Friendly Bible Study

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Questions welcome as long as you agree with the Nicene Creed and don't debate the Trinity.
Paul tells us Satan presents himself as an Angel of Light. How is it then possible to differentiate which of the 'many' Spirits is operative in oneself and or others? If we say by the Bible, I'm sure Satan would have no problem running rings around us with biblical quotes.

Reactions: Brakelite

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Yes I agree, without the gift of the discernment of spirits operating, or a direct Word from the Holy Spirit, we are vulnerable to deception.

However if we have the humility to come before Him for help in this matter mindful of our total dependance on Him He is faithful to keep us on track.

Luke 11
11 What father among you, if his son asks for a fish, will give him a snake instead? 12 Or if he asks for an egg, will give him a scorpion? 13 So if you who are evil know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give the Holy Spirit to those who ask Him!”

Last edited:
Reactions: Azim

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A note and my thoughts about the 'Holy' fear of the Father given to us as his seal for us and our assurance of security in his Son.

The verse Jeremiah 32:40 states: “And I will make an everlasting covenant with them, that I will not turn away from doing them good; but I will put My fear in their hearts so that they will not depart from Me.”

The phrase “put My fear in their hearts” suggests that God will instill a sense of awe, reverence, and respect for Him in the hearts of His people, of all genuine believers. This fear is not a fear of punishment or judgment, but a healthy fear of disappointing God or disobeying His will. It is a fear that motivates them/us to stay close to Him and follow His commands. That's why we also listen for the voice of God or his Son.

It is a promise of a lifelong, unbreakable bond between God and His people, where He commits to being their God and they commit to being His people.

There are still many folks out there however, who think, believe and live out their lives as if lightning will come down and strike them dead if they do not consider the fear of God as stern severe punisher waving warnings about the loss of one's salvation if we show no signs of 'fear and trembling' in our walk.

And there are so-called teachers who preach this unscriptural and disturbing nonsense. I wonder how this unloving take on our Father can help win souls for his Son? It can only confuse and hinder a seeker and a new believer's faith.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Carl,
One of your references in the study is not right - the verse you quoted is not John 15:19 it’s 5:19 x

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Well spotted - corrected - thanks :)
lol, it took me awhile to work it out as I just wrote the references down as I prefer to look up the verses for myself and then reflect before reading what else has been said. The verse was on Jesus being the vine , good verses in an indirect way I thought it might be relevant ( you know if you aren’t attached, abiding ect ect. It can affect you hearing and seeing !! ) Then I re checked your post !

Reactions: amadeus and Azim

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My belief is that we ought to be able to understand what is meant to have the Spirit of God within us as a genuine believers. And how we use all of them (the 7 spirits that essentially is called that portion of God's Spirit essential for our benefit) in our spiritual daily walk. The more I use them and respond to them from God, the more I'm aware of them in my life. And this becomes a habit as I can depend on them.. And then my faith in them is always strong and present. It has developed over time.

The one (spirit) that is always acknowledged and present within my heart and mind is the fear of God. It is the foundational spirit that all others 'ride upon' that brings the others, and others beyond the other six to bear, as needed. Maybe that is why this one spirit binds us or seals us to God through his Son's spirit; if you will, the unbreakable sort of multi covalent bond in our lives.

My daily experience in the spirit of God is found within his Son's spirit that dwells within me as he has the same core seven spirit attributes as us, although his use in/with them can be slightly different in a few significant ways.

(Isa 11:2) The Spirit of Yahweh will rest on him: the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of Yahweh.

(Rev 1:4) John to the seven churches that are in Asia. Grace to you and peace, from Him who is, and who was, and who is to come, AND from the seven Spirits that are before His throne.

(Rev 3:1)
And to the angel of the church in Sardis write: These things says he that has the seven Spirits of God and the seven stars. I know your works. You have the reputation of being alive, but you are dead.

(Rev 4:5) And out of the throne proceeded lightnings, voices and thunders. And there were seven lamps of fire burning before the throne, which are the seven Spirits of God.

The Seven spirit are always a part of God's Holy presence that he gave to his Son and us. They bond us together into one Spirit composed of 7 functional/dedicated core attributes of God. And of course God have many more 'spirit's that he can generate, at will, as we read in scripture.

