Galatians 5:11 What is it saying about the cross?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Someone brought this verse up to me... Im honestly not sure of the context. What do you all think Paul is saying about the cross in this passage:

Galatians 5:11 (ESV)
11 But if I, brothers,[a] still preach[b] circumcision, why am I still being persecuted? In that case the offense of the cross has been removed.

I have a few theories, but I am curious what the rest of you think.

BA

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
In essence Paul was saying he wasn't preaching circumcision because he was being persecuted. Paul did preach the true circumcision was circumcision of the heart not circumcision of the body and that circumcision of the heart resulted in Salvation. However just as many people do today the Jews of his day we're twisting and equivocating about his words and assigning them to a physical context when they were actually showing that the circumcision of the heart towards God was what the New Covenant was all about.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
In essence Paul was saying he wasn't preaching circumcision because he was being persecuted. Paul did preach the true circumcision was circumcision of the heart not circumcision of the body and that circumcision of the heart resulted in Salvation. However just as many people do today the Jews of his day we're twisting and equivocating about his words and assigning them to a physical context when they were actually showing that the circumcision of the heart towards God was what the New Covenant was all about.
" In that case the offense of the cross has been removed."

What about this particular part here, Stan... This is the part im trying to figure out.

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Born_Again said:
" In that case the offense of the cross has been removed."

What about this particular part here, Stan... This is the part im trying to figure out.
Paul is talking about the issues that confronted the Galatians from Judaic converts who were trying to diminish and even took offense to what the cross represented to Judaism. Peter himself told the Jews that they were the ones that murdered Jesus. The offense of the cross in this regard would be just that, the Jews did not want to accept or believe that the sacrifice that Jesus made was able to replace the physical circumcision that was required under the law.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
StanJ said:
Paul is talking about the issues that confronted the Galatians from Judaic converts who were trying to diminish and even took offense to what the cross represented to Judaism. Peter himself told the Jews that they were the ones that murdered Jesus. The offense of the cross in this regard would be just that, the Jews did not want to accept or believe that the sacrifice that Jesus made was able to replace the physical circumcision that was required under the law.
Ohhhh okay. I wasn't sure. I can see that.,

Wormwood

Chaps
Apr 9, 2013
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In my estimation (and considering the broader context of Galatians), Paul is confronting the Judiazers who are trying to convince Christians that they cannot be saved apart from observing the law (i.e. circumcision). Paul is saying that if you strive to seek justification through law, you alienate yourself from Christ and grace. If righteousness could be attained by observing the law, Christ died for nothing. Thus, you must either seek righteousness through grace or through law. You cannot do both. Those who seek it through law are obliged to keep the whole law and are cut off from the cross of Christ. Those who seek it through grace must turn from seeking to be approved by the law and rather live by faith in God's grace.

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wormwood said:
In my estimation (and considering the broader context of Galatians), Paul is confronting the Judiazers who are trying to convince Christians that they cannot be saved apart from observing the law (i.e. circumcision). Paul is saying that if you strive to seek justification through law, you alienate yourself from Christ and grace. If righteousness could be attained by observing the law, Christ died for nothing. Thus, you must either seek righteousness through grace or through law. You cannot do both. Those who seek it through law are obliged to keep the whole law and are cut off from the cross of Christ. Those who seek it through grace must turn from seeking to be approved by the law and rather live by faith in God's grace.
That was my first interpretation....

StanJ

May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Wormwood said:
By George, I think you've got it! :)

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Wormwood said:
Amen. now if only the rest could see....

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Wormwood said:
Amen! well said WW!