Why is the book of Revelation so hard to read and understand?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Writer

Jan 18, 2024
Post Falls
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The inscriptions in the book of Revelation must be referrenced in accordance with other scriptures throughout the bible in order to provide closure or fullness to all scriptures so that we will understand that when the "end of the age" occures, the second coming, it will complete the work that God started from the beginning in order to establish Gods righteous judgment and usher in the "TRUE" New World Order ruled by Christ Jesus who paid the price for our sake and by His grace to bring us from eternal death and damnation to resurrected life...eternal life and to see the challenges God faced and overcame by wisdom, that we could worship Him night and day eternally.

What I mean by referrencing, is to take what is contained in the seven seals, for example, and take each seal and referrence it against other scriptures that reveal them and then referrence the time of that occurance. You will discover that the signs of the moon and sun changing their countenance actually occur at the six bowl and trumpet. The same point of time as Armageddon. This removes all confussion of when do all these angels with bowls and trumpets occur.

Again, if you read Rev 4, the four horsemen, and read the devistation they unleash, it makes you wonder the referrence of time of occurance, and yet, if you understand, by previous referrencing, those events occured, you will begin to put the pieces together and ultimately see a time line of events occuring much more clearly. The book of Revelation does not always give us a perfect time line of when things happen, and that is what confuses many, many people.

Even when we read what we think is the perfect time line of events, and then discover inconsistancies, like In The Beginning, and then read Job, and God says "where were you when I laid the foundation of the world" but yet, no foundation of the world is established in the first 6 days of creation. It isn't documented, so when did that occure if not in the first 6 days? This kind of thing occures throught the scriptures, but it is really previlant in the Bood of Revelation.

I encourage you to write the things that confuse you in the bible, just referrence it somewhere, and then take a closure look at the reference points, you'll be very surprise what the bible itself will reveal to you. For me, the bible is the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and if you ask Him, He will reveal it to you. Take my word for it. I don't reference in the forum because discovering it for yourself is what revelation is all about. It's how Abraham did it and it worked for him, and God called Abraham His friend. It will work for you.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The inscriptions in the book of Revelation must be referrenced in accordance with other scriptures throughout the bible in order to provide closure or fullness to all scriptures so that we will understand that when the "end of the age" occures, the second coming, it will complete the work that God started from the beginning in order to establish Gods righteous judgment and usher in the "TRUE" New World Order ruled by Christ Jesus who paid the price for our sake and by His grace to bring us from eternal death and damnation to resurrected life...eternal life and to see the challenges God faced and overcame by wisdom, that we could worship Him night and day eternally.

What I mean by referrencing, is to take what is contained in the seven seals, for example, and take each seal and referrence it against other scriptures that reveal them and then referrence the time of that occurance. You will discover that the signs of the moon and sun changing their countenance actually occur at the six bowl and trumpet. The same point of time as Armageddon. This removes all confussion of when do all these angels with bowls and trumpets occur.

Again, if you read Rev 4, the four horsemen, and read the devistation they unleash, it makes you wonder the referrence of time of occurance, and yet, if you understand, by previous referrencing, those events occured, you will begin to put the pieces together and ultimately see a time line of events occuring much more clearly. The book of Revelation does not always give us a perfect time line of when things happen, and that is what confuses many, many people.

Even when we read what we think is the perfect time line of events, and then discover inconsistancies, like In The Beginning, and then read Job, and God says "where were you when I laid the foundation of the world" but yet, no foundation of the world is established in the first 6 days of creation. It isn't documented, so when did that occure if not in the first 6 days? This kind of thing occures throught the scriptures, but it is really previlant in the Bood of Revelation.

I encourage you to write the things that confuse you in the bible, just referrence it somewhere, and then take a closure look at the reference points, you'll be very surprise what the bible itself will reveal to you. For me, the bible is the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, and if you ask Him, He will reveal it to you. Take my word for it. I don't reference in the forum because discovering it for yourself is what revelation is all about. It's how Abraham did it and it worked for him, and God called Abraham His friend. It will work for you.
It is written in a chiastic structure of history with all the 'sevens' pointing to the end. Once you understand that, its much easier to grasp..

