Has Jesus come in the spirit?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not saying that you're right or wrong, but consider this. Jesus the comforter returned on the Day of PENTECOST in "Spirit". but remember he is to appear only twice. the first time in the form of sinful flesh, (see Luke 2:25). this is the first apperance of the comforter, now this, Hebrews 9:28 "So Christ was once offered to bear the sins of many; and unto them that look for him shall he appear the second time without sin unto salvation.
ok, this is the like manner as he appeared on the mountian top. because on the day of Pentecost he "MANIFESTED", not "Appeared", but manifested in the Spiritual Gifts. which fulfilled, Matthew 16:28 "Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom". ok, this is the "I come quickly, ... maybe?" if what you're refering to, (I don't believe so). but the like manner in flesh is yet to happen when "EVERY EYE" will see him, even those who pierced him. this want happen unto he returns in his body in "APPERANCE".

maybe you can agree to that? maybe or maybe not. for some standing there at that time, "audience relevance", did witness the Lord return in Spirit on the day of Pentecost.

PICJAG.
No, not exactly. But you have named the right verses: Indeed, "every eye" and "some standing here" tells us that this can only happen in the omni-presence of God, in spirit. God is spirit.

The two occurrences are one event. Which if one were to look to the scriptures for a quote of when it is to occur, is "in the end", or "the last day." Think about that. If "some standing" there at the time of Christ, come together in one event with "every eye" having lived and died at different times all throughout the history of the world...then, as Paul revealed, "each comes in his own order"--but together, across the threshold of time and eternity.

This is "the mystery of God [finished], as He declared to His servants the prophets."

Reactions: amadeus

101G

Jul 20, 2012
Mobile, Al.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No, not exactly. But you have named the right verses: Indeed, "every eye" and "some standing here" tells us that this can only happen in the omni-presence of God, in spirit. God is spirit.

The two occurrences are one event. Which if one were to look to the scriptures for a quote of when it is to occur, is "in the end", or "the last day." Think about that. If "some standing" there at the time of Christ, come together in one event with "every eye" having lived and died at different times all throughout the history of the world...then, as Paul revealed, "each comes in his own order"--but together, across the threshold of time and eternity.

This is "the mystery of God [finished], as He declared to His servants the prophets."
first thanks for the reply, second yes, God is a Spirit that Glorified in a body. but those standing there was the evend of his coming in Spirit, which every eye did not see. because on the day of Pentecost was a manifestation of Gifts, which are NOT "SEEN". but the every eye is yet to come at his "second" APPERANCE. not in Spirit, but in a body, the one he left with. John 14:1 "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
John 14:2 "In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
John 14:3 "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also".

when he said, "I will come again", the only time that the Lord Jesus left the earth was on the mountian top in Acts 1. and the disciples saw him. Acts 1:10 "And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
Acts 1:11 "Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
if they saw him go up into heaven then they shall "SEE" him return in like manner.

for the coming of the Lord on Pentecost is not the same coming as he left in according to Acts 1. these are two different coming.

this we agree as we have said a many of times. the Lord Jesus return is TWO FOLD. the first return was in Spirit, (on the day of Pentecost). the return to come no man knows but the Father, which is yet to happen, when "every eye" shall see him.

so we believe the coming of the Lord Jesus is two fold, first in Spirit, then in Body, yet to come.

PICJAG

PS, the knock on the door of our hearts was accomplish by the Spirit, when Peter said this in Acts 2:37 "Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:39 "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Acts 2:40 "And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

save yourselves?, how, recieve the knock on the door of your heart by God the Spirit!.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
first thanks for the reply, second yes, God is a Spirit that Glorified in a body. but those standing there was the evend of his coming in Spirit, which every eye did not see. because on the day of Pentecost was a manifestation of Gifts, which are NOT "SEEN". but the every eye is yet to come at his "second" APPERANCE. not in Spirit, but in a body, the one he left with. John 14:1 "Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
John 14:2 "In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
John 14:3 "And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also".

when he said, "I will come again", the only time that the Lord Jesus left the earth was on the mountian top in Acts 1. and the disciples saw him. Acts 1:10 "And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
Acts 1:11 "Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
if they saw him go up into heaven then they shall "SEE" him return in like manner.

for the coming of the Lord on Pentecost is not the same coming as he left in according to Acts 1. these are two different coming.

this we agree as we have said a many of times. the Lord Jesus return is TWO FOLD. the first return was in Spirit, (on the day of Pentecost). the return to come no man knows but the Father, which is yet to happen, when "every eye" shall see him.

so we believe the coming of the Lord Jesus is two fold, first in Spirit, then in Body, yet to come.

