Giving others freedom to think and believe differently

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
For some people they already live in Hell. Like the average person in North Korea. Threats of Hell aren't going to scare them. They are used to it.

Reactions: amadeus

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
LOL No, I am concerned you will drag others to hell.
Will you guys stop with your narrow-minded and feeble nonsense.
Preaching the Gospel does not have to be heavy handed, no one is endorsing that. Philip did not preach hell-fire to the Ethiopian, Peter did not condemn the 3,000 on the day of Pentecost, Paul did not give a scathing sermon to the Laodiceans or the Corinthians, etc...
There were several times when he rebuked the Jews for the stiff-necked hearts, but that was in context to their defiance and disruption of his missionary work.
I am not talking about hell-fire preaching at all, I am talking about making an effort to spread the Good News (Gospel). I am simply attempting to differentiate between those that are too shy, or too complacent or indifferent about it, as opposed to those who takes Christ's great commission seriously (Matthew 28:16-20).
Paul become all things, to all men - he preached with love, compassion, wisdom, and mainly, concern.
Since when does evangelization have such a one-sided connotation to it, as in solely denoting hell-fire preaching????
Every single one of you need to get out there and start saving souls, don't make excuses that your 'actions' will win them over - who the heck is impressive enough for that (self-righteous nonsense)?

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No matter how strongly we believe in Christianity, or in our special version of it, we should never coerce or intimidate others for holding a different view.
I value freedom. I live in a democracy. Freedom to have our own thoughts, no matter how immature or strange they may seem to others. That's sacred in my view.
Freedom might be more important than faith in Jesus Christ. Well, surely Jesus wants us to come to him freely. Not with handcuffs on forced to follow him.
I happen to believe in Jesus as the son of God. I came to Him freely. I wasn't forced.
But that freedom I had was very important.
So we are called to evangalise. Personally I try to say less and act more. Be a witness.
I never say to someone " you should believe in Jesus Christ"
Or "Jesus is the TRUTH!! You had better believe it"!! In a threatening tone.
That's a turn off.
What if someone on here suddenly lost their faith and became atheist. Would you lecture them?
Give them space. Give them freedom to go on their own journey. And have their own thoughts.

I agree, but with some stipulations. If they are teaching destructive heresies to others, our responsibility in Christ is to expose them for it, and if we sense by the Spirit of God that they are destined for Hell if they continue on their present course, we have a responsibility before God to warn them about that as well. You do agree, yes?

God bless, and hope you are well.

Reactions: saintiaint

saintiaint

Mar 4, 2021
London
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hell if they continue on their present course, we have a responsibility before God to warn them about that as well. You do agree, yes
I might in very special circumstances. I would have to know the exact context.
If someone was living a decadent self destructive lifestyle, I might be tempted to say something strongly if I thought that would wake them up. To turn their life around.
But the average punter who doesn't have obvious issues, I would not.

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Will you guys stop with your narrow-minded and feeble nonsense.
Preaching the Gospel does not have to be heavy handed, no one is endorsing that. Philip did not preach hell-fire to the Ethiopian, Peter did not condemn the 3,000 on the day of Pentecost, Paul did not give a scathing sermon to the Laodiceans or the Corinthians, etc...
There were several times when he rebuked the Jews for the stiff-necked hearts, but that was in context to their defiance and disruption of his missionary work.
I am not talking about hell-fire preaching at all, I am talking about making an effort to spread the Good News (Gospel). I am simply attempting to differentiate between those that are too shy, or too complacent or indifferent about it, as opposed to those who takes Christ's great commission seriously (Matthew 28:16-20).
Paul become all things, to all men - he preached with love, compassion, wisdom, and mainly, concern.
Since when does evangelization have such a one-sided connotation to it, as in solely denoting hell-fire preaching????
Every single one of you need to get out there and start saving souls, don't make excuses that your 'actions' will win them over - who the heck is impressive enough for that (self-righteous nonsense)?

Calvinist....? Predestinationists?
Why worry about spreading the Good News if you believe that God decides for them?
Do you want to try to explain how that works?

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
What are you trying to quote?
The Bible says work out your own salvation with fear and trembling - not work out your own SINS.

