How do you choose which thread to reply to?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know if this is the right place for this, so if it isn't please move it.

I just got to thinking about how other people choose which threads to answer.

My way is to look at the 'new posts' or 'what's new' options and look for the ones with fewer replies. Some threads are into the hundreds and thousands so i give those a miss as it's probably all been said ad infinitum.

I prefer the friendlier chats to the deep discussions.

SavedInHim

Jan 10, 2023
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I don't know if this is the right place for this, so if it isn't please move it.

My way is to look at the 'new posts' or 'what's new' options and look for the ones with fewer replies. Some threads are into the hundreds and thousands so i give those a miss as it's probably all been said ad infinitum.

Great question. Many factors. Mainly I ask myself, do I have anything of value to contribute; anything that hasn't already been said a million times. Do I have any good insights into God's word I can share or an experience that may help someone. I especially like replying with an encouraging word to those who are new believers; or those who are going through some difficult times. I rarely reply to long, meandering posts; people who make these kinds of posts aren't usually interested in hearing from anyone else anyway, they're just posting propaganda. I don't have much use for deep theological discussions either. I used to engage in this but ultimately found it to be a total waste of time. Finally, I never read or reply to posters who constantly post new threads but never engage; they post and they're gone.

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

That is pretty the way I do it as well. I normally also avoid long posts. Usually I won't even read long posts especially if they do not include some type of paragraphing to make the reading easier. Even of the posts I do read, I actually seldom reply with a post. Some of them I give them a "like". There really is nothing new under the sun, so many subjects which are too well worn I also avoid.

I do try to always read serious prayer requests praying for them at the moment.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
That is pretty the way I do it as well. I normally also avoid long posts. Usually I won't even read long posts especially if they do not include some type of paragraphing to make the reading easier. Even of the posts I do read, I actually seldom reply with a post. Some of them I give them a "like". There really is nothing new under the sun, so many subjects which are too well worn I also avoid.

I do try to always read serious prayer requests praying for them at the moment.
I too don't read very long posts. If I was in a conversation face to face and the other person kept rabbiting on I think I would be struggling to keep up, maybe even yawning. :)

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

A stone may leave ripples. ;)

I guess I'm one of those-- All kidding aside, "He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers," etc. and then there are also many wannabes, and the antis--there's quite a mix.

Such is the mix in this world where all is made manifest before the Judgement.

Personally, I would not even be here replying to any of it, except that God had other plans, took me by the neck and showed me things not lawful to utter until now. The Holy Spirit speaks and I don't hinder Him. Nor have I come to dabble in opinion.

But it's still a jungle and now more than ever one should question everything, use spiritual discernment--not literary, scriptural discernment, but spiritual discernment, knowing that standing on literary knowledge was the critical mistake of the Priests and the Pharisees who came before us; and yet reserve room for what is actually from God with expectation, as He has promised, "but in the days of the sounding of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, the mystery of God would be finished, as He declared to His servants the prophets." And ask yourself (be assured in your own mind)-- How does God who "is the same yesterday, today, and forever" reveal His truth?

Expect that.

• Love
Reactions: amadeus and Pearl

Ritajanice

Staff member
Encounter Team
Mar 9, 2023
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I have to admit I too don’t read long posts....I’ve always had concentration problems from a very young age.( there is a reason for it and was diagnosed).

I usually scroll down the latest posts....when I come on the forum.

Reactions: Pearl

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

How do you choose which thread to reply to?​

If they don't go through the eye of the needle, what can I do with the needle?.....definitely not sew!

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I too don't read very long posts. If I was in a conversation face to face and the other person kept rabbiting on I think I would be struggling to keep up, maybe even yawning. :)
My once best friend, now gone from this temporary life, was one of those who talked continuously. I learned to deal with him over the many years we were friends, but others would avoid all conversation with him. I too after a while would often have to find an excuse to cut it off if he kept on coming which he too often did. I learned much about God and the Bible from him. Good things can come from surprising places.

Last edited:

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
A stone may leave ripples. ;)

I guess I'm one of those-- All kidding aside, "He Himself gave some to be apostles, some prophets, some evangelists, and some pastors and teachers," etc. and then there are also many wannabes, and the antis--there's quite a mix.

Such is the mix in this world where all is made manifest before the Judgement.

Personally, I would not even be here replying to any of it, except that God had other plans, took me by the neck and showed me things not lawful to utter until now. The Holy Spirit speaks and I don't hinder Him. Nor have I come to dabble in opinion.

But it's still a jungle and now more than ever one should question everything, use spiritual discernment--not literary, scriptural discernment, but spiritual discernment, knowing that standing on literary knowledge was the critical mistake of the Priests and the Pharisees who came before us; and yet reserve room for what is actually from God with expectation, as He has promised, "but in the days of the sounding of the seventh angel, when he is about to sound, the mystery of God would be finished, as He declared to His servants the prophets." And ask yourself (be assured in your own mind)-- How does God who "is the same yesterday, today, and forever" reveal His truth?

