Another rant, of mine, against the Hallmark type Christmas movies.

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Year after year, since I first discovered them I have been more and more watching the "Hallmark" type Christmas movies.

It has been a progressive annoyance from those who had to have a town celebration in a barn in a two week period of time and where it had to be cleared of the animals, cleaned of the straw, and decorated... right up to their "Hallmarks" progressiveness into more and more woke.

It was with happiness that I learned that one of the big wigs at Hallmark left and the Great American Family Christmas movies were birthed and many of the stars on Hallmarks payroll jumped ship to the new GAF.

We were not given GAF by Verizon until last year, but the movies were fresh and not embarrassing to have my mom watch them.

Finally it seems as if Hallmark has seen the light from GAF and also UP and has toned the woke down.
Though I will more often check out Up and GAF before anything Hallmark these days.
Once bitten and the sting remains.... I guess.

But I have another peeve and this one is seen all over the place.

You have a silly Christmas movie only centered on romance.

People reunited from high school, or people who meet for the first time.... each and every single one of those movies is a romance. A Christmas romance.....

Except for one last year on GAF with Candace Cameron Bure ....."A Christmas... Present"

If you get a chance... this one IS worth watching.

Anyway...

I actually find it so offensive when they get through the fru fru of these shows and at the end the "boy" asks "the girl" to dance... in response to her saying "I love this song", or "This is my favorite" and they end up romantically slow dancing to a christmas hymn... Especially like one that came on this morning
we all know... Silent Night.

What a smack in the face to our Savior.

So now there will be weeks and months on unviewable television because the other garbage that is on is not worth watching.

OKAY... Off my rant

knothead

Sep 29, 2023
Tn
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Im glad she is gone too. Have you seen Finding Normal it on u tube stars Candance. Also have you seen any Jefferson Moore movies. Hallmark did make some good mystery movies.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Im glad she is gone too. Have you seen Finding Normal it on u tube stars Candance. Also have you seen any Jefferson Moore movies. Hallmark did make some good mystery movies.
There has been a channel here showing nothing but Christmas films since September. Most of them are not very good. I do like a good seasonal/festive film but much nearer to Christmas. I like 'The Holiday' and 'Love Actually' as well as the golden oldies like 'A Christmas Carol' and 'Miracle on 34th Street'.

What are some of your favourites.

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There has been a channel here showing nothing but Christmas films since September. Most of them are not very good. I do like a good seasonal/festive film but much nearer to Christmas. I like 'The Holiday' and 'Love Actually' as well as the golden oldies like 'A Christmas Carol' and 'Miracle on 34th Street'.

My favorites,

It's a Wonderful Life (All time favorite movie, any catagory)
Christmas Child (Steven Curtis Chapman)
The Perfect Gift (Jefferson Moore)
Christmas Snow (Katherine Helmond)

Much love!

knothead

Sep 29, 2023
Tn
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I named a couple in my post, Im only using u tube also coffee shop and the Christmas angel are good

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My favorites,

It's a Wonderful Life (All time favorite movie, any catagory)
Christmas Child (Steven Curtis Chapman)
The Perfect Gift (Jefferson Moore)
Christmas Snow (Katherine Helmond)

Much love!
Apart from the first one I haven't heard of any of the others.

Reactions: knothead

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Year after year, since I first discovered them I have been more and more watching the "Hallmark" type Christmas movies.

It has been a progressive annoyance from those who had to have a town celebration in a barn in a two week period of time and where it had to be cleared of the animals, cleaned of the straw, and decorated... right up to their "Hallmarks" progressiveness into more and more woke.

It was with happiness that I learned that one of the big wigs at Hallmark left and the Great American Family Christmas movies were birthed and many of the stars on Hallmarks payroll jumped ship to the new GAF.

We were not given GAF by Verizon until last year, but the movies were fresh and not embarrassing to have my mom watch them.

Finally it seems as if Hallmark has seen the light from GAF and also UP and has toned the woke down.
Though I will more often check out Up and GAF before anything Hallmark these days.

People reunited from high school, or people who meet for the first time.... each and every single one of those movies is a romance. A Christmas romance.....

Except for one last year on GAF with Candace Cameron Bure ....."A Christmas... Present"

Anyway...

