Have You Ever Read The Entire Bible ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
I try to make time everyday to read the Bible. Not always successful at that, but I don't let too many days get by me without checking in with God. Currently reading from cover to cover, and am in the middle of Psalms. I've read the New testament and Old Testament separately, but this will be the first time reading all the way through both without stopping. I'm doing the 6 chapters a day, for a year.

I won't claim to know why anyone else doesn't, but I know why I didn't.

My past personal experience is that I convinced myself I was too "busy" to sit and read it. It honestly just wasn't appealing when I could watch tv, go online or go out somewhere. It was a chore to be completed, and was reflective of where I was at in my relationship with God.

It adds to the point, that it's not by our own doing, but the Holy Spirit drawing us to Himself. Where before it was a bunch of text I needed to know to get to Heaven, now it is the revealing Word of God that I live by and enjoy.

It helps to just separate yourself from the technology and distractions of the world for a portion of the day and get into the habit of reading.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
I try to make time everyday to read the Bible. Not always successful at that, but I don't let too many days get by me without checking in with God. Currently reading from cover to cover, and am in the middle of Psalms. I've read the New testament and Old Testament separately, but this will be the first time reading all the way through both without stopping. I'm doing the 6 chapters a day, for a year.

I won't claim to know why anyone else doesn't, but I know why I didn't.

My past personal experience is that I convinced myself I was too "busy" to sit and read it. It honestly just wasn't appealing when I could watch tv, go online or go out somewhere. It was a chore to be completed, and was reflective of where I was at in my relationship with God.

It adds to the point, that it's not by our own doing, but the Holy Spirit drawing us to Himself. Where before it was a bunch of text I needed to know to get to Heaven, now it is the revealing Word of God that I live by and enjoy.

It helps to just separate yourself from the technology and distractions of the world for a portion of the day and get into the habit of reading.
Redeemed86, I so loved your post.. I've not read the whole Bible yet either and for the same reasons that you shared above. .I always love reading what you have to say. God Bless

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I am fairly sure that I have read the whole bible minus a few chapters here and there in 50 years of bible reading, but I have wanted to cover all the missing places, so I received two One Year Chronological Bibles for my birthday in 2011, and I think that was the Lord telling me something! So, I am into that, and enjoying daily reading of God's word chronologically, and so it will be read---all the texts I have missed in my life, read and digested, meditated upon and prayed through at least once before I meet my Maker!

This is going to be a good year! Thank you, Jesus!

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
God left us His Holy Word and yet many of us have not read it in it's entirety...why is that?

I have read and studied it verse by verse, chapter by chapter a number of times, including in the Biblical languages. I expect that is true of a number of members here of the forum.

Comm.Arnold

Apr 7, 2011
I have and it was very much worth the read. Some parts are left out in modern christianity and some people consider them violent and obsolete. I don't but not everyone likes hearing about an angel killing 100,000 men in an afternoon.... Bunch of softies in my opinion.

biggandyy

I am here to help...
Oct 11, 2011
SWPA
I have read it cover to cover now 4 times in the last 5 years and meditated and studied on countless passages and vingnettes. Yet when I go to service the pastor there never ceases to amaze me with a new insight or take on something I had just poured hours of thought and research into! Like this for instance:

Satan wants you to have joy in your life, too.

But not the joy of Christ. Satan wants you to find joy in everything else BUT Christ. Satan isn't this horned, green puke spewing demon fromo the 11th level of the ugly store. Why is sin so tempting? Because Satan can wrap it in a beautiful packaging, sell it for the joy it does legitimately offer, but then ever so subtly attempt to fit that joy into the place in our heart where the Joy of Christ rightfully belongs.

Reactions: Redeemed86

veteran

Aug 6, 2010
Southeast USA
Doesn't matter how much of God's Word a believer reads IF they don't study It God's Way, asking His Guidance by The Holy Spirit. Does anyone remember where's it's written on how He said to do it?

It's one of the reasons why I highly recommend the KJV study Bible put together by E.W. Bullinger in the 1800's called The Companion Bible. It will slow you down if you cover his margin notes on history, expressions, and links to other relevant Scripture. And I recommend it even though Bullinger held to some theological doctrines I totally disagree with.

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
It is so true that reading the Bible just for the sake of reading it, does not produce in us all of the revelation knowledge that God would have us to see and walk in. Just one verse of scripture holds within itself many, many different facets and viewpoints, so that reading the Bible through just one time means that we've only scratched the surface. There are so many riches yet to be revealed to us.I would suppose that the number one reason why many of us don't read, study, and meditate on the Word like we ought to is a lack of discipline.

tomwebster

Dec 11, 2006
It is so true that reading the Bible just for the sake of reading it, does not produce in us all of the revelation knowledge that God would have us to see and walk in. Just one verse of scripture holds within itself many, many different facets and viewpoints, so that reading the Bible through just one time means that we've only scratched the surface. There are so many riches yet to be revealed to us.I would suppose that the number one reason why many of us don't read, study, and meditate on the Word like we ought to is a lack of discipline.

If you have not read Scripture in it's entirety ("yet many of us have not read it in it's entirety") how would you know. Read it cover to cover and find out.