PICJAG

PS, the knock on the door of our hearts was accomplish by the Spirit, when Peter said this in Acts 2:37 "Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
Acts 2:38 "Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
Acts 2:39 "For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the Lord our God shall call.
Acts 2:40 "And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.

save yourselves?, how, recieve the knock on the door of your heart by God the Spirit!.
Again, you have the correct passages, but the wrong perspective.

What was seen, that "like manner", was only seen as men see. But all they saw was not all that occurred. They saw "through a glass dimly"...but when "every eye sees", "...then face to face"...which men did not see at the ascension of Christ.

And as you quoted, He comes not to stay, but "that where I am, there ye may be also." Which means when He comes, He comes not in bodily form, but "in clouds", which is in spirit. And He comes "when no man knows", but when He "knocks" and those who "know His voice" "open the door", which is to say, personally, "each in his own order."

As for that "untoward generation", they were on the cusp, where indeed, "some standing there" would experience things as the former, and some as the latter. Peter encouraged them to "enter in" and take part with "the last who would be first." But what happened at Pentecost was not all, but just the beginning.

Last edited:

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

PICJAG

Many mansions?
I’ve got to post this again because it directly relates to the scripture you’ve used

Psalms 19 states he’s set a tabernacle within.

John 14:23 KJV
[23] Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.

Tecarta BibleAnd also the kingdom doesn’t come with observation.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, you have the correct passages, but the wrong perspective.

What was seen, that "like manner", was only seen as men see. But all they saw was not all that occurred. They saw "through a glass dimly"...but when "every eye sees", "...then face to face"...which men did not see at the ascension of Christ.

And as you quoted, He comes not to stay, but "that where I am, there ye may be also." Which means when He comes, He comes not in bodily form, but "in clouds", which is in spirit. And He comes "when no man knows", but when He "knocks" and those who "know His voice" "open the door", which is to say, personally, "each in his own order."

As for that "untoward generation", they were on the cusp, where indeed, "some standing there" would experience things as the former, and some as the latter. Peter encouraged them to "enter in" and take part with "the last who would be first." But what happened at Pentecost was not all, but just the beginning.
The clouds are his witnesses.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Exodus 13:21
"And the Lord went before them by day in a pillar of cloud to lead the way, and by night in a pillar of fire to give them light, so as to go by day and night."
Back to psalm 19 the bridegroom comes out rejoicing as a strong man to run a race, interesting Paul says IVE ran the race?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
(Although I don't buy the argument that so called tongues are initial evidence of faith.)

I wouldn't call it an argument; it is really more of a statement, that might be backed up by arguments or else refuted by them.

...The scriptures simply do not say that Jesus returns in a future one-time mass event -- people do.

Act 1:9, And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
Act 1:10, And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
Act 1:11, Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.

Brings me to the question: Who is the Spirit?

2Co 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

1Co 12:3, Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and that no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

That is why the Bible tells us Jesus is God, but he is never called the Father.

[Eph 4:5 KJV] 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

[1Co 12:3 KJV] 3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and [that] no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

[2Co 6:17-18 KJV] 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you, 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

[Mal 2:10 KJV] 10 Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?

So it shows Jesus and the Father are not the same living soul/person with the same mind, as Jesus does not know what the Father is thinking or his plans, only what the Father has told him.

The Father is Spirit, and Jesus, the Son, is confined to a finite human body. In His humanity, he does not know what the Father knows, who inhabiteth eternity (Isaiah 57:15).

But it should be clear that the Father is the Spirit of Jesus Christ, from the following passages:

[Jhn 4:23-24 KJV] 23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.

