• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That's because the word creative has to do with creating. So, creative power is the power to create, right? o_O

Does the word of God accomplish what it says? His word accomplishes what He wants it to accomplish. That's as close as I can get to answering your question, and I will bow out of this discussion, leaving you with this scripture.

Isaiah 55:10-11
For just as rain and snow fall from heaven
and do not return there
without saturating the earth
and making it germinate and sprout,
and providing seed to sow
and food to eat,
so My word that comes from My mouth
will not return to Me empty,
but it will accomplish what I please
and will prosper in what I send it to do.
And I'll leave you with this:

Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me. (Psalms 51:10)

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How can the words "Go and sin no more" serve as a promise of future events?

In that, when Jesus commands us to do something, He also enables us to obey the command.

This is why Peter, when Jesus came to them on the water, asked Jesus to tell him to come out to Him on the water; and it is why he was able to walk on water for that brief moment when Jesus told him to come.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Ah, I didn't answer THE question.

What do you mean by "creative power"? When God said, "Let there be light," there was light, which is matter. IOW, matter called light was created. What matter can possibly be created when the words "Go, and sin no more" are spoken?
the casting out of demons.....the stilling of a storm...internally or externally.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Go, And Sin No More

When we study the Bible with others, or talk about Bible study, the topic at hand usually ends up being buttressed by verses that are carefully scrutinized (every word), and defended with much vigor and confidence.

“Go, and sin no more.” (John 8:11)

Do we believe these words of Christ as much as we believe words such as “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus?” (Romans 8:1) Do they not have as much creative power as “Let there be light?” When Gods says “So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it” (Isaiah 55:11), does it apply to “Go, and sin no more?” Or is there a 2nd-rate category of Scripture?

It should be understood that we are speaking distinctly of sanctification here. Justification has already been administered. The pronouncement: “Neither do I condemn thee” has already gone forth, earlier in the verse in question.

The ability of God to justify is rarely questioned.

But folks who attach any more than nominal value to sanctification are maligned as “legalists,” as if it were as a virus running rampant in the Church today. Is legalism really as serious a problem as liberalism? And should any hint of encouragement to overcome sin be denounced and ridiculed?

And if so, why?
Those who know God (emphasis on 'know') have no issues with obedience. Those who know him not but have a religious spirit are desirous to modify, reinterpret or supplant whatever God deems as healthy and in so doing deny his creativite power.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Go, And Sin No More

When we study the Bible with others, or talk about Bible study, the topic at hand usually ends up being buttressed by verses that are carefully scrutinized (every word), and defended with much vigor and confidence.

Do we believe these words of Christ as much as we believe words such as “There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus?” (Romans 8:1) Do they not have as much creative power as “Let there be light?” When Gods says “So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it” (Isaiah 55:11), does it apply to “Go, and sin no more?” Or is there a 2nd-rate category of Scripture?

It should be understood that we are speaking distinctly of sanctification here. Justification has already been administered. The pronouncement: “Neither do I condemn thee” has already gone forth, earlier in the verse in question.

But folks who attach any more than nominal value to sanctification are maligned as “legalists,” as if it were as a virus running rampant in the Church today. Is legalism really as serious a problem as liberalism? And should any hint of encouragement to overcome sin be denounced and ridiculed?

And if so, why?
Hello @BarneyFife,

The Scriptures chosen and quoted in regard to a subject, are chosen because they have specific application to it. The Scripture you have chosen to head your thread (John 8:11) is not specifically about the subject you are raising, which is 'Sanctification'. You have taken it out of it's context and misused it. For justification and sanctification is not in it's context. With respect, is this not handling the word of God deceitfully?

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Reactions: mailmandan

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What does "that your sins may be blotted out" have to do with the command: "Go, and sin no more?" I'm not making excuses for anything. If it's not clear to you that one sentence is longer than the other and has more meaning, then there's nothing more to be said about the matter. You're just being argumentative.
Go, And Sin No More?

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'Now the Lord is that Spirit:
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord,
are changed into the same image from glory to glory,
even as by the Spirit of the Lord.'

