For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Okay, but what is the "discussion" part on that? ;)

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That is what I mean...what is your question , post, or discussion?

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Okay...Bless you! ✟

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The verse is from Matthew 6. Jesus tells us not to lay up treasures on eart were rust and moths and thieves will consume it. Rather lay up treasures in heaven.

He then explains how the light of the body is the eye. Personally, the best I can make of that in this conversation (that Jesus is having) is not to chase after lust of the eye. In other words, be content with food and rainment... Not chasing after material things that disrupt you spiritual life.

He then says you can't serve God and mammon (money).

It may be easy to shun money and wealth based on these few verses alone. I don't think that was Jesus's point. Otherwise we should all quit our jobs. Its about seeking first the kingdom of God, then all these things (specifically he said food and rainment) would be added unto you.

I recall Paul talking about laying up treasures in heaven also. In Philipians 4:17 he says he didn't desire a gift but desired that fruit may abound to their account by their giving.

1 Tim 6:17-19... Paul charges Timothy to address people with riches not to trust their riches, but that they be ready to comminicate and to distribute. In other words, be givers when the opportunity arises. In doing so they will they will lay up a good foundation against the time to come and set themselves up to lay hold of eternal life.

A couple of key points: 1. Paul didn't tell them to give up their riches; just to not trust them and to be givers and be ready to be givers. I failed to mention this earlier, but he also charged them not to be high minded. In other words, don't be a snob. Second, the reason for giving in at least one of these instances was to support the spreading of the gospel.

Another good point is that in 1 Tim 6 Paul said they should trust God and God gives us all things to enjoy.

There is alot more to it, but in summary, I don't believe Jesus was saying its wrong to be rich (certainly not prosperous) but we must put God first. We are also to be givers. If you are blessed financially, bless others by being a giver: both to spread to gospel and to relieve others of financial shortcomings. But first to spread the gospel.

Armadillo

Aug 11, 2017
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Matthew 6:21, For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

God is the potter, we are the clay and what is inside is the treasure. God wants to conform you to the image of His Son by having your imperfections worked out by Him. God is the great potter and you are the product of His work.

2 Corinthians 4:7, But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Matthew 6:21, For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

God is the potter, we are the clay and what is inside is the treasure. God wants to conform you to the image of His Son by having your imperfections worked out by Him. God is the great potter and you are the product of His work.

2 Corinthians 4:7, But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, so that the surpassing greatness of the power will be of God and not from ourselves
Great reasoning.