How do you respond to "Christians are hypocrites"?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi willie.

Hmmmm......You believe I am misguided because I practice what is preached by The Church. In essence you are saying that The Church is misguided which means I am misguided. You are DEGRADING me and my Church.

Vile: tending to degrade. Definition of VILE

You degraded me in this post by saying I have difficulty with the English language. You degraded me and my Church by saying we are misguided. Apparently YOU have difficulty with the English language since you do not know the definition of VILE. ;)

2nd time asking:
If I follow you and believe everything you believe will I no longer be misguided???

Patient Mary
As usual, you seem to have missed everything.

If ANYONE blindly follows someone else, without question, they risk being misguided by them. Beyond that, you, Mary, don't seem to decide for yourself the value or Biblical accuracy of what your teachers (the Priests, et al) tell you. You tell us that you accept it as being "The Truth" because it came from a particular organization, the Catholic Church.

Reactions: bbyrd009

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
As usual, you seem to have missed everything.

If ANYONE blindly follows someone else, without question, they risk being misguided by them. Beyond that, you, Mary, don't seem to decide for yourself the value or Biblical accuracy of what your teachers (the Priests, et al) tell you. You tell us that you accept it as being "The Truth" because it came from a particular organization, the Catholic Church.
I believe it to be The Truth because it came from The Church established by Jesus.

The Church is the pillar and foundation of Truth. Not you. Not me. Not Martin Luther. Not John Calvin......The Church, just like scripture says.

Since Scripture also tells us to take our differences to The Church, which Church would you like to go to to settle this difference???

Curious Mary

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I believe it to be The Truth because it came from The Church established by Jesus.

The Church is the pillar and foundation of Truth. Not you. Not me. Not Martin Luther. Not John Calvin......The Church, just like scripture says.

Since Scripture also tells us to take our differences to The Church, which Church would you like to go to to settle this difference???

Curious Mary
Do you take your differences to several other ordinary people sitting in the pews around you (the actual "church") or do you take them to Catholic officials elected by a governing body you don't even know?

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
BTW, where I attend, we actually DO take things to other regular members. It might eventually get all the way up to the preacher or elders (which WE chose to lead us) if we can't work it out, but often they never even hear of issues many of us have worked out among ourselves.

Marymog

Mar 7, 2017
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Do you take your differences to several other ordinary people sitting in the pews around you (the actual "church") or do you take them to Catholic officials elected by a governing body you don't even know?
If you are asking about doctrinal or dogma issues you take it to the Church; just like scripture says.

If, as you believe, the ordinary person sitting in the pew is the ACTUAL CHURCH then which ONE of them is the pillar and foundation of Truth? They all can't be the pillar and foundation of truth.

If any ordinary person sitting in the pew next to me on Sunday is "The Church" then why didn't the Apostles go to the people of the Church and take a poll to guide their decision at the Council of Jerusalem? Most votes of the guy sitting in the pew win and decides doctrines? Why did they set up a heirracial church? What if one of the Apostles is preaching the gospel to a group of 100 people and they all reject his testimony? Does that apostle then have to submit to them or does he shake the dust off of his feet and move to the next town? We know what scripture says.

Scripture says to stand firm and hold fast to the teachings we passed on to you and the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others. It doesn't say take a poll of the ordinary people sitting in the pew and decide if what was taught to you is correct. It says opposite of that. It says when two brothers sitting in the pew disagree take it to one or two other brothers. If he refuses to listen the three or four of you TAKE IT TO THE CHURCH. If he refuses to LISTEN TO THE CHURCH treat him as a heathen. Does the ordinary person in the pew have the authority to call me and treat me as a heathen??

If majority rules then you should be a Catholic since there are more of us than Protestants. ;)

Curious Mary

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

The definition of the church is that it is the body of Christ, composed of every member, defined as individuals within the body. These members of the body of Christ are defined as those who have believed in and continue to believe in the gospel as defined in 1 Corinthians 15:1-4.

Stranger

Oct 5, 2016
Texas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Because I am human and we all sin.

You?

Mary

Willie T is correct. Being a sinner is not being a hypocrite. If I claimed I was not a sinner, now that I am a believer, then I would be a hypocrite. But I don't claim that and neither do you.

Or, let's say I carried the 'right to life banner' loudly. I preached it constantly. But then, let's say, my daughter got pregnant out of wedlock and I advised her to get an abortion. That would be hypocritical.