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Some just don't like what God said, so it's "symbolic".

Michiah-Imla

Oct 24, 2020
Northeast USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The book of Revelation is easy to read.

But the events can be difficult to understand in a precise way.

But thank God that I don’t have to understand all of it to be blessed:

“Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for the time is at hand.” (Revelation 1:3, KJV)

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
www.greatmysteryofchrist.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Dear Writer,
The book of Revelation is not only difficult to understand for most believers, it is impossible.

To understand what it teaches, a believer must have a proper foundation of understanding upon which they can build (line upon line, precept upon precept, Isa 28:9-12). Without this foundation of truth, the teachings of the book will remain concealed.

To start with, a believer must be spiritually minded rather than carnally minded when trying to understand scripture.

The Old Covenant is outward and physical and so are its teachings. In contrast, the New Covenant is inward and spiritual. Most believers have no understanding of this truth. They still try to understand the spiritual teachings of Christ in an outward and physical way. This happens because most believers are not converted and are still carnally minded & spiritually blind. In this condition, they try to understand the spiritual teachings of Christ in a carnal way. When they do this, the truth will remain veiled.

The prophecy of the book of Revelation is a spiritual teaching and must be applied inwardly rather than outwardly. The overall message of the prophecy teaches the pathway to salvation that Christ causes His Elect to travel. When an Elect believer is converted, the "ends of the ages" come upon them.

1Cor 10:11 Now all these things happened to them as types, and have been written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come.

Consider what John says about the book:

Rev 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for THE TIME IS AT HAND.

Rev 22:7 Behold, I COME QUICKLY: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

Rev 22:10 And he saith unto me, SEAL NOT the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for THE TIME IS AT HAND.

If the time for the Book of Revelation is still future as most believe, how can anyone, especially those who lived and died over the past 1900 years, ever hope to KEEP THE SAYINGS OF THE PROPHECY?

Was Christ mistaken when He said "I come quickly" and "the time is at hand"? Nineteen hundred years is not “quickly” nor can that length of time mean that the time is “at hand”.

So what does it mean for the time to be at hand?

We don't have to guess. All we have to do is look to scripture and it will give us the answer:

Mat 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Jesus Christ is the Kingdom of Heaven. With His proclamation in Mat 3:2, Christ was announcing that the Kingdom of Heaven had come - that the time was at hand.

The truth is the prophecies of Revelation were fulfilled in the 1st century A.D. even before John received the prophecy and they have continued to be fulfilled over and over again since that time within the life of each of Christ's Elect.

For Christ's Elect, Christ has already come or is presently coming or will come in the future.

Rev 1:4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to COME; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne...

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to COME, the Almighty.

Christ's second coming to His Elect is a reoccurring event. His “coming” will continue until the last chosen person has been saved. Only then will the bodily resurrections occur and this present age will come to an end.

The book of Revelation is not teaching about outward coming world events. The book is teaching on the Pathway to Salvation and salvation is the unveiling of Christ within an individual at their moment of conversion.

Also, the events which were shown to John were presented to him in spiritual symbols.

Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, THEY ARE SPIRIT, and they are life.

These symbols are not describing physical outward events which take place in the world. They are describing spiritual events which happen within a person.

If a person has been chosen by Christ to be a First Fruit of His harvest, Christ will see to it that they keep the sayings of the book and find salvation before they physically die.

Unless a believer applies the teachings of the prophecy in a spiritual way, they will never understand what it teaches.

Joe

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Writer,
The book of Revelation is not only difficult to understand for most believers, it is impossible.

To understand what it teaches, a believer must have a proper foundation of understanding upon which they can build (line upon line, precept upon precept, Isa 28:9-12). Without this foundation of truth, the teachings of the book will remain concealed.

To start with, a believer must be spiritually minded rather than carnally minded when trying to understand scripture.

