Help police! KJV is taking away my freedom of religion in USA reading another Bible versions!

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You keep telling us how corrupt the NWT is Enoch.....show us some examples
#14.

You see, they will always say "show ... examples" and when you do, they hate you for it. Why?

2Th_2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

John 7:53-8:11

The NIV and NWT follow the same pattern:

The words do not occur in the following corrupted texts:

P66, P75, Aleph (Sinaiticus), A (Alexandrinus), B (Vaticanus), C, L, N, T, W, X, Y, Delta, Theta, Psi, 0141, 0211, al, a, b-c, f, l*, q, pesh, sin, cur, sa, bo-pt, pbo, ach2, Goth, Arm​

Here is the vast extant literature which has the text in it:

"... D, E, (F*), G, H, K, M, S, T, U
Gamma, Lambda, Pi

Cursives: MAJORITY, (fam 1,13, both misplace)
Old Latin: aur, b*, c, d, e, ff2, j, g1, l-mg, r1, Vulgate
Syriac: Harclean-mg, Palestinian
Coptic: Bohairic-pt
Armenian-usc, Ethiopic

Also extant in Omega, 047, 055, 0233? ...

... The statement of Augustin (c. 400) is well known: "Certain persons of little faith, or rather enemies of the true faith, fearing, I suppose, lest their wives should be given impunity in sinning, removed from their manuscripts the Lord's act of forgiveness toward the adulteress, as if He who had said 'sin no more' had granted permission to sin." ..." - A Closer Look: Early Manuscripts & The A.V.; by Jack Moorman, page 105

Additionally:

"... Apostolic Constitutions (I 7:408), refers to the account and quotes 8:11. ... There is no indication in ANPF of a pre-400 AD Father omitting the disputed portion by joining 7:52 directly to 8:12. ..." - Early Church Fathers and the Authorized Version, by Jack Moorman, page 49

Additionally:

"... found in over 900 manuscripts. ...

... Fuller (4) p 1234, (33) p 155, cites Burgon as stating that of 73 copies of John's Gospel in the British Museum, 61 contain John 7:53-8:11 as found in this passage. Burgon (33) p 155, indicates that this proportioning would be typical for any collection of manuscript copies of John. He also cites, (33) p 149, a further 60 copies, from three distinct lines of ancestry, which agree with this passage. He alludes to 35 of the BM copies which contain a marginal note stating that verses 1-11 are not to be read on Whitsunday. Thus he explains how the Lectionary practice of the early church would have accounted for the omission of the verses from some of the seventy cursives from which they are absent. He also states, (33) p 148, that the subject matter itself would have been sufficient for deletion of the words from many copies, including the oldest uncials, Aleph and B. The verses are also absent from A (5th century), L (8th century), T (5th century) and Delta (9th century) but Codex A has two leaves missing, which in Burgon's considered view would have contained the verses, while L and Delta exhibit blank spaces which are witnesses FOR, not against, the validity of the verses. See remarks on B in relation to Mark 16:9-20. This leaves only T in agreement with Aleph and B, both notoriously untrustworthy. Burgon, ibid p 156, states that the verses are to be found in the large majority of later copies (i.e. over 900 manuscripts, as the NKJV so obligingly notes.)

Hills (3) p 159, (38) p 131, states that Papyri 66 and 75 and W omit the verses, in addition to the sources cited by Burgon. D however (6th century), contains them. Burgon (33) p 145-6, 1534, also cites in favour of the passage as found in this passage: Codex D and the Old Latin codices b, c, e ff, g, h, j-see notes under John 5:3b-4 for dates. Note that the Old Latin TEXT dates from the 2nd Century, (17) p77 Jerome (385 AD), who included it in the Vulgate after surveying older Greek copies, stating it was found "in many copies both Greek and Latin", before 415 AD, (17) p 134 The Ethiopic (5th century), Palestinian Syriac (5th Century), Georgian (5/6th century), some copies of the Armenian (4/5th century), Slavonic, Arabic and Persian versions Ambrose (374 AD), Augustine (396), Chrysologus (433), Faustus (400), Gelasius (492), Pacian (370), Rufinus (400), Sedulius (434), Victorius (457), Vigilius (484) and others The Lectionary practice of the Eastern Church, from earliest times (i.e. the 2nd century.)

Burgon, ibid p 147, states that the dislocation of John 7:53-8:11 (see notes under RSV and GN) is attributable to four cursives, 13, 69, 124, 346, all evidently from one ancient and corrupt copy.

Ruckman (2) p 134, cites in favour of the passage, the Didache (3rd century document of Apostolic Teachings), Apostolic Constitutions (4th century) and Eusebius (324 AD) citing Papias (150 AD) as recognizing the passage. The Montanists (2nd century) were also aware of the passage. Ruckman (31) p 333, also cites besides D, uncials M, S and Gamma from the 5th, 8th and 9th centuries in favour of this passage. Concerning authorship of the passage (see note under JB), Hills (38) p 130, states that "arguments from style are notoriously weak." Berry's Greek text supports this passage. ..." - Manuscript Evidence for Disputed Verses

Additionally:
"... in the writings of the Church Fathers: Didascalia, Ambrosiaster, Apostolic Constitutions, Ambrose, Jerome, and Augustine.