(2 Corinthians 3:17-18)

Hello @BarnyFife

This (above) is God's means of bringing about change within us. As we are occupied with Christ so we will reflect His glory in our lives unconsciously, like Moses reflected the glory of God in his face when he came down from the mount, having been in God's presence, he was not aware of it, but the people who witnessed it were. So it is with the one who is occupied with Christ.

It is not some standard which we have to reach, not some emotion that we have to feel, not some 'blessing' that we have to claim, not some 'act of faith', or 'act of surrender' of our own. But simply the occupation of the heart with Christ in glory, not with the Holy Spirit, with Calvary, or with Pentecost, but Christ. The Holy Spirit it is who takes of the things of Christ and makes them known to us.

Praise His Holy Name!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go, And Sin No More

And if so, why?
You didn't finish that verse. Why?
Are you wanting to appear as someone who has overcome sin in their life?
Did you know, that is NOT WHY Jesus came. He came to overcome death, so that He could freely grant to each of us His Gift of Eternal Life, that is if we would repent TOWARDS God.
BTw, did you know, that repenting from sin grants to no one the Gift of Eternal Life?

Therefore, if you are a born again Christian, you should seek the spiritual truth of His words, and not just the words themselves.
John 5[14] Afterward Jesus findeth him in the temple, and said unto him, Behold, thou art made whole: sin no more, lest a worse thing come unto thee.

1. Behold, thou art made whole:
What made you to be whole?
2. sin no more,
If you sin, will you then be made un-whole?
3. lest a worse thing come unto thee.
By referencing the 10C Law, what worse things could come upon us due to sin?
For example: if I am caught as a thief, what might be the many potential consequences of that sin, from our society of living?
What about God? Will He make you to be un-whole? Iows, will He depart from you, until you repent from that one sin?

What do the words "a vicious circle" mean?
Please relate your understanding to the words of John 3:18; Romans 8:9; Philippians 4:7.
In spite of our deplorable condition of our sinful flesh, please notice in Rom. 8:9 of what it is that we all must have, regardless of whether we sin or not.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
'But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus,
Who of God is made unto us wisdom,
and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
That, according as it is written,
He that glorieth, let Him glory in the Lord.'

(1Corinthians 1:30-31)

Hello @BarnyFife,

The believer finds that instead of progressing from one degree of perfection to another, they discover in themselves daily more of that sin which is exceeding sinful; they behold themselves vile, and cling with all intensity of faith to Jesus, Who says unto them, 'My grace is sufficient for thee.' They are saved by grace; they know Christ alone to be their righteousness and perfection; and even at the end of their earthly journey, of their labours and suffering, they grasp the faithful saying, worthy of all acceptation, that 'Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am Chief'.

Rest in the Lord, and in Him alone.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You didn't finish that verse. Why?
Uh, because I wasn't referring to John 5; it was John 8 I was quoting. And people quote parts of verses all the time. The Bible was not originally separated into verses. There are no less than 11 question marks in your post and 3 requests for expositions. Thank you for your participation. :)

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'Now the Lord is that Spirit:
and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.
But we all, with open face beholding as in a glass the glory of the Lord,
are changed into the same image from glory to glory,
even as by the Spirit of the Lord.'

(2 Corinthians 3:17-18)

Hello @BarnyFife

This (above) is God's means of bringing about change within us. As we are occupied with Christ so we will reflect His glory in our lives unconsciously, like Moses reflected the glory of God in his face when he came down from the mount, having been in God's presence, he was not aware of it, but the people who witnessed it were. So it is with the one who is occupied with Christ.

It is not some standard which we have to reach, not some emotion that we have to feel, not some 'blessing' that we have to claim, not some 'act of faith', or 'act of surrender' of our own. But simply the occupation of the heart with Christ in glory, not with the Holy Spirit, with Calvary, or with Pentecost, but Christ. The Holy Spirit it is who takes of the things of Christ and makes them known to us.

Praise His Holy Name!

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris
Isn't 2 verses rather a narrow view of the process of sanctification? And who said anything about a standard?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
'But of Him are ye in Christ Jesus,
Who of God is made unto us wisdom,
and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption:
That, according as it is written,
He that glorieth, let Him glory in the Lord.'