But our daily walk with God, which includes failings, and sin, is not being a hypocrite.

Stranger

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We should all try to be the best kind of hypocrite...for a hypocrite is defined as someone who says one thing and does another...

I should strive to be the kind of hypocrite that calls myself a sinner and yet practically lives a holy life...that is the best kind of hypocrite to be.

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When sharing the faith every so often as we are called to do it can't be uncommon to encounter the phrase "I'm not a Christian because all Christians are hypocrites" or something similar.

How to respond?

Have you ever lied? Yes?
Do you think lying is right? No?

Have you ever cheated? Yes?
Do you think cheating is right? No?

Have you ever stolen? Yes?
Do you think stealing is right? No?

Would that make you a hypocrite? Yes?

Would that therefore make you a Christian?

:rolleyes:

Glory to God,
Taken

Willie T

Heaven Sent
Staff member
Sep 14, 2017
St. Petersburg Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
How to respond?

Have you ever lied? Yes?
Do you think lying is right? No?

Have you ever cheated? Yes?
Do you think cheating is right? No?

Have you ever stolen? Yes?
Do you think stealing is right? No?

Would that make you a hypocrite? Yes?

Would that therefore make you a Christian?

:rolleyes:

Glory to God,
Taken
Actually, none of that wrongdoing makes a person a hypocrite. (We really do seem to have some serious problems on this forum when it comes to understanding the English language.)

Reactions: bbyrd009

Taken

Staff member
Encounter Team
Feb 6, 2018
United States
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Actually, none of that wrongdoing makes a person a hypocrite. (We really do seem to have some serious problems on this forum when it comes to understanding the English language.)

Guess I should have expounded further, to ask, If the person would consider "themselves" a good person...

Glory to God,
Taken

Reactions: Willie T

friend of

Sep 22, 2018
B.C.
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
As difficult as it may sound, this is the Biblical answer. Regardless of what others do, the Lord calls those who are His to make others ashamed of accusing us of evil when they see what kind of lives we truly lead:

Hi Hidden. I fully agree with what you and justbyfaith are saying. Matthew 5:16 1 Peter 2:12 1 Peter 3:16 come to mind.

I don't think it's something you should try to redirect away from. It is at the heart of the spiritual war, and your righteous conduct reveals the reality of Christ in you.

When I'm speaking with someone outside the faith who may not have the best opinion of it, I'd like to be prepared to assuage their criticisms and present Christianity in a favorable light. To gird that belt of truth and be ready to cast down imaginations that set themselves up against knowledge of God. Sometimes people are hedged in with brairs of error that choke their spiritual life and cut them off from basic truths. Is it not our duty to engage with them, challenge their errors and salt our conversation so as to invite them to the party? I realize not everyone can be persuaded into liking us, and that at the end of the day it's never going to be my actions or tongue alone responsible for leading a wayward soul to Christ. It is still important to bring the faith up if only that Jesus should enter their minds for the moment. For others to recognize our righteous conduct is a good thing, but if faith is never brought up, how will they know we are Christians at all, and how will they then know to praise God for it?

I'm sort of wondering if 2 Corinthians 10:5 is speaking not only about internal conflict but also external?

justbyfaith

Jun 28, 2018
San Pedro
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
For others to recognize our righteous conduct is a good thing, but if faith is never brought up, how will they know we are Christians at all, and how will they then know to praise God for it?

Indeed, this makes me think of

Phm 1:6, That the communication of thy faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing which is in you in Christ Jesus.

The teaching that I have on this has to do with the priestly garments in the temple. They wore a basic belt around their waist that had bells and pomegranates attached to it: a bell and a pomegranate, a bell and a pomegranate.

You would hear a noise; you would look over and see fruit.

Therefore, speaking out about our faith isn't alone what our witness is all about; and neither is our witness all about bearing the right kind of fruit (living a holy life).

As you said, if we live a holy life and never speak up about our faith, how will the other person attribute our holiness to God?

But if we only speak up and do not have a holy life to back up our communication of the gospel to them, our witness will be ineffectual.

Last edited:
Reactions: friend of

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Right. I was talking more about people that I'm not really around a whole lot and who don't have a lot of time to form much of an opinion on my behavior and spirit.

