You are totally WRONG to post that because it is completely off topic.

Try addressing the topic not try a diversion.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You are totally WRONG to post that because it is completely off topic.

Try addressing the topic not try a diversion.
Before you try and have me banned it was on the topic of what ronald did bring up .
Either we choose to believe the gospel or we can just love a lie .
No man can silence the truth of the glorious gosple of JESUS CHRIST .
at most i just get banned as usual . but dont sorrow nor worry for me , I will be just fine and others will speak and point to Christ
the same as me . The lambs win . Cause JESUS has won . what a good home awaits the true lambs at , pardon this expression ,
THEIR END . THEIR END . Now do be enouraged and let us learn our bibles well .

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good bye my friends . I will never compromise nor sit at the table of the CC and this all inclusive gospel .
I care not what this costs me . I care only for the people . Be encouraged everyone . THE LORD is with the true lambs .

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As usual this is total BS from DOAN. No Christian is free to sin with impunity.

When Christ said "It is finished" He proclaimed victoriously that His redemptive work on the cross was finished. He paid the full penalty for the sins of the whole world through (a) His indescribable sufferings, (b) His shed blood, and (c) His sacrificial death as the Lamb of God who took away the sin of the world. So this was indeed the finished work of Christ and there was nothing left to be completed (other than His resurrection).

Here is what Christ said about the "work" that He was sent to do: Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work. (Jn 4:34) I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. (John 17:4) [Note: Here Christ anticipated what He would accomplish on the 14th of Nisan, AD 30.]

Not only was the redemptive work of Christ finished, but the Old Covenant came to an end the the New Covenant in the blood of Christ was established on that day. Therefore the veil in the temple which separated the Holy of Holies from the Holy Place was supernaturally torn from top to both, thus signifying that the way into the heavenly Sanctuary had been opened by Christ.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
As usual this is total BS from DOAN. No Christian is free to sin with impunity.

When Christ said "It is finished" He proclaimed victoriously that His redemptive work on the cross was finished. He paid the full penalty for the sins of the whole world through (a) His indescribable sufferings, (b) His shed blood, and (c) His sacrificial death as the Lamb of God who took away the sin of the world. So this was indeed the finished work of Christ and there was nothing left to be completed (other than His resurrection).

That's your opinion. Scripture doesn't say that.

Here is what Christ said about the "work" that He was sent to do: Jesus saith unto them, My meat is to do the will of him that sent me, and to finish his work. (Jn 4:34) I have glorified thee on the earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. (John 17:4) [Note: Here Christ anticipated what He would accomplish on the 14th of Nisan, AD 30.]

Not only was the redemptive work of Christ finished, but the Old Covenant came to an end the the New Covenant in the blood of Christ was established on that day. Therefore the veil in the temple which separated the Holy of Holies from the Holy Place was supernaturally torn from top to both, thus signifying that the way into the heavenly Sanctuary had been opened by Christ.

Behold

Apr 11, 2020
Netanya or Pensacola
Faith
Christian
Country
Israel
Colossians 1:24

And he said to them all, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross daily, and follow me.

You are describing what you do.
So, that is not what Christ did as His Finished Work.
Christ's finished work, was His shed blood and death on the Cross.
This is why Jesus told YOU from the Cross,..."it is finished".
What is?
= "Salvation".

And because Salvation is finished.....God said THIS : John 3:16

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are describing what you do.
So, that is not what Christ did as His Finished Work.
Christ's finished work, was His shed blood and death on the Cross.
This is why Jesus told YOU from the Cross,..."it is finished".
What is?
= "Salvation".

And because Salvation is finished.....God said THIS : John 3:16

Jesus' works wasn't finished on the cross.

Under the Atonement system that God set up for the Jews, atonement happened not when the offering was sacrificed but when the gift was offered to God by the priest. As high priest Jesus had to take his offering of blood to the father.
Thus Hebrews says:
But when Christ appeared as a high priest of the good things that have come, then through the greater and more perfect tent (not made with hands, that is, not of this creation) he entered once for all into the Holy Place, taking not the blood of goats and calves but his own blood, thus securing an eternal redemption.
Our redemption came when he offered his blood to the Father in heaven.

For the "it" in "it is finished see post #7

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Amen! Christ’s finished work of redemption is sufficient and complete to saves believers. (Romans 3:24-28) No supplements needed.

Reactions: amigo de christo

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Amen! Christ’s finished work of redemption is sufficient and complete to saves believers. (Romans 3:24-28) No supplements needed.

Christ's work of redemption wasn't finished on the cross - see post #17