Expect that.
It may indeed be a mixed-up jungle of a jumble, but for any of us who endure with Him to the end is not the best yet to come? When I get serious with my wife about my approaching physical end, she insists that I cannot leave before she does. I, on the other hand, really want to be ready whenever I have finished my course here. I cannot stay simply because she wants me to... God is involved in that as well.

Of my 80 years many things in my own history are clear to me, but then again, my mind is increasingly forgetful. My dear wife has for years taken up the slack for me in those necessary secular things which have slipped my mind. Now she too forgets things, but living with our daughter, we both have much additional help as needed.

I have enjoyed this forum and other forums before it for more than 20 years now, but I cannot even keep track of the names of all the members, much less remember where they stand on many issues.

Only a few years ago I was still keeping a list of all of members with geographical locations as well denomination or other details on their beliefs and the lack thereof. That helped me tremendously for a while to continue my more active participation, but even that took time and I stopped adding to my list and notes a couple of years ago. If God wants me to engage a topic or speak to a person, will He not let me know? The answer certainly is, yes!

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottA and Pearl

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
It may indeed be a mixed-up jungle of a jumble, but for any of us who endure with Him to the end is not the best yet to come? When I get serious with my wife about my approaching physical end, she insists that I cannot leave before she does. I, on the other hand, really want to be ready whenever I have finished my course here. I cannot stay simply because she wants me to... God is involved in that as well.

Of my 80 years many things in my own history are clear to me, but then again, my mind is increasingly forgetful. My dear wife has for years taken up the slack for me in those necessary secular things which have slipped my mind. Now she too forgets things, but living with our daughter, we both have much additional as needed.

I have enjoyed this forum and other forums before it for more than 20 years now, but I cannot even keep track of the names of all the members, much less remember where they stand on many issues.

Only a few years ago I was still keeping a list of all of members with geographical locations as well denomination or other details on their beliefs and the lack thereof. That helped me tremendously for a while to continue my more active participation, but even that took time and stopped adding to my list and notes a couple of years ago. If God wants me to engage a topic or speak to a person, will He not let me know? The answer certainly is, yes!
Yes, @amadeus , at the age we are it is inevitable that one of us will be left alone. I have prayed about it for a while now, knowing it must surely happen I pray that I can trust God to deal with that part of our lives as he has dealt with us through the years. I pray that whichever one of us is left behind He will give us the strength to go on alone and not to grieve too much as we know we are going home.

However that is off topic so I apologise.

Reactions: marks and amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Yes, @amadeus , at the age we are it is inevitable that one of us will be left alone. I have prayed about it for a while now, knowing it must surely happen I pray that I can trust God to deal with that part of our lives as he has dealt with us through the years. I pray that whichever one of us is left behind He will give us the strength to go on alone and not to grieve too much as we know we are going home.

However that is off topic so I apologise.
No apology needed. I recall how heart-broken my old pastor was when he lost his wife to cancer in 2011. My wife and I did not believe he would last a year without his partner. God used us to help him through the rough times and he continued to bless many people until his time also arrived in 2022 at the age of 97 years. His work for God had continued for more than eleven years. There are many people who are able to testify to why he lived on. We cannot know all of the answers, but God can.

Last edited:

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
No apology needed. I recall how heart-broken my old pastor was when he lost his wife to cancer in 2011. My wife and I did not believe he would last a year without his partner. God used us to help him through the rough times and he continued to bless many people until his time also arrived in 2022 at the age of 97 years. His work for God had continued for more than eleven years. There are many people who are able to testify to why he lived on. We cannot know all of the answers, but God can.
I remember you posting about that at the time - on here or another forum. We've been on a few.

Reactions: amadeus

amadeus

Jan 26, 2008
Oklahoma
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I remember you posting about that at the time - on here or another forum. We've been on a few.
Yes, he was very trying for us at times... especially when he really started having health issues which interfered with what he considered his spiritual commitments. He was a very good old man and I miss him a lot. The truth for us [my wife and me] is that his death took a lot of pressure off which we were no longer able to handle. He had no natural family and leaned heavily on us for more than moral support.

But... when I knew that I had cancer last year, I really wanted to see him in person one more time before my surgery. We had already moved 40 some miles away to be closer to our daughter due to our failing health and transportation was becoming a problem. My wife got me to see him that one last time in the hospital a few days prior to my surgery.

My surgery was on Nov 15, 2022. He passed away in the same hospital on Nov 16, 2022. What a mighty God we serve.

• Love

Eternally Grateful

Feb 27, 2020
Columbus, ohio
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I usually look at new posts. and find something I am interested in discussing. Sadly lately there has not been much, It seems a few people flood the room with threads. When I do find something that has gone on for a few pages. I will usually look at first page, Make my remarks. then go to the end..

