Friendly Bible Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi Carl
Will be looking at the scriptures, sorry I have been out most of today. I tend to reflect on scripture and mull over things , but just wanted you to know that I am actively involved, but just not showing it yet. !!

Excellent.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hey... Is our faith meant to be a museum of what used to happen?
I find it “ AMAZING “ how GOD spoke to Samual in an audible voice.

God has spoken to me only once in 32 years in an audible voice..that was my point.

Has he ever spoken to you in an audible voice?

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
What is the Word of God ?
To me the Word of God is just that - God's word. We can hear it or read it and the Word of God is given life by the Holy Spirit. Some say the Word of God is Jesus, some say it is the bible. The scripture tell us that the word of God came to people in different ways but for it to truly be the Word of God it must come via the Holy Spirit.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

God has spoken to me only once in 32 years in an audible voice..that was my point.
I don't think he has ever spoken to me in an audible voice but he has spoken to me in many other ways.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't think he has ever spoken to me in an audible voice but he has spoken to me in many other ways.
I am now questioning if he did speak to me in an audible voice...

God spoke to me through another person, I knew in my spirit it was God speaking to my spirit via His Spirit.

I think audible means just God’s voice, not sure?.....

My Pastor wife told me God spoke to her in an audible voice, He told her she was going to marry the man that she married.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
No...our faith grows, from the imperishable seed that we were Born Again of.....planted by the word of God, therefore will grow and flourish.

Meaning what?

We all need to be watching out for the truth?

Yes, why do you think that was?

Eli recognised the Calling Samuel had and demanded complete honesty and disclosure so he got the full picture of what God was saying.

In our case in the New Covenant, we are all called to hear Him as His sheep hear His voice. It is not a gift for some.

But the rules are the same - honesty, not holding back what we think He might be saying - the 'least' are heard.

This however only works in an atmosphere of Love and respect which I am hoping we can cultivate so all feel safe.

I think at sleep time we are more quiet and open to what can be the still small voice.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

Has he ever spoken to you in an audible voice?

Yes, when I was about 8 before I was born again.

However we are all different and He speaks in ways that suit our nature and circumstances.

Reactions: Azim

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
However we are all different and He speaks in ways that suit our nature and circumstances.
That’s what imo we need to understand, God speaks to us in the way he knows we will understand ...he speaks to us all differently....as long as what he speaks to us, lines up with His written word.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
One of the things that stands out with Samuel, and Eli , is that Eli could not hear what God was saying to Samuel and Samuel needed to learn how to hear. This means that it’s personal and conveys that you have to discern. Samuel thought he was just hearing Eli voice, which means he didn’t recognise or know the voice of God straight away.
The other thing is was it audible in the way that we think, considering Eli didn’t hear it. Sometimes I can just know it’s the Lord speaking because deep down something confirms it.
Just in reference to what you said @Ritajanice, our walks with the Lord are personal and often we can second guess what he says, how he says it because others do not always believe us or because it’s not their experience we question it, or doubt It because they do. Personal relationships mean each of us will hear in the way we need to because God knows us.
One pray I often pray is for the Lord to open my ears and open my eyes to hear and see things - we know that often people are blind and deaf - this could be why so many do not ‘ hear ‘ or ‘ see ‘ what others do. ………

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
OK - I have settled on the first theme I would like to share with you.

I want to answer the question - What is the Word of God ? (also known as the "Word of the Lord")

The reason for doing this is that the answer fundamentally guides us in how we approach Scripture.

Background reading will be as follows.

Genesis 1:1 to 2:4
Genesis 15:1
1 Samuel 3:1
Psalm 33
John 1
Hebrews 11:3
Peter 3:5

Further I would like to conclude that the 'Word of God' referenced in Acts was the utterance given to believers to share the truth of Jesus and make the Gospel known.

See Acts
6:7
11:1
12:24

Go for it... and I will do a Youtube video on the subject as well.
Well, Carl, I do not know the right time to give you and the group feedback on this homework. So, I will now provide an attempt to produce an exhaustive definition of 'what is the word of God,' as I reflected on the scripture you gave.

It is the divine, native language of God that transcends human understanding. It comes from his inner core, within his heart. They are his thoughts, expressions and his voice, communicated with purpose, in and by his power of spirit to create, impact or transform his creation in some way. And his word can and has been communicated and translated into human language, representing his spoken and written words as directives and commands for our benefit and his glory.

His spiritually-driven words penetrate and expose our thoughts and intentions to him, affecting the human heart's spiritual side as it splits the carnal and spiritual aspects of a person's existence.

His words are given directly by him, to, and for himself, his heavenly court, to his angels, directly to mankind through dreams, visions, through his agents or servants, whether they be angels, human beings, animals or inanimate objects.