I actually find it so offensive when they get through the fru fru of these shows and at the end the "boy" asks "the girl" to dance... in response to her saying "I love this song", or "This is my favorite" and they end up romantically slow dancing to a christmas hymn... Especially like one that came on this morning

So now there will be weeks and months on unviewable television because the other garbage that is on is not worth watching.

OKAY... Off my rant
I saw a good Hallmark movie once, "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" (the original movie).

Rita

Staff member
Dec 20, 2020
South
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I heard of Hallmark greetings cards but not films/movies.
I think there is a Hallmark channel Pearl, think I had it when I had sky.
I must admit I use to watch quite a few of them, but like most films they have a format and are very much predictable.
I hear they are doing a love actually 2
I watched ‘ The holiday ‘ the other day , they are making a follow up of that one as well.

Cassandra

Sep 24, 2021
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Oh, I love a Christmas Carol with Alastair sim, Going My way (hey we used to watch it around Christmas) and the usual secular christmas movies. (Elf, A Christmas story, the Grinch and the one with the Flintstones)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I think there is a Hallmark channel Pearl, think I had it when I had sky.
I must admit I use to watch quite a few of them, but like most films they have a format and are very much predictable.
I hear they are doing a love actually 2
I watched ‘ The holiday ‘ the other day , they are making a follow up of that one as well.
Thanks Rita, I don't have sky. 'The Holiday' is one of my favourite seasonal films.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I heard of Hallmark greetings cards but not films/movies.
We get (at least) two Hallmark cable TV channels, The Hallmark Channel and the Hallmark Murders and Mysteries Channel. You will have to move to the USA so you can get them. (I seldom watch them.)

Reactions: Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
We get (at least) two Hallmark cable TV channels, The Hallmark Channel and the Hallmark Murders and Mysteries Channel. You will have to move to the USA so you can get them. (I seldom watch them.)
I don't need any more channels as I don't watch that much TV. I prefer to read.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I saw a good Hallmark movie once, "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" (the original movie).
Might be an USA thing.

There are 3.

Hallmark, Hallmark Movies and Mysteries, and Hallmark Drama. Usually only the regular Hallmark and Movies and mysteries run Christmas 24/7 from now up through New Years.

About 3 years ago an exec from Hallmark left them... took a lot of the actors and actresses
with him and started the Great American Family Channel... which also is now doing 24/7 Christmas movies.

A lot of people were getting upset with the Hallmark one cause they were not exactly woke but a lot of mixed marriages or mixed boyfriend/girlfriend or same sex...

It was the same sex that got me checking out what the movies were about cause I just do not like seeing same sex sneaking kisses in the background type thing. But that is just me.

It did seem, until that man left that they were headed toward trans.

Rella ~ I am a woman

Jul 27, 2023
SW PA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Movies and Mysteries is one of my favorites.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Might be an USA thing.

There are 3.

Hallmark, Hallmark Movies and Mysteries, and Hallmark Drama. Usually only the regular Hallmark and Movies and mysteries run Christmas 24/7 from now up through New Years.

About 3 years ago an exec from Hallmark left them... took a lot of the actors and actresses
with him and started the Great American Family Channel... which also is now doing 24/7 Christmas movies.

A lot of people were getting upset with the Hallmark one cause they were not exactly woke but a lot of mixed marriages or mixed boyfriend/girlfriend or same sex...

It was the same sex that got me checking out what the movies were about cause I just do not like seeing same sex sneaking kisses in the background type thing. But that is just me.

It did seem, until that man left that they were headed toward trans.
The same-sex thing would have really turned me off.

Bob

Sep 23, 2023
Tucson, AZ
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Anyway...

OKAY... Off my rant
Thank you for your thoughtful post.

I agree with most of your comments, especially regarding the cultural decline of Hallmark movies (Hallmark being one of many in today’s corporate world). Perhaps to be expected when leadership has abandoned God?

So, if you were the CEO of a company that made a lot of romantic and rom/com movies, how would yours differ? Different plots? Characters that prayed to give thanks to God as well as to ask for help from God? Other? Might they be modeled after the Book of Ruth or instead the Book of Esther?

Some past Hallmark movies with religion woven in: “Christmas in Seven Fall,” in which Rachel Boston plays a visiting angel (heresy?); “Shoe Addict‘s Christmas,” in which C C Bure is visited by a guardian angel; “Double Holiday,” in which one of the main characters, who is Jewish, must plan a Christmas party (and we learn lots about Hanukah).

Peace and Blessings.