How could the Messiah be sinless?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Where do you get this nonsense about people being saved by having a perfect understanding of God?
As you said yourself, a perfect understanding is not required, but a bastardized one is condemning. You claim that denying Jesus' deity is indicting towards damnation, I'm a saying the same about professing Jesus to be divine, and/or calling God a trinity of persons. Both confessions will destroy one's soul.[/QUOTE]

There's some things you must believe to get here.
You must believe God exists. - Yes
You must believe you are a sinner in need of salvation. - Yes
You must believe Jesus lived a perfect human life and that he died and came back to life for your redemption. - Yes
And You've got to believe in the deity of Jesus. - On the contrary. This will deny one salvation. God is transcendent, and cannot be slain by His own creation. Plus, His wisdom behind the Atonement becomes ludicrous. He cannot propitiate Himself by obeying Himself. And, man has no hope if to date, God has only raised Himself from thew 'dead'. And, since God cannot die, even hypothetically if He could, there was no sacrifice, since He can never remain dead.
Psalm 49 says that no man can pay a ransom for another man. A few verses later, in verse 15, it says God will pay the ransom.
Entirely out of context. In the Bible, Gods is also wrathful, vindictive, angry, jealous, a rock, etc..

If they said he is not divine, then they are not believing in God, but a man. That's a major problem.
You have yet to explain why. Romans 5 clearly states that the fundaments of redemption, require that a man must expiate for man. No where in the Bible does it say otherwise. You trintitarians have fabricated the absurd principle that because Adam's sin was so egregious, that only God could rectify it. Words cannot express the utter stupidity behind this notion. Nothing became disrupted in the cosmos or the metaphysical realm, that required the creator to restore order. God was the victim, man the culprit, therefore man must be expiated. The Judge and Legislator does not intervene, except to exact justice upon the criminal.

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
In Truth, from the Creator Himself, in His Word , Eternal, Unchanging, Unchangeable,

Whoever Trusts the Son Has Life, whoever trusts not the son, has not life.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Entirely out of context. In the Bible, Gods is also wrathful, vindictive, angry, jealous, a rock, etc..
Really? Let's look at the context:

No one can redeem the life of another
or give to God a ransom for them—
8 the ransom for a life is costly,
no payment is ever enough—
9 so that they should live on forever
and not see decay.
10 For all can see that the wise die,
that the foolish and the senseless also perish,
leaving their wealth to others.
11 Their tombs will remain their houses forever,
their dwellings for endless generations,
though they had named lands after themselves.

12 People, despite their wealth, do not endure;
they are like the beasts that perish.

13 This is the fate of those who trust in themselves,
and of their followers, who approve their sayings.
14 They are like sheep and are destined to die;
death will be their shepherd
(but the upright will prevail over them in the morning).
Their forms will decay in the grave,
far from their princely mansions.
15 But God will redeem me from the realm of the dead;

Seems clear as crystal to me that he's saying man can never ransom man, but only God can redeem from death.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have yet to explain why. Romans 5 clearly states that the fundaments of redemption, require that a man must expiate for man. No where in the Bible does it say otherwise.
It's says otherwise in Romans 5.

A man had to die, but not a mere man.

Paul reminds us that everything that comes to us comes through our Lord Jesus Christ. Christ is the way to God. He himself said so: "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man [-- no man --] comes to the Father but by me," (John 14:6 KJV). Therefore, when you see the greatness of Christ, you have seen the greatness of God. It is he who reveals the Father. Remember how John begins his gospel

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. (John 1:1, 1:14

That is the way we see God. When we see the greatness of Jesus, we see the greatness of God. When we see and know the love of Jesus, we know the heart of God. Therefore, we are to rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Word of God describes Jesus as the head of the church, the ruler over all creation, and the Lord of lords and King of kings (Col. 1:15-18; Rev. 3:14,

Thomas said to him, ‘My Lord and my God!’” (John 20:28). From there on the message of the Apostles was that Jesus is Lord, signifying that “Jesus is God.”

Jesus is “Lord of all” (Acts 10:36).

The declaration “Jesus is Lord” indicates that Jesus is God. Jesus holds “all authority in heaven and on earth” (Matthew 28:18). He is “Lord of the Sabbath” (Luke 6:5); “our only Sovereign and Lord” (Jude 1:4); and “the Lord of lords” (Revelation 17:14).

