graven images

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Annabelle

Dec 25, 2013
Is crucifix on a necklace a graven image?
Im really stuck on this... some say it is and some say it isn't... can someone please share some light on this for me. Which is true?

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Most of the time the OT mentions "molten images" .... as in metals cast into idols etc.

And bowing down to worship them is the real issue (the way I read it anyway)

(Personally) I do not feel a crucifix worn around the neck is an idol or a graven image of something in heaven. It is a man made trinket identified with Christ , it is not an idol representing a false God

Yet I confess to having great concern when I see people who kneel and worship at large crucifix statues , or statues of Virgin Mary etc ... it looks like idolatry to me , and has the appearance of a graven image cast in metal or plaster or whatever.

I have been in churches where there is a large cross at the front of the room and I have kneeled there to pray without any concerns ... If I felt it was wrong my only option would be to turn my back to the cross to pray , but that seems even more wrong

I think idolatry has to exist in the persons mind before it truly is idolatry

Some sects like the Amish and Hutterites take it much farther and feel even a photograph of themselves is a graven image

Sounds silly at first , but then we see some dictatorships in the world where the dictator has his picture plastered all over the country and the loyal followers bow down and give homage to it (the picture)

Just some thought from me

Best wishes

day

Aug 2, 2012
Idaho, USA
Jesus told us to remember him with the Eucharist, not jewelry. I agree with Arnie that it is not intended to be an idol. The problem I have is that it causes the story of Jesus to end at the crucifixion. There is no indication of the Resurrection and as Paul said - if Jesus be no raised from the dead, our faith is in vain and we are to be pitied. (1 Cor 15:14-19). I think it is best to avoid religious themed jewelry.

Dodo_David

Melmacian in human guise
Jul 13, 2013
Wearing a crucifix is supposed to be a way for a person to proclaim belief in the death, burial and resurrection of Messiah Jesus.

When worn for the appropriate reason, I see no problem with it.

Arnie Manitoba

Mar 8, 2011
Manitoba Canada
What bothers me most of all are the people who are seen on TV etc who live lives of crime or complete debauchery .... yet wear a very visible crucifix around their neck. I think it is disrespectful.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
all good things can be used for evil purposes - that is the definition of evil - a corruption of good. claiming that the crucifix is evil because it can be misused is a claim against the person abusing it, not the crucifix.