Last edited:

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Just repeating - this is a joint effort - if there is any issue raised that you don't understand or don't agree with then please say... It is very important that we hear your voice. :)

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
By now we should see that the pre-appointed works that we are to walk in are specific and unique to each one.

So there is an essential link between the hearing and the doing.

However the hearing comes in many ways and can be quite individual.

I have come to the conclusion that as we are redeemed and sanctified - His purpose is very often planted in us through desires.

Consider the double meaning in this verse.

Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart.

He will both bring desires to fulfilment and plant the desires within you.

Of course undergirding this is our daily petition 'Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven'

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
It should be noted that we are part of a body and His plan is often to mobilise many.

Given that we are to be in mutual submission - we can, and should, cross check our guidance.

Here are a few things that one should consider when weighing important life matters.

1. No conflict with the principles and teaching of Scripture.
2. Talk it through with close mature believers.
3. Be at peace in your heart
4. Offer the matter back to God with open hands.
5. See the way open as you move

However it is hearing and obeying His voice 'on the fly' that I want to focus on. Baking a cake for the new neighbour, speaking to a stranger with a word in season, praying for the sick, giving to a needy person.

There is a whole world of blessing we can move into in obedience to His promptings.

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
By now we should see that the pre-appointed works that we are to walk in are specific and unique to each one.

So there is an essential link between the hearing and the doing.

However the hearing comes in many ways and can be quite individual.

I have come to the conclusion that as we are redeemed and sanctified - His purpose is very often planted in us through desires.

Consider the double meaning in this verse.

Psalm 37:4
Delight yourself in the LORD; And He will give you the desires of your heart.

He will both bring desires to fulfilment and plant the desires within you.

Of course undergirding this is our daily petition 'Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven'
Aha, I just experiences Psalms 37:4 for real about a couple of hours ago..... it demonstrates both meanings where my desires were necessarily transformed, whilst in my delight of the LORD. My desires were not exactly aligned with the Father's will at the time, and he made it all work out in the end, in love and care. Amen. Let me briefly explain it.

My wife gets hot in the warmer days in Florida during the nights, and we are experiencing 90 plus deg. F temps in the late afternoons right now. I just replaced my AC twin units about a month ago with an indication that my cooling bill will decrease, by a lot. I am looking forward to this reward. And so I set the thermostat to 74 as was with the old system, with no worries.,,until...

a couple of weeks ago it all started....My wife told me she gets hot sleeping in the night, and this is the 2nd time in a period of a week.

I begin to grumble especially when with the older system, its temp was never set below 74. So dragging my feet I manually set it for her a few times to 73, especially in the late evenings.

And then she came with the same complaint again today. And again I begin to grumble...I drag my feet covertly to the thermostat and set it down, with a grudge emerging within me.

As I'm set to write my post here at the same time, a few hours again, I think about my walk and my enjoyment with God, and then suddenly a bright idea appears out of nowhere., as it would seem.

I said to myself, maybe this new thermostat, without having the manual, can be pre-programmed for the 24 -hr. period. So I ended preprogramming the thermostat to where she gets a cooler temp between 10 pm and 6 am...and then I increase it by a degree to get some compensation back... from 6 am to 9 am...

So, I'm now happy, and I thank the Lord for straightening me out, once again...:vgood:

Reactions: Rita and Azim

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Aha, I just experiences Psalms 37:4 for real about a couple of hours ago..... it demonstrates both meanings where my desires were necessarily transformed, whilst in my delight of the LORD. My desires were not exactly aligned with the Father's will at the time, and he made it all work out in the end, in love and care. Amen. Let me briefly explain it.

My wife gets hot in the warmer days in Florida during the nights, and we are experiencing 90 plus deg. F temps in the late afternoons right now. I just replaced my AC twin units about a month ago with an indication that my cooling bill will decrease, by a lot. I am looking forward to this reward. And so I set the thermostat to 74 as was with the old system, with no worries.,,until...

a couple of weeks ago it all started....My wife told me she gets hot sleeping in the night, and this is the 2nd time in a period of a week.

I begin to grumble especially when with the older system, its temp was never set below 74. So dragging my feet I manually set it for her a few times to 73, especially in the late evenings.