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
One of the things that stands out with Samuel, and Eli , is that Eli could not hear what God was saying to Samuel and Samuel needed to learn how to hear. This means that it’s personal and conveys that you have to discern. Samuel thought he was just hearing Eli voice, which means he didn’t recognise or know the voice of God straight away.
The other thing is was it audible in the way that we think, considering Eli didn’t hear it. Sometimes I can just know it’s the Lord speaking because deep down something confirms it.
Just in reference to what you said @Ritajanice, our walks with the Lord are personal and often we can second guess what he says, how he says it because others do not always believe us or because it’s not their experience we question it, or doubt It because they do. Personal relationships mean each of us will hear in the way we need to because God knows us.
One pray I often pray is for the Lord to open my ears and open my eyes to hear and see things - we know that often people are blind and deaf - this could be why so many do not ‘ hear ‘ or ‘ see ‘ what others do. ………
See how God speaks to us...so, so true, imo...thank you Lord...not forgetting you Rita, lol...yes, I also pray that the Lord opens my eyes and ears to hear and see more of Him!...plus “ now” I’m still very aware of pride....which God hates...,..

Reactions: Pearl and APAK

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
One of the things that stands out with Samuel, and Eli , is that Eli could not hear what God was saying to Samuel and Samuel needed to learn how to hear.
Amen!!....we all are taught to hear the word of God, by the helper, the Holy Spirit.....I was Born Again 32 years ago, I would say I have only come to truly understand this...( what you are saying above)

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well, Carl, I do not know the right time to give you and the group feedback on this homework. So, I will now provide an attempt to produce an exhaustive definition of 'what is the word of God,' as I reflected on the scripture you gave.

It is the divine, native language of God that transcends human understanding. It comes from his inner core, within his heart. They are his thoughts, expressions and his voice, communicated with purpose, in and by his power of spirit to create, impact or transform his creation in some way. And his word can and has been communicated and translated into human language, representing his spoken and written words as directives and commands for our benefit and his glory.

His spiritually-driven words penetrate and expose our thoughts and intentions to him, affecting the human heart's spiritual side as it splits the carnal and spiritual aspects of a person's existence.

His words are given directly by him, to, and for himself, his heavenly court, to his angels, directly to mankind through dreams, visions, through his agents or servants, whether they be angels, human beings, animals or inanimate objects.
What a brilliant summery xx

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What a brilliant summery xx
Thank you Rita. Placing the classroom answer/response aside for a moment, and I truly believe the words I just wrote down, my latest personal experiences with God's word are also what I also believe.

Sometimes, when I get anxious about things in life, the usual things that most people deal with, I hear a voice that says to me, so what is it that is troubling you now, or of very similar words. It makes me slow down and think about it, and in so doing, I go to God and tell him thank you as I pinpointed my current issue, and suddenly I find it is not a real problem at all. I think he knows me too well and I always feel a sense of peace come over me...it's so comforting, indeed. I need it at times.

Reactions: Rita

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I am now questioning if he did speak to me in an audible voice...

God spoke to me through another person, I knew in my spirit it was God speaking to my spirit via His Spirit.

I think audible means just God’s voice, not sure?.....

My Pastor wife told me God spoke to her in an audible voice, He told her she was going to marry the man that she married.
He has sometimes spoken directly into my spirit so maybe that's what you meant.

Reactions: Ritajanice

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Eli recognised the Calling Samuel had and demanded complete honesty and disclosure so he got the full picture of what God was saying.

In our case in the New Covenant, we are all called to hear Him as His sheep hear His voice. It is not a gift for some.

But the rules are the same - honesty, not holding back what we think He might be saying - the 'least' are heard.

This however only works in an atmosphere of Love and respect which I am hoping we can cultivate so all feel safe.

I think at sleep time we are more quiet and open to what can be the still small voice.
The story of Eli being wakened by God was one of the stories I loved when I attended the children's outreach when I was about 10 or 11. In all my years of being sent to Sunday school I never heard such wonderful stories as I did during that time at the Mission church.

And it has been my experience to be wakened by God a few times over the years. Once to pray for Queen Elizabeth who was shot at the very next day but came to no harm. And another time when I was directed to look out of my window in the middle of the night to see the rain coming down heavily and oh so quietly and was given a prophesy to share with my church and also inspiration to write a poem.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I
That’s what imo we need to understand, God speaks to us in the way he knows we will understand ...he speaks to us all differently....as long as what he speaks to us, lines up with His written word.
So true @Ritajanice - God can use any means to speak to us and his repertoire is wide and varied.

Reactions: Carl Emerson

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
See how God speaks to us...so, so true, imo...thank you Lord...not forgetting you Rita, lol...yes, I also pray that the Lord opens my eyes and ears to hear and see more of Him!...plus “ now” I’m still very aware of pride....which God hates...,..

Confess,Renounce and Disown it... and tell it to leave in Jesus name...

If you lack wholeheartedness, then ask for His hatred of the sin.

You are the gardener - pull out the weeds, cast them off !!!