(1Corinthians 1:30-31)

Hello @BarnyFife,

The believer finds that instead of progressing from one degree of perfection to another, they discover in themselves daily more of that sin which is exceeding sinful; they behold themselves vile, and cling with all intensity of faith to Jesus, Who says unto them, 'My grace is sufficient for thee.' They are saved by grace; they know Christ alone to be their righteousness and perfection; and even at the end of their earthly journey, of their labours and suffering, they grasp the faithful saying, worthy of all acceptation, that 'Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am Chief'.

Rest in the Lord, and in Him alone.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Who said anything about perfection, or taking Glory that belongs to God?

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'll never learn not to start threads that I know will veer off into a "You're A Legalist" depository.

BarneyFife

Dec 19, 2019
Central PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have taken it out of it's context and misused it.
I strongly disagree. Don't you know that in the middle ages, people risked their lives by smuggling single pages of Scripture sewn into their garments? And who are you to dictate in what manner a thread should be started?

Last edited:

Ronald David Bruno

Nov 7, 2020
Southern
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Go, And Sin No More

And if so, why?
Who was Jesus talking to when He said that and were they not _ at that time _ under the Law?
The adulterous woman was caught. I am sure she never committed adultery again. Even under the Law, one could not expect anyone not to sin. He pointed out that they were all sinners. Therefore it is the willful practice of sin He was referring to. They were still slaves to sin not having been washed clean by His Blood.
Under Grace, having been forgiven, we are told that we are no longer slaves to sin, but are dead to sin ( as sin has no power over us) and therefore there is no condemnation. Spiritually we are cleansed, yet sin still dwells in the members of our flesh. So our flesh stumbles and falls sometimes and we sin. Our spirit wars against our flesh. We have a dual nature. The Holy Spirit is sanctifying me. Sanctification is instant spiritually, yet concerning our flesh, it is a process. We grow to hate sin and mortify it - gradually. But the sin is not something we practice willfully. It is not sin unto death. We have been forgiven not only past sins, but all sins. That is what no condemnation means.

Last edited:

Heart2Soul

Spiritual Warrior
Staff member
May 10, 2018
Tulsa
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When I say guilty, what I mean is judicially guilty, so that they will be subject to the punishment for sin, that being eternal separation from God.

Much love!
IMHO I think we should differentiate between eternal punishment which applies to those with an uncircumcised heart (non believers)
And the chastisement or rebuke of the Father...which is temporal...and this chapter in Hebrews just absolutely explains chastening in an easy to comprehend way.
Heb 12 (NKJV)
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
³ For consider Him who endured such hostility from sinners against Himself, lest you become weary and discouraged in your souls.
⁴ You have not yet resisted to bloodshed, striving against sin.
⁵ And you have forgotten the exhortation which speaks to you as to sons: "My son, do not despise the chastening of the Lord, Nor be discouraged when you are rebuked by Him;
⁶ For whom the Lord loves He chastens, And scourges every son whom He receives."
⁷ If you endure chastening, God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom a father does not chasten?
⁸ But if you are without chastening, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate and not sons.
⁹ Furthermore, we have had human fathers who corrected us, and we paid them respect. Shall we not much more readily be in subjection to the Father of spirits and live?
¹⁰ For they indeed for a few days chastened us as seemed best to them, but He for our profit, that we may be partakers of His holiness.
¹¹ Now no chastening seems to be joyful for the present, but painful; nevertheless, afterward it yields the peaceable fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
¹² Therefore strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees,

Earburner

Feb 2, 2019
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Sorry. Disagree. So does the Bible. :)
The Sacrificial Blood of Christ is a "two way street". The shed Blood of Jesus Christ, is for the Father's sake, as well as ours.

By your words, you are taking the stance that the Blood Christ cannot remove sins, which is making it equivalent to the blood of "animal sacrifices".
You have yet to learn that as long as we breathe air in these our mortal bodies, we will never be "sin-FREE", but through faith in Christ alone, we are now made to be
"sin-LESS" before the Father.
Col. 3[1] If ye then be risen with Christ, seek those things which are above, where Christ sitteth on the right hand of God.
[2] Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth.
[3] For ye are dead, and your life is hid with Christ in God.