Gifts of the Spirit

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
It should almost sound like a lie. Any sin committed while in this body is a contradiction of my character.

[sup]19[/sup] I want to do what is good, but I don’t. I don’t want to do what is wrong, but I do it anyway. [sup]20[/sup] But if I do what I don’t want to do, I am not really the one doing wrong; it is sin living in me that does it. [sup]21[/sup] I have discovered this principle of life—that when I want to do what is right, I inevitably do what is wrong. [sup]22[/sup] I love God’s law with all my heart. [sup]23[/sup] But there is another power[sup][e][/sup] within me that is at war with my mind. This power makes me a slave to the sin that is still within me. [sup]24[/sup] Oh, what a miserable person I am! Who will free me from this life that is dominated by sin and death? [sup]25[/sup] Thank God! The answer is in Jesus Christ our Lord. So you see how it is: In my mind I really want to obey God’s law, but because of my sinful nature I am a slave to sin.

"I" don't want to sin but "I" still do. "I" being the nature that lives within me, and "I" being the new spirit placed in me by God that I am identified with. Because I am identified with Christ, saying that new part of my nature is sinning is like saying that Christ Himself is sinning within me.

Does that make sense?
Yes I see. When YOU sin you pretend you didn't. It's better to repent.

Proverbs 28:13 (NKJV)
[sup]13 [/sup]He who covers his sins will not prosper, But whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy.

And, yes, it is also vital for one to seek the understanding by the spirit to correctly understand the deep things of God.
You can't without studying God's Word.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

Yes I see. When YOU sin you pretend you didn't. It's better to repent.

Proverbs 28:13 (NKJV)
[sup]13 [/sup]He who covers his sins will not prosper, But whoever confesses and forsakes them will have mercy.

You can't without studying God's Word.

(Hebrews 10:26-31) “If, after we have been given knowledge of the truth, we should deliberately commit any sins, then there is no longer any sacrifice for them. There will be left only the dreadful prospect of judgment and of the raging fire that is to burn rebels. Anyone who disregards the Law of Moses is ruthlessly put to death on the word of two witnesses or three; and you may be sure that anyone who tramples on the Son of God, and who insults the Spirit of grace, will be condemned to a far severer punishment. We are all aware who it was that said: Vengeance is mine; I will repay. And again: The Lord will judge his people. It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
"No what I am saying is that those who deliberately commit sin are at best baby Christians" - Thankful1

-- I think of David.

Was he only a "baby" in his relationship with God because he intentionally put Uriah at the front of the battle to make sure he was killed?

There is a very long litany of things that show he strove to seek and serve God with all his heart, accomplishing much with God's help.

Baby?

Many strong Christians, some who have led scores to Christ, worked as missionaries founding churches around the world, in many cases risking their lives to bring light to the darkness, have - in a weak or selfish moment - chosen to sin.

They have then come to realize they have made a grave mistake, gone to God and sought forgiveness, and have been again washed white.

According to your definition they are "at best baby Christians."

I am surprised that you feel qualified to make that blanket judgement of all Christians from the time of Christ's resurrection until today.

I would refer you to Matt 7: 1-5

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
"No what I am saying is that those who deliberately commit sin are at best baby Christians" - Thankful1

-- I think of David.

Was he only a "baby" in his relationship with God because he intentionally put Uriah at the front of the battle to make sure he was killed?

There is a very long litany of things that show he strove to seek and serve God with all his heart, accomplishing much with God's help.

Baby?

Many strong Christians, some who have led scores to Christ, worked as missionaries founding churches around the world, in many cases risking their lives to bring light to the darkness, have - in a weak or selfish moment - chosen to sin.

They have then come to realize they have made a grave mistake, gone to God and sought forgiveness, and have been again washed white.

According to your definition they are "at best baby Christians."

I am surprised that you feel qualified to make that blanket judgement of all Christians from the time of Christ's resurrection until today.

I would refer you to Matt 7: 1-5

You should remember that David was not a Christian.

(Matthew 11:11) “I tell you solemnly, of all the children born of women, a greater than John the Baptist has never been seen; yet the least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he is.”

Understand that a Christian is in the kingdom of heaven; at least the kingdom of heaven is in a Christian. A Christian is a temple of God where no sin exists.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Of course David was not a Christian. That's why I said 'God.'

