House Churches

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
What about issues of authority?

If it is plural authority and spiritual authority the is inclusive of listening for the heartbeat of The Lord in what everyone has to say...then Amen.
In our Home Church we had authority = Order.
That is the only authority that is needed...leadership wise enough to know the leading of God's voice, and who can gently bring a meeting that is wiggling off the track back on track...
Some new Christians get a bit over enthusiastic in sharing "what they think God said"....be it a short word or a prophesy...
Obviously if it doesn't line up with the scriptures or a wee bit "off in the left field"...
The way my husband "covered that" was by saying after the person had finished ..."What our brother here was trying to say was..." and he would gently correct what had not been correct. Then after the meeting we'd take the brother or sister aside and show them the clarity and teach then how to sift what they share and keep it scriptural and a little less of the fleshly enthusiasm. :)
If correction is not gentle and kind, then it can shut down that new christian from even desiring to share anything in a meeting.
But, if , and I guess maybe you are...a believer that like one man believing he has 'the whole word of God' for a service in his pocket, and that all the body of Christ are to do is listen....then you wouldn't at all feel comfortable in a Home Church meeting. :)

Bless you....H

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If it is plural authority and spiritual authority the is inclusive of listening for the heartbeat of The Lord in what everyone has to say...then Amen.
In our Home Church we had authority = Order.
That is the only authority that is needed...leadership wise enough to know the leading of God's voice, and who can gently bring a meeting that is wiggling off the track back on track...
Some new Christians get a bit over enthusiastic in sharing "what they think God said"....be it a short word or a prophesy...
Obviously if it doesn't line up with the scriptures or a wee bit "off in the left field"...
The way my husband "covered that" was by saying after the person had finished ..."What our brother here was trying to say was..." and he would gently correct what had not been correct. Then after the meeting we'd take the brother or sister aside and show them the clarity and teach then how to sift what they share and keep it scriptural and a little less of the fleshly enthusiasm. :)
If correction is not gentle and kind, then it can shut down that new christian from even desiring to share anything in a meeting.
But, if , and I guess maybe you are...a believer that like one man believing he has 'the whole word of God' for a service in his pocket, and that all the body of Christ are to do is listen....then you wouldn't at all feel comfortable in a Home Church meeting. :)

Bless you....H

I used to attend a house church. I think it can be a good experience. I do see drawbacks, as well. For me, it is not about one man holding the whole world of God in his pocket, at all; which is the reason I prefer doctrinal accountability in a hierarchy - we all know this has drawbacks, as well.

Blessings

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The only authority one needs is Christ, but not many desire Him so they choose to follow after men, that is not His doing.

I know that "sounds good". But trouble is, not many ( through lack of teaching) know how to move in the Spirit and hear God's direction.
If it's a free for all...it does however tend to get 'fleshly' ..and some "off the wall person will soon move the meeting off track.
Some just love the sound of their own voice!! o_O

On the other hand I was invited to a home meeting a few houses up from me...I was happy and excited and hoped it would be a good one.
Sadly one man prayed, led something called worship on a guitar he couldn't play...and then he started what he called a bible study.
Needless to say..a few things he said ...my finger went up and I said (nicely) "I'm not convinced that is what that scripture is actually saying..."
Needless to say..what he was "teaching" was out of some book.
I will bless them, but I wont be returning to their little meeting again. :)

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Refusing to meet together as Chrisitans, or in otherwords church, due to fear over corruption, bureaucracy or whatever is like burying the talents entrusted to us.

We meet together to serve, mjr; without fear of imperfection

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are they legitimate churches?
Did the early Church meet in homes of Believers?
Did cities such as Corinth have many churches?
Do house churches have Elders and Deacons, or no leadership at all?
Should house churches eventually meet in a separate building due to increased membership; becoming a house church no longer?
Hi TT,

It depends on what YOU mean by legitimate.
Yes, because they had to meet in secret and it took time to collect money to build Churches.
Corinth and other cities, depending on the population size, probably had several Church buildings but only one Church
House churches can have elders and deacons (leaders) but the majority always rules in house churches so they are not truly leaders.
If the number of people meeting in a house to discuss scripture exceeds what is allowed by law then they should buy a separate building to stay in compliance with the law (occupancy restrictions).

Mary

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Refusing to meet together as Chrisitans, or in otherwords church, due to fear over corruption, bureaucracy or whatever is like burying the talents entrusted to us.
the talents (which at the time were money) that the Catholic church turned into gifts, in order to make the parable work for them? ya, pass, wadr, i can find a better place to serve, myself. Not that i would condemn anyone who wants to work inside the camp, don't get me wrong.

Reactions: amadeus

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
If the number of people meeting in a house to discuss scripture exceeds what is allowed by law then they should buy a separate building to stay in compliance with the law (occupancy restrictions).

Are you saying there are laws how many people you can have in your house to discuss the Bible? I am not aware of any such laws in our area. I can have as many people in my house as I like. :)

Reactions: Helen

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Are you saying there are laws how many people you can have in your house to discuss the Bible? I am not aware of any such laws in our area. I can have as many people in my house as I like. :)
ONE example:
A Phoenix man who violated city zoning laws by hosting a Bible study in the privacy of his home has started serving a 60-day jail sentence for his crimes.

Triumph1300

Jan 11, 2018
Northern British Columbia, Canada
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
ONE example:
A Phoenix man who violated city zoning laws by hosting a Bible study in the privacy of his home has started serving a 60-day jail sentence for his crimes.

Wow. A prime example of government cracking down on christianity.
I wonder if this was a muslim meeting......would they arrest them too?
Or a homosexual meeting?

Good thing I don't live in Phoenix. :)

Looks like persecution already started in Phoenix.

bbyrd009

Groper
Nov 30, 2016
Ute City, COLO
www.facebook.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Wow. A prime example of government cracking down on christianity.
I wonder if this was a muslim meeting......would they arrest them too?
Or a homosexual meeting?

Good thing I don't live in Phoenix. :)

Looks like persecution already started in Phoenix.
well, if you were to go read the details, the truth would clarify a little better i guess
of course the gestapo did not just bust in the second person #OneTooMany arrived, and many warnings were given first, etc

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Hi TT,

It depends on what YOU mean by legitimate.
Yes, because they had to meet in secret and it took time to collect money to build Churches.
Corinth and other cities, depending on the population size, probably had several Church buildings but only one Church
House churches can have elders and deacons (leaders) but the majority always rules in house churches so they are not truly leaders.

Mary

No such laws that I know of.
And I don't know how many House Churches you've been a part of Mary.
But if they believed that 'majority rules' then they obviously were uneducated in Church Order...and The Body Of Christ in action.