For God so loved the world, that he gave his only BEGOTTEN Son

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

TonyChanYT

Sep 13, 2023
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
New King James Version, John 3:

16 For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son [G3439], that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
Jesus is God's only begotten son. What does "begotten" mean applying to Jesus?

G3439 (μονογενής, monogenés) occurs 9 times.

HELPS Word-studies:

3439 monogenḗs (from 3411 /misthōtós, "one-and-only" and 1085 /génos, "offspring, stock") – properly, one-and-only; "one of a kind" – literally, "one (monos) of a class, genos" (the only of its kind).
Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

single of its kind ... used of Christ, denotes the only son of God or one who in the sense in which he himself is the son of God has no brethren.
Monogenés means "one and only of its kind". It identifies uniqueness.

English Standard Version didn't think the word "begotten" here is helpful:

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
Jesus is the unique-monogenḗs Son of God. He is the only one of his kind.

See also Abraham offered up his only BEGOTTEN son.

Reactions: Nancy

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It means he was conceived in a woman's womb and born as all humans are born. All God's other sons and daughters are adopted into his family by being re-born spiritually.

Last edited:
Reactions: WalterandDebbie

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
New King James Version, John 3:

G3439 (μονογενής, monogenés) occurs 9 times.

HELPS Word-studies:

Thayer's Greek Lexicon:

Monogenés means "one and only of its kind". It identifies uniqueness.

English Standard Version didn't think the word "begotten" here is helpful:

See also Abraham offered up his only BEGOTTEN son.
Yes, very important. Similar to this is an issue that is raised when we speak of our participation in the divine nature, in having Christ in us. "For us to live is Christ." Some wrongly begin to teach that having Christ we become "sons of God" in the same way, as if the way we have God is no different from the way Christ has God, that in giving us what he has Christ has endowed us with his own Deity.

I believe that Faith Doctrine makes this error. When it is said that we will do greater things than Christ it is thought that we will have a greater measure of Christ's ability, as God, to do miracles on demand. In reality, Christ was only speaking of the length of time we may have to minister for him because his life was cut short, having to go to the cross. We will never achieve his ability to do miracles on demand.

Some think that we can achieve what Christ had in terms of holiness, that we can, at times, become "sinless" as he was sinless. But only Christ was sinless in his mortal body. We do not achieve in these mortal, sin-infected bodies what only Christ, as God, could achieve. We can participate in his righteousness, but we do not have his divine ability to be sinless in our mortal bodies. We will achieve sinless holiness only in the resurrection.

No, Christ maintains a uniqueness about him, an exclusive identity with Deity. We may share in Divine *nature,* but we in no way share in the Divine Identity, nor in all of the powers that belong exclusively to the "Word made Flesh."

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Well, only in that all first born children are one of a kind - until other children come along. Begotten means made, created as in pro-created.

It cannot be that we are children of God and Jesus is still the only son of God AND it makes sense. This is why Pearl added the non-Biblical qualifier 'spiritual,' to create an artificial dichotomy.

Acts 17:31 emphasizes that God selected this man. Colossians 3:12 points out that we too are chosen by God. John 1:12 says that we too are sons and daughters of God. So, while Jesus was the only son of God, as all firstborns are, he is no longer the only son of God. This is the theological inheritance the Bible speaks of. Jesus is one of ‘us’ (teaching us to pray to God as a brother to our father), not one of ‘them’ (pray to me or to F, S & HS).

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus being the only begotten Son of God--means He is an only child--(the only Son [actually] born of the Spirit). Meaning that the common understanding of "many sons of God" is not what it would otherwise appear to be.

The point and meaning, is that just as "Levi, who receives tithes, paid tithes through Abraham, so to speak, for he was still in the loins of his father when Melchizedek met him", so too we are only "sons (or daughters) of God" if we are "in Christ." In other words, just as "in Adam all die" and "in Christ all shall be made alive", there is an unfolding of all in Adam, and a refolding of all in Christ before the resurrection--which by the definition of the word, indicates that only One is "begotten."