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I usually look at new posts. and find something I am interested in discussing. Sadly lately there has not been much, It seems a few people flood the room with threads. When I do find something that has gone on for a few pages. I will usually look at first page, Make my remarks. then go to the end..
Same here. :)

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The title...

How a thread title is written will usually tell me all I need to know.

Because there are so many atheists and homosexuals who troll the Christians for some sort of cheap thrill of getting them to argue....then there's who "try out" their latest recreational drug induced theology....

And then there's the worn out calvinism/arminian discussions....

Then there's the worn out baptism arguments.
Alcohol, tithing, and divorce/remarriage, and Rapture/Armageddon discussions are also fairly worn out too. (Most have no clue what they are talking about but they act like the final authority on the subjects)

Then there's the denominational discussions. Catholics tend to either be the subject of ridicule or leading it of protestants. Then the SDA are still finger pointing at those who go to church on Sunday as some sort of heathen. Nevermind the dietary laws they get into....

All of these are just mostly surface discussions...barely discussing the most basic of trivia. The really interesting discussions about history, artifacts of archeology, anthropology and biblical metaphors are largely never discussed. What can I say? Most people use very rudimentary hermeneutics and usually just stay within the confines of flat reading. (And extrapolate some wacked out theologies from even that).

I still haven't yet figured out why people take themselves and their theologies so seriously. They obviously get upset about it. Haven't figured this one out yet.

But I usually toss in my $0.02 when I think I can bring in something of value that both sides will usually ignore the implications of.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
The title...

How a thread title is written will usually tell me all I need to know.

Because there are so many atheists and homosexuals who troll the Christians for some sort of cheap thrill of getting them to argue....then there's who "try out" their latest recreational drug induced theology....

And then there's the worn out calvinism/arminian discussions....

Then there's the worn out baptism arguments.
Alcohol, tithing, and divorce/remarriage, and Rapture/Armageddon discussions are also fairly worn out too. (Most have no clue what they are talking about but they act like the final authority on the subjects)

Then there's the denominational discussions. Catholics tend to either be the subject of ridicule or leading it of protestants. Then the SDA are still finger pointing at those who go to church on Sunday as some sort of heathen. Nevermind the dietary laws they get into....

All of these are just mostly surface discussions...barely discussing the most basic of trivia. The really interesting discussions about history, artifacts of archeology, anthropology and biblical metaphors are largely never discussed. What can I say? Most people use very rudimentary hermeneutics and usually just stay within the confines of flat reading. (And extrapolate some wacked out theologies from even that).

I still haven't yet figured out why people take themselves and their theologies so seriously. They obviously get upset about it. Haven't figured this one out yet.

But I usually toss in my $0.02 when I think I can bring in something of value that both sides will usually ignore the implications of.
I so agree with your description of Christian forums. I reply to posts I find interesting but don't like to get involved in pointless arguments or speculation.

Reactions: amadeus and JohnDB

JohnDB

Feb 7, 2010
TN
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I so agree with your description of Christian forums. I reply to posts I find interesting but don't like to get involved in pointless arguments or speculation.
My wife and I had a great discussion this morning (with no real conclusions) about Ezra and the Levites "Putting Away" their foreign wives and children.

We are not exactly sure about the fate of these foreign women and children. Where we understand the importance of purity and living a holy lifestyle for Temple service....but it seems out of character.
Also these women could have gone through an adoption process...even though women were considered one half step above property....but they obviously didn't. So likely they went back to their families in "Babylon" or Chaldea or wherever....dunno.
And where God is quoted about hating divorce He hates "putting away" more which was considered abuse and violence....

Which was the essential focus of our discussion. (We have been married for 13 years....she is still my best friend)

So we had no real conclusions but it made for an interesting discussion. This time it's without the snarky comments or name calling or anything really negative...both of us admitting we aren't exactly sure of the outcome. We knew why it was done but the result and ethics weren't.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
My wife and I had a great discussion this morning (with no real conclusions) about Ezra and the Levites "Putting Away" their foreign wives and children.

We are not exactly sure about the fate of these foreign women and children. Where we understand the importance of purity and living a holy lifestyle for Temple service....but it seems out of character.
Also these women could have gone through an adoption process...even though women were considered one half step above property....but they obviously didn't. So likely they went back to their families in "Babylon" or Chaldea or wherever....dunno.
And where God is quoted about hating divorce He hates "putting away" more which was considered abuse and violence....

Which was the essential focus of our discussion. (We have been married for 13 years....she is still my best friend)

So we had no real conclusions but it made for an interesting discussion. This time it's without the snarky comments or name calling or anything really negative...both of us admitting we aren't exactly sure of the outcome. We knew why it was done but the result and ethics weren't.
I once had a similar discussion with a friend who pastored a church in an area of NW England with a large Asian community. Bob, my friend, had a number of Asian converts in his flock and the question arose about what would happen to a convert who was part of a Polygamous family. I don't think we came to a conclusion as it is such a complicated issue.

• Love
Reactions: JohnDB