Jerome (AD 340-420), the translator of the Latin Bible called the Vulgate, said this about the pericope de adultera: “. . . in the Gospel according to John IN MANY MANUSCRIPTS, BOTH GREEK AND LATIN, IS FOUND THE STORY OF THE ADULTEROUS WOMAN who was accused before the Lord.” Jerome considered the pericope genuine, and included it in his Vulgate.
..." - Another King James Bible Believer

Reactions: RLT63

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
#14.

You see, they will always say "show ... examples" and when you do, they hate you for it. Why?

2Th_2:10 And with all deceivableness of unrighteousness in them that perish; because they received not the love of the truth, that they might be saved.

John 7:53-8:11

P66, P75, Aleph (Sinaiticus), A (Alexandrinus), B (Vaticanus), C, L, N, T, W, X, Y, Delta, Theta, Psi, 0141, 0211, al, a, b-c, f, l*, q, pesh, sin, cur, sa, bo-pt, pbo, ach2, Goth, Arm​

Here is the vast extant literature which has the text in it:

"... D, E, (F*), G, H, K, M, S, T, U
Gamma, Lambda, Pi
Cursives: MAJORITY, (fam 1,13, both misplace)​
Old Latin: aur, b*, c, d, e, ff2, j, g1, l-mg, r1, Vulgate
Syriac: Harclean-mg, Palestinian
Coptic: Bohairic-pt
Armenian-usc, Ethiopic
Also extant in Omega, 047, 055, 0233? ...​
... The statement of Augustin (c. 400) is well known: "Certain persons of little faith, or rather enemies of the true faith, fearing, I suppose, lest their wives should be given impunity in sinning, removed from their manuscripts the Lord's act of forgiveness toward the adulteress, as if He who had said 'sin no more' had granted permission to sin." ..." - A Closer Look: Early Manuscripts & The A.V.; by Jack Moorman, page 105

Additionally:

"... Apostolic Constitutions (I 7:408), refers to the account and quotes 8:11. ... There is no indication in ANPF of a pre-400 AD Father omitting the disputed portion by joining 7:52 directly to 8:12. ..." - Early Church Fathers and the Authorized Version, by Jack Moorman, page 49

Additionally:

"... found in over 900 manuscripts. ...​
... Fuller (4) p 1234, (33) p 155, cites Burgon as stating that of 73 copies of John's Gospel in the British Museum, 61 contain John 7:53-8:11 as found in this passage. Burgon (33) p 155, indicates that this proportioning would be typical for any collection of manuscript copies of John. He also cites, (33) p 149, a further 60 copies, from three distinct lines of ancestry, which agree with this passage. He alludes to 35 of the BM copies which contain a marginal note stating that verses 1-11 are not to be read on Whitsunday. Thus he explains how the Lectionary practice of the early church would have accounted for the omission of the verses from some of the seventy cursives from which they are absent. He also states, (33) p 148, that the subject matter itself would have been sufficient for deletion of the words from many copies, including the oldest uncials, Aleph and B. The verses are also absent from A (5th century), L (8th century), T (5th century) and Delta (9th century) but Codex A has two leaves missing, which in Burgon's considered view would have contained the verses, while L and Delta exhibit blank spaces which are witnesses FOR, not against, the validity of the verses. See remarks on B in relation to Mark 16:9-20. This leaves only T in agreement with Aleph and B, both notoriously untrustworthy. Burgon, ibid p 156, states that the verses are to be found in the large majority of later copies (i.e. over 900 manuscripts, as the NKJV so obligingly notes.)​
Hills (3) p 159, (38) p 131, states that Papyri 66 and 75 and W omit the verses, in addition to the sources cited by Burgon. D however (6th century), contains them. Burgon (33) p 145-6, 1534, also cites in favour of the passage as found in this passage: Codex D and the Old Latin codices b, c, e ff, g, h, j-see notes under John 5:3b-4 for dates. Note that the Old Latin TEXT dates from the 2nd Century, (17) p77 Jerome (385 AD), who included it in the Vulgate after surveying older Greek copies, stating it was found "in many copies both Greek and Latin", before 415 AD, (17) p 134 The Ethiopic (5th century), Palestinian Syriac (5th Century), Georgian (5/6th century), some copies of the Armenian (4/5th century), Slavonic, Arabic and Persian versions Ambrose (374 AD), Augustine (396), Chrysologus (433), Faustus (400), Gelasius (492), Pacian (370), Rufinus (400), Sedulius (434), Victorius (457), Vigilius (484) and others The Lectionary practice of the Eastern Church, from earliest times (i.e. the 2nd century.)​
Burgon, ibid p 147, states that the dislocation of John 7:53-8:11 (see notes under RSV and GN) is attributable to four cursives, 13, 69, 124, 346, all evidently from one ancient and corrupt copy.​
Ruckman (2) p 134, cites in favour of the passage, the Didache (3rd century document of Apostolic Teachings), Apostolic Constitutions (4th century) and Eusebius (324 AD) citing Papias (150 AD) as recognizing the passage. The Montanists (2nd century) were also aware of the passage. Ruckman (31) p 333, also cites besides D, uncials M, S and Gamma from the 5th, 8th and 9th centuries in favour of this passage. Concerning authorship of the passage (see note under JB), Hills (38) p 130, states that "arguments from style are notoriously weak." Berry's Greek text supports this passage. ..." - Manuscript Evidence for Disputed Verses