And then she came with the same complaint again today. And again I begin to grumble...I drag my feet covertly to the thermostat and set it down, with a grudge emerging within me.

As I'm set to write my post here at the same time, a few hours again, I think about my walk and my enjoyment with God, and then suddenly a bright idea appears out of nowhere., as it would seem.

I said to myself, maybe this new thermostat, without having the manual, can be pre-programmed for the 24 -hr. period. So I ended preprogramming the thermostat to where she gets a cooler temp between 10 pm and 6 am...and then I increase it by a degree to get some compensation back... from 6 am to 9 am...

So, I'm now happy, and I thank the Lord for straightening me out, once again...:vgood:
Nice one... :)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We looked at what is "God's Word" now we focus on hearing God's Word and what may hinder our hearing.
We won't hear him unless we are close to him and all sort of seemingly innocent things can have the effect of closing our ears to his word. All the background noise of our lives get in the way - worry, busyness, good deeds even - those not planned for us by God. So many 'noises' that crowd in and prevent our hearing The Holy Spirit.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
OK back to scriptures that speak of why we fail to hear...

Luke 8:14

And as for what fell among the thorns, they are those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by the cares and riches and pleasures of life, and their fruit does not mature.

This verse speaks of a conflict between what is in God's heart for the individual, and what is in the unredeemed heart of the hearer.

This can be a believer who allows worry and selfish desires to block out His Word in the heart.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
We won't hear him unless we are close to him and all sort of seemingly innocent things can have the effect of closing our ears to his word. All the background noise of our lives get in the way - worry, busyness, good deeds even - those not planned for us by God. So many 'noises' that crowd in and prevent our hearing The Holy Spirit.
We are on the same track...

I wrote my post as you wrote yours... :)

Reactions: Pearl

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Fear of total commitment and total surrender is a big one...

The Knowledge of His Love has to be stronger than the fear of the unknown.

A key to overcoming this is the revelation that He is a God of Order, and letting Him take control results in order rather than the chaos we fear.

Proverbs 3
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.…

Last edited:
Reactions: Pearl and Azim

GTW27

Dec 6, 2018
wilderness
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Blessings in Christ Jesus Carl. Just wanted to let you know that I have been here following along. It has been my experience that many Christians tend to think about God (The Lord) as being out side oneself and sometimes forgetting about The Holy Spirit within. It is easy to do and yet He is right there within us as well. Later to night I will shut things down that distract and sit down a read a chapter. But before I read I will pray and ask, "Holy Father what will you have me read?" Usually He will answer with the chapter that is needed for me to day. Which is Isaiah 53. It was given while I was writing this. I do not know what it contains but I am now excited to find what it contains. This is a simple example of hearing The Lord that is ever present with those that are truly born from above. This is also an example of me having faith in The Lords faithfulness. And He faithful to those that love Him.

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Fear of total commitment and total surrender is a big one...

The Knowledge of His Love has to be stronger than the fear of the unknown.

A key to overcoming this is the revelation that He is a God of Order, and letting Him take control results in order rather than the chaos we fear.

Proverbs 3
5 Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; 6 in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight.…
Yep this is my issue - I have no idea how to totally surrender in my heart- it’s been damaged by betrayal
Human experiences can get in the way and destroy a persons ability to have total trust, not sure I know how to completely trust again.
I am reading a book called ‘ Laying down your Isaac’s ‘ it deals with this issue.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Yep this is my issue - I have no idea how to totally surrender in my heart- it’s been damaged by betrayal
Human experiences can get in the way and destroy a persons ability to have total trust, not sure I know how to completely trust again.
I am reading a book called ‘ Laying down your Isaac’s ‘ it deals with this issue.
God knows this Rita....and what's more, he doesn't hold it against you. He continues unabatedly to woo you and if you don't resist he will draw you all the way home.

Reactions: Pearl

Rita

Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God knows this Rita....and what's more, he doesn't hold it against you. He continues unabatedly to woo you and if you don't resist he will draw you all the way home.
Being ‘ woo’d ‘ is part of the problem. You know to this day I can’t read the book of Solomon , makes me want to throw the Bible across the room. It just hits something inside.