Heart rate problems

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
My heart rate got down to 44 beats per minute today. I looked up the risks associated with slow heart rate and it said "fainting" and "sudden cardiac arrest". I've had a few chest pains in the past few months and one episode of shortness of breath. I saw the doctor already and they did an EKG that turned up normal.

My heart rate shortly returned to 64 beats per minute and now it's up to 80 after drinking some coffee.

What should I do about this? I'm a little hesitant to go to the doctor at this point, but perhaps if it becomes a problem in some way.
praying for you about this situation animated-praying-smiley-image-0017.gif

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My heart rate got down to 44 beats per minute today. I looked up the risks associated with slow heart rate and it said "fainting" and "sudden cardiac arrest". I've had a few chest pains in the past few months and one episode of shortness of breath. I saw the doctor already and they did an EKG that turned up normal.

My heart rate shortly returned to 64 beats per minute and now it's up to 80 after drinking some coffee.

What should I do about this? I'm a little hesitant to go to the doctor at this point, but perhaps if it becomes a problem in some way.

Hey devin ~
Maybe consider taking a look at this site. This is the “headline”, and will take you to the page.
Bradycardia Causes + 9 Natural Ways to Improve Slow Heart Rate

It is some food suggestions you can consider adding to your normal diet, geared toward nutrients that support heart health.
Don’t get all creeped out by the Dr’s name...LOL, you’ll see.

Hope you get things comfortably under control,
Taken

Reactions: dev553344

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've never accounted this situation before. 44 sounds awfully low. I don't think coffee is the solution - might make things worse. Are you weight and cholesterol at acceptable levels?
I'm a little heavy. My cholesterol is a little high. Haven't had it checked in a long time as the check is not yet due.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey devin ~
Maybe consider taking a look at this site. This is the “headline”, and will take you to the page.
Bradycardia Causes + 9 Natural Ways to Improve Slow Heart Rate

It is some food suggestions you can consider adding to your normal diet, geared toward nutrients that support heart health.
Don’t get all creeped out by the Dr’s name...LOL, you’ll see.

Hope you get things comfortably under control,
Taken
Thanks, I think I'll echo it off my doctor as some nutrient deficiency might be causing it and she can easily test for that. I recently had a D vitamin deficiency. So maybe it's something I shouldn't overlook.

Reactions: Taken

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Lambano the doctor told me that anything below 50 is concerning and that next time if it happens again I'm supposed to go to the ER or urgent care for immediate evaluation. Just thought I would mention that as you expressed that your rate was dropping down there too. HTH.

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
But coffee does count as water ;) LOL. Maybe not.

I have skipping beats. It was something that used to give me a lot of anxiety. I can hear my heart beat in my ears due to some head pressure. And when it would stop it used to scare me and I would get anxiety attacks that would cause it to skip even more. Something I dealt with for years. But the anxiety is no longer there. I already wore a heart monitor for the dizzy spells and skipping heart beats. It all checked out OK.

I do hope you feel better. Coffee makes my heart shudder worse. Although I love it. (A good cup of coffee :oops:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Praying for you.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Lambano the doctor told me that anything below 50 is concerning and that next time if it happens again I'm supposed to go to the ER or urgent care for immediate evaluation. Just thought I would mention that as you expressed that your rate was dropping down there too. HTH.
you can also have them check your sodium levels my friend . Low sodium levels are more common than folks realize .
Now , PUT THOSE HANDS UP and LET THE GLORIOUS LORD be praised .

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thanks @FHII , I just go for walks. So I'm no longer working out or anything like that. I'm in my 50's now and stopped doing any kind of serious exercise.

I can hear my heart beat each beat in my ears. It's been this way for years. It makes a swishing sound as it beats. So it was easy to count the swishes against a clock on my computer.
Wow! That is strange! Ok then...

First off, how did you count them? Some count for 10 seconds and multiply by 6. Some for 15 seconds and multiply by 4. Or did you do it for a full 60 seconds?

This is important because if you are doing any partial minute counting you could be off a number of beats.

Second, were you drowsy at the time? I've experienced lower than normal heart rates when I am still awake, but on the verge of nodding off.

Third... Sleep, alcohol and coffee... If you regularly get enough sleep, don't drink alcohol or coffee, your heart rate will be lower (with the exception of when you are still awake but on the verge of dosing off). And, if you recently laid off bad habits, your HR drops within a few days.

I am more concerned with your chest pains, but you said you went to a doctor to address that. My advise is to continue to monitor it. Maybe get a fitbit, which continously monitors it 24/7 (as long as you wear it), and logs it so you have hard data for the doctor.

You said your exercise is long walks... That's good, but you can exercise more if you have the desire and the doc approves. I am in my 50's too and am a triathlete. I do pretty well, too, and I have friends in their 60's that are better. I don't mean to pressure you, but to let you know it can be done.