[Jhn 14:7-11 KJV] 7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him. 8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. 9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou [then], Shew us the Father? 10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. 11 Believe me that I [am] in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

So I would say that there is perhaps a disconnect between what we know in our spirit and what we know in our minds.

Jesus knew in His Spirit when He would return; but as the Son, dwelling in a finite human body, in His mind He did not know the day or hour. Because the Father is infinite and knows all things; but the Son, has an added nature of humanity, having emptied Himself of certain attributes of Deity in order to take on finite human form. He is nevertheless still the Father; as it is written that the zeal of the LORD of hosts shall perform this; that His name shall be called among other things the everlasting Father. Isaiah 9:6-7.

Last edited:

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
t 1:9, And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.
Act 1:10, And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel;
Act 1:11, Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven.
There is nothing in there about "Jesus returning in a future one-time mass event."

Bobby Jo

Feb 5, 2019
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
-- PLEASE, somebody fall for the nonsense proposed by @ScottA, so that he'll think he's FOOLED SOMEONE. --

Then maybe we can discuss something relevant to TRUTH of GOD, JESUS, the HOLY SPIRIT, and/or SCRIPTURE and History.
Bobby Jo

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
1) No mention of a 2nd physical advent there.

2) That 'at-a-boy does not supersede Christ [the Word's] declaration that His words "are spirit."

3a) Peter referred to the times of the gentiles coming first before their refreshing because Israel did not receive Christ. Jesus foretold it, saying, "the first (Israel) shall be last, and the last first."

3b) What Stephen and Paul said is true, but not as you have presented it. They are true rather, because the kingdom of God had come upon men when Christ first came. Matthew 12:28 And although Jesus went to the Father, He did not lie in saying, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.

His "appearing" is another matter, which Paul defines as, "each in his own order" in accordance with "the first (Israel) shall be last, and the last first."

4) You are adding your speculation and your own understanding as if it were fact. Its not, nor is it true.
Hello @ScottA,

I stand by the content of my post #36

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Reactions: Bobby Jo

Mal'ak

Jan 15, 2019
Cedar City
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
[Eph 4:5 KJV] 5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

[1Co 12:3 KJV] 3 Wherefore I give you to understand, that no man speaking by the Spirit of God calleth Jesus accursed: and [that] no man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost.

[2Co 6:17-18 KJV] 17 Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean [thing]; and I will receive you, 18 And will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters, saith the Lord Almighty.

[Mal 2:10 KJV] 10 Have we not all one father? hath not one God created us? why do we deal treacherously every man against his brother, by profaning the covenant of our fathers?

Ephesians 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
Ephesians 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
Ephesians 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Common method to push a tradition of man, is to pick a verse out of context and say "this one sentence is the embodiment of God's Word!". No, if you read the context of Ephesians; verse 4 says "one body" which is the spiritual church, "one Spirit" which is the Holy Spirit, "One Lord" which is Jesus Christ, "one faith" which is Christianity, "one baptism" which is the baptism to be reborn Christians, AND "ONE GOD AND FATHER OF ALL". As you can see...Holy Spirit is separated from Jesus, and Jesus is named and separated from the Father and Holy Spirit.

Mark 3:22 And the scribes which came down from Jerusalem said, He hath Beelzebub, and by the prince of the devils casteth he out devils.
Mark 3:23 And he called them unto him, and said unto them in parables, How can Satan cast out Satan?
Mark 3:24 And if a kingdom be divided against itself, that kingdom cannot stand.

To be honest, your 1Co 12:3 verse does not even make sense how Jesus is the Holy Spirit, but to explain the meaning we can use Jesus' words. When Jesus was casting out devils, the jewish leaders accused him of being satan casting out devils, and Jesus replied that satan can not work against evil or he would defeat himself. Same is true with the Holy Spirit, you can not be filled with the Holy Spirit doing holy works and at the same time speaking against Jesus, because the Holy Spirit would never direct you to speak against the Son of God. Not that the Holy Spirit is Jesus, but working together with Jesus for the common cause.

2 Corinthians 6:15 And what concord hath Christ with Belial? or what part hath he that believeth with an infidel?
2 Corinthians 6:116 And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people.