Additionally:
"... in the writings of the Church Fathers: Didascalia, Ambrosiaster, Apostolic Constitutions, Ambrose, Jerome, and Augustine.
Jerome (AD 340-420), the translator of the Latin Bible called the Vulgate, said this about the pericope de adultera: “. . . in the Gospel according to John IN MANY MANUSCRIPTS, BOTH GREEK AND LATIN, IS FOUND THE STORY OF THE ADULTEROUS WOMAN who was accused before the Lord.” Jerome considered the pericope genuine, and included it in his Vulgate. ..." - Another King James Bible Believer
Short and to the point, getting better already.

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
no BODY is holding a gun to your head making you use KJV . its a choice your ranting and carrying on about nothing that matters to a hill of beans
I'm not the one ranting and carrying on about nothing. You're pushing the KJV, one of many English translations and, IMHO, not the best.

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Short and to the point, getting better already.
. I like the article but not sure I agree

Last edited:

BeyondET

Jul 9, 2022
Hampton Roads
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Dear KJV only!!
1f449.png
Are you God? No!
1f449.png
Do you have an authority over me?? No!
1f449.png
Are you forcing me read KJV only! That's called legalism!!
1f449.png
Do I have Freedom of Religion in USA read other Bible versions! Yes! Case closed!
Hmm so I gather you don't like those who only read the KJV

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
#15.

Acts 8:37

Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.​

P45, P74, Aleph (Sinaiticus), A (Alexandrinus), B (Vaticanus), C, H, L, P, psi, 049, 056, 0142; MAJORITY, Vulgate-pt, pesh, harc, sa, bo, Eth​

Here is the extant literature which has the text in it:
"... E
Cursives: pc (27 are cited in our other Digest)
Old Latin: ar, c, e, l, (m*), ph, r, Vulgate-pt
Syriac: Harclean**​
Coptic: MAe (Middle Aegyptian)
Armenian
The verse is cited by Irenaeus (178), Tertullian (220), and Cyprian (258). ... See KJVMT p 60 for further evidence. ..." - A Closer Look: Early Manuscripts & The A.V.; by Jack Moorman, pages 113

Additionally:

"... E, 4, 36, 88, 97, 103, 104, 242, 257, 307, 322, 323, 385, 429, 453, 464, 467, 629, 630, 913, 945, 1522, 1739, 1765, 1877, 1891, others. ...​
Von Soden indicates: I b1 (522, 1758), I b2 (2298).
Lectionary: 59.
Old Latin: ar, c?, e, gig, h, l, m, ph, r;
Vulgate: Clementine am-2, tol, demid
Syriac: Harclean-with asterisk;
Coptic: Middle Egyptian
Armenian, Georgian.
Irenaeus, Lyons, Latin, 178.
Tertullian, N. Africa, Latin, 220.
Cyprian, Carthage, Latin, 258.
Ambrosiaster, Latin, 384.
Pacianus, Barcelona, Latin, 392.
Ambrose, Milan, Latin, 397.
Augustine, Hippo., Latin, 430.
"Praedestinatus", Latin, 434.
Bede, England, Latin, also cites Greek mss., 735.
Theophylact, (cor.), Bulgaria, 1077. ..." - When The KJV Departs From The "Majority" Text of Hodge & Farstad, cited by the corrupt NKJV, by Jack Moorman, page 60-61.

Additionally:

"... IRENAEUS, Against Heresies (I 1:433) "the believing eunuch himself ... said, "I believe Jesus Christ to be the Son of God."
CYPRIAN, Treatises (I 5:545). "Then said Philip, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest"
PONTIUS, Life of Cyprian (I 5:268), "the eunuch is described as at once baptized by Philip because he believed with his whole heart." ...​
... I have found no indication in the ANPF of a pre-400 AD Father quoting the above general passage with the disputed words omitted. There were no references to verses 36 and 38 in the indices. ..." - Early Church Fathers And The Authorized Version, by Jack Moorman, page 52

Additionally:

"... Acts 8:37 is in the Byzantine Greek text used by the Orthodox Greek Churches all over the world today. Here is the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese​
ἰδοὺ ὕδωρ· τί κωλύει με βαπτισθῆναι;εἶπε δὲ ὁ Φίλιππος· εἰ πιστεύεις ἐξ ὅλης τῆς καρδίας, ἔξεστιν. ἀποκριθεὶς δὲ εἶπε· πιστεύω τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ Θεοῦ εἶναι τὸν ᾿Ιησοῦν Χριστόν.​
It is also in the Modern Greek Bible and in the Modern Hebrew Bible.​
The whole verse is also found in Old Latin manuscripts from the textline that predates any Greek manuscripts, including the Old Latin texts of ar, c, dem, e, gig, h, l, m, ph, r, t, w. Even the notes in critical text editions tell us that this verse existed in the Old Latin copies, the Coptic Middle Egyptian version, the Ethiopic, Georgian, and Slavonic, Lamsa's 1933 translation of the Syriac Pes.hitta and Armenian early Bible versions. It is also found in the Vulgate Clementine.​
Many church fathers who lived before anything we have in the way of Greek copies directly quote this verse, including Irenaeus 178 A.D., Tertullian 220, Cyprian died in 258, as well as Ambrosiaster 384, Ambrose 397, Augustine 430, and Venerable Bede of England in 735.​
For example, Cyprian (200-258 A.D.) supports the inclusion of verse 36-37 Textus Receptus when he says, "In the Acts of the Apostles Treatise 12:3: Lo, here is water; what is there which hinders me from being baptized? Then said Phillip, If thou believest with all thine heart thou mayest." (The Treatises of Cyprian)​
Irenaeus (115-202 AD), Against Heresies 3.12: "Philip declared that this was Jesus, and that the Scripture was fulfilled in Him; as did also the believing eunuch himself: and, immediately requesting to be baptized, he said, I believe Jesus Christ to be the Son of God."​
Cyprian (200-258 AD), "For although in the Acts of the Apostles the eunuch is described as at once baptized by Philip, because "he believed with his whole heart," this is not a fair parallel. For he was a Jew, and as he came from the temple of the Lord he was reading the prophet Isaiah," (Cyprian)-Cyprian THE LIFE AND PASSION OF CYPRIAN, BISHOP AND MARTYR 200 - 258 paragraph 3​
Augustine (354-430 AD), Sermons on Selected Lessons of the New Testament - Sermon 49: "The eunuch believed on Christ, and said when they came unto a certain water, See water, who doth hinder me to be baptized? Philip said to him, Dost thou believe on Jesus Christ? He answered, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Immediately he went down with him into the water." ..." - Another King James Bible Believer

Additionally:

"... Berry's Greek text supports this passage, indicating the familiarity of the 16th century editors with the ancient evidence in support of the verse. See Part 3 of this work for further discussion. ..." - Manuscript Evidence for Disputed Verses

Jim B

Jun 5, 2020
Santa Fe NM
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
#15.

Acts 8:37

Act 8:37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.​

P45, P74, Aleph (Sinaiticus), A (Alexandrinus), B (Vaticanus), C, H, L, P, psi, 049, 056, 0142; MAJORITY, Vulgate-pt, pesh, harc, sa, bo, Eth​

"... E
Cursives: pc (27 are cited in our other Digest)
Old Latin: ar, c, e, l, (m*), ph, r, Vulgate-pt
Syriac: Harclean**​
Coptic: MAe (Middle Aegyptian)
Armenian
The verse is cited by Irenaeus (178), Tertullian (220), and Cyprian (258). ... See KJVMT p 60 for further evidence. ..." - A Closer Look: Early Manuscripts & The A.V.; by Jack Moorman, pages 113

Additionally:

"... E, 4, 36, 88, 97, 103, 104, 242, 257, 307, 322, 323, 385, 429, 453, 464, 467, 629, 630, 913, 945, 1522, 1739, 1765, 1877, 1891, others. ...​
Von Soden indicates: I b1 (522, 1758), I b2 (2298).
Lectionary: 59.
Old Latin: ar, c?, e, gig, h, l, m, ph, r;
Vulgate: Clementine am-2, tol, demid
Syriac: Harclean-with asterisk;
Coptic: Middle Egyptian
Armenian, Georgian.
Irenaeus, Lyons, Latin, 178.
Tertullian, N. Africa, Latin, 220.
Cyprian, Carthage, Latin, 258.
Ambrosiaster, Latin, 384.
Pacianus, Barcelona, Latin, 392.
Ambrose, Milan, Latin, 397.
Augustine, Hippo., Latin, 430.
"Praedestinatus", Latin, 434.
Bede, England, Latin, also cites Greek mss., 735.
Theophylact, (cor.), Bulgaria, 1077. ..." - When The KJV Departs From The "Majority" Text of Hodge & Farstad, cited by the corrupt NKJV, by Jack Moorman, page 60-61.

Additionally:

"... IRENAEUS, Against Heresies (I 1:433) "the believing eunuch himself ... said, "I believe Jesus Christ to be the Son of God."
CYPRIAN, Treatises (I 5:545). "Then said Philip, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest"
PONTIUS, Life of Cyprian (I 5:268), "the eunuch is described as at once baptized by Philip because he believed with his whole heart." ...​
... I have found no indication in the ANPF of a pre-400 AD Father quoting the above general passage with the disputed words omitted. There were no references to verses 36 and 38 in the indices. ..." - Early Church Fathers And The Authorized Version, by Jack Moorman, page 52

Additionally:

