Grace is the power to become

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

haz

Feb 17, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Hi haz,

Here is the rest of my reply to your previous post. Later, I shall address your replies.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​

[/font][/font][/size]

On all the points you've mentioned, there is much more BIble study to be assimilated into your grasp of the breadth of the issues. Unbelief isn't the only sin. That is clear from Paul's lists of the sins of the flesh in Romans 1, Galatians 5 and 1 Corinthians 6 - and there are other lists in the shorter epistles - including the effects of wrong attitudes to truth. If you merely roll all those up under unbelief, it's little wonder you want to extend grace to yourself to cover the meaning of many other kinds of shortcoming - none of which is necessary if you walk in the fulness of truth.

[/font][/font][/size]

Ek has not 'sought to undermine the faith of believers'. He has sought to warn you that what you're believing falls far short of the full gospel of Jesus Christ and Him crucified. You may carry on believing as you prefer, of course, but you are way off getting a handle on the power of an endless life which is made available to us now through the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. You appear to have no idea of the facts. Jesus Christ gave His all for you. He has every right to the whole of your life from the moment you first believed (and before) for the rest of eternity. And that claim is the minimum we should acknowledge. What Ek is concerned about is, that you (and others) will die (and after that the judgment Heb 9:27) and you will not be raised to eternal life, because the offer of salvation you've heard to date, is not enough to save you. Read Psa 22 as an account of what was going through Jesus' mind on the cross. Right up until v 21, there is anguish, then there is a complete change of tone into victory. He was grappling with Satan there. He beat Satan there. He gives you (free gift) the victory over all sin - but you have to take it and walk in it.

[/font][/font][/size]

That's the way it appears, because you are the legalist amongst us, thinking that the perfection is attained by what 'we' 'do' 'in the flesh'. You still don't see that we are given our bodies as a vehicle for the Holy Spirit to enable us (by God's grace) to live like Jesus lived through His body. These are the works of righteousness which are by faith, not 'the law'. Whether you realise it or not, you are still on the self-effort bandwagon. That's why 'the gospel of grace' which you've heard is so appealing. It makes little demand on you except belief in the name of Jesus. Your gospel is so far removed from the gospel in the NT, its more a gospel of another Jesus. And don't be mistaken... there are spirits that go along with that gospel, because sin and the flesh are not dealt the death blow by it, which would release you into the life of God. When we die - that fiery baptism of which Jesus told His disciples - we will finally be free of the fallen physical side of 'our old man', Romans 6:6, and we will receive an incorruptible body. Till then, we have to treat the issues which arise from our fallen body, extremely seriously; not ignore the solution which God has provided.

I don't say these things to discourage you. It may be that you have indeed received the incorruptible seed. But the only way forward is to keep pulling your life into line with the teachings of Jesus and the apostles. What you post here, sincerely as you do, does not tie up properly with the beliefs of the historical Christian faith.

[/size]

I don't believe either the 10 commandments or the law of righteousness 'aka' the law of sin and death.

The law of sin and death can be teased out a little. The law of sin, is the spiritual corruption of our beings which occurred when Adam sinned - Rom 5:12 - by which mankind became subject to death also. I recommend you find Young's Literal Translation online, and read Rom 5 - 8 in it, because he shows every place that 'sin' is a noun - the power of sin. It is then easier to see that when we 'do' sin - the active verb - it is the outworking of that power of sin in us which Jesus conquered on the cross for us.

Let's look at the verses around the one you quoted. Romans 9 -

30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith. 31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, has not attained to the law of righteousness. 32 Wherefore? Because [they sought it] not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone; 33 As it is written, Behold, I lay in Sion a stumblingstone and rock of offence: and whoever believes on him shall not be ashamed.

Put this together with 1 Corinthians 9:20a And to the Jews I became as a Jew, that I might gain the Jews
to them that are under the law, as under the law, that I might gain them that are under the law;

It seems to me that Paul well understood that keeping the law was external - it didn't change a man's heart - but he felt free to join in with those customs so as to be able to share about Jesus Messiah with Jews who had never heard of Him. I believe this is what he's getting at - because as the Jews in Romans 9:31 and 32, they were trying to be counted righteous with God by keeping 'the law' which could not change their hearts. Way back in Deuteronomy, God had complained about the 'stiff-necked' children of Israel and even from then began inviting them to have their hearts circumcised. I think He was telling them something, rather than expecting them to 'have their hearts circumcised' at that time. But again, it is the gospel that we can have a profound change of heart through the circumcision of Jesus Christ. This change of heart (attitude) is what enables us through Christ, to be able to 'keep' 'the law of righteousness'.

Colossians 2:9 For in him dwells all the fulness of the Godhead bodily. 10 And ye are complete in him, which is the head of all principality and power: 11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: 12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with [him] through the faith of the operation of God, who has raised him from the dead.

Christ is the stumblingstone.

Luke 20:18 Whoever shall fall upon that stone shall be broken;
but on whomsoever it shall fall, it will grind him to powder.

1 Peter 2:4 To whom coming, [as unto] a living stone, disallowed indeed of men,

but chosen of God, [and] precious,

5 Ye also, as lively stones, are built up a spiritual house, an holy priesthood, to offer up spiritual sacrifices,

acceptable to God by Jesus Christ.

6 Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious:

and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.

