Gifts of the Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I know it is Jesus teaching me by the fruits that have been produced. Also Jesus said he would call his own out by name, and they would follow no other. Jesus has called me by name, and he has told me he is God. Also Jesus has had me walk in the gifts of the Holy Spirit. Jesus healed my blind daughter; I don’t believe Satan can do that.

Satan can do all of that.
Jesus has given me the grace to live
a sinless life for over the last thirty some years. Satan would not want anyone to live sinless. Jesus has given me the grace to live the whole Word of God.

You make it very difficult to believe you.
I am telling you this, because you need some evidence that it is Jesus I follow, but I knew it was Jesus the night I said yes to his calling into his ministry. Also when Jesus asked me to give my life to him, and the Holy Spirit let me know I would lose everything I owned if I did, and I did lose everything. From that day on I lived trusting in Jesus every day. That all happened thirty some years ago, and I still am trusting in Jesus for everything.
I don't need evidence, but Jesus warned us that Satan appears as a good guy. Did you resist the one who has been appearing to you? You have given no proof that it was Jesus. It could very well be Satan.

2 Corinthians 11:14-15 (NKJV)
[sup]14 [/sup]And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. [sup]15 [/sup]Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, ...

James 4:7 (NKJV)
[sup]7 [/sup]Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

Satan can do all of that.

You make it very difficult to believe you.

I don't need evidence, but Jesus warned us that Satan appears as a good guy. Did you resist the one who has been appearing to you? You have given no proof that it was Jesus. It could very well be Satan.

2 Corinthians 11:14-15 (NKJV)
[sup]14 [/sup]And no wonder! For Satan himself transforms himself into an angel of light. [sup]15 [/sup]Therefore it is no great thing if his ministers also transform themselves into ministers of righteousness, ...

James 4:7 (NKJV)
[sup]7 [/sup]Resist the devil and he will flee from you.

You will believe only what you want to believe. My job is not to convince any one. I am just to give a word. I say Jesus is my Lord and God. I know from Jesus that the bible is the written Word of God, and I personally live that Word, as Jesus has taught me.

The Word of God says that if one sins they are of Satan. I don’t sin.

(1 John 3:8) “He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work”

I wonder how many of your teachers of God still sinned? If they did then you believe what Satan was teaching you.

That is if you believed your teachers.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
The Word of God says that if one sins they are of Satan. I don’t sin.

Everyone who commits a sin today is of Satan?
Then why did Jesus teach us to pray this prayer daily?

Matthew 6:12 (NKJV)
[sup]12 [/sup]And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors.

You might want to notice that John included himself in this statement.

1 John 1:7-10 (NKJV)
[sup]7 [/sup]But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. [sup]8 [/sup]If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. [sup]9 [/sup]If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. [sup]10 [/sup]If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

Was John of Satan? I think Satan has deceived you into self righteousness.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

Everyone who commits a sin today is of Satan?
Then why did Jesus teach us to pray this prayer daily?

Matthew 6:12 (NKJV)
[sup]12 [/sup]And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors.

You might want to notice that John included himself in this statement.

1 John 1:7-10 (NKJV)
[sup]7 [/sup]But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. [sup]8 [/sup]If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. [sup]9 [/sup]If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. [sup]10 [/sup]If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

Was John of Satan? I think Satan has deceived you into self righteousness.

(1 John 1: 8-10)[sup] “[/sup]If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness. If we claim we have not sinned, we make him out to be a liar and his word has no place in our lives.”

You need to see John was saying if one says he or she says they have never sinned they are liars.

If one is forgiven of all unrighteousness are they not then sinless? Could they then be liars if they say they are sinless?

John later says:

(1 John 3:3-9) “Surely everyone who entertains this hope must purify himself, must try to be as pure as Christ. Any one who sins at all breaks the law, because to sin is to break the law. Now you know that He appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in Him there is no sin: anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen Him or known Him. My children do not let anyone lead you astray’ to live a holy life is to be holy just as He is holy’ to lead a sinful life is to belong the Devil, since the Devil was a sinner from the beginning. It was to undo all that the Devil has done that the Son of God appeared. No one who has been begotten by God sins: because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”

(1 John 3:8) “He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work”

John told us those who did not know God sinned and asked forgiveness and were forgiven, but once a person comes to know God he or she will not sin.

Scripture goes on to say that if a person who does know God uses their free will to sin there is no repentance for that person.