Point was - and ignored purposefully, I suppose - that he was favored by God, had an intimate relationship with God, and spent his live serving God, but he still CHOSE to sin.

In an earlier post you chose to quote Hebrews 10:26
"If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,"

You seem to miss the fact that this is talking about returning to a sinful life. An ongoing practice of sin.

It does NOT imply that if a person does a single willful sin, they have returned to the ranks of the lost.

You of course ignore what I said about some mighty Christians who have does incredible things for God, leading scores to salvation, etc. but at one time or another willfully chose to sin.

They turned away, sought forgiveness and God washed them white.

According to you they were "at best baby Christians."

"A Christian is a temple of God where no sin exists." - Thankful1

-- Close. Better: A temple of God where no sin is allowed to remain.

All Christians have sinned. ALL. The key is to recognize it, seek sincere forgiveness as soon as they recogize it, and do their very best to turn away from sin from that point on.

They are then made whole again.

Your implication is the moment there is sin in a Christian's life, the lease on the temple is null and void.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
Of course David was not a Christian. That's why I said 'God.'

Point was - and ignored purposefully, I suppose - that he was favored by God, had an intimate relationship with God, and spent his live serving God, but he still CHOSE to sin.

In an earlier post you chose to quote Hebrews 10:26
"If we deliberately keep on sinning after we have received the knowledge of the truth, no sacrifice for sins is left,"

You seem to miss the fact that this is talking about returning to a sinful life. An ongoing practice of sin.

It does NOT imply that if a person does a single willful sin, they have returned to the ranks of the lost.

You of course ignore what I said about some mighty Christians who have does incredible things for God, leading scores to salvation, etc. but at one time or another willfully chose to sin.

They turned away, sought forgiveness and God washed them white.

According to you they were "at best baby Christians."

"A Christian is a temple of God where no sin exists." - Thankful1

-- Close. Better: A temple of God where no sin is allowed to remain.

All Christians have sinned. ALL. The key is to recognize it, seek sincere forgiveness as soon as they recogize it, and do their very best to turn away from sin from that point on.

They are then made whole again.

Your implication is the moment there is sin in a Christian's life, the lease on the temple is null and void.

(Hebrews 10:26) “If, after we have been given knowledge of the truth, we should deliberately commit any sins”

No you miss the fact it says any sins.

May be Ananias and his wife Sapphira were under the same false understanding that you are.

(Acts 5:1) “There was another man, however, called Ananias. He and his wife, Sapphira,

John says that if anyone sins he or she has not seen God or knows God. He does not say continually sin. John says sins. A person who knows God will not sin. A Christian is dead to sin.

People need to understand all of that, because until one comes to know that he or she will die in their sins.

People need to start trying to understand how one can stop sinning instead of trying to find excuses to justify their sinning.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
(Hebrews 10:26-31) “If, after we have been given knowledge of the truth, we should deliberately commit any sins, then there is no longer any sacrifice for them. There will be left only the dreadful prospect of judgment and of the raging fire that is to burn rebels. Anyone who disregards the Law of Moses is ruthlessly put to death on the word of two witnesses or three; and you may be sure that anyone who tramples on the Son of God, and who insults the Spirit of grace, will be condemned to a far severer punishment. We are all aware who it was that said: Vengeance is mine; I will repay. And again: The Lord will judge his people. It is a dreadful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”
Well then, everyone here is doomed but you sinless ones.

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
Well then, everyone here is doomed but you sinless ones.

Take the blinders off, and understand that Jesus gave us the way to have victory over Satan/sin.

Jesus chose to give me the understanding, and told me to give the word to his people. I am sure he did not do this so I can boast. He chose to use me, but I am not special. He wants people to come to an understanding that Christians are temples of God, and as such have defeated Satan/sin.

There is a spiritual walk that I am trying to open people’s eyes to see. A walk that is so far above what the Church is teaching. A walk that most people don’t even know exists. Jesus chose to use me to give this message, and I can only say that I may be the most blessed man alive.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
Jesus chose to give me the understanding, and told me to give the word to his people.

The truth is that you don't know who has been teaching you. And according to you YOU shouldn't be teaching others. So then why is this not sin that you are committing? Anyone else see this clear contradiction?

