Horror Movies

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Alison_P

May 12, 2018
Melbourne
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Is it a sin to watch Horror movies? I admit that I tend to watch them sometimes and actually enjoy watching some of them, of course for entertainment purposes only but lately, I guess you could say that since I decided to recommit my life to Christ, I have been unsure about whether I should keep watching them or not. As much as I enjoy watching some Horror movies, apart of me feels that it's not something that our Lord would approve of and that it would displease God. Are my instincts about Horror movies right or am I just overthinking it?

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
You are right, I don't think they are your instincts, but it's probably the Holy Spirit inside of you letting you know. That unsureness and something not feeling quite right about horror movies is the Lord trying to tell something to your heart. If you feel it's not right in the sight of God, then obey that voice. Horror movies may be made up by actors, but the spirits behind them are real and the spirits behind them are demonic. There are spiritual dangers in watching horrors.

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

APAK

Feb 4, 2018
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Is it a sin to watch Horror movies? I admit that I tend to watch them sometimes and actually enjoy watching some of them, of course for entertainment purposes only but lately, I guess you could say that since I decided to recommit my life to Christ, I have been unsure about whether I should keep watching them or not. As much as I enjoy watching some Horror movies, apart of me feels that it's not something that our Lord would approve of and that it would displease God. Are my instincts about Horror movies right or am I just overthinking it?

Alison…

Horror movies in the 60s and 70s were much tamer and more innocent. Today they are much viler, and clearly their intentions are more sinister and evil. Allow the Spirit of God to guide you away from them. They can only stifle and stunt your spiritual growth.

On a personal note, my wife and I have two grown men now. They both have families of their own. Both became obsessed with Dungeons and Dragons when they were teenagers. They progressed with evil board and simulated war games since then, till today. I count or attribute this one area that caused separation and distanced both from us over the years. They are even instructing their own children to play these evil games and keeps them in this state of terror and horror. And we thought they were grown up as men of true believers in Christ. We were fooled indeed.

Anything that brings horror, hate, human carnage and war into your life and heart are destructive forces designed to tear you down. A child of God should steer clear of such devices and environments immediately. Pray for guidance and a way out if you ‘feel’ you are ‘caught.’

Bless you,

APAK

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

FHII

Apr 9, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
While I do agree with APAK that there is a demonic spirit behind such, I do have somewhat of a different perspective.

First, what genre of movies would you like to watch if you stop watching horror? Its tough to find a movie that doesn't have some form of evil connected to it. Not always violence, either. Even Disney and the superhero movies (Disney actually owns the Marvel movie rights). Why, I can even show you evil in Winnie the Pooh! My point is that evil and sin are jyst as dangerous without violence.

Second, if they serve any good beyond entertainment, it would be to serve as a warning and a reminder of the wyles of these demons. APAK is right... We don't have the wolfman, Frankenstein and Dracula (all which may not be as gory, but are still just as evil), today the monsters are us! Humans.

Weak reason... I know. But if they are evil, note what form the evil is manifesting itself in.

Third... You aren't actually rooting for the monster, are you? You recognize it (evil), don't you? If so I suggest you are somewhat immune to it.

Nonetheless... If you are moved to stop watching, by all means it is the right choice. If you are struggling with it, stop! They certainly don't edify Jesus. And if they are a thorne to you... Simply take the thorne out.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

For what it is worth, I have often thought, how can God look upon all the evil that is done every day throughout the whole world? Why do I think this? Because once you lived long enough to see and experience the evil of the world, you don't want to view it. It is too painful. How can He view it?

Yet, I know, the sacrifice of His Son, will be forever recorded. Do we think we can record things and God can't? Does He view it? How could He? That would be a horror too much to observe.

Movies are but entertainment. Nothing wrong with that. When they touch on things you cannot watch...you know.

Stranger

Frank Lee

Feb 23, 2017
Ouachita Mountains
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Why would you want to watch the evil they create? You should do everything possible to unburden your spirit. Don't foolishly add to your load. It's a temptation to flee from.

It's not a matter of sin or not. It's like saying how close can I get to the edge. See how far you can get away from it.

If you suffer enough self imposed affliction in your life you'll learn to flee temptation.

Isaiah 59:12 KJVS
For our transgressions are multiplied before thee, and our sins testify against us: for our transgressions are with us; and as for our iniquities, we know them;.

teamventure

Sep 6, 2011
Alison, my mom has watched horror films for a few years now. Now there is a demonic spirit manifested in her house. I feel it's presance whenever I visit and she has asked me to get rid of it. Horror films are not only sin but Satans tools to bring strongholds into your life which we must fight against. Watching horror films is inviting the enemy right into your life. Literally.

Truth

May 31, 2017
AZ, Quartzsite
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I have read the responses in this thread thus far, and I Agree with all of them, one thing not mentioned is that all movie's are made by people in Hollywood, and they only make movie's that the mainstream population want's to see, They are not out to make movie's that are Wholesome, with any morality. So as to promote their way, just look at how these movie star's live, Booze, drugs, promiscuity, infidelity, and they are Idolized by the world! As these Producer's make movie's they are rely desensitizing, and deceiving the masses to except what they want to promote. The Main Thing is to Recognize what Spirit Rule's these Men and Women, both Producer's and Actor's. It is almost Impossible to find any movie that doesn't have some form of Wickedness. Let your heart and Spirit lead.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Alison, we are to be as careful of the movies we watch as we are the books we read and the friends we make. We need exposure to peaceful, harmonious and reassuring influences around us. Do not deliberately expose yourself to Satan’s methods of entrapment.

LC627

May 11, 2018
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Growing up in the 90s ( I know I'm young, lol) the horror series "Scream" was huge and I've seen the movies many times. As I've grown in my faith I do not watch horror movies anymore. There are demonic doorways we can invite things we don't want around. What pleasure is there in seeing people get killed, harmed, and all the torture that seems to fill these movies?

I believe that you're on the right track in seeking advice and I encourage you to always listen to what the Lord places on your spirit. God is leading you in truth and righteousness. :)

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Is it a sin to watch Horror movies?
Yes.

EPHESIANS 5
8 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:
9 (For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth)
10 Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.
11 And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.
12 For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.