(Hebrews 10:26-31) “If, after we have been given knowledge of the truth, we should deliberately commit any sins, then there is no longer any sacrifice for them. There is left only the dreadful prospect of judgment and of the fiery wrath that is to devour your enemies. Anyone who disregards the Law of Moses is ruthlessly put to death on the word of two witnesses or three; and you may be sure that anyone who tramples on the Son of God, and who treats the blood of the covenant which sanctified him as if it were not holy, and who insults the Spirit of grace, will be condemned to a far severer punishment. We are all aware who it was that said: Vengeance is mine; I will vindicate his people. It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”

(Hebrews 6: 4) “As for those people who were once brought into the light, and tasted the gift from heaven, and received a share of the Holy Spirit, and appreciated the good message of God and the powers of the world to come and yet in spite of this have fallen away it is impossible for that to be renewed a second time. They cannot be repentant if they have willfully crucified the Son of God and openly mocked Him.”

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
If what you are saying is true then you might be the only person on Earth who is saved. I think you are deceiving yourself.

[sup]9 [/sup]If we confess our sins,

John included himself. Was he of Satan?

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
If what you are saying is true then you might be the only person on Earth who is saved. I think you are deceiving yourself.

[sup]9 [/sup]If we confess our sins,

John included himself. Was he of Satan?

You did not read my last post, or if you did you are blind to call me deceived.

Jesus personally sat next to me and taught me that Christians are dead to sin. By the way he had me open the Bible to where it teaches us that Christians are dead to sin.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
John was saved when he said:

1 John 1:7-8 (NKJV)
[sup]7 [/sup]But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. [sup]8 [/sup]If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

If John was sinless then he was very confused. Or you are.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
John was saved when he said:

1 John 1:7-8 (NKJV)
[sup]7 [/sup]But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin. [sup]8 [/sup]If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us.

If John was sinless then he was very confused. Or you are.

Go read my post #44. You have the answer there, but maybe you can’t stand the truth. The truth hurts does it not?

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Go read my post #44. You have the answer there, but maybe you can’t stand the truth. The truth hurts does it not?
If you wanna believe you are sinless then enjoy yourself. But you are deceived. You'd better find out who's been teaching you.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

If you wanna believe you are sinless then enjoy yourself. But you are deceived. You'd better find out who's been teaching you.

To believe as you want to believe one needs to ignore much of Scripture. I show you the Written Word of God that tells us we a free from sin, but you chooses to ignore the Written Word of God, and yet you say that you believe in the bible?

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Are you really saying that when John said "we" and "us" that he wasn't including himself??? Your "truth" doesn't seem to resemble the truth.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

Are you really saying that when John said "we" and "us" that he wasn't including himself??? Your "truth" doesn't seem to resemble the truth.

I am saying a person who deliberately commits a sin has never seen or known God. I am saying a person who sins are of Satan.

(1 John 3: 3 - 9) “Surely everyone who entertains this hope must purify himself, must try to be as pure as Christ. Any one who sins at all breaks the law, because to sin is to break the law. Now you know that He appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in Him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen Him or known Him. My children do not let anyone lead you astray; to live a holy life is to be holy just as He is holy; to lead a sinful life is to belong to the Devil, since the Devil was a sinner from the beginning. It was to undo all that the Devil has done that the Son of God appeared. No one who has been begotten by God sins: because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”

By the way that is just what John says also.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
I am saying a person who deliberately commits a sin has never seen or known God. I am saying a person who sins are of Satan.

(1 John 3: 3 - 9) “Surely everyone who entertains this hope must purify himself, must try to be as pure as Christ. Any one who sins at all breaks the law, because to sin is to break the law. Now you know that He appeared in order to abolish sin, and that in Him there is no sin; anyone who lives in God does not sin, and anyone who sins has never seen Him or known Him. My children do not let anyone lead you astray; to live a holy life is to be holy just as He is holy; to lead a sinful life is to belong to the Devil, since the Devil was a sinner from the beginning. It was to undo all that the Devil has done that the Son of God appeared. No one who has been begotten by God sins: because God’s seed remains inside him, he cannot sin when he has been begotten by God.”

By the way that is just what John says also.

You would have us to believe that you haven't said or done anything bad (including on the internet), or had evil thoughts for 30 years. Your story just doesn't fly. I think you are condemning yourself as you are condemning nearly everyone else.
You're pretty much saying that everyone on this forum is of Satan. BUT YOU.