7 Unto you therefore which believe [he is] precious: but unto them which be disobedient,

the stone which the builders disallowed, the same is made the head of the corner,

8 And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, [even to them] which stumble at the word,

being disobedient... '

Hi dragonfly,

Just a quick note as it's bedtime here, but I have found your references to scriptures showing a lack of spiritual understanding. Can I suggest posts with not so many points so that individual issues can be discussed a bit more thoroughly. Hopefully this will make for shorter posts as well.

BTW, a Christian's body is dead because of sin (Rom 8:10). Your suggestion that I might be the legalist claiming that I believe ' perfection is attained by what 'we' 'do' 'in the flesh' is inconsistent with my belief that the body is dead.

And remember....shorter posts...please :)

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi haz,

Feel free to take your time, to answer my post piecemeal so we can discuss fully, your difficulties with each scripture I brought forward.

Hope you slept well.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi dragonfly,

Just a quick note as it's bedtime here, but I have found your references to scriptures showing a lack of spiritual understanding. Can I suggest posts with not so many points so that individual issues can be discussed a bit more thoroughly. Hopefully this will make for shorter posts as well.

BTW, a Christian's body is dead because of sin (Rom 8:10). Your suggestion that I might be the legalist claiming that I believe ' perfection is attained by what 'we' 'do' 'in the flesh' is inconsistent with my belief that the body is dead.

And remember....shorter posts...please :)
Perfection is attained through what God does in His continuing working. It is not God's fault that He is perfect. He then becomes OUR perfection as we learn to walk in Him.
If the body is dead because of sin does that mean it would have to be resurrected to sin again???

God created our bodies...He knows every single cell of it and even the hairs on our head are numbered. But you disbelieve the power of God to be able to transform these bodies into a temple of holiness? Is Adam greater than Jesus Christ? I don't think this level of unbelief was experienced in the early church.

dragonfly

Apr 19, 2012
UK
Hi haz,

is inconsistent with my belief that the body is dead.

And so also is your claim that the body is dead, for if it is, you wouldn't be able to sit typing at a keyboard. You wouldn't have a cold and you wouldn't need to do back exercises. It's time to get real with the fact of the mortal part of your existence, brother. Luke 24:41, 42.

pop2.gif

I am waiting to find out if other posters find my use of scripture inconsistent with what the Holy Spirit has shown them.

I'm more than happy to be led into greater truth by those who really have it. And your saying you disagree is absolutely fine in this kind of discussion forum. But, if anyone is going to change, it is you and I. God has set the rules. We either play by them, or we die.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Great points, Episkopos and dragonfly,

Paul distinguishes between our Body and our Spirit and that we should glorify GOD in BOTH.
1Co 6:20 For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

Since we are bought with a price (Jesus Christ) our bodies are for the Lord. Our bodies are not for sin but for the Lord.

1Co 6:13b ...Now the body is not for fornication (sin), but for the Lord; and the Lord for the body. (and the Lord for our Body/Temple)

Shall we then join our bodies to a harlot (physical or spiritual)? Remember 1 Cor 6:20, we are to glorify God in both our spirit and body.
1Co 6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid.

1Co 6:16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.
1Co 6:17 But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit.
1Co 6:18 Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
1Co 6:19 What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

Rom 6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body, that ye should obey it in the lusts thereof.
So, if we are not to let sin reign in our mortal body, what and WHO will be reigning instead. What is to replace sin?

Axehead

JohnnyB

Aug 8, 2012
West coast, USA
Amen to all these posts!

We can only serve one master, yet there are many who continue to try and serve both, which according to the Bible is impossible! We serve one or the other.

If we could somehow stop trying to balance our lives the world's way with God's way, trying to fit them together, which is impossible, and instead delve into God's way. Seeking His Kingom and His righteousness first, to seek His face with all of our hearts, minds, and souls, begin to live Holy and righteous lives, the impact this would have on the Church would be something to see.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Amen to all these posts!

We can only serve one master, yet there are many who continue to try and serve both, which according to the Bible is impossible! We serve one or the other.

If we could somehow stop trying to balance our lives the world's way with God's way, trying to fit them together, which is impossible, and instead delve into God's way. Seeking His Kingom and His righteousness first, to seek His face with all of our hearts, minds, and souls, begin to live Holy and righteous lives, the impact this would have on the Church would be something to see.

Totally agree! :)

us2are1

Son Of Man
Sep 14, 2011
Hi Son of Man,

Why would you think I speak of continuning in sin? You misunderstand.

Whilst I agree with whistone that God makes changes in us, I differ with his gospel that without a perfect lifestyle one is not abiding in Christ and faces death for sin.

Noting whitestone's imperfect behavior on this forum I wonder what his standing is now.

The gospel you and your friends follow is ( to use another bloggers words to Epi) an 'on-again-off-again salvation'.
Whistone claimed he lives a perfect life, but then he behaved badly on this forum thus losing his standing in Christ.
This is a complicated gospel conditional on whether one is living a perfect lifestyle continually.

And who was the judge of this that you claim. I know of no sin claims against me yet i do not boast in this but in Christ that has given me His Spirit and strength to live a perfect Life in Him.

Nothing that I knew and Nothing that I do outside of Christ who has given Himself.

Randall

May 19, 2017
pinnacle
Faith
Country
United States
The bible tells us to rightly divide the word of truth, what I find here is a mixture of truth an inter mingling of truth. Truth must be in it's proper order. a through study in each of these components will bring you to the conclusion that all are a part of Gods plan of salvation It appears each of you have elements of truth in your statements but fail to include them as a package Grace,Faith,Works because of Grace,