God's discipline or punishment?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
Some here believe that God doesn't punish our sins. Since Jesus bore that punishment on the cross, this seems true. God obviously disciplines us. As I've stated before, there's a difference between punishment and discipline. However,,,,

What about Ananias and Sappharia? They died because of a sin. (Although Gotquestions.org states they were Jews and not Christians.) Was this discipline? What about people who take communion improper, they die or get sick. Is this discipline? Seems to me it's punishment.

I'm up in the air about all of this. It seems easier to begin to conquer some sins without beating myself up and the fear of punishment. The idea of nothing happening to me when I sin is fantastic! It seems that's a great deal. No weight of guilt, no fear, and therefore no self defeating attitude that leads to self destructive behavior. However, no consequences seems to lead to temptation to sin more. Is this what Paul was talking about when he said, "What then, should we continue to sin?" As in, No, there's no consequences for believers, but that doesn't mean we should keep sinning.

In light of that, this doesn't seem to be intune with God's character. He is the one that said, if you don't discipline your child, you hate your child.

What is God's discipline then? The flu? A flat tire? A sprained ankle? Fired from your job? Maybe a roof leak, or real bad gas? There has to be consequences.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Mostly, the chastisement of God comes through His word, which is one of its functions.

2 Timothy 3:16-17 (NKJV)

[sup]16[/sup] All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, [sup]17[/sup] that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

WhiteKnuckle

Mar 29, 2009
I was hoping for a little more conversation to help me understand some views. Ah, well, Thanks for the reply Lively.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
I am wondering if the verses that says judgement begins with the church has any thing to do with this subject. I have been wondering about this subject also and looking forward to what every ones opinion is.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think God often allows us to experience the nature consequences of our actions. He gave Adam and Eve what they thought they wanted - clothes and space.

I think experiencing the emptiness and brokeness of sin often leads people back to God.

Is it punishment or discipline - that is a good question. From what I know about human nature and animal behavior, discipline works to change behavior, punishment is good for instilling fear.

Reactions: Shirley

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Certainly, God does NOT visit us with illness and disease. That is Satan's forte. We do suffer the NATURAL consequences of sin, but the only way the Father chastises His children with success is through His word. He knows how to get through to us by His Spirit, who is a gentle corrector, and never a harsh taskmaster.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is God's discipline then? The flu? A flat tire? A sprained ankle? Fired from your job? Maybe a roof leak, or real bad gas? There has to be consequences.

God uses these and much more but I believe the most effective is that anguish of conscience (through the Holy Spirit) knowing we are offending a Holy and loving God...One who even died for those very sins...ouch.

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Certainly, God does NOT visit us with illness and disease. That is Satan's forte. We do suffer the NATURAL consequences of sin, but the only way the Father chastises His children with success is through His word. He knows how to get through to us by His Spirit, who is a gentle corrector, and never a harsh taskmaster.

Satan is under God's control, so our diseases and sorrows are certainly from God's hands.

Shirley

Aug 15, 2011
Ohio USA
Satan is under God's control, so our diseases and sorrows are certainly from God's hands.

God currently allows Satan and his Kingdom a lot of free will just like he allows humans. When Jesus comes Satan and his evil workers will be gathered up by Jesus and the angels according to Revelations. If we are struck with illness then God may have removed his protection. It is always satan and his kingdom that causes sin and sickness. Please don't listen to lies from the evil one saying God is not love.

elysian

Oct 9, 2011
Absolutely NOT. God does not pour sickness and disease on His people. He says He is our healer and that He heals us of all our diseases. He is not a schizophrenic!

Psalm 103:3
He forgives all my sins and heals all my diseases.

Then why do many believers suffer terrible illnesses and god doesn't seem to cure them? Seems like Satan is more powerful than God, according to your logic. Which doesn't mean god is not love. But he is righteous, so he maintains order by punishing people with plagues, tsunamis etc. He wants to humble us.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Then why do many believers suffer terrible illnesses and god doesn't seem to cure them? Seems like Satan is more powerful than God, according to your logic. Which doesn't mean god is not love. But he is righteous, so he maintains order by punishing people with plagues, tsunamis etc. He wants to humble us.

People suffer illness because we live in a fallen world. God does heal, but people lack the know-how to appropriate that healing. It is a built-in promise to the believer, but if one doesn't believe that by faith, he won't receive it.

God is love and he is also righteous, and he doesn't maintain order by punishing people with plagues and disasters. Everything you think is bad that occurs on this planet is by Satan's hand. He wants to kill us all. I have a pet peeve with people who immediately blame God when evil befalls them, and completely ignore the devil who is sitting there laughing at them for turning on God, who only wants what is best for people and wants to have a relationship with them and to only bless them!

The problem here is that you are using your human logic and not faith in your attempt at understanding.

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
If satan is the one causing diseases and disasters, then why is God allowing him to?

The earth is Satan's domain. We share it with him, and as Christians, we have been given dominion by God in the first place, as well as the authority of Christ to subdue and overcome him. The problem is that many Christians don't exercise their dominion due to ignorance of their charge by God, or they have been rendered ineffectual by the enemy's work in their lives.

Reactions: Shirley

Phillip

Jan 2, 2012
Jesus suffered the punishment for my sins.

But if I willfully sin after tasting of the Lord, there remains no more sacrifice for sin. That is my only concern, so I keep my body in subjection.

Lying is a greivous sin, for when one lies, they are now lying before the Lord of Glory who bought them with His own blood. Such a soul is as Annanias and his wife. It should cause us all to be very very observant to the obedience of the Holy Spirit in us.

Getting a flat tire or the flu or a sprained ankle or a roof leak lol... these things have nothing to do with God. If they remind you of your own helplessness before God, then they are fulfilling their purpose. It is nothing more than that.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Jesus suffered the punishment for my sins.

But if I willfully sin after tasting of the Lord, there remains no more sacrifice for sin. That is my only concern, so I keep my body in subjection.

Lying is a greivous sin, for when one lies, they are now lying before the Lord of Glory who bought them with His own blood. Such a soul is as Annanias and his wife. It should cause us all to be very very observant to the obedience of the Holy Spirit in us.

Getting a flat tire or the flu or a sprained ankle or a roof leak lol... these things have nothing to do with God. If they remind you of your own helplessness before God, then they are fulfilling their purpose. It is nothing more than that.

"So Jesus suffered the punishment for my sins."
When He hung on the cross, how many of your sins did He suffer for? How many did He bear? How many did He forgive? When you came to Christ you were crucified with Him and risen. The sin question has been dealt with at Calvary. TETELESTAI (It is finished).
If you sin (are unbelieving of this Gospel) as a christian you rob yourself and God of fruit.

Reactions: Lively Stone