Reactions: Joseph77

Joseph77

Apr 1, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
If a righteous holy man, without sin, died, if that were possible for a man, a human man not God,
then that righteous holy man without sin might be permitted in heaven,
but could bring no one else with him -
he could not pay for anyone else's life/ redeem them/. atone for their sin with his blood, at all, ....
thus
if Jesus were only a human man, if Jesus were not Uncreated Eternal God echad with the Father,
then Jesus would be both a liar, and
not a redeemer - he would be unable to save anyone else at all, other than himself....

Reactions: Renniks

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Really? Let's look at the context:

No one can redeem the life of another
or give to God a ransom for them—
8 the ransom for a life is costly,
no payment is ever enough—
9 so that they should live on forever
and not see decay.
10 For all can see that the wise die,
that the foolish and the senseless also perish,
leaving their wealth to others.
11 Their tombs will remain their houses forever,
their dwellings for endless generations,
though they had named lands after themselves.

12 People, despite their wealth, do not endure;
they are like the beasts that perish.

13 This is the fate of those who trust in themselves,
and of their followers, who approve their sayings.
14 They are like sheep and are destined to die;
death will be their shepherd
(but the upright will prevail over them in the morning).
Their forms will decay in the grave,
far from their princely mansions.
15 But God will redeem me from the realm of the dead;

Seems clear as crystal to me that he's saying man can never ransom man, but only God can redeem from death.
Please Renniks, this does not say that Jesus was God, nor that God became man to die for our transgressions. For even the blood of bulls and goats were sufficient to redeem the Israelites, for a time period, under the Old Covenant.
The above simply states that God redeems the righteous, or rather, God will allow them to be redeemed by the means that He prescribes - faith in the saviour that He will send. That is, for man to circumvent death, no material payment is enough, ...but God will find a way, through His son.
Again Renniks, out of context. You trinitarians are so desperate, that you are constantly forced to find the most obscure and ambiguous passages, in order to support your theory.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
It's says otherwise in Romans 5.

A man had to die, but not a mere man.

Paul reminds us that everything that comes to us comes through our Lord Jesus Christ. Christ is the way to God. He himself said so: "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man [-- no man --] comes to the Father but by me," (John 14:6 KJV). Therefore, when you see the greatness of Christ, you have seen the greatness of God. It is he who reveals the Father. Remember how John begins his gospel

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God...And the Word became flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld His glory, glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth. (John 1:1, 1:14

That is the way we see God. When we see the greatness of Jesus, we see the greatness of God. When we see and know the love of Jesus, we know the heart of God. Therefore, we are to rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ.

The Word of God describes Jesus as the head of the church, the ruler over all creation, and the Lord of lords and King of kings (Col. 1:15-18; Rev. 3:14,

Thomas said to him, ‘My Lord and my God!’” (John 20:28). From there on the message of the Apostles was that Jesus is Lord, signifying that “Jesus is God.”

The declaration “Jesus is Lord” indicates that Jesus is God. Jesus holds “all authority in heaven and on earth” (Matthew 28:18). He is “Lord of the Sabbath” (Luke 6:5); “our only Sovereign and Lord” (Jude 1:4); and “the Lord of lords” (Revelation 17:14).
You're jumping all over the place. You have yet to explain how, logistically, the Atonement required a god-man sacrifice. All you did was try to correlate rather disparate passages, in order to prove that Jesus is God, and therefore claim that Paul said it required a god-man to fulfill the demands of the Atonement.
Just show me at least 5 paragraphs where Jesus said that he was God. Because, I can do this, and 10x more, to prove that Jesus was the Messiah, or the allowance of the Gentiles into the Kingdom, or Faith over works - veritable major NT revelations and paradigm shifts.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Just show me at least 5 paragraphs where Jesus said that he was God. Because, I can do this, and 10x more, to prove that Jesus was the Messiah, or the allowance of the Gentiles into the Kingdom, or Faith over works - veritable major NT revelations and paradigm shifts.
Lol, you need five paragraphs? It's not enough that scripture confirms Jesus is divinity, you need it repeated over and over? You didn't address any of the verses, instead you just ignore them and claim you are right.
Ever think that the truth that Jesus is God is so obvious, you should not have to be beat over the head with it?
Sure he was all those other things too, because he is God. You would put your faith in a mere man? I've already shown how foolish that is.

Reactions: Nancy

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
janc,

You are reading a different Bible to mine.

Read what Jesus said about His own pre-existence (John 3:13; 6:33, 38, 62; 8:23; 16:28).