"... Acts 8:37 is in the Byzantine Greek text used by the Orthodox Greek Churches all over the world today. Here is the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese​
ἰδοὺ ὕδωρ· τί κωλύει με βαπτισθῆναι;εἶπε δὲ ὁ Φίλιππος· εἰ πιστεύεις ἐξ ὅλης τῆς καρδίας, ἔξεστιν. ἀποκριθεὶς δὲ εἶπε· πιστεύω τὸν υἱὸν τοῦ Θεοῦ εἶναι τὸν ᾿Ιησοῦν Χριστόν.​
It is also in the Modern Greek Bible and in the Modern Hebrew Bible.​
The whole verse is also found in Old Latin manuscripts from the textline that predates any Greek manuscripts, including the Old Latin texts of ar, c, dem, e, gig, h, l, m, ph, r, t, w. Even the notes in critical text editions tell us that this verse existed in the Old Latin copies, the Coptic Middle Egyptian version, the Ethiopic, Georgian, and Slavonic, Lamsa's 1933 translation of the Syriac Pes.hitta and Armenian early Bible versions. It is also found in the Vulgate Clementine.​
Many church fathers who lived before anything we have in the way of Greek copies directly quote this verse, including Irenaeus 178 A.D., Tertullian 220, Cyprian died in 258, as well as Ambrosiaster 384, Ambrose 397, Augustine 430, and Venerable Bede of England in 735.​
For example, Cyprian (200-258 A.D.) supports the inclusion of verse 36-37 Textus Receptus when he says, "In the Acts of the Apostles Treatise 12:3: Lo, here is water; what is there which hinders me from being baptized? Then said Phillip, If thou believest with all thine heart thou mayest." (The Treatises of Cyprian)​
Irenaeus (115-202 AD), Against Heresies 3.12: "Philip declared that this was Jesus, and that the Scripture was fulfilled in Him; as did also the believing eunuch himself: and, immediately requesting to be baptized, he said, I believe Jesus Christ to be the Son of God."​
Cyprian (200-258 AD), "For although in the Acts of the Apostles the eunuch is described as at once baptized by Philip, because "he believed with his whole heart," this is not a fair parallel. For he was a Jew, and as he came from the temple of the Lord he was reading the prophet Isaiah," (Cyprian)-Cyprian THE LIFE AND PASSION OF CYPRIAN, BISHOP AND MARTYR 200 - 258 paragraph 3​
Augustine (354-430 AD), Sermons on Selected Lessons of the New Testament - Sermon 49: "The eunuch believed on Christ, and said when they came unto a certain water, See water, who doth hinder me to be baptized? Philip said to him, Dost thou believe on Jesus Christ? He answered, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. Immediately he went down with him into the water." ..." - Another King James Bible Believer

Additionally:

"... Berry's Greek text supports this passage, indicating the familiarity of the 16th century editors with the ancient evidence in support of the verse. See Part 3 of this work for further discussion. ..." - Manuscript Evidence for Disputed Verses
Are you serious? What a total waste of time!

All that needs to be said about this single, out-of-context verse is: "A few later mss (E 36 323 453 945 1739 1891) add, with minimal differences in wording, 8:37 “He said to him, ‘If you believe with your whole heart, you may.’ He replied, ‘I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.’” Verse 37 is lacking in P45,74 א A B C 33 614 vg syp,h co. It is clearly not a part of the original text of Acts. The variant is significant in showing how some in the early church viewed the necessity of a confession of faith. The present translation follows NA28 in omitting the verse number, a procedure also followed by a number of other modern translations." NET footnote

rockytopva

Staff member
Dec 31, 2010
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Thread title reads... "Help police! KJV is taking away my freedom of religion in USA reading another Bible versions"

Hahahaha... Give me some time to laugh over this one! :Laughingoutloud:

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
Amazingly you open the door for the enemies of God to further diminish from the word of God.

Way to go!

All that needs to be said about this single, out-of-context verse is: "A few later mss (E 36 323 453 945 1739 1891) add, with minimal differences in wording, 8:37 “He said to him, ‘If you believe with your whole heart, you may.’ He replied, ‘I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.’” Verse 37 is lacking in P45,74 א A B C 33 614 vg syp,h co. It is clearly not a part of the original text of Acts. The variant is significant in showing how some in the early church viewed the necessity of a confession of faith. The present translation follows NA28 in omitting the verse number, a procedure also followed by a number of other modern translations." NET footnote

Quoting from this source....

Reactions: RLT63

Johann

Apr 2, 2022
Durban South Africa
Faith
Christian
Country
South Africa
. I like the article but not sure I agree
The account is in my Bible and care little what "scholars" are saying and debating.

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
EGW: “In ancient times God spoke to men by the mouth of prophets and apostles. In these days He speaks to them by the testimonies of His Spirit. There never was a time when God instructed His people more earnestly then He instructs them now concerning His will and the course that He would have them pursue.” Testimonies 4, p. 147 and in Testimonies 5, p. 661 (1876).

Bible: Heb 1:1-2 (NIV) In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways, but in these last days he has spoken to us by his Son, whom he appointed heir of all things, and through whom he made the universe.

Was this instruction to a small group of SDA’s in 1876 more earnest than when God instructed Israel by the prophets, or people of the world by Noah and more earnest than the teaching of the Gospel by Jesus? Or was it E.G. White’s vivid and colorful imagination? EGW gives herself a promotion, that her work is “more earnest” than that of the prophets, apostles, and Jesus. Is this not infallibility?

Hebrews 1:1,2, tells us that Jesus will speak to men in the last days and EGW changes the Word of God to tell us that it is "the Testimonies of His Spirit." By saying "the Testimonies of his Spirit," she means her writings. Which do you believe, Jesus or Ellen White?
T4, 147, and T5, 661, are both references to Hebrews 1:1-3.

Again, you and your 'source', misunderstand what sister White stated.