That's tougher. I think in those cases you just have treat them as kindly and respectfully as possible while around them, and maybe tell them that you hope the Lord directs their path to Christians who live out a better testimony. Your tone and your kindness when you speak to them may come through, though.

Who knows? Maybe the Lord will bring you back around to them again. :)

Hidden In Him

May 10, 2018
Lafayette, LA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I realize not everyone can be persuaded into liking us, and that at the end of the day it's never going to be my actions or tongue alone responsible for leading a wayward soul to Christ. It is still important to bring the faith up if only that Jesus should enter their minds for the moment. For others to recognize our righteous conduct is a good thing, but if faith is never brought up, how will they know we are Christians at all, and how will they then know to praise God for it?

See, the scriptures seem to suggest a pattern to expect. Let me quote the 1st Peter passage again:

For so is the will of God, that by well-doing ye should put to silence the ignorance of foolish men... But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, they may be ashamed who revile your good conduct in Christ. (1 Peter 2:15, 1 Peter 3:15-16)

The pattern suggested here is to expect that most will indeed reject your presentation of the gospel at first. Not only should you expect that they will reject it, but they will speak evil of you personally as well. This suggests that already in NT times Satan was conditioning the unsaved to think (and speak) evil of Christians. But the turn comes when they see your good conduct in spite of being spoken evil of. That's where the real power is: In proving to people that the Spirit of love, power and a sound mind is in you, and it is stronger than the spirits of fear and anger that govern them.

So yes. Step #1 is to bring up your faith. Step #2 is to anticipate rejection. Step #3 is to return that rejection with greater kindness and respect.

Then it's up to them to decide if they will believe, but at least they were shown proof that the Living God abides within you.
I'm sort of wondering if 2 Corinthians 10:5 is speaking not only about internal conflict but also external?

It's primarily about external conflict. A lot of people misapply it as talking about dealing with one's own "imaginations," but the context clearly suggests it's talking about dealing with the arguments the enemy raises up through others to refute the gospel.

aspen

“"The harvest is plentiful but the workers are few
Apr 25, 2012
West Coast
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
When sharing the faith every so often as we are called to do it can't be uncommon to encounter the phrase "I'm not a Christian because all Christians are hypocrites" or something similar.

How do you refocus the conversation away from negativity and back on promoting the gospel in a positive way?

For myself, I have to nod and agree and respect that they feel this way before going on about my own experience with the gospel and how it's completely changed my life, hoping that they will respect in kind.

How do you demonstrate to acquaintances that Christians aren't all hypocrites?

Beats the alternative.....
Giving up all standards

Reactions: Helen
D

Dave L

Hypocrite = actor. We see People whom God changes who live Christian lives. And we see people who think you must do the things Christians do in order to be one. Since Christians believe, they think you must choose to believe. Since Christians repent, they repent in order to be one. And so on. But this is the main problem with salvation by works. It turns people into hypocrites.

charity

Nov 26, 2017
UK
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom

How do you refocus the conversation away from negativity and back on promoting the gospel in a positive way?

For myself, I have to nod and agree and respect that they feel this way before going on about my own experience with the gospel and how it's completely changed my life, hoping that they will respect in kind.

How do you demonstrate to acquaintances that Christians aren't all hypocrites?
'For the wages of sin is death;
but the gift of God is eternal life
through Jesus Christ our Lord.'

(Rom 6:23)

Hi there, @friend of,

If someone were giving you a gift, you would not refuse it on the basis of the behaviour of those who had also received one from the same hand. To do so would be 'to cut off your nose to spite your face.' God is offering you the gift of life: it would be foolish not to reach out your hand and take it on those grounds.

The wages of sin is death, but the Lord Jesus Christ took your sin upon Himself and paid it's penalty: He died, that you may live. The opportunity to receive that gift, so dearly bought for you, is there for you to take, why would you refuse it? - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and though your body die, you will live again, in resurrection life. That is the promise being made to you. Why would you refuse it? Consider the alternative! - 'Death' - The end of life!

'But these are written,
that ye might believe
that Jesus is the Christ,
the Son of God;
and that believing
ye might have life
through His name.'

(John 20:31)

We will all have to stand before the judgement seat of Christ: but for the believer in the Lord Jesus Christ there is no condemnation; but for the unbeliever there is the prospect of judgement and death. Is this what you choose? Simply on the basis of the behaviour of others?! How foolish!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited: