Gates, Rocks and Keys

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did the successors of Moses have the keys and the power to bind and loose?
Moses's only successor was Jesus. Joshua may have looked like Moses's successor but he really wasn't. His name is actually the same as Jesus' in Hebrew but we spell it different so we don't confuse the two. But it's essentially the same exact name.

Aaron was the High Priest. He had successors.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moses's only successor was Jesus. Joshua may have looked like Moses's successor but he really wasn't. His name is actually the same as Jesus' in Hebrew but we spell it different so we don't confuse the two. But it's essentially the same exact name.
That is wrong read below

Joshua 1:1-9
After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ aide: 2 “Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them—to the Israelites. 3 I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. 4 Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates—all the Hittite country—to the Mediterranean Sea in the west. 5 No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. 6 Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them.

7 “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That is wrong read below

Joshua 1:1-9
After the death of Moses the servant of the Lord, the Lord said to Joshua son of Nun, Moses’ aide: 2 “Moses my servant is dead. Now then, you and all these people, get ready to cross the Jordan River into the land I am about to give to them—to the Israelites. 3 I will give you every place where you set your foot, as I promised Moses. 4 Your territory will extend from the desert to Lebanon, and from the great river, the Euphrates—all the Hittite country—to the Mediterranean Sea in the west. 5 No one will be able to stand against you all the days of your life. As I was with Moses, so I will be with you; I will never leave you nor forsake you. 6 Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them.

7 “Be strong and very courageous. Be careful to obey all the law my servant Moses gave you; do not turn from it to the right or to the left, that you may be successful wherever you go. 8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful. 9 Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go.”

Moses gave the Law and instituted the Covenant which gave people the ability to access God for the forgiveness of sins...just like Jesus.
Joshua didn't do anything like that.

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Moses gave the Law and instituted the Covenant which gave people the ability to access God for the forgiveness of sins...just like Jesus.
Joshua didn't do anything like that.
The readers can decide as I provided Scripture that God placed Joshua as Moses successor. God gave the Law, Moses was Gods messenger. God instituted the Covenant not moses.

hope this helps !

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
why do you call Me good?
No one else seems to be responding to you here. What do you think?

"...there is none good but one, that is, God:..."

So then if every good man is also God consider this:

"And, behold, there was a man named Joseph, a counsellor; and he was a good man, and a just:" Luke 23:50

Is Joseph of Arimathea designated as good also then God? Is that not a fair question?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No one else seems to be responding to you here. What do you think?

"...there is none good but one, that is, God:..."

So then if every good man is also God consider this:

"And, behold, there was a man named Joseph, a counsellor; and he was a good man, and a just:" Luke 23:50

Is Joseph of Arimathea designated as good also then God? Is that not a fair question?
Jesus knew what was in the "rich mans" heart and said only God is Good. Then he proceeded to tell Jesus ( which was a lie) that he obeyed all the commandments( self righteous). Jesus responded if you want eternal life then go and sell all your belongings and give them to the poor. Jesus knew he was a self righteous greedy rich young ruler. So much for the

hope this helps !!!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus knew what was in the "rich mans" heart and said only God is Good. Then he proceeded to tell Jesus ( which was a lie) that he obeyed all the commandments( self righteous). Jesus responded if you want eternal life then go and sell all your belongings and give them to the poor. Jesus knew he was a self righteous greedy rich young ruler. So much for the

hope this helps !!!
Jesus is not denying that he, himself is good! He is saying that only God is good and certainly Jesus was not lying. So we perhaps should conclude that anytime any person does anything that God would call good, that God must be involved in that person's good action. For a person filled with the Holy Spirit, we may say fine and dandy, but then for the unbeliever who does good things, what is our understanding?

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus is not denying that he, himself is good! He is saying that only God is good and certainly Jesus was not lying. So we perhaps should conclude that anytime any person does anything that God would call good, that God must be involved in that person's good action. For a person filled with the Holy Spirit, we may say fine and dandy, but then for the unbeliever who does good things, what is our understanding?
The rich young ruler was lying. Jesus knew his heart and that he was self righteous and didn't keep the commandments. So Jesus told him to sell his goods and give them to the poor and proved you cannot serve God and mammon.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The rich young ruler was lying. Jesus knew his heart and that he was self righteous and didn't keep the commandments. So Jesus told him to sell his goods and give them to the poor and proved you cannot serve God and mammon.
Almost...
He proved that the man violated the tenth commandment about coveting.

But more importantly...
Jesus was seen giving gifts that only God could give to ANYONE who recognized him as the Messiah or God himself...

EVERY time...
From the blind man who called out "Seed of David" to the woman who touched the fringe of his prayer shawl.

The rich man came so close to receiving a wonderful gift...but missed it. Which got the explanation of how a camel through the eye of a needle.
You can almost hear Jesus asking the question, "Are you saying that I am God?"

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The readers can decide as I provided Scripture that God placed Joshua as Moses successor. God gave the Law, Moses was Gods messenger. God instituted the Covenant not moses.

Deuteronomy 18:15-19

That's where Moses says that Jesus will be his successor.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So we perhaps should conclude that anytime any person does anything that God would call good, that God must be involved in that person's good action. For a person filled with the Holy Spirit, we may say fine and dandy, but then for the unbeliever who does good things, what is our understanding?

question what is ‘does a good thing’? Found often my ‘does a good thing’ is not really for another person (although said to be for them) but is instead to benefit self. Would hope Colossians 3:22-23 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God: [23] And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

(imo)it is the unthinkable, the last thing wanted to do; where ‘does a good thing’ might be genuine.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
ok I didn't know that was where you were going with that and I agree.
Joshua was a unique leader for them.
He wasn't exactly one of the Judges as someone else was put in that role.
He also wasn't exactly a prophet either.
He was a military commander and led them to many victories.
But Moses also was a military commander as taught to him when he was an adopted son in Egypt.

