How are we to reckon ourselves as being dead to sin?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Which individual in the Bible would you see your character as portraying?
I see myself as king david once called himself . FLEA OF A DOG .
I dont see myself as squat . the truth is the ONLY GOODNESS i have comes from GOD .
My title is WORST of the WORST that was changed by the Grace of GOD .
WOTWTWCBTGOD. Or FOD for short . FLEA OF DOG . I AM NOTHING MY FRIEND .
BUT GOD and HIS CHRIST IS EVERYTHING . May i pattern myself after CHRIST .

Reactions: Marvelloustime

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I dont see myself as squat . the truth is the ONLY GOODNESS i have comes from GOD .
Do you attend a local church, if so what denomination is it. If you don’t mind my asking, I get strong southern Baptist vibes.

Waiting on him

Dec 21, 2018
North America
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I think David had a pretty accurate assessment of himself.

2 Chr. 34:19

Jun 20, 2020
Chester ish
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I believe that when paul said "take every thought captive to obey Christ", he was teaching that, as sin begins in the mind, we can try to nip our sinful thoughts in the bud, that's a good start to overcoming sin.
..It does get easier with practice.

Becoming 'dead' to sin is possible, this side of heaven. Jesus has the power to deliver us from ALL sin(s)
('IF' we sin, we have an advocate with The Father, Jesus Christ The Righteous...praise The Lord For that) But that's a big IF

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Interesting,

I tried to look this up. I could not find it. Can you show me this so I can see what you are seeing?

Thank you

Galatians 1:13-15, Ephesians 2:3, 1 Peter 1:18, 2 Corinthians 1:12, Philippians 3:20
In the KJV it has conversation, in the Lexicon it does not. That may be why you couldn’t find it.
Still in reading there seems to be a difference in the conversation, witness, testimony…for example: when Jesus Christ gave His before Pilate.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Galatians 1:13-15, Ephesians 2:3, 1 Peter 1:18, 2 Corinthians 1:12, Philippians 3:20
In the KJV it has conversation, in the Lexicon it does not. That may be why you couldn’t find it.
Still in reading there seems to be a difference in the conversation, witness, testimony…for example: when Jesus Christ gave His before Pilate.
Gal 1 KJV 13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.
15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,

Eph 2: 3 KJV 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

1 pet 1: KJV 18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

2 cor 1: 12 kjv 12 For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward.

Phil 3: 20: kjv 20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

I do not see anythign about a higher calling. Only that our salvation/conversion is from above, not from the flesh.

Thats not a higher calling per say, it is the cause, please of our conversion, salvation, Being born again from above or from Christ

everyone who is saved is converted from this higher place..

marks

Oct 10, 2018
SoCal USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe that when paul said "take every thought captive to obey Christ", he was teaching that, as sin begins in the mind, we can try to nip our sinful thoughts in the bud, that's a good start to overcoming sin.
..It does get easier with practice.

Becoming 'dead' to sin is possible, this side of heaven. Jesus has the power to deliver us from ALL sin(s)
('IF' we sin, we have an advocate with The Father, Jesus Christ The Righteous...praise The Lord For that) But note the IF
Yes, I agree, that's where the battle takes place, and where it can be won.

I'm learning more and more to recognize the first motion of fleshiness, whether a thought, a feeling, and immediately deny it.

I think that by the time sin is on our lips, or in our actions, we've already relinquished control to the fleshy mind. And then if we think we are thereby condemned, or separated from our Father, that just makes it worse. It's like shutting this door in our minds, shutting God out, because we think He's shut us out, or that He will.

Much love!

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you attend a local church, if so what denomination is it. If you don’t mind my asking, I get strong southern Baptist vibes.
No denomination at all my friend . We just gather before the glorious Lord and pray and stay glued in the bible .
Let all that draws breath praise the glorious Lord .

strepho

Jan 31, 2023
Meriden
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
CHANAK in Hebrew means ÷discipline. AMAD in Greek means = ordain. BEBAIOS in Greek means = steadfast. Romans 6:5. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of His death, we shall be also in the likeness of His resurrection. 6:6. Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. Our old nature should be abolished. When we convert to christianity, we become members of the body of christ. Our habitual lifestyle of sin must cease. If someone was a alcoholic or habitual liar. They must stop that habitual lifestyle of sin. How can they call themselves Christian. 6:11. Like wise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus christ our Lord. 6:13. Neither yield ye your members as instruments or unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God as those that are alive from the dead and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. No one has license to sin. If Jesus gives someone spirtual sight. Jesus expects discipline and a productive servant. We all have different gifts and abilities. We as members of the body of christ, are to be profitable to Jesus. Its planting seeds for God, sharing Gods truth with others. TOWBUNAH in Hebrew means = wisdom, skill fulness. Christian is to have spirtual growth and be skilled in the word of God. Would you hire a apprentice to do a plumber's job?? Of course not. You want a experience plumber who will do a efficient job. Get the picture.