The Old Covenant is outward and physical and so are its teachings. In contrast, the New Covenant is inward and spiritual. Most believers have no understanding of this truth. They still try to understand the spiritual teachings of Christ in an outward and physical way. This happens because most believers are not converted and are still carnally minded & spiritually blind. In this condition, they try to understand the spiritual teachings of Christ in a carnal way. When they do this, the truth will remain veiled.

The prophecy of the book of Revelation is a spiritual teaching and must be applied inwardly rather than outwardly. The overall message of the prophecy teaches the pathway to salvation that Christ causes His Elect to travel. When an Elect believer is converted, the "ends of the ages" come upon them.

1Cor 10:11 Now all these things happened to them as types, and have been written for our admonition, upon whom the ends of the ages are come.

Consider what John says about the book:

Rev 1:3 Blessed is he that readeth, and they that hear the words of this prophecy, and keep those things which are written therein: for THE TIME IS AT HAND.

Rev 22:7 Behold, I COME QUICKLY: blessed is he that keepeth the sayings of the prophecy of this book.

Rev 22:10 And he saith unto me, SEAL NOT the sayings of the prophecy of this book: for THE TIME IS AT HAND.

If the time for the Book of Revelation is still future as most believe, how can anyone, especially those who lived and died over the past 1900 years, ever hope to KEEP THE SAYINGS OF THE PROPHECY?

Was Christ mistaken when He said "I come quickly" and "the time is at hand"? Nineteen hundred years is not “quickly” nor can that length of time mean that the time is “at hand”.

So what does it mean for the time to be at hand?

We don't have to guess. All we have to do is look to scripture and it will give us the answer:

Mat 3:2 And saying, Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

Jesus Christ is the Kingdom of Heaven. With His proclamation in Mat 3:2, Christ was announcing that the Kingdom of Heaven had come - that the time was at hand.

The truth is the prophecies of Revelation were fulfilled in the 1st century A.D. even before John received the prophecy and they have continued to be fulfilled over and over again since that time within the life of each of Christ's Elect.

For Christ's Elect, Christ has already come or is presently coming or will come in the future.

Rev 1:4 John to the seven churches which are in Asia: Grace be unto you, and peace, from him which is, and which was, and which is to COME; and from the seven Spirits which are before his throne...

Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to COME, the Almighty.

Christ's second coming to His Elect is a reoccurring event. His “coming” will continue until the last chosen person has been saved. Only then will the bodily resurrections occur and this present age will come to an end.

The book of Revelation is not teaching about outward coming world events. The book is teaching on the Pathway to Salvation and salvation is the unveiling of Christ within an individual at their moment of conversion.

Also, the events which were shown to John were presented to him in spiritual symbols.

Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

John 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, THEY ARE SPIRIT, and they are life.

These symbols are not describing physical outward events which take place in the world. They are describing spiritual events which happen within a person.

If a person has been chosen by Christ to be a First Fruit of His harvest, Christ will see to it that they keep the sayings of the book and find salvation before they physically die.

Unless a believer applies the teachings of the prophecy in a spiritual way, they will never understand what it teaches.

Joe
The devil would like people to believe this so they can't see the prophecies being fulfilled, but the name says it all, the 'Revelation' of Jesus Christ ..

Reactions: Brakelite

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The devil would like people to believe this so they can't see the prophecies being fulfilled, but the name says it all, the 'Revelation' of Jesus Christ ..
Dear Hobie,
Christ is concealed from this world and from those who have only been given the Early Rain of the Spirit (called out). Christ only reveals Himself to His Elect at their moment of conversion and that only happens when He comes to them a second time (the second coming). At that time, Christ will pour out the Latter Rain of the Spirit (baptism of the Spirit) upon them and heal their spiritual blindness. Until that day arrives for a person, Christ will remain veiled from their understanding.

Your foundation of truth is false and is carnally based rather than spiritually based. Because of such, you cannot build upon your foundation. Christ is still veiled from your understanding. Like all mankind, we are all at the mercy of Christ to open our eyes and save us.