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010

The truth is that you don't know who has been teaching you. And according to you YOU shouldn't be teaching others. So then why is this not sin that you are committing? Anyone else see this clear contradiction?

How dare you accuse me of sin?

My job is to give a word and that is what I am doing.

I am telling people to go to Jesus/Holy Spirit and let him only teach him or her.

I am telling people not to accept any teaching about God that comes from man. I am man, so don’t accept any thing I say about God unless Jesus says it is right.

Duckybill

Feb 12, 2010
How dare you accuse me of sin?

My job is to give a word and that is what I am doing.

I am telling people to go to Jesus/Holy Spirit and let him only teach him or her.

I am telling people not to accept any teaching about God that comes from man. I am man, so don’t accept any thing I say about God unless Jesus says it is right.

Are you for real? You should go back and read your posts. You have called many of God's people of Satan and declare yourself to be sinless. You remind me of someone.

Luke 18:11 (NKJV)
[sup]11 [/sup]The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men--extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector.

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
There is a spiritual walk that I am trying to open people’s eyes to see. A walk that is so far above what the Church is teaching. A walk that most people don’t even know exists. Jesus chose to use me to give this message, and I can only say that I may be the most blessed man alive.

The Church? You mean the Body of Christ? All these years have been teaching a far lesser standard than yours. Which means that everyone in the Body of Christ, who, if I took a poll, none would admit to being sinless as you, are now of Satan, according to your definition of sin and righteousness, Your religion must have a revolving door, in one day, out the next.
I guess Christ's work on the cross is only a one time deal. You get saved once but then make sure you don't sin again because you're out the door.

The truth is that when you get saved you do not become perfect, believe it or not you're still human. Nevertheless the Father declares you to be righteous, because of the work of His Son, and therefore clothes you with His own Righteouness. In the mean time the Holy Spirit is working under that cloak to transform you into the image of Christ, to point out the sins we may be totally unaware off, such as self-righteousness, arrogance, false humility even things like worry and fear. This is called the sanctification process or bringing the bride to a spotless and wrinkle free position. And when the Holy Spirit does point out sins, or sinful behaviour or attitudes, we graceously have an advocate before the father who constantly pleads on our behalf if we choose the repent and walk in obedience.

I am 39 years in the Lord and you are the first I have met, including all the authors I have read, that has actualy confessed to be sinless.

I was so looking forward to meeting Paul in heaven. But then he also had a struggle with sin.

[sup]15[/sup]For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
[sup]16[/sup]If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
[sup]17[/sup]Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
[sup]18[/sup]For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
[sup]19[/sup]For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
[sup]20[/sup]Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
[sup]21[/sup]I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
[sup]22[/sup]For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
[sup]23[/sup]But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
[sup]24[/sup]O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
[sup]25[/sup]I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

Foreigner

Apr 14, 2010
Excellent points, DiDasKaLos.

According to Thankful1, Paul was "at best a baby Christian."

Thankful 1

Dec 2, 2010
The Church? You mean the Body of Christ? All these years have been teaching a far lesser standard than yours. Which means that everyone in the Body of Christ, who, if I took a poll, none would admit to being sinless as you, are now of Satan, according to your definition of sin and righteousness, Your religion must have a revolving door, in one day, out the next.
I guess Christ's work on the cross is only a one time deal. You get saved once but then make sure you don't sin again because you're out the door.

The truth is that when you get saved you do not become perfect, believe it or not you're still human. Nevertheless the Father declares you to be righteous, because of the work of His Son, and therefore clothes you with His own Righteouness. In the mean time the Holy Spirit is working under that cloak to transform you into the image of Christ, to point out the sins we may be totally unaware off, such as self-righteousness, arrogance, false humility even things like worry and fear. This is called the sanctification process or bringing the bride to a spotless and wrinkle free position. And when the Holy Spirit does point out sins, or sinful behaviour or attitudes, we graceously have an advocate before the father who constantly pleads on our behalf if we choose the repent and walk in obedience.

I am 39 years in the Lord and you are the first I have met, including all the authors I have read, that has actualy confessed to be sinless.

I was so looking forward to meeting Paul in heaven. But then he also had a struggle with sin.

