How did the Holy Spirit draw you to Christ?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Good memory...most of our books had to be left behind in England when we emigrated. :(

I do still have the 'Normal Christian life.' excellent.
I found the 'Latent Power of the Soul' very challenging.
Once we have read it we can see more clearly the difference between believers who move in the Spirit and those who are still function from the soul realm.

The Spiritual Man comes in three volumes if I remember rightly?
All good but as you say...more like teaching text books.

A good tool in growing us up. :)
Sounds like something all Christians should look into, I might get the volumes myself! I do pray for discernment but not so much applied in this very important area. "...if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.”

Reactions: Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Even so how many serve God because it makes them happy to do so? Or because they want to be blessed? How is that not selfish? How many truely give expecting nothing in return, even from God?
I recall a young minister speaking on this once with regard to his own walk with God. [His father had been a minister and pastor before him.] He spoke of the reason he served God and mentioned the difference between him and his mother.

His mother served God simply because she loved Him. She might receive something as a result, but she loved God for who He was without any expectation of rewards or any concerns about punishments.

The young minister [her son] said he served God to avoid any curses and to obtain any rewards. While he understood that he needed to serve God for the reason his mother did, he just was unable to do that, at least not yet. He openly admitted to his very selfish motives.

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I recall a young minister speaking on this once with regard to his own walk with God. [His father had been a minister and pastor before him.] He spoke of the reason he served God and mentioned the difference between him and his mother.

His mother served God simply because she loved Him. She might receive something as a result, but she loved God for who He was without any expectation of rewards or any concerns about punishments.

The young minister [her son] said he served God to avoid any curses and to obtain any rewards. While he understood that he needed to serve God for the reason his mother did, he just was unable to do that, at least not yet. He openly admitted to his very selfish motives.

We need to be renewed in our minds...otherwise we corrupt what God has put in our renewed hearts.

God renews the hearts...but we must submit our minds to the Lord for renewal.

Our minds are the battlefield. I call it the mind-field. ;)

Reactions: amadeus and Helen

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
My family arranged for me to be baptized in an old Catholic mission in San Juan Bautista, Calif. I was 6 years old. I was doing what my mother wanted me to do. I knew it was important but understand little of nothing about God. During that baptism for the first time ever I recognized that God really existed and I wanted to serve Him. I could not have then told you a thing about Jesus or the Holy Ghost.

In 1976 when our marriage about to fail in spite of our two toddlers, my wife and I looked back to old friends who had always lived closer to God than anyone else either of us had ever known. We called the wife of that family to babysit the little ones so we could get away and iron out our differences for the umpteenth time. We really did not believe it would work this time.

Instead of asking them to babysit we asked if they could take us to a church service where we could get what they had. They did and we did. This time it was God drawing us to Him. We both received the baptism of the Holy Ghost and God saved our marriage. We celebrated our 46th anniversary this past June.

Reactions: brakelite
B

brakelite

Sounds like something all Christians should look into, I might get the volumes myself! I do pray for discernment but not so much applied in this very important area. "...if it were possible, they shall deceive the very elect.”
I read a couple of Nee's books in the early 80s, thought at the time they were very advanced and mature...I have since learned different. In some areas I disagree with him totally.

Reactions: Nancy and amadeus
B

brakelite

My family arranged for me to be baptized in an old Catholic mission in San Juan Bautista, Calif. I was 6 years old. I was doing what my mother wanted me to do. I knew it was important but understand little of nothing about God. During that baptism for the first time ever I recognized that God really existed and I wanted to serve Him. I could not have then told you a thing about Jesus or the Holy Ghost.

In 1976 when our marriage about to fail in spite of our two toddlers, my wife and I looked back to old friends who had always lived closer to God than anyone else either of us had ever known. We called the wife of that family to babysit the little ones so we could get away and iron out our differences for the umpteenth time. We really did not believe it would work this time.