Joe

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Hobie,
Christ is concealed from this world and from those who have only been given the Early Rain of the Spirit (called out). Christ only reveals Himself to His Elect at their moment of conversion and that only happens when He comes to them a second time (the second coming). At that time, Christ will pour out the Latter Rain of the Spirit (baptism of the Spirit) upon them and heal their spiritual blindness. Until that day arrives for a person, Christ will remain veiled from their understanding.

Your foundation of truth is false and is carnally based rather than spiritually based. Because of such, you cannot build upon your foundation. Christ is still veiled from your understanding. Like all mankind, we are all at the mercy of Christ to open our eyes and save us.

Joe
Not in His Word, and especially this part, He reveals and unveils what involves Him and His people all the way to the end..

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not in His Word, and especially this part, He reveals and unveils what involves Him and His people all the way to the end..
Dear Hobie,
The "end" that scripture teaches occurs spiritually within a person when they are converted. The child of the devil is destroyed and the new child of God is born. At that time, the converted believer goes from dwelling upon the earth to dwelling in the Kingdom of Heaven. If this event doesn't happen to a person before they physically die, they are not one of the Elect.
Joe

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Look at what most do to the 144k Firstfruit Jews.
1) Firstfruit harvest dynamic goes completely over their heads.
2) the fact they are Jews must be reframed for doctrine sake
3) the fact that main harvest Jews FOLLOWS firstfruits in Rev 14:14 must also be changed for doctrine sake.
If they can't get the components straight, then reading their interpretations will never be correct.

Look what they do to John's opening line:
"I was in the spirit on the Lords day..."
Most will "correct" that to say something else.
SMH
Most here can not stand what it is saying. They MUST change it.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Hobie,

Joe
No
The baptism of the Holy Spirit began with the apostles and those in The Upper Room. Then through the laying on of hands we see it many times in the book of Acts. That continued on and personally I experienced it during the charismatic movement in the mid 70s. I have seen it many times since then with people receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit. So all those things you are saying are from inexperience. And so you're trying to doctrinally explain something that is readily available in our modern Christian walk.

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Hobie,
The "end" that scripture teaches occurs spiritually within a person when they are converted. The child of the devil is destroyed and the new child of God is born. At that time, the converted believer goes from dwelling upon the earth to dwelling in the Kingdom of Heaven. If this event doesn't happen to a person before they physically die, they are not one of the Elect.
Joe
no
We dwell upon this earth. We are not home yet.
We are seated in Heavenly places in Christ Jesus and that is positional. But we are here on this Earth where our natural bodies will die or be raptured one of the two. And at death or at the rapture we go to heaven. And so this is confirmed in Paul's writings and other places

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No
The baptism of the Holy Spirit began with the apostles and those in The Upper Room. Then through the laying on of hands we see it many times in the book of Acts. That continued on and personally I experienced it during the charismatic movement in the mid 70s. I have seen it many times since then with people receiving the baptism of the Holy Spirit. So all those things you are saying are from inexperience. And so you're trying to doctrinally explain something that is readily available in our modern Christian walk.
Dear rebuilder 454,
The Early Rain of the Spirit is given to a person to call them out from the world so that they enter the church. The Early Rain will give the person a measure of faith and certain spiritual gifts. The Apostles received the Early Rain during Christ's ministry. People with the Early Rain make up the apostate churches of the world.

If a believer is chosen, Christ will "come again" to them and pour out the Latter Rain. The Latter Rain is what the Apostles received on the Day of Pentecost. With the Latter Rain, the believer will have their spiritual blindness healed and the truth of God's Word will open up them. When that occurs, they will leave the apostate church.

What you have been witnessing is the Early Rain and not the Latter Rain.

Joe

Last edited:

FaithWillDo

Mar 1, 2023
Fort Collins, CO, USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no
We dwell upon this earth. We are not home yet.
We are seated in Heavenly places in Christ Jesus and that is positional. But we are here on this Earth where our natural bodies will die or be raptured one of the two. And at death or at the rapture we go to heaven. And so this is confirmed in Paul's writings and other places
Dear rebuilder 454,
Converted believers do not dwell upon the earth. However, unconverted believers do because they are still carnal and spiritually blind.

