God is not the Author of Confusion and False Theology.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Read and pray for some wisdom and understanding.
1 Peter 3:21 21and ''"this water symbolizes''" baptism that now saves you also-not the removal of dirt from the body but ""the pledge of a clear conscience"" toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,============Confess and repent and call upon Jesus.
How to be saved (born again) and join the family of God!!! Believe God's Word!!

Romans: Chapter 10 verse 9-10-13 GOD SAYS=

if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus,
and shalt believe in your heart that God hath raised him
from the dead, thou shalt be Saved. For with the heart man
believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession
is made unto Salvation. For whosoever shall call upon the
name of the Lord shall be Saved.............. ===============Now obey and be baptized!!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Baptism apart from "faith in the operation of God" (Colossians 2:12) is just getting wet...and has not the power to save.

On the other hand, if, in getting baptized, you are identifying with Jesus in His death, burial, and resurrection; and if in being baptized you are confessing Jesus Christ before men;

That has salvational power (Matthew 10:32, Luke 12:8).

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes!!! "He who believes and is baptized will be saved" (Mk 16:16) He who believes and calls on Jesus is saved and will want to obey and be baptized. Baptzed because he has been saved NOT in order to be saved.

name of the Lord shall be Saved.............. Now obey and be baptized!!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A person may in fact be baptized in order to be saved.

It goes like this (in Acts of the Apostles 2:38-39):

1) Repent;

2) Be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth for the remission of sins; and,

3) You shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost as the result of fulfilling these conditions for the promise.

I most certainly believe that receiving the Holy Ghost = salvation.

And remission of sins also = salvation.

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think and understand=if baptism saves then Hitler is saved===NO WAY!!

Hitler was born to a practicing Catholic mother, and was baptized in the Roman Catholic Church.
Adolf Hitler was a Roman Catholic. December 24, 2017 by Jon Watkins. “As a Child Hitler was baptized into the Catholic Church. He was an ALTAR BOY and at one point he wanted to become a Priest!!! As history would later show, a church member and a christian are two different things!”. Do you "think" Hitler was saved and in heaven today?? Think again!! Baptism saves no one!!

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Think and understand=if baptism saves then Hitler is savrd===NO WAY!!

Hitler was born to a practicing Catholic mother, and was baptized in the Roman Catholic Church.
Adolf Hitler was a Roman Catholic. December 24, 2017 by Jon Watkins. “As a Child Hitler was baptized into the Catholic Church. He was an ALTAR BOY and at one point he wanted to become a Priest!!! As history would later show, a church member and a christian are two different things!”. Do you "think" Hitler was saved and in heaven today?? Think again!! Baptism saves no one!!

If someone believes and is baptized, they "shall be saved" (Mark 16:16)...that is absolute terminology.

Hitler may have been baptized; but I sincerely doubt that he believed.

Likewise, if someone merely believes, but is not baptized, they "should not perish" (John 3:16)...sounds a little "iffy" to me...

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If someone believes and is baptized, they "shall be saved" (Mark 16:16)...that is absolute terminology.

Hitler may have been baptized; but I sincerely doubt that he believed.

Likewise, if someone merely believes, but is not baptized, they "should not perish" (John 3:16)...sounds a little "iffy" to me...

Yes!!! Baptism does NOT save, it is believing and calling on Jesus that saves, If baptism saves then there was no need for Jesus to give His life on the cross!!!Think!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Similarly to my previous post; he would have been saved when he was baptised. I don't claim to be God to know whether he was when he died.

Jesus said
He who believes and is baptized will be saved (Mk 16:16)
That's belief + baptism = salvation

If baptism saves no-one then why does Peter say about eight people being saved in Noah's day that they "were saved through water" and "Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you" (1Pet 3:21)?

Try answering those points.
Then let JESUS say it . YE SHALL KNOW THEM BY THEIR FRUITS . NOT EVERYONE that says to me LORD LORD .
The eunach asks the best question to phillip . HE says , see here is water what does HINDER ME to be baptized .
And phillip says , IF you believe with all your heart ................ye may be baptized . AND HE DID BELIEVE and thus was baptized .
La madre negra de muerte y mintidas , has destroyed many a soul . For english speakers that is the black mother of death and lies .
And we better not enter into her chambers . Very dangerous she is .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes!!! Baptism does NOT save, it is believing and calling on Jesus that saves, If baptism saves then there was no need for Jesus to give His life on the cross!!!Think!

Right...however believing + baptism definitely saves...while merely believing might save you...

Of course, baptism without believing is merely getting wet and very likely has no salvational value...

But Christ might even honour the confession of Him before men even if the person doing it has no faith.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Read and pray for some wisdom and understanding.

Good advice GISMYS. Perhaps you should apply it to yourself as you seem to have little understanding of 1Pet 3:21.

1 Peter 3:21 21and ''"this water symbolizes''" baptism that now saves you also-not the removal of dirt from the body but ""the pledge of a clear conscience"" toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ,============Confess and repent and call upon Jesus.

