Helping the least of Him

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
I had an experience a few years back, now a memory, that I won't ever forget but I will share here. One morning I needed quarters for the laundry machine in my building and all I had was bills, so I headed up the street to a change machine. As I was putting the first dollar in the machine, I saw in the reflection what looked like a homeless man coming toward me from across the street. It was the first time that had happened so i didn't know what to do. I just kept putting the rest of the dollars in and hoped the "stupid slow machine" would hurry up.

He reached me before the rest of the quarters came out and asked If I could spare any money. I was nervous and just said no (as I put the last dollar in the machine). He walked away and as soon as he left I got the worst conviction that I had done the wrong thing. I lied to him about not having any extra money because I didn't want to have to withdraw more money and come back the next day.

The conviction only got worse as the day went on, and I couldn't help but feel extremely selfish and wonder if the man had anything to eat. All I cared about at that moment was the inconvenience it would have caused me and not about what he must experience everyday, having to walk up to strangers and ask for money.

This was before I turned to God, and even though I asked for God's forgiveness, I can help but think that he was sent by God to test me. Especially after reading this passage:

Matthew 25:43-45

[sup]43[/sup]
I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
[sup]44[/sup] “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
[sup]45[/sup] “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.

It's one of those things you never forget in life. I just wanted to post that here just to get it off my chest and to maybe help someone who may deal with a situation in the future.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
It's rare when I give people like this money any more. I remember the time I gave money to someone with a bloody face sitting on a park bench. Later I passed him and his friends on the same bench hitting on a bottle of booze. Then there was the guy who told me he was so hungry. I gave, and then watched as he walked past the food place. Begging has basically become a street-corner cottage industry, staffed to a large degree by alcoholics and people who don't want to work. They even have to get licensed in some places. A compassionate heart is good. But when approached by these people now. I either say no, or try to direct them to a shelter where they can get their legitimate needs met.

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
It's rare when I give people like this money any more. I remember the time I gave money to someone with a bloody face sitting on a park bench. Later I passed him and his friends on the same bench hitting on a bottle of booze. Then there was the guy who told me he was so hungry. I gave, and then watched as he walked past the food place. Begging has basically become a street-corner cottage industry, staffed to a large degree by alcoholics and people who don't want to work. They even have to get licensed in some places. A compassionate heart is good. But when approached by these people now. I either say no, or try to direct them to a shelter where they can get their legitimate needs met.

That's one of the reasons I used to justify not giving any money. I know what you mean about the people on the side of the freeway with the signs, but I made a promise to God that if I was ever in that situation again, I would keep my mind from any assumptions and just give what I can. I'd rather give foolishly, than to live with unnecessary guilt.

HeRoseFromTheDead

Not So Advanced Member
Jan 6, 2012
That's one of the reasons I used to justify not giving any money. I know what you mean about the people on the side of the freeway with the signs, but I made a promise to God that if I was ever in that situation again, I would keep my mind from any assumptions and just give what I can. I'd rather give foolishly, than to live with unnecessary guilt.

Yeah, guilt's no good. Maybe instead of giving them money to feed an addiction you could find novel ways to give them what they actually need?

Lively Stone

Jan 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
A good idea is to think ahead and always carry with you a booklet of coupons for the ubiquitous doughnut/coffee shop located at nearly every corner of every city. You can tear off one and bless a person with a meal that way! The memory of what we have ever done in the past which was not glorifying to God is never held against us, and the act itself is completely wiped away from God's mind, as if we have never done it! That is what our justification in Jesus does, praise God!

Redeemed, you can rejoice that through that past act God has made you very sensitive to those in need, and God can give you great ideas as to how to meet needs of those who you meet who have really dire and immediate needs that you can fulfill! This is the work of Christ, and you have a heart for this!

God bless you!

Reactions: Redeemed86

Redeemed86

Oct 14, 2011
A good idea is to think ahead and always carry with you a booklet of coupons for the ubiquitous doughnut/coffee shop located at nearly every corner of every city. You can tear off one and bless a person with a meal that way! The memory of what we have ever done in the past which was not glorifying to God is never held against us, and the act itself is completely wiped away from God's mind, as if we have never done it! That is what our justification in Jesus does, praise God!

Redeemed, you can rejoice that through that past act God has made you very sensitive to those in need, and God can give you great ideas as to how to meet needs of those who you meet who have really dire and immediate needs that you can fulfill! This is the work of Christ, and you have a heart for this!

God bless you!

Thank you for your encouraging post and insight, Lively. :)

It really does help to just shine a light on certain troubles instead of trying to keep them tucked and hidden away. I feel lighter already. :)

Hollyrock

Nov 17, 2011
USA
I had an experience a few years back, now a memory, that I won't ever forget but I will share here. One morning I needed quarters for the laundry machine in my building and all I had was bills, so I headed up the street to a change machine. As I was putting the first dollar in the machine, I saw in the reflection what looked like a homeless man coming toward me from across the street. It was the first time that had happened so i didn't know what to do. I just kept putting the rest of the dollars in and hoped the "stupid slow machine" would hurry up.

He reached me before the rest of the quarters came out and asked If I could spare any money. I was nervous and just said no (as I put the last dollar in the machine). He walked away and as soon as he left I got the worst conviction that I had done the wrong thing. I lied to him about not having any extra money because I didn't want to have to withdraw more money and come back the next day.

The conviction only got worse as the day went on, and I couldn't help but feel extremely selfish and wonder if the man had anything to eat. All I cared about at that moment was the inconvenience it would have caused me and not about what he must experience everyday, having to walk up to strangers and ask for money.

This was before I turned to God, and even though I asked for God's forgiveness, I can help but think that he was sent by God to test me. Especially after reading this passage:

Matthew 25:43-45

[sup]43[/sup]
I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.’
[sup]44[/sup] “They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’
[sup]45[/sup] “He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.

It's one of those things you never forget in life. I just wanted to post that here just to get it off my chest and to maybe help someone who may deal with a situation in the future.
I have a similiar story...quite a few years ago, I was stopped at a red light when a man came up to my car and asked me for some money. I told him no without even thinking about it. But I started feeling convicted as soon as I pulled off and I tried to suppress it as much as I could plus, I was on my way out of town at the time and I did'nt have time to be worried about this stranger interfering with my schedule. But by the time I reached the bridge, I had to pass it by so that I could try to find this man. I found him and gave him some money. I immediately felt so much better and I knew that I did'nt ever want to make that same mistake again.

Reactions: Lively Stone

justaname

Disciple of Jesus Christ
Mar 14, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I like Lively Stone's idea. I give most every time I am asked, but I am not always prepared. I am not saying I am some kind of hero or anything, because honestly I am giving out of abundance. Most of us do not know what it is to be hungry, to have a mind that can not function properly because of starvation.
Scripturally I will give this.
James 2:16