For those who don't believe in prophets today....explain this

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They were pricked to the heart, which indicates that they were convicted by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit convicts unbelievers (John 16:8-9).

Reactions: Dave L
D

Dave L

Yes...I have covered it.

The point which seems to have escaped you, is that by those whom are the living in Christ, to whom He as returned, Christ is with us until the end of the age, during which time it is no longer we who are in Him who live, but Christ who lives in us. Which indeed means there are no more prophets because it is not a prophet who speaks, but Christ, whom continues the gift of prophecy to those of every generation. But then again, that is true of all prophets...which I would have to say is another point of confusion on your part - as you have been treating prophecy as men speaking. In which case, I refer you to the old term: "man of God." Nonetheless, there are also false prophets, even as there word in the days of old. That is the way of the world.

So, no, just as there are no prophets of God except by the word of Christ, there are no interpretations except by those who are not in Him. As Jesus said, "We speak what we know." And yet for one who denies the very idea and has closed that door until what you have incorrectly understood to be the end...you are in no position to comment - to question, yes, but not to have authority. You are one guilty of interpretations based on your own understanding.

Keep knocking.
We need direct quotes, not interpretations. Interpretations are the result of not having direct scripture quotes to support your claims.

D

Dave L

They were pricked to the heart, which indicates that they were convicted by the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit convicts unbelievers (John 16:8-9).
But also believers. Had they not believed, they would have moved on.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We need direct quotes, not interpretations. Interpretations are the result of not having direct scripture quotes to support your claims.
If have been quoting to you this whole time.

As for interpretations...slow down...and read what I have already said.

D

Dave L

If have been quoting to you this whole time.

As for interpretations...slow down...and read what I have already said.
You've been hypothesizing. Direct scripture quotes are far more simple.

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It was probably one language all heard in their own native tongues through the gift of interpretation they also received.
I think that is probably close to it.... except that those listeners had no "gift" because they had not yet accepted Christ. I think God simply made it easy for speakers of 15 different languages to understand WHATEVER it was that the Disciples were uttering. For all we know, they might have been squeaking like a mouse.... or speaking regular Aramaic, in the Spirit. And, it really doesn't matter. The Spirit wanted the gospel in 15 different dialects to get into the heads of 3,000 people..... and that happened.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have been doing both. You have no excuse.

I have been giving you the quotes which you have not understood, and I have also spoken plainly of them. Would you rather I did not?

D

Dave L

I think that is probably close to it.... except that those Jews had no "gift" because they had not yet accepted Christ. I thing God simply made it easy for speakers of 15 different languages to understand WHATEVER it was that the Disciples were uttering. For all we know, they might have been squeaking like a mouse.... or speaking regular Aramaic, in the Spirit. And, it really doesn't matter. The Spirit wanted 15 different dialects to get into the heads of 3,000 people..... and that happened.
These were born again Jews who accepted Christ as YHWH. They were transitioning from the Old Covenant into the New.

D

Dave L

I have been doing both. You have no excuse.

I have been giving you the quotes which you have not understood, and I have also spoken plainly of them. Would you rather I did not?
Let's see quotes. Not ideas.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They believed as evidenced by their desire to join the New Covenant.

They believed as a result of the preaching, which took place after the incident of them hearing the believers speak in tongues

No, it is not hypothesis that I am presenting to you. It is understanding. And I nearly always reference the quotes from where my understanding comes; so what is your complaint?

D

Dave L

They believed as a result of the preaching, which took place after the incident of them hearing the believers speak in tongues

No, it is not hypothesis that I am presenting to you. It is understanding. And I nearly always reference the quotes from where my understanding comes; so what is your complaint?
They were born again just like Abraham or King David. They were coming into the New Covenant as believers.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think that is probably close to it.... except that those listeners had no "gift" because they had not yet accepted Christ. I think God simply made it easy for speakers of 15 different languages to understand WHATEVER it was that the Disciples were uttering. For all we know, they might have been squeaking like a mouse.... or speaking regular Aramaic, in the Spirit. And, it really doesn't matter. The Spirit wanted the gospel in 15 different dialects to get into the heads of 3,000 people..... and that happened.
That's not what the scripture says. It says that every man heard them in his own tongue. They were surprised because they knew they were Galileans and couldn't have been speaking in their tongues in the natural. They weren't speaking in Galilean and everyone heard them in their own language, they were speaking in tongues!

D

Dave L

That's not what the scripture says. It says that every man heard them in his own tongue. They were surprised because they knew they were Galileans and couldn't have been speaking in their tongues in the natural. They weren't speaking in Galilean and everyone heard them in their own language, they were speaking in tongues!
But Paul says those who speak in tongues speak not to men, but to God. No man hears them.