Again, taking scripture out of context, in verse 15 Paul regards Christ in his teaching of the separation of evil, then in verse 16 "AND what agreement hath the temple of God with idols....I will be their God, and they shall be my people". Paul is separating Jesus from the Father, and not every time the scripture says "Lord" does it mean Jesus. Lord is a title, like master, comes from the Greek/G2962 word "kyrios", which means " supreme in authority, i.e. (as noun) controller; by implication, Master (as a respectful title)".

Mal 2:10 goes without saying, there is one Father, he created all things. He just empowered his Word to create all things for him, and the Word being Jesus, but not the Father.

The Father is Spirit, and Jesus, the Son, is confined to a finite human body. In His humanity, he does not know what the Father knows, who inhabiteth eternity (Isaiah 57:15).

But it should be clear that the Father is the Spirit of Jesus Christ, from the following passages:

[Jhn 4:23-24 KJV] 23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God [is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship [him] in spirit and in truth.

[Jhn 14:7-11 KJV] 7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him. 8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us. 9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou [then], Shew us the Father? 10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works. 11 Believe me that I [am] in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.

Matthew 12:18 Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles.

1 Thessalonians 5:23 And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The problem that happens when Christians do not research the scripture, and are just seeking to fulfill their traditions of man, is that they do not get any meat of the Word. The spirit and the soul are two different things, but both are part of your spiritual body just explaining two different aspects of your or God's spiritual body. "spirit" comes from "pneuma/G4151", which means "rational soul, mental disposition, mind". Your spirit and God's spirit is his "mind" or thoughts, emotions, essence of who he is. Which is why he is called the "Holy Ghost", because he has no body, and is just the mind of the Father that enters us. While "soul" comes from "zōē/G2222", which means "life, the state of one who is possessed of vitality or is animate". Your soul and God's soul is his spiritual body, the "image" as explained in Genesis when God said "let us make man in our image", or the "likeness of a man", when an angel would come to humans in their spiritual body.

Matthew 11:27 All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

Ephesians 2:8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.

The John 14 scripture taken out of context, if we look into these verses, there is a little study/lesson. In Matthew 11:27 Jesus tells us that all Christians knows Jesus because they are "delivered" to him by the Father, and no one can know the Father except Jesus "reveal" the Father to them. In Ephesians 2:8 we see faith is a gift from God, which is opening our eyes to the truth, which is Jesus as the Word of God. Then in John 14:6 we learn that no one can go to the Father but by Jesus, because he is the truth. Basically God opens our eyes to being able to learn the truth, and by learning the truth we are able to know who the Father is and what he wants from us. That does not mean Jesus is the Father, only that there are steps we need to take to know the Father and only with Jesus as the Word of God can we learn those steps.

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Let me put it this way:

There is one Spirit (Ephesians 4:4); the Father (John 4:23-24, Ephesians 4:6), the Son (Colossians 1:27, 1 John 5:12) and the Holy Ghost (John 7:37-39, 2 Timothy 1:14)

There is one Lord (Ephesians 4:5, 1 Corinthians 8:6); the Father (Matthew 11:25, Luke 10:21), the Son (1 Corinthians 8:6, 1 Corinthians 12:3), and the Holy Ghost (2 Corinthians 3:17).

There is one God (Ephesians 4:6), the Father (Ephesians 4:6, James 3:9, Romans 15:6), the Son (Hebrews 1:8-9), and the Holy Ghost (Acts 5:3-4).

This does not amount to there being nine members in the Trinity.

I give you this teaching in obedience to the following:

Tit 2:1, But speak thou the things which become sound doctrine:

So now, read Ephesians 4:4-6, 1 Corinthians 12:4-6, in light of the information that I have given you above.

prism

Blood-Soaked
Jan 24, 2011
So. Cal
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This thread is full of heresy, especially from those trying to deny a literal, physical 2nd Coming of Jesus. And I won't waste my time arguing with the blatant heretics except to state this...

Revelation 1:7 (KJV) Behold, he cometh with clouds; and every eye shall see him, and they also which pierced him: and all kindreds of the earth shall wail because of him. Even so, Amen.