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
We are new creations in Christ, and as it says in Romans, it is no longer I who sin but sin that liveth in me. I, however, was the worst of all criminals. I rejected God's spirit and redemptive work even after I had first received it and had been set free, but God still has a purpose for me and kept me alive. There was no greater sacrifice for me to accept, except that I hadn't yet come to a full understanding of that sacrifice. I still haven't, but I had always elevated my free will above the saving grace of God. Even my desires He can change if I let him, and I don't have to be identified by that nature anymore. I no longer sin either, and I am not identified as one who sins. I am attached to a hunk of flesh that still craves sinful things, and I fight that part of me every day, and I have given into it on occasion, but that isn't who I am. I am now identified with the Spirit of God living in me. It would be like lashing Christ across the face (which I feel I was once guilty of); to continue to add sin to my account, and to accept anything but love and mercy.

Job one

Jan 9, 2008
Western USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As I have read through the various posts on this topic it is interesting to observe the many and varied views relating thereto. Opinions vary. Others are critical of others views, perhaps somewhat prematurely. Sometimes I feel we should be more patient and allow others to fully develop a more complete explanation of their perspective. For example:

One party on the surface, indicated that to read the scriptures was of little value. I, for one, might totally agree. If we just read through the scriptures like any other book or novel, we indeed benefit very little therefrom.

Christ never told us to read the Bible. Christ never told us or instructed us to read the scriptures which were then existent.

We should observe very carefully what the Master did instruct us to to. Did He not clearly teach us to “SEARCH THE SCRIPTURES”? “Searching” implies much more than just casual reading. I fully believe that one can derive far more benefit from searching and pondering and meditating upon just a verse or few verses for a day or days as compared to just casual reading entire books of the bible.

Sometimes I will replay a chapter or certain verses many, many times while going to work or traveling, to review and gain a deeper understanding of what is really said. It is only when we diligently search and seek as Christ admonished that we begin to get the bigger picture and intent. And, yes, it is also vital for one to seek the understanding by the spirit to correctly understand the deep things of God.

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California

You don't sin??? You can't be serious. Almost sounds like a lie.

It should almost sound like a lie. Any sin committed while in this body is a contradiction of my character.

[sup]19[/sup] I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. [sup]20[/sup] But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. [sup]21[/sup] I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. [sup]22[/sup] I love God’s law with all my heart. [sup]23[/sup] But there is another power[sup][e][/sup] within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. [sup]24[/sup] Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? [sup]25[/sup] Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

"I" don't want to sin but "I" still do. "I" being the nature that lives within me, and "I" being the new spirit placed in me by God that I am identified with. Because I am identified with Christ, saying that new part of my nature is sinning is like saying that Christ Himself is sinning within me.

Does that make sense?

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

You would have us to believe that you haven't said or done anything bad (including on the internet), or had evil thoughts for 30 years. Your story just doesn't fly. I think you are condemning yourself as you are condemning nearly everyone else.
You're pretty much saying that everyone on this forum is of Satan. BUT YOU.

No what I am saying is that those who deliberately commit sin are at best baby Christians.

Scripture tell us that also. Scripture tells us that one who sins is of Satan.

(1 Corinthians 3:1-3) “Brothers, I myself was unable to speak to you as people of the Spirit; I treated you as sensual men, still infants in Christ. What I fed you with was milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it; and indeed, you are still not ready for it since you are still unspiritual. Isn’t that obvious from all the jealousy and wrangling that there is among you, from the way that you go on behaving like ordinary people?”

It should almost sound like a lie. Any sin committed while in this body is a contradiction of my character.

[sup]19[/sup] I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. [sup]20[/sup] But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. [sup]21[/sup] I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. [sup]22[/sup] I love God’s law with all my heart. [sup]23[/sup] But there is another power[sup][e][/sup] within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. [sup]24[/sup] Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? [sup]25[/sup] Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

"I" don't want to sin but "I" still do. "I" being the nature that lives within me, and "I" being the new spirit placed in me by God that I am identified with. Because I am identified with Christ, saying that new part of my nature is sinning is like saying that Christ Himself is sinning within me.

Does that make sense?

I wonder if you really don’t understand what Paul was saying in Romans seven, or are you being misleading?

Paul in Romans seven was explaining that without God there is no was to defeat Satan/sin.

Paul in Romans eight then goes on to share defeating Satan/sin is possible.

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
I can see that we might be going around in circles with this one. I surely do not believe that God asks us to "Check our brains at the door" when it comes to reading or studying His Word. ("Come and let us reason together, though your sins are as scarlet...: He says - Isaiah(1:18)) I do however believe that, not only is the Bible a compilation of 66 books coming from different backgrounds, times of history and spoken to different audiences, as you say, it is also a complete work of revelation of the Son Jesus, that applies to ME personally and in its entirety.

I guess it depends on your definition of entirety. Does that mean every word or does it mean that all of the concepts in Scripture apply to you?