The language simply does not do justice to the common thinking or understanding of what it is to be born, whether of the flesh or of the Spirit. Likewise, the so-called Trinity wherein the common thinking is three being One, or that it was correct for Jesus to say, "I and the Father are One." Thus, whether it is a problem of language or that of comprehension--indeed, there is a need for the "renewing" of our minds.

Last edited:

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, very important. Similar to this is an issue that is raised when we speak of our participation in the divine nature, in having Christ in us. "For us to live is Christ." Some wrongly begin to teach that having Christ we become "sons of God" in the same way, as if the way we have God is no different from the way Christ has God, that in giving us what he has Christ has endowed us with his own Deity.

I believe that Faith Doctrine makes this error. When it is said that we will do greater things than Christ it is thought that we will have a greater measure of Christ's ability, as God, to do miracles on demand. In reality, Christ was only speaking of the length of time we may have to minister for him because his life was cut short, having to go to the cross. We will never achieve his ability to do miracles on demand.

Some think that we can achieve what Christ had in terms of holiness, that we can, at times, become "sinless" as he was sinless. But only Christ was sinless in his mortal body. We do not achieve in these mortal, sin-infected bodies what only Christ, as God, could achieve. We can participate in his righteousness, but we do not have his divine ability to be sinless in our mortal bodies. We will achieve sinless holiness only in the resurrection.

No, Christ maintains a uniqueness about him, an exclusive identity with Deity. We may share in Divine *nature,* but we in no way share in the Divine Identity, nor in all of the powers that belong exclusively to the "Word made Flesh."
Wow. I totally disagree with you answer. God has given us a way back to live and reign. And his name is Jesus. From psalms 82 6 , John 10.34 35, John 14.2, 2 cor 5.21, John 3.24, rom 8.17, eph 4.7, rev 3.21. There are many more that show not only the divinity of Jesus but also the divinity of man.

Your statement has limited God in your life and put Him in a box. Please let Him out.

Here is what God says about his son his Christ and our savior

Rev 3 14 the only begotten
These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;

Last edited:

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow. I totally disagree with you answer. God has given us a way back to live and reign. And his name is Jesus. From psalms 82 6 , John 10.34 35, John 14.2, 2 cor 5.21, John 3.24, rom 8.17, eph 4.7, rev 3.21. There are many more that show not only the divinity of Jesus but also the divinity of man.

Your statement has limited God in your life and put Him in a box. Please let Him out.

Here is what God says about his son his Christ and our savior

Rev 3 14 the only begotten
These things saith the Amen, the faithful and true witness, the beginning of the creation of God;
You think you share with Christ the Divine identity? That's heresy.

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You think you share with Christ the Divine identity? That's heresy.
Wow. Someone up at the same time I am
Brother. Just as mortal fathers want the best for their children, God wants the best for His. Please read those versus i added. There are many more. If you believe it is heresy then you are listening to a denominational preacher for way too long.
Please Believe the words of the Bible over the words at the pulpit. What you have been taught is the traditions of man.

Randy Kluth

Apr 27, 2020
Pacific NW
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow. Someone up at the same time I am
Brother. Just as mortal fathers want the best for their children, God wants the best for His. Please read those versus i added. There are many more. If you believe it is heresy then you are listening to a denominational preacher for way too long.
Please Believe the words of the Bible over the words at the pulpit. What you have been taught is the traditions of man.
I've been a Pentecostal for over 50 years, but I soon learned that many of the leaders and theologians lack something, forcing me to face life independent of the Pentecostal "baggage." Gradually, I've seen Pentecostal Theology self-correct to some degree, just I've had to.

For example, much of the fanaticism and occultism that was mixed in with early Pentecostal phenomena has gradually been cleaned out. And many of the scandals have forced us to take a 2nd look at our presuppositions. The Holy Spirit starts with us as individuals and with new movements without a whole lot of discretion, because those who are open to the moving of God are often immature, flawed and "simple," and "vulnerable" to suggestion. But we are also open to God.

But over time, God cleanses us from a lot of wrong views and wrong attitudes, just as He wants us to grow up in holiness. What I won't do is just carry the party line, preferring to follow the Spirit for myself, according to my own conscience, the best that I can. But I also remain in submission to others, to the degree they are in submission to Christ.