"In ancient times God spoke to men by the mouth of prophets and apostles.", this refers to Hebrews 1:1

Heb 1:1 God, who at sundry times and in divers manners spake in time past unto the fathers by the prophets,​

"In these days He speaks to them by the testimonies of His Spirit.", this refers to Hebrews 1:2-3; John 14:26; Revelation 19:10

Heb 1:2 Hath in these last days spoken unto us by his Son, whom he hath appointed heir of all things, by whom also he made the worlds;​
Heb 1:3 Who being the brightness of his glory, and the express image of his person, and upholding all things by the word of his power, when he had by himself purged our sins, sat down on the right hand of the Majesty on high;​
Joh_14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, he shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.​
Rev_19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.​

So, sister White, is not pointing to herself. She is pointing to scripture, and what was stated would exist in these last days.

So, your question, "Which do you believe, Jesus or Ellen White?" is a false dichotomy. I believe both, for they are saying the exact same thing.; Jesus speaking by the Holy Spirit through Paul in Hebrews, etc, and Jesus, speaking by the Holy Spirit through sister White, in confirmation.

Last edited:

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Did Ellen G. White Claim to be Able To Tell the Difference Between Truth and Error? YES!

Ellen White Enabled to Clearly Define Truth and Error. At that time [after the 1844 disappointment] one error after another pressed in upon us; ministers and doctors brought in new doctrines. We would search the Scriptures with much prayer, and the Holy Spirit would bring the truth to our minds. Sometimes whole nights would be devoted to searching the Scriptures and earnestly asking God for guidance. Companies of devoted men and women assembled for this purpose. The power of God would come upon me, and I was enabled clearly to define what is truth and what is error. Selected Messages, Book 3, page 31, 32, paragraph 4, Chapter Title: "The Primacy of the Word".

As the points of our faith were thus established, our feet were placed upon a solid foundation. We accepted the truth point by point, under the demonstration of the Holy Spirit. I would be taken off in vision, and explanations would be given me. I was given illustrations of heavenly things, and of the sanctuary, so that we were placed where light was shining on us in clear, distinct rays. Gospel Works, p. 302.

If EGW was able to "define truth" why did she contradict the Bible, have failed visions, and have non scientific health reform?
SM3, 31-32, is a compilation work, which cites paragraphs from multiple sources. out of their original context. It is taken from Gospel Workers, 302, which previous context is:

"In 1844, when anything came to our attention that we did not understand, we kneeled down and asked God to help us take the right position; and then we were able to come to a right understanding and see eye to eye. There was no dissension, no enmity, no evil-surmising, no misjudging of our brethren. If we but knew the evil of the spirit of intolerance, how carefully would we shun it!"​

Notice the continual "we", "our", "us".

Even in SM3, clearly states that it was

"We would search the Scriptures with much prayer, and the Holy Spirit would bring truth to our minds."​
"Sometimes whole nights would be devoted to searching the Scriptures and earnestly asking God for guidance. Companies of devoted men and women assembled for this purpose."​

Sounds just like Acts 1-2, where there were a whole company of men and women, were searching the scriptures in prayer, for several days (Acts 1:16,20), but needed the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:8) to guide them "into all truth" (John 16:13), and when the Holy Spirit came upon them (Acts 2:1-4,17-18,33; Psalms 133:1-3; 1 Peter 1:12; Revelation 5:6), they were empowered to preach the present truth.

When she states,

"The power of God would come upon me, and I was enabled clearly to define what is truth and what is error."​

She is referring to herself, not the group in this instance. She, herself would not always be able to understand the material studied, and as she states elsewhere, her mind would be "locked". This is given in the first SM, she tells us.

"... Elder [Hiram] Edson, and others who were keen, noble, and true, were among those who, after the passing of the time in 1844, searched for the truth as for hidden treasure. I met with them, and we studied and prayed earnestly. Often we remained together until late at night, and sometimes through the entire night, praying for light and studying the Word. Again and again these brethren came together to study the Bible, in order that they might know its meaning, and be prepared to teach it with power. When they came to the point in their study where they said, “We can do nothing more,” the Spirit of the Lord would come upon me, I would be taken off in vision, and a clear explanation of the passages we had been studying would be given me, with instruction as to how we were to labor and teach effectively. Thus light was given that helped us to understand the scriptures in regard to Christ, His mission, and His priesthood. A line of truth extending from that time to the time when we shall enter the city of God, was made plain to me, and I gave to others the instruction that the Lord had given me.​
During this whole time I could not understand the reasoning of the brethren. My mind was locked, as it were, and I could not comprehend the meaning of the scriptures we were studying. This was one of the greatest sorrows of my life. I was in this condition of mind until all the principal points of our faith were made clear to our minds, in harmony with the Word of God. The brethren knew that when not in vision, I could not understand these matters, and they accepted as light direct from heaven the revelations given.​
For two or three years my mind continued to be locked to an understanding of the Scriptures. In the course of our labors, my husband and I visited Father Andrews, [See note on page 206.] who was suffering intensely with inflammatory rheumatism. We prayed for him. I laid my hands on his head, and said, “Father Andrews, the Lord Jesus maketh thee whole.” He was healed instantly. He got up, and walked about the room, praising God, and saying, “I never saw it on this wise before. Angels of God are in this room.” The glory of the Lord was revealed. Light seemed to shine all through the house, and an angel's hand was laid upon my head. From that time to this I have been able to understand the Word of God. ..."​

So, what is seen recorded here?