Now some portions of scripture are not as plain as others and become often subject of interpretation which is why, as you state we end up with the overwhelming amount of denominations that exist today. This is definitely where the Spirit comes to help in understanding what He Himself put there through the anointed writings of His servants. (Moses, David, prophets, Apostles, etc,) Only He knows truly the mind of God and His message to us and yet men have cleverly twisted His Word to their own way for one reason or another.
I agree that when Paul says to the Corinthians that they are proud it does not necessarily mean that I am proud, nevertheless the Holy Spirit can use that very verse to pinpoint some area of pride in me. I guess the difference is that when I read His Word, initially I do not try to understand what Paul was saying to the Corinthians, I try to hear what God is saying to me through that passage.

In doing that aren't you doing just what you complained I was doing? You said my method allowed me to pick and choose the application of Scripture. Yet in the above quote we see that your method allows you to pick and choose. In a previous post speaking of 1 Corinthians you said,

They are not to be ignored as Paul says he would not have us ignorant about them.

Here you have applied Paul's words directly to "us", yet in the post above you said you would not necessarily apply his words about being puffed to yourself. So, you've chosen which one to apply.

My method on the other hand has me reading Paul's words to the Corinthians, and not to me. So, when he says desire the gifts, I see those words to the Corinthians, when he says, you are puffed up, I see those words to the Corinthians. What I do with this is to look at it and apply it as necessary. In other words, if I am doing the same things the Corinthians are doing then I am puffed up, likewise, he says desire the gifts. I can apply that to myself, however, I also see that he said the gifts would end. So, now it becomes incumbent upon me to determine when those gifts would cease so I can ascertain whether those words (desire gifts) pertain to me.

So you see my method applies the Scriptures uniformly based on the context of Scripture. It is not loose method that can be applied randomly

This is not a challenge but I assure you that their are a few beliefs of mine that would probably have you standing on your head.

I didn't mean for it to come across as a challenge. The point I was attempting to make was that many times Christians are willing to use a method of interpretation until it causes them to face a pet doctrines as unsupported.

Verses 4 - 5- 6 of Corinthians 12 are 3 verses that God personally showed me (not trying to boast, just fact) that placed all the Gifts in the context of the Trinity.
Verse. 4 Speaks of the Gifts (Manifestations - see verse 7)) of the Spirit.
Verse 5 Speaks of the Administrations of the Lord (the Son) referenced in Ephesians 4
Verse 6 Speaks of the Operations of God (The Father), referenced in Romans 12, who clearly works them "all in all" as He is no respector of persons. God,
however, is respector of Character.
So you can see how the the Gifts of Ephesians 4, which really are Gifts to the Church or the Body and more clearly identified in verse 5 as Administrations or Ministries, depending on the translation.

Ephesians 4 doesn't say gifts, it says He gave some apostles, some prophets, some evangelists etc. he doesn't say gift.

Ephesians 4:11 ( KJV )
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

These things mentioned are in the Masculine gender in the Greek language, indication they are people. The way I understand it is that Christ gave people to fill these roles, but not that they are offices.

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
No what I am saying is that those who deliberately commit sin are at best baby Christians.

Scripture tell us that also. Scripture tells us that one who sins is of Satan.

(1 Corinthians 3:1-3) “Brothers, I myself was unable to speak to you as people of the Spirit; I treated you as sensual men, still infants in Christ. What I fed you with was milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it; and indeed, you are still not ready for it since you are still unspiritual. Isn’t that obvious from all the jealousy and wrangling that there is among you, from the way that you go on behaving like ordinary people?”

I wonder if you really don’t understand what Paul was saying in Romans seven, or are you being misleading?

Paul in Romans seven was explaining that without God there is no was to defeat Satan/sin.

Paul in Romans eight then goes on to share defeating Satan/sin is possible.

My communication skills must be failing. Nah, I wouldn't intentionally mislead anyone. That's kinda the point of me discussing what I believe. Because of my calling I want to refine my understanding because of the standard held over teachers. I don't want to lead anyone astray.

Let's start building one another up. I'm hearing way too much antagonism, and I am sorry.

I am also sorry on behalf of my misunderstanding to anyone who has taken my words as absolute truth where I have been wrong.

I am encouraged and impressed by your denial of the flesh, and the honesty of your testimony Thankful1. Butch5, you rock; thanks for your ability to hold to scripture, and never getting raged and angry at others with differing views, and being patient with my growing understanding. I encourage us to continue building people up in the truth God has revealed to us. Let's work together with the rest of this community to test what we hear against scripture, so we won't make the mistakes that have divided the body of Christ for so long.