Instead of asking them to babysit we asked if they could take us to a church service where we could get what they had. They did and we did. This time it was God drawing us to Him. We both received the baptism of the Holy Ghost and God saved our marriage. We celebrated our 46th anniversary this past June.
Been there, done that, as they say. God is into saving marriages. I think they are among His chief pet projects. For us, 1997...been married 40 years last January.

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I read a couple of Nee's books in the early 80s, thought at the time they were very advanced and mature...I have since learned different. In some areas I disagree with him totally.

I can agree with that.
Even back in the 60's I didn't agree with every concept he held.
But then again...no one agrees with every concept I hold...and I don't agree with many others either...especially on this Site :D

But, I never throw out the baby with the bathwater..
We all see in part, and speak in part, and understand in part .

I found " Against the Tide" very challenging...he was an amazing man. The devil hated him...and managed to get him imprisoned for 20 years, until he died!!! A true man of God.

.....H

Kristen Davis

Jul 27, 2018
Alpharetta
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Over the many years, I have heard a ton of testimonies on life before Jesus. I know that the Holy Spirit is the initiating factor in every heart. We are people with many different personalities, backgrounds, beliefs but...for myself I can honestly say it was Truth that brought me to an understanding that the God of the Bible is the True God.
I know that is not every bodies story, many will say His Love, even Fear...
So what say others?

I was drawn nigh to Christ in 2015 during my freshman year of college because I took a year of to find and discover my true passions. Through Christ I was able to finish my freshman year of college and go on to pursue a business degree in commmunications!

Reactions: amadeus and Nancy

Mayflower

Jul 14, 2018
Bluffton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
He past away a long time ago, but I felt like I heard the Truth for the first time when I was 15 by a Pastor Wilkins. I didn't come forward to the altar, but prayed in my room when I got home and then told people about it that I came to know Christ.

Last edited:
Reactions: amadeus

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was drawn nigh to Christ in 2015 during my freshman year of college because I took a year of to find and discover my true passions. Through Christ I was able to finish my freshman year of college and go on to pursue a business degree in commmunications!

Welcome to the forum Kristin!

Reactions: Taken and Mayflower

Reggie Belafonte

Mar 16, 2018
Brisbane
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
I do not say that the Holy Spirit draw me to Jesus Christ at all, he came to me and gave me the Holy Spirit and bang I knew him, who he truly was. before that I did not know Jesus was truly the Christ, sure I knew all the religious stuff and can not remember ever not believing in Christianity and I always was seeking, I loved going to Bible study but I was only a water baptised Christian.
When my grandmother died we got her RC Bible that my dad bought for her years before and I would study that, I could not make heads or tails out of it in the beginning, but in time I worked it out, I would read and then think, what I am not sure about what is going on here, but then reading the other books of the Bible I would go bingo ! understanding what it was that I missed comprehending, then I would go back and read that that I did not understand and it all fell into place, so when you know and understand all the books the who thing comes together.
I would ask my Lutheran Priest questions and point out passages saying that this has some sort of meaning and he would say no it does not and babel on and run away, I would give him the RCC doctrine pointing out that he was wrong and slandering the RCC true position, but he would only peddle the Lutheran line.
When I want to the RCC they were into something totally different to my RC Bible and only childish rubbish that the Lutherans said that they did, so the Lutherans were correct in their opinion of the people who went to the RCC, I was like all the people in the RCC were idiots, they do not even know there own Bible condemns them with a lot of the rubbish that they do. and I was like why do you do such nonsense, well they are brainwashed by cunning devils and such people are in all Churches and all Organisations.
So I would have nothing to do with any Church and just studied the Bible when I got home from work instead of watching TV like a fool, TV is like a sewer in your living room and it poisons your mind with so much trash.
A mates dad would take us kids to Bible study and he is a true Christian he was an influence on me as well, he is a great bloke down to earth and does not take fools gladly and his horror of some of the worldly trash in the church was just classic.