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
CHANAK in Hebrew means ÷discipline. AMAD in Greek means = ordain. BEBAIOS in Greek means = steadfast. Romans 6:5. For if we have been planted together in the likeness of His death, we shall be also in the likeness of His resurrection. 6:6. Knowing this, that our old man is crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be destroyed, that henceforth we should not serve sin. Our old nature should be abolished. When we convert to christianity, we become members of the body of christ. Our habitual lifestyle of sin must cease. If someone was an alcoholic or habitual liar. They must stop that habitual lifestyle of sin. How can they call themselves Christian. 6:11. Like wise reckon ye also yourselves to be dead indeed unto sin, but alive unto God through Jesus christ our Lord. 6:13. Neither yield ye your members as instruments or unrighteousness unto sin: but yield yourselves unto God as those that are alive from the dead and your members as instruments of righteousness unto God. No one has license to sin. If Jesus gives someone spirtual sight. Jesus expects discipline and a productive servant. We all have different gifts and abilities. We as members of the body of christ, are to be profitable to Jesus. Its planting seeds for God, sharing Gods truth with others. TOWBUNAH in Hebrew means = wisdom, skill fulness. Christian is to have spirtual growth and be skilled in the word of God. Would you hire a apprentice to do a plumber's job?? Of course not. You want a experience plumber who will do a efficient job. Get the picture.
we all have to start somewhere. We start as apprentices. And we have to grow into master plumbers.

Paul called it being a babe vs being an Mature.

John called them Children, Young men and Fathers. Showing the separation of our christian growth r becoming like Christ.

Thats called progressive sanctification

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Gal 1 KJV 13 For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of God, and wasted it:
14 And profited in the Jews' religion above many my equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the traditions of my fathers.
15 But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace,

Eph 2: 3 KJV 3 Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

1 pet 1: KJV 18 Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not redeemed with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your fathers;

2 cor 1: 12 kjv 12 For our rejoicing is this, the testimony of our conscience, that in simplicity and godly sincerity, not with fleshly wisdom, but by the grace of God, we have had our conversation in the world, and more abundantly to you-ward.

Phil 3: 20: kjv 20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:

I do not see anythign about a higher calling. Only that our salvation/conversion is from above, not from the flesh.

Thats not a higher calling per say, it is the cause, please of our conversion, salvation, Being born again from above or from Christ

everyone who is saved is converted from this higher place..
I don’t know how to answer. To say that is no higher calling per se …between to walk in the flesh or to walk in the Spirit. my question is does Paul walk in both at the same time? Does he persecute the church and waste it, taking those bound in chains to be imprisoned and put to death, and at the same time, walk In newness of ‘he which persecuted us in times past now preaches the faith which once he destroyed. Galatians 1:23

Reactions: Episkopos

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don’t know how to answer. To say that is no higher calling per se …between to walk in the flesh or to walk in the Spirit.

The higher calling is in Christ. we all are to walk in that calling. We do it when we walk in the spirit. It is not a special thing where we all of a sudden have this special spiritual walk. We should be walking in Christ daily
my question is does Paul walk in both at the same time? Does he persecute the church and waste it, taking those bound in chains to be imprisoned and put to death, and at the same time, walk In newness of ‘he which persecuted us in times past now preaches the faith which once he destroyed. Galatians 1:23
Again, We either walk in the spirit or we walk in the flesh..there is no inbetween. every moment of every day we have to chose which way are are going to walk..

This Higher calling that Epi is trying to show people is not a special calling like he tries to make it out to be, there is no "walk in zion"

We all should be walking with the Holy Spirit as our Guide with Christ as our spiritual head.

That's how we walk in the spirit

that's how we bear fruit

That's how we grow in Christ, especially in the valleys of our life

That's how we overcome sin.

That's how we learn to be like Christ.

Its not some special realm of spirituality that we are above everything, Its a daily walk. The more mature we get and the more "sanctified" we become in our lives, the easier this walk should be.

I hope and pray this makes sense to you

• Love
Reactions: Keturah

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The higher calling is in Christ. we all are to walk in that calling. We do it when we walk in the spirit. It is not a special thing where we all of a sudden have this special spiritual walk. We should be walking in Christ daily

Again, We either walk in the spirit or we walk in the flesh..there is no inbetween. every moment of every day we have to chose which way are are going to walk..

This Higher calling that Epi is trying to show people is not a special calling like he tries to make it out to be, there is no "walk in zion"

We all should be walking with the Holy Spirit as our Guide with Christ as our spiritual head.

That's how we walk in the spirit

that's how we bear fruit

That's how we grow in Christ, especially in the valleys of our life

That's how we overcome sin.

That's how we learn to be like Christ.

Its not some special realm of spirituality that we are above everything, Its a daily walk. The more mature we get and the more "sanctified" we become in our lives, the easier this walk should be.

I hope and pray this makes sense to you
This is simply a lowering of the standard of Christ to such an extent that even middle class religionists can claim to be there already. No seeking God here. No abiding in heaven with Christ. Just unbelief.

Last edited:

VictoryinJesus

Jan 26, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
there is no "walk in zion"
There is no “Walk in Zion”
There is no walk in Light, Truth, and Spirit?
What of in the Revelation of Jesus Christ … “they have no more need of the sun and moon, for the Light of the Lamb, Christ, will be their Light”?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
There is no “Walk in Zion”
There is no walk in Light, Truth, and Spirit?
What of in the Revelation of Jesus Christ … “they have no more need of the sun and moon, for the Light of the Lamb, Christ, will be their Light”?
Do you walk in the light in the spirit daily?

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
This is simply a lowering of the standard of Christ to such an extent that even middle class religionists can claim to be there already. No seeking God here. No abiding in heaven with Christ. Just unbelief.
We are on earth my friend, Not in heaven, We will walk in heaven and know Jesus when we see him, I showed you that passage yesterday.

Every born again child of God is anointed and sealed with the spirit. every one of them have the ability and powert to walk in the spirit

Stop trying to puff yourself up as so much higher than other people Thats what the pharisees did..

Status
Not open for further replies.