[1] There were many people praying and studying the Bible for days​
[2] They were coming to understand various doctrines more clearly by so doing​
[3] sister White herself, was present, but she could not of her own self understand all the links in the texts for what they were studying, and she could not grasp what was coming out of those studies, and God allowed this on purpose​
[4] After the group came to a point of which they became stuck, they all prayed, and sister White would be given instruction on how all the texts linked together, so that it became perfectly clear to her, about what the others had already come to by Bible study, and then she herself would receive 'the icing on the cake', as it were, and help them get over the hump that they had been stuck at.​
[5] They would all marvel at how she had not previously comprehended the material under discussion, but after receving instruction from God, by the Holy Spirit, she would perfectly explain what they had just studied, and what she previously had not understood, and then help them in the place they could not pass of themselves.​
[6] This took place multiple times, where God would work through the people to come to understanding and a place they could not pass by their own understanding, and then utilize sister White especially so that she could understand what they studied, and then help them to the next place, so they could continue, and this repeated on several occasions.​
[7] This method represents "To the Law (Bible) and to the testimony (spirit of prophecy)". They studied first, without her help and aide, so that no one could say she led them into the material, and then God used sister White to complete what they had studied, and they would then move to the next topic, and repeat this process. Bible, study, prayer first. Doctrine studied first up to an almost complete point. Sister White could not understand everything that was being studied. Testimony second. Holy Ghost moves, and the Doctrine understood and finished in thought by God's Holy Spirit as He led them to the other texts they were not aware of, or hadn't understood, and sister White is able to clearly explain what she hadn't been able to comprehend before, and harmonized. This is the way it was in the NT also, as the disciples would study, they would come to understand present truth in prophecy, and then God would send a prophet, or move by His Holy Spirit, and all would become clear, and then on to the next point. A similar situation can be seen in Acts 15, with the testimonies of Paul, then Peter, followed by James as he cited scripture, and then the Holy Ghost confirmed their Bible study, unifying their minds and hearts.​
Yet, as always, you and your source have to misrepresent, and misunderstand the context, because you did not want to understand, nor acknowledge your own errors.

Last edited:

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Acts 15:34

Act 15:34 Notwithstanding it pleased Silas to abide there still.

P74, Aleph (Sinaiticus), A (Alexandrinus), B (Vaticanus), E, L, H, P Psi, 049, MAJORITY, some Old Latin, Syriac: Pes.hitta.

"... This verse, as it is found in the KJV, is present in a number of medieval Greek minuscules, one thirteenth-century Latin copy, a late Syriac recension, multiple Coptic witnesses, and in some later translations such as the Armenian, Georgian, Slavonic, and Ethiopic. ...

... Codex C (fifth century) ... Codex D (sixth century) and a number of Old Latin manuscripts ... While Papyrus 127 (fifth century) is damaged in this section, scholars estimate based on the available space that it also contained this longer version of the verse. One late "Old Latin" copy, itw (15th century) and the Clementine Vulgate manuscripts preserve an even longer reading, as also seen in the 14th-century John Wycliffe Bible, "But it was seen to Silas, to dwell there; and Judas went alone to Jerusalem." The 1539 "Great Bible," the first "authorized" English version, likewise contained this longer form of the verse, though the extra material from the Latin was marked with brackets and smaller print. ..." - Was Acts 15:34 removed from modern Bibles? | CARM.org

Additionally:

"... Ruckman (57) Acts p 442, states that Aleph and B omit the verse. It is found in the Syriac and Byzantine manuscripts, in D (Western family), in C (Alexandrian family) and in the Old Latin. Berry's Greek text supports this passage. ..." - Manuscript Evidence for Disputed Verses

Additionally:

The passage is also in most Modern translations - https://www.biblegateway.com/verse/en/Acts 15:34

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
“It is from the standpoint of the light that has come through the Spirit of Prophecy (Mrs. White’s writings) that the question will be considered, believing as we do that the Spirit of Prophecy is the only infallible interpreter of Bible principles, since it is the Christ, through this agency, giving real meaning of his own words.” G. A. Irwin, General Conference President, from the tract The Mark of the Beast, p. 1.

The highest officer of the Church confesses that E. G. White’s writings are the only infallible interpreter of Bible principles.
This is simply a great misunderstanding about how the Seventh-day Adventist church actually functions structurally, and doctrinally.

The GC president (an Administrative office of the GC, not the world church), as sister White was very clear about that. He does not 'speak for' the world church. He is an administrative officer of the GC only.

Individuals, even the GC president, are not infallible, and have said things which are in error, as even sister White had to reprove such persons in the past while she lived.

The quotation was altered by brackets, when it says, "Spirit of Prophecy (Mrs. White's writings)". No. The "Spirit of Prophecy" is the "Testimony of Jesus", not sister White's "writings". The infallible interpreter of scripture is God, and in that statement made by the GC president, he is referring to Jesus' testimony, by the Holy Ghost, both of whom are Deity.