The best you could possibly say about Joshua was that he was somewhat continuing Moses's leadership after Moses had died (although legend says he just went to heaven...but you get the idea)
But Joshua had no agenda of his own other than to finish what Moses had started...and once it was done he was through.

Reactions: ChristisGod

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Joshua was a unique leader for them.
He wasn't exactly one of the Judges as someone else was put in that role.
He also wasn't exactly a prophet either.
He was a military commander and led them to many victories.
But Moses also was a military commander as taught to him when he was an adopted son in Egypt.

The best you could possibly say about Joshua was that he was somewhat continuing Moses's leadership after Moses had died (although legend says he just went to heaven...but you get the idea)
But Joshua had no agenda of his own other than to finish what Moses had started...and once it was done he was through.
Agree completely thanks for clarifying and continuing the conversation !

That is the thing about interacting online vs in person where things are said but misunderstood by the hearer.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
And who is not a liar among us?

"God forbid: yea, let God be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged." Rom 3:4

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
question what is ‘does a good thing’? Found often my ‘does a good thing’ is not really for another person (although said to be for them) but is instead to benefit self. Would hope Colossians 3:22-23 Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God: [23] And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men;

(imo)it is the unthinkable, the last thing wanted to do; where ‘does a good thing’ might be genuine.

The "Pharisees" looked good...seemed to act right and did all the right things. They didn't self appoint themselves as spiritual leaders of their respective communities. They had verified charity projects and good works. They also knew the Law and were very careful about following it. They were appointed to ensure others followed the Law as well.
But Jesus condemned them.
And Jesus explained how and why.

It's that heart condition that matters most.

When corporations give money away they ensure that they have a press release about it. There's no giving without one. They want everyone to see exactly what and to whom they're giving money to. (Gates Foundation)

Now then... Jesus said the exact opposite.
He told people not to tell who healed them. (They did it anyway) He told people not to tell others that he was the Messiah. (They did it anyway) Jesus regularly hid his true identity (up to a point) from everyone.

Completely opposite of what the Pharisees and Rabbi did...
As such, Jesus was the least popular of the several messiahs running around. (About four that I know of) but He was the real thing.
And Jesus proved it on many occasions.

I'm thinking that we aren't so much different today than all those 2,000 years ago. We elect religious leaders and put them on pedestals. Their names proliferate every Christian forum including this one... and I am scratching my head pondering this situation.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Indeed, what men call good and what is good to God are not the same... unless the man calling something good is speaking by that which is of God within himself. Men switch back and forth between the ways of their old man and the Way of the new man. Consider the example of Peter who walked with Jesus for 3 years:

"He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven." Matt 16:15-17

"From that time forth began Jesus to show unto his disciples, how that he must go unto Jerusalem, and suffer many things of the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised again the third day.
Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men." Matt 16:21-23

And James speak of this here:

"A double minded man is unstable in all his ways" James 1:8

The double mindedness has got to go.

"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!" Isaiah 5:20

Reactions: VictoryinJesus

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Ummm....
That's not what that is intended to mean.
They are not God nor did Jesus abdicate his responsibilities.
They were being given "forth telling" prophet status.... meaning that they could accurately tell the truth about someone.

Peter failed miserably after this too... remember how Paul had to tell him to quit being a jerk?

Do you understand what the term "Holy" means and all that it entails?
(It's related)

Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
Mt 16:18 Mt 28:19 Acts 1:17 acts 8:31 & 35 Lk 10:16 Jn 8:32 Jn 13:20 Jn 16:13
Jn 20:21-22 eph 2:20
(none of the so called reformers were apostles eph 2:20)

ChristisGod

Aug 15, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Agree completely thanks for clarifying and continuing the conversation !
Jesus Christ continues HIS ministry in His new covenant church thru Peter, the apostles, and their successors with the same mission, power, and authority!
and Paul was the last chosen Apostle by Christ. John was the last of the Apostles who died at the end of the 1st century. No more Apostles.

hope this helps !!!

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Ummmm
The second you quote Luke (Book of Acts) you are arguing against the line of succession authority. (As well as Paul)

And history has shown that there have been greatly appreciated Apostles that have nothing to do with the Catholic Church's position of succession.

Where some people like to claim Adoniram Judson was America's first missionary it actually was George Lyle. His appointment by God was unmistakable.
The same thing goes for Myles Coverdale...his work in the promotion of the first English translation of scriptures cannot be denied.
Even more recently Billy Graham was another man who was an apostle of God's...I personally witnessed the thousands filling Oakland stadium field and bleachers listening intently to the man.
No one who was so not self aggrandizing but hugely popular could be anything but appointed by God.

God has never been capable of being bound by the strict structures of the Catholic faith.

Even Peter was himself amazed when he had to start Baptisms of Gentiles. (Cornelius)

The Ethiopian Eunuch that Phillip baptized wasn't exactly a line of succession authority either...he went on down to Africa to bring the Gospel to Candice.

Jude was never an apostle...but seemed good enough to write a letter of the new Testament.

Why would God fill the Book of Kings and Chronicles with stories about failed successive Kings if He didn't want us to get the clue that the rule of succession was NOT going to be a good idea?

And Ephesians 2:20 is not a good proof text for your argument...it is exactly proving my point in that Christianity is a sect of Judaism.