Isn't it amazing that Christ existed before Abraham's birth (John 8:58–59)? However, Abraham’s birth preceded Jesus’ own birth by centuries! The NT teaches that Jesus was pre-existing with His Father (Romans 8:3; 1 John 1:2; Galatians 4:4), thus making him a separate Person to the Father. Several passages even identify Jesus as the Creator (John 1:2–3; Colossians 1:16–17; Hebrews 1:2).

What could John 17:5 possibly mean? 'And now, Father, glorify me in your own presence with the glory that I had with you before the world existed'. Jesus the Son was in the presence of the Father before the incarnation. That's Bible!

Col 1:16-17, 'For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together'. So, outside of time, Jesus the Son was the Creator of the universe, thus making his living before the creation. He holds everything together now.

Therefore, you are teaching false doctrine with your trumped up version of the pre-existence of God the Son.

Oz
@OzSpen
God's Word is indeed full of the eternal Father, Son and Holy Spirit. :)

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Lol, you need five paragraphs? It's not enough that scripture confirms Jesus is divinity, you need it repeated over and over? You didn't address any of the verses, instead you just ignore them and claim you are right.
Ever think that the truth that Jesus is God is so obvious, you should not have to be beat over the head with it?
Sure he was all those other things too, because he is God. You would put your faith in a mere man? I've already shown how foolish that is.

Amen.
All it should take is one verse alone to settle this and, I'm pretty sure someone out there will twist it into something other than it's true and clear meaning.
"Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”

John 20:28
So, if Thomas was ignorant in calling Jesus that, I would think it would have been dealt with right then and there with Jesus.
JMO :)

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
Amen.
All it should take is one verse alone to settle this and, I'm pretty sure someone out there will twist it into something other than it's true and clear meaning.
"Thomas answered and said to Him, “My Lord and my God!”
John 20:28

So, if Thomas was ignorant in calling Jesus that, I would think it would have been dealt with right then and there with Jesus.
JMO :)
And not be allowed to be written down!

Reactions: Nancy

DPMartin

Jan 30, 2014
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible clearly says that every human will sin someday:

There is no human who does not sin. (1 Kings 8:46)

But then how could the Messiah be sinless?

I would say that the spirit in the Messiah was not a human spirit but the spirit of God. The Spirit of God in the flesh, therefore John 1:1 and 14. But then one asks oneself the question, did the incarnation of the Spirit create another person separated from the father? Should one think that God has begotten a real son? That God has begotten a real son sounds illogical to me, since this would then be a second God, but if the Messiah is the Father, one would have to ask oneself why the Bible constantly separates the Son from the Father.

God is the source of Life right? therefore a living entity. what are the basic things of the living. look at yourself there is you, there is your presence and there is your word (expression of you ) that goes out from you that you speak in your presence.

all forms of animal and could also be plants (philosophically speaking) have presence and express themselves in their presence. and all three are them to anything not them, just as all three are you, you, your presence, and your word, to anyone not you. therefore in the Almighty's case there is God (the Father) God's Presence (the Holy Spirit) and His Word that goes out from Him in His Presence (made flesh, Jesus the Christ) that is God to anything not God. Jesus says God is a Spirit, so what is of a Spirit is the Word therefore Son of begotten not made that was there in the beginning. when John says:

Joh 1:1  In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 
Joh 1:2  The same was in the beginning with God. 

the Word is God to anything not God which includes all of creation, all of creation knows God through God's Word in God's Presence.

a little side note if I may

when Jesus told the storm to stop, how did the storm know it was the Word of God in God's Presence? because if it wasn't God's Word in God's Presence it wouldn't have heard. therefore even inanimate objects know the Almighty and can recognize His Voice.

Last edited:

Davy

Feb 11, 2018
Southeastern U.S.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The Bible clearly says that every human will sin someday:

There is no human who does not sin. (1 Kings 8:46)

But then how could the Messiah be sinless?

I would say that the spirit in the Messiah was not a human spirit but the spirit of God. The Spirit of God in the flesh, therefore John 1:1 and 14. But then one asks oneself the question, did the incarnation of the Spirit create another person separated from the father? Should one think that God has begotten a real son? That God has begotten a real son sounds illogical to me, since this would then be a second God, but if the Messiah is the Father, one would have to ask oneself why the Bible constantly separates the Son from the Father.

Don't miss the fact of WHY God came in the flesh as Jesus Christ (Immanuel). To die on the cross for the remission of sins of those who would believe.

Only God could come in the flesh and be without sin. Hebrews tells us Jesus is the express image of The Father. And the idea of Jesus being The Only Begotten Son is specifically about God being born in the flesh as The Savior to die on the cross. It does not mean Jesus only came into existence when born in Mary's womb.

