Giving others freedom to think and believe differently

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Which do you believe to be more effective, to listen to the foolish babblings of an atheist, or to correct him in his subversive and self-destructive way of thinking?
Babbling is not confined to atheists.
Look atheists can be obnoxiously rude. And Christians can obnoxiously superior.
Having said that I probably prefer the company of Christians.

Reactions: April_Rose

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
You are going to be a very fruitless Christian...!
That doesn't offend me because I know you mean well.
I think it's more complex than that though.
Sometimes a polite moral atheist has more of Jesus in them than a Christian.

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, they are dying because every day that they lose in confessing Christ as Lord & Saviour, is one day closer to eternal damnation.
See I don't have that sense of urgency. Maybe you are right. I say maybe. Not definitely.
I need to recommit myself. Soon is good.

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi H2S, no, it was the Anglican, King James of Scotland (later to become King of England also), who authorized the KJV.
In it's first few initial releases, the KJV included the Deuterocanonical books that the Catholic Bibles have, but upon subsequent revisions (1885), it was removed until this present day. I'm not aware of any modern day translations, outside of Catholic Bibles (Douay-Rheims, Jerusalem, New American, ..), that include the Apocrypha (deuterocanonical)
This is what I found on the web...
The Short Answer
We can say with some certainty that the first widespread edition of the Bible was assembled by St. Jerome around A.D. 400. This manuscript included all 39 books of the Old Testament and the 27 books of the New Testament in the same language: Latin. This edition of the Bible is commonly referred to as The Vulgate.

Jerome wasn't the first to select all 66 books we know today as the Bible. He was the first to translate and compile everything into a single volume.
Who Compiled the 66 Books of the Bible and When?

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Re purgatory
i was only joking re hard Labor to pay for sins. It's more a wish of mine. That I think I will still have sins when I die.
I still believe it exists like a purification or burning to make us holy enough for Heaven .
But that's just my belief. I don't take it all too seriously . there might be a Hell. I'm not sure. There might be a Heaven. But not as we imagine it. I'm not going to debate it anyway.
Here's wiki on purgatory
Purgatory - Wikipedia

Grunt Hemlock

Feb 25, 2021
WACO
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
H2S - Orthodox Bibles include the Apocrypha/Deuterocanical books - it is not just "Catholic Bibles" that have them.

jaybird

Feb 29, 2016
Re purgatory
i was only joking re hard Labor to pay for sins. It's more a wish of mine. That I think I will still have sins when I die.
I still believe it exists like a purification or burning to make us holy enough for Heaven .
But that's just my belief. I don't take it all too seriously . there might be a Hell. I'm not sure. There might be a Heaven. But not as we imagine it. I'm not going to debate it anyway.
Here's wiki on purgatory
Purgatory - Wikipedia

i have always believed in purgatory, a lot of my family is Catholic but i grew up baptist and they hated purgatory. it never made sense the our loving Father in heaven, the one that Jesus says loves us more than our earthly fathers, would send us to hell for a few mistakes.
Jews were teaching purgatory long before Catholics. lots of info on it in the DSS.

Reactions: saintiaint

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
and to be quite honest.. I would rather be in the presence of an athiest than a great many Christians.

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
and to be quite honest.. I would rather be in the presence of an athiest than a great many Christians.
Well that's right.
Stereotypes ;
Rude talkative atheist
Nice polite quiet Christian who is a good listener

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well that's right.
Stereotypes ;
Rude talkative atheist
Nice polite quiet Christian who is a good listener

My thinking goes beyond that... LOL... I just don't have the time of day for rudeness... arrogance... or those who think it's their job to "correct" others. Correction indeed has it's place... however there is a biblical way to do it... and not many who follow an 'angry' God seem to understand that. What I reacted to on this thread was rudeness... It gets me every time... LOL

Reactions: saintiaint

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Babbling is not confined to atheists.
Look atheists can be obnoxiously rude. And Christians can obnoxiously superior.
Having said that I probably prefer the company of Christians.
Point is, no matter what the context, when there is error, no matter how egregious the error is, the one who knows better is obligated to step in.
Your attitude is way too complacent. I get your point, but it's not balanced enough, you have not acknowledged the merits and obligation, of evangelism on any level.

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My thinking goes beyond that... LOL... I just don't have the time of day for rudeness... arrogance... or those who think it's their job to "correct" others. Correction indeed has it's place... however there is a biblical way to do it... and not many who follow an 'angry' God seem to understand that. What I reacted to on this thread was rudeness... It gets me every time... LOL
Actually I reacted to rudeness earlier in the thread. But it was pretty good after that.
People get carried away with "content" and an an attitude of " it's what I say that matters not how I say it".
And they think " I'm just truth tellin'...if they can't handle the truth, that's their problem". Yet I don't think they would like to be on the receiving end.
As far as "truth" goes, how you communicate says a lot more about "truth "than the message itself.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
That doesn't offend me because I know you mean well.
I think it's more complex than that though.
Sometimes a polite moral atheist has more of Jesus in them than a Christian.
I'm a fruitless Christian, as far as I am concerned. I don't have the necessary audacity to preach at every available opportunity, nor do I have the wisdom to say the right things when engaged with a detractor.
But, at least I recognize this, and thus have potential. You, on the other hand, are entirely denouncing what I am espousing, or rather, what you should be embracing.

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Point is, no matter what the context, when there is error, no matter how egregious the error is, the one who knows better is obligated to step in.
Your attitude is way too complacent. I get your point, but it's not balanced enough, you have not acknowledged the merits and obligation, of evangelism on any level.
I define evangelism differently. Or more broadly. You seem to limit evangelism to "I'm the expert. Now listen to what I have to say".
There is a time and place for that I admit. But it's only a part of it.