Great Awakening

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

hornj

Oct 19, 2012
The Great Awakening was an amazing period in history. God used men like George Whitefield to transform America and Great Britain with thousands being converted. Learn more about him in these videos:

]
]

What do you guys think of Whitefield and the Great Awakening?

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
The Great Awakening was an amazing period in history. God used men like George Whitefield to transform America and Great Britain with thousands being converted. Learn more about him in these videos:

]
]

What do you guys think of Whitefield and the Great Awakening?

Arguing about which Protestant sola Scriptura church is better is like arguing with the alcoholic about whether whiskey or tequila is better for them. Jesus left us one Church and He left it back then with His apostles and their future successors. No other future man was given this authority only with the exception of His apostles/successors Luke 10:16, Matt. 28:18-20 , John 20:21

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Arguing about which Protestant sola Scriptura church is better is like arguing with the alcoholic about whether whiskey or tequila is better for them. Jesus left us one Church and He left it back then with His apostles and their future successors. No other future man was given this authority only with the exception of His apostles/successors Luke 10:16, Matt. 28:18-20 , John 20:21

Jesus did not "leave" a Church. He is with the Church as it's AUTHORITY and PRESENCE and HEAD.

To your analogy, that would make the RCC the "drug lord" of a world-wide cartel.

Joh_14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Heb_13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Eph_1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

Eph_5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Col_1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

neophyte

Apr 25, 2012
Jesus did not "leave" a Church. He is with the Church as it's AUTHORITY and PRESENCE and HEAD.

To your analogy, that would make the RCC the "drug lord" of a world-wide cartel.

Joh_14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Heb_13:5 Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee.

Eph_1:22 And hath put all things under his feet, and gave him to be the head over all things to the church,

Eph_5:23 For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.
Col_1:18 And he is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he might have the preeminence.

Axehead, you can not change the Words of God, He said: "my church " in Matt.16; 15-19 , When that was penned this was also penned Matt. 18: 15-18 take note "....tell it to the church"----which church ? Let me help you.---- He was speaking about His apostle based Church Luke 10:16 Jesus was saying that if someone [ you protestors/ Protestants, Muslims , Buddhists, Jewish, Mormons, JW's etc] .ignore , reject or blaspheme . aginst His Church , would undoubtedly be the height of stupidity and foolishness.

Axehead

May 9, 2012
Axehead, you can not change the Words of God, He said: "my church " in Matt.16; 15-19 , When that was penned this was also penned Matt. 18: 15-18 take note "....tell it to the church"----which church ? Let me help you.---- He was speaking about His apostle based Church Luke 10:16 Jesus was saying that if someone [ you protestors/ Protestants, Muslims , Buddhists, Jewish, Mormons, JW's etc] .ignore , reject or blaspheme . aginst His Church , would undoubtedly be the height of stupidity and foolishness.

I agree, Jesus did say, "My Church". And that is still the case, today.

mjrhealth

Mar 15, 2009
Australia
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
How will the religious ever understand,

Joh_4:24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

1Co_2:12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

Christ is building His church, it is not run nor led by men, He gave us the Holy Spirit, but the world cannot receive Him.

Joh_14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.

One day the Veil will be lifted and all will see the truth, til then men will stumble around blindly following the blind, it is their choice.

In all His Love

epostle1

Sep 24, 2012
Essex
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The First Great Awakening began in the 1730s and lasted to about 1740's. Ministers from various evangelical Protestant denominations supported the Great Awakening.[sup][1][/sup] This is the one Newbie is talking about.

The Second Great Awakening was a religious revival that occurred in the United States beginning in the late eighteenth century and lasted until the middle of the nineteenth century.

The Third Great Awakening in 1850-1910 was characterized by new denominations, very active missionary work, and also the Social Gospel approach to social issues.[sup][4][/sup]
source

[sup]On another site, more information about the third great awakening is found here[/sup]

[sup]If these awakenings are so great, why are they all internalized from one nation?[/sup]

[sup]Emotionalism makes for thin soil for the seeds of the Gospel to take root. This is a problem for evangelicalism that gets the big numbers. Without a supporting structure[/sup] people get carried out by the same emotionalism that carried them in.

There was some lasting fruit from these awakenings, but not that much.
There is no consensus on whether a fourth awakening has actually taken place.

However...

If Catholics could get together with evangelicals and learn from them, and if evangelicals got together with Catholics and learned from them, and if both followed up to the teachings of Ut Unum Sint and The New Evangelization, we would have a world wide awakening the world has never seen.

It won't be by anyone's efforts, but by cooperating with God's grace. If God wants a global Fourth Great Awakening , then there is nothing anybody can do to stop it.

martinlawrencescott

Servant Prince
Apr 6, 2011
Ventura, California
There are just as many Christians in churches as there are outside churches. They still encompass the church, as identified by the same spirit living inside all of us. Though there are many parts of the body, we share the same lifeblood, that is Christ's spirit whom runs much thicker than blood, who is the Holy Spirit. That's not to say people should be outside churches. People should definitely go to or stay away from certain churches. It's more of an obedience thing. Many Christians are shipwrecked, even within different churches, that doesn't mean they aren't part of the same body. Some parts seem to have fallen asleep. We could use another Great Awakening.