Free cell phones (USA) or good cheaper cell plans

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A T & T is asking the State utilities to quit being a provider for landlines in my area.

If A T & T's request is granted, I have to go to using a cell phone.

Can anyone give me some information about free government phones? I am on Social Security as a senior citizen....does that qualify me for the free phone?

Or are there cheaper phone plans that have good reception? How about Consumer Cellular?

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A T & T is asking the State utilities to quit being a provider for landlines in my area.

If A T & T's request is granted, I have to go to using a cell phone.

Can anyone give me some information about free government phones? I am on Social Security as a senior citizen....does that qualify me for the free phone?

Or are there cheaper phone plans that have good reception? How about Consumer Cellular?
Here in Washington it's different program. But in California it looks like this is the option:

California LifeLine

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Here in Washington it's different program. But in California it looks like this is the option:

California LifeLine
Thanks but I don't think I qualify for Lifeline. I know I don't qualify for Lifeline on our landline as both my income and my mom's income combined is just a little bit over.

But maybe it would be different for a cell phone?

I was wondering about those "Obama phones." That is what they call them. I can't remember the carriers just now. But they are free and the phone plan is free, too.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks but I don't think I qualify for Lifeline. I know I don't qualify for Lifeline on our landline as both my income and my mom's income combined is just a little bit over.

But maybe it would be different for a cell phone?

I was wondering about those "Obama phones." That is what they call them. I can't remember the carriers just now. But they are free and the phone plan is free, too.
Here you go:

Obama Phone

Reactions: Debp

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks Dev. Qualifying income seems a little more complicated. I always thought if one was just on Social Security that they could get the free government phone and plans. Maybe not....sounds like it depends on income per household.

I wonder if it's best to go with a cheaper cell service like Consumer Cellular?

Does anyone have a good, cheaper cell service you like?

Also, does one get good reception? I'm in the city with some taller buildings around our apartment building.

Scott Downey

Dec 19, 2021
New Brunswick
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Whether a phone works depends on which network and tower you are close to.
I have a Verizon phone and for couple years had poor to no reception in our neighborhood of hundreds of homes as the closest cell tower is couple miles away and a huge military army base Fort Eustis is very close by, maybe they interfered with the phone network somehow. Just spotty service and dropped calls, I complained to Verizon, and they gave me a free cellphone extender for my home network which uses Fios high speed internet. Basically it creates my own cell tower in my home. Calls were perfect after doing that.

Certainly other phone networks have similar extenders if service quality is bad. Setup is automatic, it plugs into an ethernet cable from your router.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Certainly other phone networks have similar extenders if service quality is bad. Setup is automatic, it plugs into an ethernet cable from your router.
I don't have a router. My neighbor is nice and let's me use his wifi for a small amount each month. Rents are very high here so I budget.