Let me go through this carefully and then you might understand

Baptism, which corresponds to this, now saves you, not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience, through the resurrection of Jesus Christ (RSV).

Note the parts I have emboldened. This is the core statement
Baptism, ……., now saves you, ….., through the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

The parts I have omitted are extra clarification. I will come back to them later

The Council of Trent defined 5 causes of our initial justification (salvation). Here are two of them:
a) the meritorious cause is His most beloved only-begotten, our Lord Jesus Christ, who, when we were enemies, for the exceeding charity wherewith he loved us, merited Justification for us by His most holy Passion on the wood of the cross, and made satisfaction for us unto God the Father.

Jesus by his passion, death and resurrection merited salvation for us.
This is what Peter says: - we are saved "through the resurrection of Jesus Christ".

But not everyone is saved. There is something else that has to happen before Jesus applies that salvation to us.

b) the instrumental cause is the sacrament of baptism, which is the sacrament of faith, without which (faith) no man was ever justified.
The instrument that Jesus uses to apply his saving grace is baptism. This is what Peter means when he says Baptism, ……., now saves you.

Now for the addition clarification
a) Baptism, which corresponds to this,
Corresponds to what? Well to what Peter has been referring to in the previous verse, namely the salvation of 8 persons through water. Baptism corresponds because we are saved through (by means of) water just as those 8 persons were saved (by means of) water. Water was the instrument that God used to save them and it is the instrument he uses to save us. But whereas in the case of Noah it was physical salvation. In our case it is spiritual salvation.

b) not as a removal of dirt from the body but as an appeal to God for a clear conscience.
Water is normally used for physical cleansing but here Peter is saying it is used for spiritual cleansing - an appeal to God for a clear conscience because God forgives us our sins.

This is what Peter says in Acts 2:38 “Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins"

Of course you might say that the 8 people in Noah's time were saved by the Ark not by the water. The water drowned people. But that is to misunderstand what God was doing in Noah's time.

Immediately before God tells Noah to build the Ark he explains what he is doing:
“In the eyes of God the earth was corrupt and full of lawlessness. When God saw how corrupt the earth had become, since all mortals led depraved lives on earth, he said to Noah: “I have decided to put an end to all mortals on earth; the earth is full of lawlessness because of them. So I will destroy them and all life on earth.” (Gen 6:11-13)

The water (the flood) destroyed the world with all it’s sin and iniquity. It was this that those in the Ark were saved from by means of water. And it saves us in a similar but spiritual way, by clearing out the sin and iniquity in us. As Peter goes on to say it is an appeal to God for a clear conscience - because our sins are forgiven.

Exactly.
Believe Peter when he says Baptism saves us
Believe Peter when he says be baptized for the forgiveness of your sins
Believe Jesus when he says "He who believes and is baptized will be saved"

name of the Lord shall be Saved.............. ===============Now obey and be baptized!!
Romans Chapter 10 verse 9-10-13 doesn't say "Now obey and be baptized!!".
That is GISMYS's words not God's words.

Reactions: Philip James

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Now obey and be baptized!!"
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, BAPTIZING them in the NAME of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Matthew 28:19-20

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
"Now obey and be baptized!!"
19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, BAPTIZING them in the NAME of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:

20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.
Matthew 28:19-20
Yes, and Jesus also said at that time "Go into all the world and preach the gospel to the whole creation. 16 He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned."(Mk 16:15-16)

believes and is baptized will be saved

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
believes and is baptized will be saved
However, if you believe but are not baptized; and if you are baptized but do not believe: both of these produce an "iffy' situation for you, in which you may or may not be saved.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
However, if you believe but are not baptized; and if you are baptized but do not believe: both of these produce an "iffy' situation for you, in which you may or may not be saved.

Life is not always nice and tidy. Jesus gave us the normal way to be saved.
Of course there may be exceptional circumstances but then what happens in those circumstances is up to God.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Life is not always nice and tidy. Jesus gave us the normal way to be saved.
Of course there may be exceptional circumstances but then what happens in those circumstances is up to God.
If you have been baptized but don't have genuine faith in Jesus and are not born again of the Holy Spirit, then I'm sorry, you have not been saved.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
If you have been baptized but don't have genuine faith in Jesus and are not born again of the Holy Spirit, then I'm sorry, you have not been saved.

Your comment bears no relation to what I said. So what was the point of it?

GISMYS_7

Jun 22, 2017
southern USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Those unbelievers that are baptized are NOT saved they just got wet!!
Baptism does NOT save, it is believing and calling on Jesus that saves, If baptism saves then there was no need for Jesus to give His life on the cross!!!Think!

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Those unbelievers that are baptized are NOT saved they just got wet!!
Baptism does NOT save, it is believing and calling on Jesus that saves, If baptism saves then there was no need for Jesus to give His life on the cross!!!Think!

Jesus says
He who believes and is baptized will be saved

Peter says Baptism, ........., now saves you

You need to believe God GISMYS