Getting Crafty about Winter

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
NZ can get pretty cold in the winter but nothing like some parts of the USA. Where I live, It rarely snows, just rains in the winter, mixed with wind and some heavy frosts. When it starts getting colder, the electric blankets are switched on right across the country. To save costs, some folk do not use electric blankets or the traditional hot water bottle which looks like this.
1687405527658.png (Used to warm your bed. It has a rubber plug that you unscrew at one end. Fill with hot water. Placed under the sheets) They can be dangerous if your water is too hot and bursts or it leaks.

Another option, which has not caught on yet, is wheat bags, which is an alternative to a hot water bottle...

I have decided to make a wheat bag today (*hand-sewn*) filled with rice. It is easy to make and most folk have all the items to make them, at home. I will give a pic by pic demonstration but this was my first attempt so no pic available atm...

Here is a pic of a wheat bag. (not mine) It can either contain wheat or rice. (I have used rice on my first attempt)
1687407734689.png
1. You can make these bags out of thick cotton, wool or blankets. Some people have made them from curtain material (without the rubber backing)

2. Next, cut 2 pieces of material and sew together (right sides together) to form a square or rectangle (my bag is 5 by 10 inches.) Add an inch on all sides for sewing together.

3. Turn right-side out

3. Leave an opening at least a quarter of the way at the narrowest end of the square or triangle so that you can fill it with rice or wheat.

4. Fill with dry rice. I added lavender oil to the rice to give it a lovely lavender fragrance. You can add any oil or try dry flower petals, vanilla ect:

5. Sew the remaining, open end up.

Test Time:

Place it in a microwave along with half a glass of water for about 1.30minutes to 2. minutes (depending on how long or big you make your bag.) Mine took about 2 mins to heat.

Place under the sheets. The heated bag should last for about an hour.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is a pic of my wheat/rice/heating bag. (First attempt) It is made from a 100% NZ wool blanket that once belonged to my little sister when she was very young. The blanket is old now and falling apart but these specific blankets are sort after in NZ because they are well made and are repurposed to make jackets, vests, children's coats, boots and a myriad of other things. It would have been so much quicker and easier if I had a sewing machine but "someone" (not saying who it was) borrowed the bobbin section of my machine because theirs didn't work, then they sold it in a garage sale. Forgetting to return that part. So I had to throw the rest of my machine away. hmmx1:

1687411163490.png

:Broadly: It will improve as I go along.....Chkl::coff

Last edited:

ButterflyJones

Feb 19, 2023
USA
youtube.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
NZ can get pretty cold in the winter but nothing like some parts of the USA. Where I live, It rarely snows, just rains in the winter, mixed with wind and some heavy frosts. When it starts getting colder, the electric blankets are switched on right across the country. To save costs, some folk do not use electric blankets or the traditional hot water bottle which looks like this.
View attachment 33819 (Used to warm your bed. It has a rubber plug that you unscrew at one end. Fill with hot water. Placed under the sheets) They can be dangerous if your water is too hot and bursts or it leaks.

Another option, which has not caught on yet, is wheat bags, which is an alternative to a hot water bottle...

I have decided to make a wheat bag today (*hand-sewn*) filled with rice. It is easy to make and most folk have all the items to make them, at home. I will give a pic by pic demonstration but this was my first attempt so no pic available atm...

Here is a pic of a wheat bag. It can either contain wheat or rice. (I have used rice on my first attempt)
View attachment 33820
1. You can make these bags out of thick cotton or wool. Some people have made them from curtain material (without the rubber backing)

2. Next, cut 2 pieces of material and sew together (right sides together) to form a square or rectangle (my bag is 5 by 10 inches.) Add an inch on all sides for sewing together.

3. Turn right-side out

3. Leave an opening at least a quarter of the way at the narrowest end of the square or triangle so that you can fill it with rice or wheat.

4. Fill with dry rice. I added lavender oil to the rice to give it a lovely lavender fragrance.

Test

Place it in a microwave at 1.30minutes. (more depending on how long or big you make it.

Place under the sheets. The heated bag should last for an hour.

Here is a pic of my wheat/rice/heating bag. (First attempt) It is made from a 100% NZ wool blanket that once belonged to my little sister when she was very young. It is old now and falling apart but these specific blankets are sort after in NZ because they are well made and are repurposed to make jackets, vests, children's coats, boots and a myriad of other things. It would have been so much quicker and easier if I had a sewing machine but "someone" (not saying who it was) borrowed the bobbin section of my machine because theirs didn't work, then they sold it in a garage sale. Forgetting to return that part. So I had to throw my machine away.

View attachment 33821

Practice makes perfect.:)

Quilts. Gloomy cold winters are a great time to make quilts.
Have any clothes that no longer fit? Cut them up and sew them into a quilt.