Lastly, nothing I say is above the advice of your doctor. LISTEN TO HIM! If I gave you something that perks your ear, talk to him about it. And if he scoffs at what I said, let him know I don't know you personally like he does and I defer to his advice. It's the professional and right thing to do.

Keep me advised how it works out!

3 John 1:2 KJV
Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I
Thanks @FHII , I just go for walks. So I'm no longer working out or anything like that. I'm in my 50's now and stopped doing any kind of serious exercise.

I can hear my heart beat each beat in my ears. It's been this way for years. It makes a swishing sound as it beats. So it was easy to count the swishes against a clock on my computer.

I started hearing my heart beat in my ears too, about…6 or 7 years ago. Doesn’t happen if I’m sitting still. I’ve just gotten used to it. It’s my new normal, lol.
I hooked myself up to moms blood pressure and pulse thing a few times when it first started happening. Everything read fine each time.

Last edited:

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
you can also have them check your sodium levels my friend . Low sodium levels are more common than folks realize .
It's interesting you said that Amigo... Most Ameicans get far too much sodium. We eat too much processed foods, and it's a health hazard for us.

But low levels of sodium can be a problem. A other problem is an improper balance of sodium with potassium and (to a lesser degree) calcium.

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I

I started hearing my heart beat in my ears too, about…6 or 7 years ago. Doesn’t happen if I’m sitting still. I’ve just gotten used to it. It’s my new normal, lol.
Hey, I am not saying you or Devin don't have this ability, I just question its accuracy. I question it because I haven't heard of such a thing and honestly don't know. I'd be a little more comfortable with a monitor.

stunnedbygrace

Aug 18, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hey, I am not saying you or Devin don't have this ability, I just question its accuracy. I question it because I haven't heard of such a thing and honestly don't know. I'd be a little more comfortable with a monitor.

Meh, I remember googling it and they said it was most likely pulsatile tinnitus from one or both ears having irregular blood flow in a tiny vessel near the ear. I’ve never felt the need to go to a doc about it. It’s maybe a little worse when my ears and sinuses are more congested during allergy time. BP and heart rate were within normal ranges when I checked them so I’m not too concerned.

Dropship

Jun 2, 2022
Plymouth UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My heart rate got down to 44 beats per minute today..

You're in good company then, because cycling legend Eddy Merckx's heart rate at rest was only 44 bpm, but it didn't stop him winning 5 Tours de France and loads of other big races..:)

merckx-yellow jersey.jpg

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My sodium levels are always low since I have cystic fibrosis. I'm waiting for the doctor to respond more.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Wow! That is strange! Ok then...

First off, how did you count them? Some count for 10 seconds and multiply by 6. Some for 15 seconds and multiply by 4. Or did you do it for a full 60 seconds?

This is important because if you are doing any partial minute counting you could be off a number of beats.

Second, were you drowsy at the time? I've experienced lower than normal heart rates when I am still awake, but on the verge of nodding off.

Third... Sleep, alcohol and coffee... If you regularly get enough sleep, don't drink alcohol or coffee, your heart rate will be lower (with the exception of when you are still awake but on the verge of dosing off). And, if you recently laid off bad habits, your HR drops within a few days.

I am more concerned with your chest pains, but you said you went to a doctor to address that. My advise is to continue to monitor it. Maybe get a fitbit, which continously monitors it 24/7 (as long as you wear it), and logs it so you have hard data for the doctor.

You said your exercise is long walks... That's good, but you can exercise more if you have the desire and the doc approves. I am in my 50's too and am a triathlete. I do pretty well, too, and I have friends in their 60's that are better. I don't mean to pressure you, but to let you know it can be done.

Lastly, nothing I say is above the advice of your doctor. LISTEN TO HIM! If I gave you something that perks your ear, talk to him about it. And if he scoffs at what I said, let him know I don't know you personally like he does and I defer to his advice. It's the professional and right thing to do.

Keep me advised how it works out!

3 John 1:2 KJV
Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.
I counted for 15 seconds and it was 11 beats. I counted 0-15 so it shouldn't be off by much, maybe a beat or two.

I exercise as much as I can. I'm on psych meds and it makes me somewhat weak and tired. I'm about maxed out for exercise at the moment :(

Reactions: FHII

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Meh, I remember googling it and they said it was most likely pulsatile tinnitus from one or both ears having irregular blood flow in a tiny vessel near the ear. I’ve never felt the need to go to a doc about it. It’s maybe a little worse when my ears and sinuses are more congested during allergy time. BP and heart rate were within normal ranges when I checked them so I’m not too concerned.
I can hear mine clearly. And I get pain in my ears at times. Really painful. I told the doctor some time ago and they did nothing. So I just live with it.