Joe

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

It is hard to understand because men over the centuries have reinterpreted it and spiritualized and so we now have many competing "understandings".

It is difficult in that one has to look at other Scriptures to define all the apocryphal symbols found in revelation, but once that is done, it is pretty straightforward!

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear rebuilder 454,
Converted believers do not dwell upon the earth. However, unconverted believers do because they are still carnal and spiritually blind.

Joe
Not according to the bible

Nor are you without an earthly body.

It is the law of the 2.
"If two on Earth shall agree as to touching anything it shall be done. "
Jesus is both a lion and a lamb he's not one or the other he is both.
We are both seated in Heavenly places in Christ Jesus, but also ,as Paul depicted many many times , we dwell on this Earth.
this is not our home ,but we are here until we die or we are raptured.
You're trying to make it "either/ or " ,when it is actually both
It is "the law of the two" meaning two truths in one dynamic.

A convert is one that has been born again.
Now there are several classes of convert
there are the carnal ones ,as you say ,and there are also babes in Christ that are just little toddlers .
they've not matured they're still rough around the edges and we disciple them and we Mentor them into maturity .
which is another level which would be the mature saint or the elders.
At the day of Pentecost there was the baptism of the Holy Spirit which also continued to be outboard upon Believers that were saved by the laying on of hands. ... Continuing Right on into today
And so I don't know if you've ever received the baptism of the Holy Spirit, but that would be the game changer for the saint that's walking in a mental or carnal type of walk.
they're not walking in the spirit, and everything is mental to them.
And so then you have those that are baptized in the Holy Spirit ,and they are Spirit dominated. These that are baptized in the Holy Spirit they speak in tongues they lay hands on the sick they raise the Dead and the ones that are carnal they sit on the pews in church.
I think Paul said "let he who is spiritual restore such a one back into Fellowship".
That is directly speaking to those that walk in the spirit. That is also the dynamic that John is describing when he said "I was in the spirit on the Lord's Day"...
He was most likely in worship and he was sensing the presence and power of the Holy Spirit about him, so he was "in the spirit".
If you look it Romans chapter 8 paul defines "Spirit versus Walking In the Flesh"
he says there's no condemnation for those that walk after the spirit and not after the flesh
if I walk after the flesh I'm a carnal believer but I'm not unconverted
nor am I converted because I'm walking in the spirit I'm converted at Salvation

rebuilder 454

Jul 15, 2023
robstown
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear rebuilder 454,
The Early Rain of the Spirit is given to a person to call them out from the world so that they enter the church. The Early Rain will give the person a measure of faith and certain spiritual gifts. The Apostles received the Early Rain during Christ's ministry. People with the Early Rain make up the apostate churches of the world.

If a believer is chosen, Christ will "come again" to them and pour out the Latter Rain. The Latter Rain is what the Apostles received on the Day of Pentecost. With the Latter Rain, the believer will have their spiritual blindness healed and the truth of God's Word will open up them. When that occurs, they will leave the apostate church.

What you have been witnessing is the Early Rain and not the Latter Rain.

Joe
No
I am witnessing both.
The latter is here.
Peter declared it at Pentecost.
He said "THIS IS THAT..." Speaking from Joel.
Vivid and true.

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear Hobie,
Joe
Have you actually read your Bible were this earth and heavens over it are destroyed by fire, no my brother, only the wicked are left behind here at the Second Coming..

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have never read the complete book of Revelation as I do not understand its symbolism. But perhaps I will one day. so until then I'll just carry on with the small bites.

Reactions: JohnDB

Wrangler

Feb 14, 2021
Shining City on a Hill
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why is the book of Revelation so hard to read and understand?
Because it is so figurative.

I'm a technical guy. I work with technical drawings, which has the intention of one, objective interpretation. Poetry has the intention of subjective interpretation, where even the same person can take it differently, depending on how they feel that way.

Few debate math. The more ambiguous, the more debate and difficulty in understanding.

I once read that Revelation was deliberately cryptic so the Romans could not decipher it, even if they got a copy.

Hope this helps.