Phl 2:12

Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
What do you think your Salvation is then, disregarding your own Sins ?
Do you claim that your Sins don't count.
It's all about Sin bro ! not to be led into temptations you know.
If one has a handle on Sin one understands not to be tempted by such and one turns away from doing such in fact bro. I know the religious who claim that all their sins are forgiven regardless, so now they can sin to their hearts content, they claim to be saved ? but they clearly are not at all in fact they are worse than before.

Fact is that one must be genuine in examining ones own sins and learn to deal with such a thing, that's wisdom.
If you have truly hurt another because of your disregard for them, is it not wise to contemplate what you did was wrong, so you do not follow the same mistakes. ok examples could be many, but lets say the disregard causes much pain and strife ? no would it not be better to try and work out a better way of going about such a business.
Example on one of late I have seen, a mate sells his house and is buying another, simple deal he thought, but oh no ! he is having kittens freaking out now for 4 weeks, he is so upset and he is moving into a over 50's setup, it's much like old peoples home deals, that can be very shady as to the law. ok he is 67yo he is under so much stress now, such stress of things like that could kill people you know. he thought it a simple deal and does the people who he is dealing with care, well not at all. that's a shocking disregard of duty and that is a Sinful practice.
Try to at least Do the right thing by people is what Christianity is all about. and as the years go forward we will have a brighter future inherited to us all, but for one thing Sin leads too is Hellfire for all down the track because they bathed in their Sin led ways of Man. so work out your ? with fear and trembling = do the right thing or you may suffer yourself from the wages of Sin.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Calvinist....? Predestinationists?
Why worry about spreading the Good News if you believe that God decides for them?
Do you want to try to explain how that works?
No, not me, as I don't subscribe to Reformed Theology, ...so, I can appreciate your indignation on that point.
But, why are you assuming that I am Reformed, when my whole point is to preach to the lost - like you said, that's antithetical to 5 point Calvinism?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, not me, as I don't subscribe to Reformed Theology, ...so, I can appreciate your indignation on that point.
But, why are you assuming that I am Reformed, when my whole point is to preach to the lost - like you said, that's antithetical to 5 point Calvinism?

You don't think I pay attention?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not after your last 2 posts, obviously?
I still have no clue where you're coming from, honestly?

Kool! Saw the light? Can I right you down as a reformed...reformed Calvinist that subjugates women?

So how is life as a free-will Christian?

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Kool! Saw the light? Can I right you down as a reformed...reformed Calvinist that subjugates women?

So how is life as a free-will Christian?
Oh my goodness, you wanna play games?
Yes, I'm a complementarian, ...but still haven't a clue what the flippin' heck else that you are talking about?

Grailhunter

Jun 19, 2019
FARMINGTON
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh my goodness, you wanna play games?
Yes, I'm a complementarian, ...but still haven't a clue what the flippin' heck else that you are talking about?

And you think I do not have a good read on you?
The talking in circles thing will never work.
complementarian is a big word for the belief that women should know their place.
Kind of like the Hindu caste system.
flippin! So you are not a Predestinationist...Calvin?
Free-will all the way?

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I had to look up the word Complementarian... Must be my week for learning things...

I think I'll keep my thoughts to myself though... LOL

Addy

Jun 20, 2020
Ontario
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
For the sake of a smooth running thread... I took it upon myself to include this BROAD definition of the word Complementarian used in post #174 Please don't shoot the messenger if you don't agree.

Complementarianism is a theological view in Christianity, Judaism, and Islam, that men and women have different but complementary roles and responsibilities in marriage, family life, and religious leadership. The word "complementary" and its cognates are currently used to denote this view.

This would be an excellent topic... within the confines of Christianity.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
And you think I do not have a good read on you?
The talking in circles thing will never work.
complementarian is a big word for the belief that women should know their place.
Kind of like the Hindu caste system.
flippin! So you are not a Predestinationist...Calvin?
Free-will all the way?
Try and stick to the OP, ...unless your mind can't help from wandering so much?

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@VictoryinJesus ... I have often said... there are two kinds of Christians... those who breath life into others and those who breath death.
Or as our old friend @bbyrd009 would describe the latter, the one seeking death more abundantly instead of Life as they call evil good and good evil.