Home Labs

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Home labs? I guess I am out of the loop on what that means. I am former law enforcement, so when someone says they have a lab at home it raises an eyebrow.

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
Doug_E_Fresh said:
Do any of you have home labs?
My entire property is a bio-lab! The pond, the trees, the critters... the ants!

Why are you asking this question?

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is a homelab: http://imgur.com/clFPCTp

I'm talking about computer equipment that you run at home in either hardware or software (like VMWare). I'm soon going to start building a homelab for my Security+, CEH, and CCNA Security certifications. I was asking if anyone runs a reddit.com/homelab for their projects. This website for example, is probably run from a home lab since the license for the software has been bought to put on someone's web server.

DogLady19

Apr 15, 2015
Doug_E_Fresh said:

I'm talking about computer equipment that you run at home in either hardware or software (like VMWare). I'm soon going to start building a homelab for my Security+, CEH, and CCNA Security certifications. I was asking if anyone runs a reddit.com/homelab for their projects. This website for example, is probably run from a home lab since the license for the software has been bought to put on someone's web server.
Thanks for the clarification! My son most likely has all that, but I'm just a user...

And No, Born_Again. Not THAT kinda user! LOL

Reactions: Born_Again

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Doug_E_Fresh said:

All I have is a router/modem, a desktop, two laptops, 3 tablets and about a half dozen smart phones. Not sure why someone would want this at their home?

Born_Again

Nov 5, 2014
US
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
DogLady19 said:
Thanks for the clarification! My son most likely has all that, but I'm just a user...

And No, Born_Again. Not THAT kinda user! LOL
Ohhhh okay.. LOL :p

HammerStone

Staff member
Feb 12, 2006
South Carolina
prayerforums.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I had an office, one. Then I had my first child.

[Correction: My wife had our first child.]

We hope to move into a new home sometime in the future. I will have another office probably with a combination library. Nothing fancy, but a nice man cave with something a little better than TV and pool. I've only got one old server (and I'm talking o-l-d). I mostly use tools at work, but I'd definitely like to setup a few basics to play with at home!

StanJ

Lifelong student of God's Word.
May 13, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
HammerStone said:
I had an office, one. Then I had my first child.

[Correction: My wife had our first child.]

We hope to move into a new home sometime in the future. I will have another office probably with a combination library. Nothing fancy, but a nice man cave with something a little better than TV and pool. I've only got one old server (and I'm talking o-l-d). I mostly use tools at work, but I'd definitely like to setup a few basics to play with at home!
LOL..yeh we got that Hammer. ;)

pom2014

Dec 6, 2014
OH you mean a server farm or LAN.

When I think computer lab I am thinking many clients and servers set up for instruction or programming. A thing that would be pretty much useful ONLY if you are setting up classes or are up to hacking systems.

Doug_E_Fresh

gяελ нατ jεsμs ƒяεακ
Dec 7, 2013
Pennsylvania
dswdoctrine.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@POM I don't mean a server farm. or a LAN. A server farm is meant to use multiple servers for a task, like a SAN or a data center and anyone with a router has a LAN.

It is as many clients and servers as you want in order to do what you want it to do.. like instruction or learning.

As an example, mine is going to have this in it:
2 x pfSense Routers
1 x DC
1 x Server running LDAP (for linux AD authentication)
5 ~ x Clients: 3 Windows/ 2 Linux
1 x Vulnerable web server (Webgoat)
3 ~ x Vulnerable clients (WinXP, Metasploitable, DamnVulnerable Linux)
1 x Kali linux machine
... maybe more... ?

Additionally I have a NAS set up from a usb external drive to send and receive files over sftp to family/ friends when i go to their house and they want pictures on their devices.
That's what I'm thinking of for now. Eventually I'd like to open up my lab to people who can remote in, and mess with stuff but I don't have the money to build the VM hardware to handle all the ram and storage(mainly). I'll throw up a diagram of my full home network of what I want it to look like if you want. :) I'll use gliffy or dia if you've ever heard of that.

Additionally I have a NAS set up from a usb external drive to send and receive files over sftp to family/ friends when i go to their house and they want pictures on their devices.