Reactions: Renniks

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Of course Renniks, one needs a plethora of testimony in order to substantiate the unfathomable - God became man. In other words, a radical conclusion, requires a radical testimony.

You cannot state that the notion that Jesus is God is so obvious, because even the leading trinitarian proponents agree that it is nowhere taught in the Bible, but merely inferred. Very shameful exegesis, this would be extremely incompetent even to prove something plausible.

Sorry if i forgot, but where did you prove that faith in a mere man was foolish? I was saying that the Atonement falls apart with God propitiating Himself, or raising Himself from the dead. How did you prove otherwise?

I didn't mean to overlook the verses that you provided, but just felt that they weren't relevant to the immediate point at hand, they didn't address the points in my post that you were responding to at that time.

'It's says otherwise in Romans 5. A man had to die, but not a mere man.' No, it doesn't say that at all, you eisegeted that. Paul was emphatic, he repeated it over 5 times, that is, man for man.

'Paul reminds us that everything that comes to us comes through our Lord Jesus Christ. Christ is the way to God. He himself said so: "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No man [-- no man --] comes to the Father but by me," (John 14:6 KJV). Therefore, when you see the greatness of Christ, you have seen the greatness of God. It is he who reveals the Father. Remember how John begins his gospel'
These all are easily reconciled with the fact all that God orchestrates, reflects His glory. If you've seen the universe, then you have seen God. It God decided that there is only one way to salvation, and to the Father, and that is through Jesus, then all the statements in your quote are true with Jesus solely as a creature. Just as Moses had God's glory on his face as he came down from mount Sinai, he represented God during his lifetime.

This is a literary form called antanaclasis, where the same word is used several times in a single sentence or context, but has a different meaning each time that it is used. John is saying that neither the Garden of Eden, nor the Noahic Covenant, nor the Abrahamic, Mosiac nor Davidic Covenants, were God's original desire and will for mankind, despite their historical precedence. Jesus, who was created around 4BC, after several millennia of history, was finally disclosing God's true will and desire for mankind. The entire universe held together under one head, Jesus Christ.

Yes, not one of these appellations necessitate that Jesus be God. These are all referring to what he became, not what he was. Because he pleased God, and fulfilled God's Law through 100% devotion and love towards God, it pleased God to exalt him as such. This is how the story goes. Jesus says that all that he has, is from the Father, and never, ever, says otherwise.

Men were called gods throughout the Bible and history. For all the power and authority that was bestowed upon Jesus from the Father, yes, he is a god to us all, just as Moses was a god to the Israelites during the exodus. Just as the people prostrated themselves before King David, and Bathsheba prostrated herself before Solomon, and Sarah called Abraham lord, these gestures and reverence do not necessitate divine worship.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The entire universe held together under one head, Jesus Christ
The entire universe is held together by a mere human being? Can't you see how absurd that is? A human is sovereign over every particle of matter? No, the Word IS God.

Renniks

Feb 3, 2020
Pennsylvania
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Men were called gods throughout the Bible and history. For all the power and authority that was bestowed upon Jesus from the Father, yes, he is a god to us all, just as Moses was a god to the Israelites during the exodus. Just as the people prostrated themselves before King David, and Bathsheba prostrated herself before Solomon, and Sarah called Abraham lord, these gestures and reverence do not necessitate divine worship.
Oh please. To worship a man is blasphemy. And the Jewish Messiah was quite aware of that, yet he allowed people to worship him.

DNB

Dec 8, 2019
Toronto
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The entire universe is held together by a mere human being? Can't you see how absurd that is? A human is sovereign over every particle of matter? No, the Word IS God.
God-given authority, of which ion the end, he hands it all over to God and becomes subordinate to God. It doesn't mean every particle and atom, nor does it mean absolute authority. But, for the sake of righteousness and judgement, Christ rules as king. Honestly Renniks, you are being hyper-literal about everything, and thus, I believe, missing the point as to his reign and to what his actual jurisdiction is. You are citing ambiguous passages as far as his deity is concerned, and then eisegeting your preconceived views into them. You are continuously jumping to conclusions where the verses just do not warrant it.

1 Corinthians 15:27-28
15:27. For HE HAS PUT ALL THINGS IN SUBJECTION UNDER HIS FEET. But when He says, "All things are put in subjection," it is evident that He is excepted who put all things in subjection to Him. 28. When all things are subjected to Him, then the Son Himself also will be subjected to the One who subjected all things to Him, so that God may be all in all.