Faith Doctrine is a fraud. Faith Teaching, if it is balanced, is good. But Faith Doctrine tries to predict what God will do in each situation. We just need the right "pin number," or the correct "code," in order to get our miracles. It might be "removing all doubt," or it might be "planting seeds of offerings." But there really is no way to make God do a miracle on our behalf unless we 1st appeal to God for His will.

Some will say that it's always God's will to do good, though we get to define what "good" is. This won't work. Miracles happen, but God conducts the symphony. We just plan the tune that God gives us, and obey as the song continues.

But that's just Faith Doctrine. In the matter of theology I have concerns about those who wrongly describe our new nature in Christ. Flesh and Spirit are not "mixed" in our new nature, as one cult describes it, to create a weird hybrid animal. We live in the flesh, and Christ has come to rule in our lives as Lord in our hearts. We overcome the flesh by regularly preferring the ways of the Spirit, as Christ within us prefers.

We do not become "part God," able to do anything Christ did, who was God, since we are not God. Christ had a unique identity as God we will never have. And that means we, as sinners, will be able to do some of the things he did, but not all.

We can live new lives, but we cannot be perfect. He resisted sins outside of his body. We resist sins within our body. He chooses what we should do. We obey him.

But we cannot decide things, spiritually, apart from Christ. And that is the main thing. Christ relied on his Father. But we can't rely on the Father directly, but only through Christ. That way, we show that we do not have the full rights of Deity to determine our own course. We must always seek God's will.

Man was created to be subservient to God. Christ had the full rights of a Divine Son. We do not have the same rights, but must defer to Christ as representative of God's authority over us.

I've read every Scripture you could ever throw at me. If you wish to make a point about any particular Scripture, feel free. I'm interested.

XFire

May 14, 2022
San jose
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again I would like to continue this discussion. first my beliefs:
I use the KJV and believe the words in the bible over the words from man! With that said I do not believe the traditions of man: A flat interpretation, added or removed doctrine that does not match the words in the bible.

Any theory, doctrine or story from man that adds to or removes from I believe is or would be my downfall.

Faith Doctrine is a fraud. First off I had to look this up. I agree with you on that but I believe in Rom 12.3 that we have the same measure of faith that Christ was given, And the back up scripture for that is John 14:12.

I believe Gods will is good and for each of us to live in complete love. My opinion is that since we are all created in His image then how can we judge another creation of God. That does not erase discernment but you get the idea.

and you are right that we do not become part of God as that is how he made us to be: again please read all the versus i sent on the original response.

Gods will is the same as the parable of the sower. since there is seed in all of Gods creation: Gods will is for all of us to multiply. In kind, in gifts, in love. That's what living waters are. If we stop the flow of blessings at us then we have stopped Gods blessing to be a blessing and multiplication to multiply us. We minister to others by the overflow that God has given us.

And I agree that we are the branch and Jesus is the vine and God is the husbandman. So anytime that we do things outside of the agreement with the will of God then that decision is considered sin.

sorry I just saw where you said you are reading all that I sent. we are spirit sole and body. God made us the righteousness before at the atonement: This was so that He and Christ can dwell in us.

In Gen 1 26-28 and again at the atonement we have been given dominion over the earth. when Paul says that we are joint heirs with Jesus then I have to look and remind myself that even Jesus stated in John 10.34-36 has said that the scripture can not be broken. And if that is so then we are partakers of the divinity of God the Father as Jesus is.

I have decided to start a new thread on the divinity of man. Please look in the next couple of days and comment there also.

So here is my short version of my case for who we are:

We were created in Gods image
We were given the same measure of faith, Spirit, and grace as Jesus.
We were made the righteousness of God at the atonement
Christ has prepared us mansions and promised to come back for us so that we can live in those mansions
We are given the title of joint heirs with Jesus
Jesus states we will do more that Him as far as miracles (btw: Peter and Paul both did)
Its Gods will for us to produce as seed bringing to pass 30, 60 or 100fold.

So it seems that I am to reflect all that what God wants me to be. And therefore I should not limit God.
A good place to start might be awmi.net at the listen pages.