It's a joy to realize you're keeping snug and warm in your comfy bed beneath a thick warm quilt you made yourself.

And talk about the ultimate Christmas, birthday, or baby shower gift. (Baby quilt)

A friend makes a quilt for her daughter after the little one has reached her next milestone she. She takes her former years baby clothes and sews them into her new life season quilt.

Heirlooms.

• Haha
Reactions: Angelina

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I had a lovely sleep with my newly made wheat bag although it needed 2 more minutes in the microwave. It just kept the chill off and the lavender oil was a so nice, which aided in a peaceful night sleep...
:nitenite:

Reactions: Debp and Cassandra

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
View attachment 33819 (Used to warm your bed. It has a rubber plug that you unscrew at one end. Fill with hot water. Placed under the sheets) They can be dangerous if your water is too hot and bursts or it leaks.

Here is a pic of a wheat bag. (not mine) It can either contain wheat or rice. (I have used rice on my first attempt)
View attachment 33820
1. You can make these bags out of thick cotton, wool or blankets. Some people have made them from curtain material (without the rubber backing)

3. Turn right-side out

4. Fill with dry rice. I added lavender oil to the rice to give it a lovely lavender fragrance. You can add any oil or try dry flower petals, vanilla ect:

Test Time:

Place it in a microwave along with half a glass of water for about 1.30minutes to 2. minutes (depending on how long or big you make your bag.) Mine took about 2 mins to heat.

Place under the sheets. The heated bag should last for about an hour.

Here is a pic of my wheat/rice/heating bag. (First attempt) It is made from a 100% NZ wool blanket that once belonged to my little sister when she was very young. The blanket is old now and falling apart but these specific blankets are sort after in NZ because they are well made and are repurposed to make jackets, vests, children's coats, boots and a myriad of other things. It would have been so much quicker and easier if I had a sewing machine but "someone" (not saying who it was) borrowed the bobbin section of my machine because theirs didn't work, then they sold it in a garage sale. Forgetting to return that part. So I had to throw the rest of my machine away. hmmx1:

View attachment 33821

Sorry about your bobbin! Looks great, good idea for those who love a warm bed. For myself? Hate the heat and always looking for the cold parts of the sheet :D

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few wheat bags, not handmade though. I find they lose the heat much quicker than the hot water bottles. Now i have a heated blanket ,doesn’t cost much to have on- so when it’s really cold I put it on and sit up in my bedroom. My son has one and it meant we didn’t put the central heating on as much, so it was much cheaper.

• Love
Reactions: Angelina and Nancy

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I have a few wheat bags, not handmade though. I find they lose the heat much quicker than the hot water bottles. Now i have a heated blanket ,doesn’t cost much to have on- so when it’s really cold I put it on and sit up in my bedroom. My son has one and it meant we didn’t put the central heating on as much, so it was much cheaper.
My wheat bag is made of rice and made from 100%NZ wool blanket. It was still warm this morning after zapping it in the microwave for about 4 minutes. This was around 10.30 pm till 5.30am. That is 7 hours of warmness. Perhaps it was because of what it was made of...IDK but I'm sure glad that I made it. Will be making more as the winter continues to be cold, rainy and sometimes miserable. :rain?::cold:

Reactions: Rita

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
1687475708742.png Lol...Always throwing off the covers...even in sub zero temps...AND always have my bedroom window opened wide

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Lol! @Nancy, my windows are wide open too, even during stormy rainy night because I like that kind wild weather and we get lot's of it here but I can get cold sometimes. Not an ordinary cold. Possibly due to some health issues. :stageright::coff

• Love
Reactions: Nancy

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol! @Nancy, my windows are wide open too, even during stormy rainy night because I like that kind wild weather and we get lot's of it here but I can get cold sometimes. Not an ordinary cold. Possibly due to some health issues. :stageright::coff
Well, just continue to warm the cockles of your heart TO your heart's content!! And, your health is ever in my prayers Angelina, :dusted: :pray: :spring::cold:

Oh yeah, I too love stormy weather, blowing of the wind through creaks in the house, even can feel the house move! Hot choco and a blizzard outside of my windows is so cozy :)

Reactions: Angelina

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
I think I will make a wheat bag for my sister (who owned the blanket, I made my wheat bag from) and a fridge magnet heart made of the same material, I think she would love that. :Broadly:

• Love
Reactions: Nancy

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Quilts. Gloomy cold winters are a great time to make quilts.
Have any clothes that no longer fit? Cut them up and sew them into a quilt.
Does anyone here make quilts?

My aunt made me a quilt years ago. I think it's called a Granny Plate pattern.