How do you respond to "Christians are hypocrites"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Nancy

Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When sharing the faith every so often as we are called to do it can't be uncommon to encounter the phrase "I'm not a Christian because all Christians are hypocrites" or something similar.

How do you refocus the conversation away from negativity and back on promoting the gospel in a positive way?

For myself, I have to nod and agree and respect that they feel this way before going on about my own experience with the gospel and how it's completely changed my life, hoping that they will respect in kind.

How do you demonstrate to acquaintances that Christians aren't all hypocrites?

Hi Friend,
When I hear that statement from someone who is unsaved, I think I would simply say that every church has hypocrites, liars...sinners! And, so does the grocery store, the post office, etc. Then, depending on their interest, if they are seeking God , usually they will ask you a question and just take it from there with whatever The Holy Spirit puts before you. Or they walk away (this is my experience). I never saw Jesus chasing down unbelievers after He spoke the Gospel to them. Either they accepted the Truth, or they did not.
Just my 2C :)

Reactions: friend of

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Hi Friend,
When I hear that statement from someone who is unsaved, I think I would simply say that every church has hypocrites, liars...sinners! And, so does the grocery store, the post office, etc. Then, depending on their interest, if they are seeking God , usually they will ask you a question and just take it from there with whatever The Holy Spirit puts before you. Or they walk away (this is my experience). I never saw Jesus chasing down unbelievers after He spoke the Gospel to them. Either they accepted the Truth, or they did not.
Just my 2C :)
"Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners"...(1 Timothy 1.15).

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
I never saw Jesus chasing down unbelievers after He spoke the Gospel to them.

True. Your post reminds me about the parables of the wedding feast where the king sends his servants out to invite everyone they see after his original guests declined. As Christians we are likened to these servants doing our masters will and being sent forth to share and preach the gospel, inviting outsiders into the Kingdom of God. :)

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When sharing the faith every so often as we are called to do it can't be uncommon to encounter the phrase "I'm not a Christian because all Christians are hypocrites" or something similar.

How do you refocus the conversation away from negativity and back on promoting the gospel in a positive way?

For myself, I have to nod and agree and respect that they feel this way before going on about my own experience with the gospel and how it's completely changed my life, hoping that they will respect in kind.

How do you demonstrate to acquaintances that Christians aren't all hypocrites?
Sadly, most of us are hypocrites. :(

A hypocrites actions say much about them, not about the teachings of Christ.

The Christian community should not be judged by its worst adherents but by those who actually live up to its standards.

My two cents worth...Mary

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
"Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners"...(1 Timothy 1.15).

1Ti 1:13, Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
1Ti 1:14, And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
1Ti 1:15, This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

2Co 5:17, Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Tit 3:3, For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another.
Tit 3:4, But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared,
Tit 3:5, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost;
Tit 3:6, Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour;
Tit 3:7, That being justified by his grace, we should be made heirs according to the hope of eternal life.

1Co 6:11, And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

I see you include yourself but is it advisable to pool 'most' others into the party?

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Give your evidence that most are not hypocrites.

Mary
yes, you want evidence, you want texts, you want, you want but you miss the point. Are you familiar with the scripture that states 'forever learning but never coming to a knowledge of the truth?'

Reactions: Helen and Willie T

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, the way to life is narrow, and few there be that find it.
Hmmm.....I don't see the evidence that most Christians today are not hypocrites but if you see it....more power to ya'

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hmmm.....I don't see the evidence that most Christians today are not hypocrites but if you see it....more power to ya'
What I am saying is that there are relatively few who will overcome hypocrisy in their own lives, having found the way of truth.

Reactions: Marymog

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The Christian community should not be judged by its worst adherents but by those who actually live up to its standards.

My two cents worth...Mary

So, hypocritical Mary, why are you a hypocrite?

Quantrill

Reactions: Helen

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
yes, you want evidence, you want texts, you want, you want but you miss the point. Are you familiar with the scripture that states 'forever learning but never coming to a knowledge of the truth?'
Got it...You have no evidence. It was just your opinion.

I should have taken it as that. I apologize.

Mary

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should all try to be the best kind of hypocrite...for a hypocrite is defined as someone who says one thing and does another...

I should strive to be the kind of hypocrite that calls myself a sinner and yet practically lives a holy life...that is the best kind of hypocrite to be.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
That does NOT make you a hypocrite. Personally, though I think you are misguided, I don't think you are a hypocrite.
As Christians we are all to avoid sin and go make disciples of all nations (preach the faith). If we are preaching the faith and telling others to avoid sin, and then we sin (which we do) then we are hypocrites.

If we call ourselves Christian but don't preach the faith, then we are hypocrites, because we as Christians are supposed to preach the faith.

I do not appreciate the unnecessary "misguided" comment. I have never been vile to you so I am not sure why you are being vile to me. Your words show your character, not mine. I have been impressed by some of your posting. You stayed out of the mud. Why are you changing?

You think I am misguided. If I follow you and believe everything you believe will I no longer be misguided???

Curious Mary

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As Christians we are all to avoid sin and go make disciples of all nations (preach the faith). If we are preaching the faith and telling others to avoid sin, and then we sin (which we do) then we are hypocrites.

If we call ourselves Christian but don't preach the faith, then we are hypocrites, because we as Christians are supposed to preach the faith.

I do not appreciate the unnecessary "misguided" comment. I have never been vile to you so I am not sure why you are being vile to me. Your words show your character, not mine. I have been impressed by some of your posting. You stayed out of the mud. Why are you changing?

You think I am misguided. If I follow you and believe everything you believe will I no longer be misguided???

Curious Mary
You certainly do seem to have difficulty with the English language. "Misguided", simply means to be guided in a mistaken direction. And I certainly do believe you are having that done to you. It is in no way a "vile" statement.
And, 'making mistakes' or 'doing something wrong' is not being hypocritical. Paul was certainly not being hypocritical when he wrote that he did the things that he did not want to do, and did not do the things he wanted to do.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You certainly do seem to have difficulty with the English language. "Misguided", simply means to be guided in a mistaken direction. And I certainly do believe you are having that done to you. It is in no way a "vile" statement.
And, 'making mistakes' or 'doing something wrong' is not being hypocritical. Paul was certainly not being hypocritical when he wrote that he did the things that he did not want to do, and did not do the things he wanted to do.
Hi willie.

Hmmmm......You believe I am misguided because I practice what is preached by The Church. In essence you are saying that The Church is misguided which means I am misguided. You are DEGRADING me and my Church.

Vile: tending to degrade. Definition of VILE

You degraded me in this post by saying I have difficulty with the English language. You degraded me and my Church by saying we are misguided. Apparently YOU have difficulty with the English language since you do not know the definition of VILE. ;)

2nd time asking:
If I follow you and believe everything you believe will I no longer be misguided???

Patient Mary