Rev 19:10 And I fell at his feet to worship him. And he said unto me, See thou do it not: I am thy fellowservant, and of thy brethren that have the testimony of Jesus: worship God: for the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy.​

The Bible itself states this, in several places, but for the moment, I will cite this one, being the clearest:

Gen_40:8 And they said unto him, We have dreamed a dream, and there is no interpreter of it. And Joseph said unto them, Do not interpretations belong to God? tell me them, I pray you.​

The "spirit of prophecy" is no more the "writings" of sister White, than they are the "writings" of the other prophets. The "spirit of prophecy" is the "testimony of Jesus", which inspired the other prophets to write, and so also for sister White. Inspiration works upon the person/individual, not the pen, paper. As for instance, Paul was inspired to speak Romans to a scribe, Tertias, who wrote it down.

Thus the rest of the quote told you this:

"... Christ, through this agency, giving real meaning of his own words ..."

The "agency" is the Holy Spirit, on Jesus' behalf and name, working upon the mind of sister White to relate what Jesus stated, already, in His word.

Joh_16:13 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come.​
Joh_12:48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.​
Joh_12:49 For I have not spoken of myself; but the Father which sent me, he gave me a commandment, what I should say, and what I should speak.​
Mat_22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God. (Law and Testimony (Spirit, Rom. 15:19; 2 Tim. 1:6-7))​

This is even stated by Jesus:

Mat_10:20 For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

So, this means that God is the interpreter (not sister White, in any way), and that God working in the Son, by the Holy Ghost, through the messenger, leads men back to the words already given in the scriptures. Isaiah 8:20.

You simply do not understand Seventh-day Adventist theology, nor practice, nor even of terminology. Simply taking a statement, adding one's own thoughts or definition to it, is not actually presenting what we, as Seventh-day Adventist, believe and practice, but is simply misrepresenting, redefining and straw-manning a position

It is unChristian to do that, so I would recommend, if you desire to remain Christian, to cease from your present approach of simply swallowing whatever the ex-SDA (angry, bitter, biased and with personal agenda) you are citing, and regurgitating it, but it is your prerogative, to either do good, or evil.

Last edited:

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

#17.

Acts 24:6-8:

Act 24:6 Who also hath gone about to profane the temple: whom we took, and would have judged according to our law.​
Act 24:7 But the chief captain Lysias came upon us, and with great violence took him away out of our hands,​
Act 24:8 Commanding his accusers to come unto thee: by examining of whom thyself mayest take knowledge of all these things, whereof we accuse him.​

Aleph (Sinaiticus), B (Vaticanus)​

"... These words ARE found in a multitude of Greek copies and in the Greek texts of Erasmus, Stephanus, Beza, Scrivener, and the Modern Greek New Testament used throughout the Greek speaking churches of the world today.​
They are found in the following ancient Bible versions: The Old Latin copies ar, c, dem, e, gig, p, ph, ro, w. Even the notes in critical text editions tell us that this verse existed in the Old Latin copies, some Coptic versions, the Ethiopic, Georgian, and Slavonic, the Syriac Pesh.itta and Armenian early Bible versions. It is also found in the Vulgate Clementine.
Early church fathers who witness to it's being a part of inspired Scripture are Irenaeus, Cyprian, Chromatius,Tertullian, Ambrosiaster, Pacian, Ambrose, Augustine and Theophylact. ..." - Another King James Bible Believer

AlwaysOnAJourney

Aug 9, 2022
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get really tired of people quoting me the King James Version. Anymore I take one look at the verses, and move onto something else. It's not my language! Asking me to read it is almost as bad as asking me to read another language. It makes my head hurt! After you hurt my head, do you still expect me to take you seriously? Look! I get it, The King James has it's place in Bible history. But there are very good reasons why we needed easier translations. The English language evolves. Sometimes I think people like to us the King James to make themselves feel superior over people like me. Here you can hide behind a computer screen, but I really wonder, with your superiority attitude if your really living out the word or not. I mean how do I know that you can really understand and apply what your pushing?

James 1:22-25

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

If I can read it like that, then why on earth would I want to read it like this?

22 But be ye doers of the Word and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

23 For if any be a hearer of the Word and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a mirror;

24 for he beholdeth himself, and then goeth his way and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.

25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Reactions: Aunty Jane

RLT63

Apr 24, 2022
Montgomery
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I get really tired of people quoting me the King James Version. Anymore I take one look at the verses, and move onto something else. It's not my language! Asking me to read it is almost as bad as asking me to read another language. It makes my head hurt! After you hurt my head, do you still expect me to take you seriously? Look! I get it, The King James has it's place in Bible history. But there are very good reasons why we needed easier translations. The English language evolves. Sometimes I think people like to us the King James to make themselves feel superior over people like me. Here you can hide behind a computer screen, but I really wonder, with your superiority attitude if your really living out the word or not. I mean how do I know that you can really understand and apply what your pushing?

Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.

If I can read it like that, then why on earth would I want to read it like this?

22 But be ye doers of the Word and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

23 For if any be a hearer of the Word and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a mirror;

24 for he beholdeth himself, and then goeth his way and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.

25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.
I’m able to read and understand both of those versions. I think everyone should read the version of their choice and not try to tell everyone else what to do

Adventageous

Oct 28, 2022
Noneya
archive.org
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Status
Not open for further replies.