[sup]15[/sup]For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I.
[sup]16[/sup]If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good.
[sup]17[/sup]Now then it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
[sup]18[/sup]For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but how to perform that which is good I find not.
[sup]19[/sup]For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
[sup]20[/sup]Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
[sup]21[/sup]I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.
[sup]22[/sup]For I delight in the law of God after the inward man:
[sup]23[/sup]But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members.
[sup]24[/sup]O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?
[sup]25[/sup]I thank God through Jesus Christ our Lord. So then with the mind I myself serve the law of God; but with the flesh the law of sin.

You come across as educated in the written Word of God. Yet you dare to quote Romans seven as if Paul was speaking about his fight with sin after he became Spiritual. That to me is deceit, or down right ignorance.

Paul explains how Christians defeat Satan/sin in Romans eight and you don’t know this?

Paul tells us: (1 Corinthians 3:1-3) “Brothers, I myself was unable to speak to you as people of the Spirit; I treated you as sensual men, still infants in Christ. What I fed you with was milk, not solid food, for you were not ready for it; and indeed, you are still not ready for it since you are still unspiritual. Isn’t that obvious from all the jealousy and wrangling that there is among you, from the way that you go on behaving like ordinary people?”

A Christian who sins is still unspiritual.

John tells us in much harder terms: (1 John 3:8) “He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work”

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
You come across as educated in the written Word of God. Yet you dare to quote Romans seven as if Paul was speaking about his fight with sin after he became Spiritual. That to me is deceit, or down right ignorance.

I have no doubt that Paul grew, learned, progressed in his Christian life that he was able to fight the good fight and stand having done all to stand. At least he didn't go around saying that he was sinless, as a matter of fact he acknowledged having a thorn in the flesh, a messenger (same word used for angel) of Satan to buffet him. Something maybe to keep him humble.

Paul explains how Christians defeat Satan/sin in Romans eight and you don’t know this?

Oh, but I do. Every day I lay myself up as a living sacrifice. As I am sure Paul did.

By the way, I'm intrigue, what church do you attend, if you attend?

I noticed you didn't comment on anything I said about sanctification, I guess that doctrine would put a wrinkle in what you're saying and since you're spotless and without wrinkle we wouldn't want that.

Have you met anyone else as sinless as yourself?

BTW would mind increasing your font size, just to make things easier. Thanks

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Ephesians 4 doesn't say gifts, it says He gave some apostles, some prophets, some evangelists etc. he doesn't say gift.

Ephesians 4:11 ( KJV )
And he gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;

These things mentioned are in the Masculine gender in the Greek language, indication they are people. The way I understand it is that Christ gave people to fill these roles, but not that they are offices.

I see you're stuck on the word Gift.

Just go back to verses 4-5-6. of Cor. 12

What do you think "Diversities of Manifestations (Gift is not mentioned) but the same Spirit" refers to?

What do you think " Diversities of Administrations but the same Lord" refers to?

What do you think "Diversities of Operations but the same God, who gives all in all" refers to?

Butch5

Butch5
Oct 24, 2009
Homer Ga.
I see you're stuck on the word Gift.

Just go back to verses 4-5-6. of Cor. 12

What do you think "Diversities of Manifestations (Gift is not mentioned) but the same Spirit" refers to?

What do you think " Diversities of Administrations but the same Lord" refers to?

What do you think "Diversities of Operations but the same God, who gives all in all" refers to?

I'm not stuck on the word gifts.You keep pointing me to 1 Corinthians yet the issue is Ephesians 4. Paul doesn't say He gave gifts or offices. He says, He gave some apostle to the church, He gave some evangelists to the church etc.The Greek grammar doesn't allow the interpretation that you are suggesting. Each of those mentioned in Ephesians 4 is a noun in the masculine gender. If these were offices or gifts they would be nouns in the Neuter gender, not the masculine. It's not my interpretation it's that grammar.

perrero

Aug 6, 2010
Edmonton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm not stuck on the word gifts.You keep pointing me to 1 Corinthians yet the issue is Ephesians 4. Paul doesn't say He gave gifts or offices. He says, He gave some apostle to the church, He gave some evangelists to the church etc.The Greek grammar doesn't allow the interpretation that you are suggesting. Each of those mentioned in Ephesians 4 is a noun in the masculine gender. If these were offices or gifts they would be nouns in the Neuter gender, not the masculine. It's not my interpretation it's that grammar.

OK, let's not talk Gifts or offices.

Can you answer my three questions, please?