Homelessness, why is it a crime

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,
I have just watched a tv documentary on Slab city in California, and indirectly I discovered that in the US it is considered illegal to be homeless and you are chucked in jail if you found to be homeless……..why ?
Homelessness is not a crime, it’s the end result of so many things.
What is the crime based on !?
Who decided it was a crime !?
So when and if you see a homeless person, a person often in need, do you look upon them as a criminal !?
Must admit I don’t get it………….
Help me to understand ..
Is it the same in Canada , Australia , New Zealand ?
Rita

Ronald Nolette

Aug 24, 2020
South Carolina
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi everyone,
I have just watched a tv documentary on Slab city in California, and indirectly I discovered that in the US it is considered illegal to be homeless and you are chucked in jail if you found to be homeless……..why ?
So when and if you see a homeless person, a person often in need, do you look upon them as a criminal !?
Help me to understand ..
Rita

Simply put: it is a crime because a town or city passed a law making it a crime. That is different than the argument of whether it should be a crime.

Reactions: atpollard

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That’s the bit I don’t understand, why a town or city ( or country ) decides it is illegal. ……..
I just can’t fathom out what grounds they would have to consider it a crime.

Looking For info , it seems uncertain , and yet many of the people on this program talked about concealing there homelessness but when they were discovered they were incarcerated for being homeless.
So, perhaps members here from the States can relay whether they see homeless people on the streets or not.

Last edited:

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi everyone,
Help me to understand ..
Rita
An underlying aspect is the resentment of affluent neighbourhoods against immigrants or people of a much lower economic status.

The sub-text of this is the complex relationship between the United States and Latin America and its rhetorical part in election discourse.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That’s the bit I don’t understand, why a town or city ( or country ) decides it is illegal. ……..
I just can’t fathom out what grounds they would have to consider it a crime.

Looking For info , it seems uncertain , and yet many of the people on this program talked about concealing there homelessness but when they were discovered they were incarcerated for being homeless.
So, perhaps members here from the States can relay whether they see homeless people on the streets or not.

You either work, or you get out!

Government / State rules as law instated, can not do much against it, other than push through again for the Law to make it not illegal.

In California I believe there is a place so bad with Meth, that if you are found with meth on you, you get slap on the wrist and a ticket to go pay and you keep your meth.

Crazy but it simply us living in the Fallen World, Rita.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
An underlying aspect is the resentment of affluent neighbourhoods against immigrants or people of a much lower economic status.

The sub-text of this is the complex relationship between the United States and Latin America and its rhetorical part in election discourse.
So, are you saying that it’s the affluent people who are voting to make it illegal, in other words it’s a race and class issue ?

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Over here we use to have a law against suicide, but if you survived you got the death penalty !!!! ( how weird is that )

Reactions: DuckieLady

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Over here we use to have a law against suicide, but if you survived you got the death penalty !!!! ( how weird is that )

Crazy! Thank you for bringing up the subject.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
So, are you saying that it’s the affluent people who are voting to make it illegal, in other words it’s a race and class issue ?
@Rita There are those underlying factors, woven sometimes obscurely into the matter......

(I was just preparing another post which is related to what you asked...)

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
So, out of interest, over here local churches and charities support the homeless as much as they can - does that happen in the US

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So, out of interest, over here local churches and charities support the homeless as much as they can - does that happen in the US
Hello Rita,
Yes sometimes, it just depends on the community of the believers. We have Salvation Army, there is a place not to far away that will give food out every Thursday night for those who are in need of food called the Well.

What about where you are from?

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The reason some municipalities declare homelessness a crime is probably because so many homeless people are getting involved into criminal activity. Our church works with homeless people to get them back on their feet. However its a difficult job, specially when they are hooked to drugs. Our church feeds the homeless, takes them to the doctor if required etc etc.

Reactions: DuckieLady and Rita

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
@Rita I just put on the other thread a related post which shows that for some US officials it seems they even think that they own the skin of those whom they decide to deport.

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you, many posts reassure me. The documentary gave the impression that it was purely being homeless that was a crime.
We have a mixture of issues with homelessness, and yes, some of them can be linked to criminal activity. Many of the local churches where I love support the homeless, there are many charities that will endeavour to provide for them in some way.
Rita

Reactions: TLHKAJ

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Thank you, many posts reassure me. The documentary gave the impression that it was purely being homeless that was a crime.
We have a mixture of issues with homelessness, and yes, some of them can be linked to criminal activity. Many of the local churches where I love support the homeless, there are many charities that will endeavour to provide for them in some way.
Rita
@Rita It's related to perceptions of socio-economic status.

DuckieLady

Jan 8, 2021
Midwest-ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi everyone,
Help me to understand ..
Rita
In my home state, there's a city where it is a crime to sit down in public in order to make it impossible for the homeless to rest/sleep anywhere.

It kind of ticked me off honestly, because what happens if an elderly person just needs to rest a minute? You just force them to keep moving?

Ridiculous.

My old church helped out the homeless. I actually got married (yeah, old life) in a church used to serve the homeless.

They fed people after every service and they could get coffee during. Then down the street they had a soup kitchen and across from that they had a free clothing store. People could donate what they could to pay for it, but they could get what they needed.

A lot of places a person can get vouchers for a motel during the winter and there are other shelters, but they are difficult to get into because sometimes they are so full.

And there was a church group where for a few hundred you could live by their rules and rent a room. Not my thing. Seemed really, really strict.

Angelina

Prayer Warrior
Staff member
Admin
Feb 4, 2011
New Zealand
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand
Hi everyone,
Help me to understand ..
Rita
No not the same here in NZ. I don't know why people can make being homeless a criminal offence. It's a tragedy...

Reactions: TLHKAJ

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
In my home state, there's a city where it is a crime to sit down in public in order to make it impossible for the homeless to rest/sleep anywhere.

It kind of ticked me off honestly, because what happens if an elderly person just needs to rest a minute? You just force them to keep moving?

Ridiculous.

My old church helped out the homeless. I actually got married (yeah, old life) in a church used to serve the homeless.

They fed people after every service and they could get coffee during. Then down the street they had a soup kitchen and across from that they had a free clothing store. People could donate what they could to pay for it, but they could get what they needed.

A lot of places a person can get vouchers for a motel during the winter and there are other shelters, but they are difficult to get into because sometimes they are so full.

And there was a church group where for a few hundred you could live by their rules and rent a room. Not my thing. Seemed really, really strict.
It’s a crime to sit down in public - that is crazy !
We do have an issue with homeless being outside shops ect, but they are not moved on unless they are causing a problem. Yes, we have the same issue with hostels ect but in the winter months if the the temp goes below freezing public buildings are opened up for the homeless to stay at night.
Rita

Desire Of All Nations

Jun 23, 2021
Troy
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
It's not really weird when you consider the fact that attempts to commit suicide technically makes a person guilty of attempting murder.

Lifelong_sinner

Sep 21, 2021
Somewhere in time
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi everyone,
Help me to understand ..
Rita

around here, you see homeless people everyday, standing with a cardboard sign at the corners near stoplights. Most of them are legit homeless, but some…. Well after they get their days worth of begging in, they go back to their car and drive to their houses. :mad: