Help: The mystery succulent that grows like weeds

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is a tall succulent on the patio that grows like a weed.

It started as one plant but through the past few years it has popped up in other containers (on it's own). Seeds must blow around.

The plant grows very tall and sometimes gets a large purple cluster of small flowers at the top of the plant.

The "leaves" are about five to six inches long. They are thick, succulent type leaves which grow up the entire tall plant. They also have small jagged edges on both sides of the "leaves."

I'm wondering if anyone might know what this plant is....it sure is prolific and spreads like crazy.

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

It started as one plant but through the past few years it has popped up in other containers (on it's own). Seeds must blow around.

The plant grows very tall and sometimes gets a large purple cluster of small flowers at the top of the plant.

The "leaves" are about five to six inches long. They are thick, succulent type leaves which grow up the entire tall plant. They also have small jagged edges on both sides of the "leaves."

I'm wondering if anyone might know what this plant is....it sure is prolific and spreads like crazy.
No idea. Could it be this?
1704890938779.png

Reactions: Debp

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Thistle.
Ball thistle.
1704890797061.png

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
No idea. Could it be this?
View attachment 39700
No, that's not it. I think that is an Octillo cactus. And they bloom red. Seen many of those when visiting family in Arizona years ago.

Thistle.
Ball thistle.
View attachment 39699
Nope, that's not it either.

It just has one large cluster of tiny flowers at the top of the plant which is a long stem. And the succulent type "leaves" go from the base of the plant to the top in an uniform manner on both sides of the stem.

Will try searching the Internet myself later. Just thought maybe someone knows this prolific plant.

Debp

Jul 5, 2020
California
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Could you post a picture?

I remember seeing something that fits that description on my trips to California. I'm assuming it's native.
Not sure I can get a photo as I would have to take my tablet downstairs. Will see.
In the meantime I will search on the Internet.

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There are apps that you can download that will identify it by its leaves. I was amazed at how well they worked. They will give you a week of free trial. More than enough time to identify everything around the house.

Reactions: Debp