Holy Spirit......Christians ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

theQuestion

Oct 30, 2017
seattle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How does claiming to possess the H/S make anyone a Christian when John was filled with the Holy Spirit from his mother's womb[Lk 1:13] but was not a Christian for the least Christian was greater than he[Lk 7:28] - twinc

First, any servant of God had God's Breath ("spirit"), such as the prophets of old.
Second, anyone TODAY having God's Spirit (not 'Holy Ghost') IS a Christian, otherwise would not be guided by it.

DicipleofJesus

Oct 20, 2017
Montreal, Quebec
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I'm wary of many people who make that claim. Along with many other spiritual like claims. Any body can make such claims. But some of them make such claims to lower our guard. And then they go about doing a number on us, because they are wolves In sheep's clothing. We are to be shrewd as serpents and Innocent as doves. Check the fruit they yeild. You will know them by their fruit.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
First, any servant of God had God's Breath ("spirit"), such as the prophets of old.
Second, anyone TODAY having God's Spirit (not 'Holy Ghost') IS a Christian, otherwise would not be guided by it.
What is the difference as you understand it between God's Spirit and the Holy Ghost [or Holy Spirit]? God is certainly holy [set apart] and the Spirit is really the same as the Ghost. In modern English the two words may have developed different connotations, but they are the same in scripture. In the Spanish the word Espíritu is always used for the English Spirit or Ghost whereas in German the word Geist is always used for the same two English words. The Spanish word has the same effective origin as Spirit whereas the German word has the same effective origin as Ghost.

theQuestion

Oct 30, 2017
seattle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What is the difference as you understand it between God's Spirit and the Holy Ghost [or Holy Spirit]? God is certainly holy [set apart] and the Spirit is really the same as the Ghost. In modern English the two words may have developed different connotations, but they are the same in scripture. In the Spanish the word Espíritu is always used for the English Spirit or Ghost whereas in German the word Geist is always used for the same two English words. The Spanish word has the same effective origin as Spirit whereas the German word has the same effective origin as Ghost.

"GHOST", in English, is a reference of an 'immortal soul' returning to haunt.
The Catholic Church had ruach & pneuma (meaning "bis contrary to scripture!reath/wind") translated as "Ghost" to mystify the superstitious population.
God chose "breath/wind" to illustrate what is unseen; the very form/bodies of the beings in Heaven and "the Power" that He sends forth to do His will.

Anything else

Reactions: mjrhealth

theQuestion

Oct 30, 2017
seattle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
After being raised a Catholic, I have had to TRAIN myself to think:

"Breath or Wind" when reading spirit.
"Grave" when reading Hell/Hades/Sheol
"Breathing Creature" when reading "soul", etc.

Then, in time, as it sunk in and connected to every such reference in scripture, training is no longer needed!

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom

Then, in time, as it sunk in and connected to every such reference in scripture, training is no longer needed!

it seems you still have not succeeded - not once was Holy mentioned and most prefer and certainly have the Spirit or Ghost that is not holy
btw speeding can be a grave offence and no breathing creature breathes - twinc

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I grew up Catholic, but I began to learn to think when I went to university some years later. When I started reading the Bible and received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit years after that I had get rid of much of what I had learned in school in order to be taught correctly by the Spirit of God.

Except that the "breathing" part should not be in reference to the intake of Oxygen which is a carnal necessity and only a type or shadow of the Spirit [Breath or Wind] of which you speak.

Training continues to be needed so long as we continue to fail at all in any measure.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
It will continue if you try to make church dogma gel with scripture...
hmm. By inference you are saying that if i do not try to reconcile church dogma with Scripture, that dying to self will somehow get easier, and i doubt this tbh. The lessons now are those that i could not even consider 20 years ago--allowing a Judas into my life, basically knowing the cost beforehand, stuff like that--so, harder, but at the same time easier.

theQuestion

Oct 30, 2017
seattle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Not at ALL!
Haven't you read Jesus' many condemnations of Tradition?
It applies just as much to OUR Day as to HIS, bbyrd009.

twinc

Apr 3, 2011
Faith
Country
United Kingdom
I grew up Catholic, but I began to learn to think when I went to university some years later. When I started reading the Bible and received the Baptism of the Holy Spirit years after that I had get rid of much of what I had learned in school in order to be taught correctly by the Spirit of God.

Except that the "breathing" part should not be in reference to the intake of Oxygen which is a carnal necessity and only a type or shadow of the Spirit [Breath or Wind] of which you speak.

Training continues to be needed so long as we continue to fail at all in any measure.

we should not speak of what we do not know as if we do - Jn.14:17 - twinc

theQuestion

Oct 30, 2017
seattle
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, do you think God, who Himself is a Spirit, has a Fellow Spirit- a Nameless Ghost-God?

DicipleofJesus

Oct 20, 2017
Montreal, Quebec
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
People who have not turned around are nonbelievers, not christians. Christians are people who identify with the Lord and do everything in their power to follow in His footsteps.
Is that implication?
Are YOU guided by God's Breath?
"GHOST", in English, is a reference of an 'immortal soul' returning to haunt.
The Catholic Church had ruach & pneuma (meaning "bis contrary to scripture!reath/wind") translated as "Ghost" to mystify the superstitious population.
God chose "breath/wind" to illustrate what is unseen; the very form/bodies of the beings in Heaven and "the Power" that He sends forth to do His will.

Anything else