How does an adult become a Catholic?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Guys and girls, opinions on Catholicism is not what this thread is about.... If you wish to debate Catholicism take it to another thread or start up another thread, this thread has been derailed enough in the last 24 hours.

And please be more respectable to our Christian Catholic Brothers and Sisters.

Have a read
Christianity Board Statement of Faith

Catholics and Orthodox members are recognized as Christians on this site, they are welcome to these forums, this is a non-denominational site, so every Christian denomination is welcome to this site.

Last edited:

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The U.S. Supreme Court ruled today that Catholic foster care agencies can reject gay couples from adopting children. This is a huge victory for religious liberty and a resounding defeat for LGBTQ activists.
read more here

Josho

Millennial Christian
Staff member
Jul 19, 2015
The Land of Aus
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Now for a Catholic related thread of a different kind, I did ask this question on another thread, but didn't really get a proper answer for it. I am just asking out of interest.

What is the process for an adult to become a Catholic? Is it easier for those who are already Christian of another denomination to become a Catholic? Do we have any Catholic members who became a Catholic as an adult on this site? What was your experience like?

@BreadOfLife @Philip James @Illuminator @theefaith @Mungo @soul @devin553344

@Marymog

I saw you have came back, welcome back to the site, correct me if I am wrong, but I think you may have became a Catholic as an adult, because I recall you saying in another thread you went to a protestant church at first but did not agree with the way they did communion at that particular Church.

Mungo

May 23, 2012
England
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
@Mungo what about you? Did you become a Catholic as an adult?
No, I was baptised as a baby - went to Catholic schools.
However by the time I left secondary school I was effectively an agnostic.

I came back to the Catholic Church later in life.

Reactions: Josho

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
and this is on-topic HOW?????
It's a reply to post #63 "That’s the weight you put on witness testimony? Thankfully, God knows it has weight as well as every court ever."
Catholics can't start threads without snotty off topic remarks, starting with post #3, so there is no such thing as "off topic" for any Catholic OP. It's always open season against Catholics on this board. I don't see you complaining of "off topic" when a JW or a radical reformist butts in with their standard anti-Catholic vitriol. I don't see you making any "on topic" contributions. Anti-Catholics attempt to derail every thread with their nonsense, reports go ignored, thus there is no principled reason for me to stay on topic.

Reactions: Mungo

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Now for a Catholic related thread of a different kind, I did ask this question on another thread, but didn't really get a proper answer for it. I am just asking out of interest.

What is the process for an adult to become a Catholic? Is it easier for those who are already Christian of another denomination to become a Catholic? Do we have any Catholic members who became a Catholic as an adult on this site? What was your experience like?

@BreadOfLife @Philip James @Illuminator @theefaith @Mungo @soul @devin553344

While I wasn't an adult when I became Catholic as I was a cradle Catholic, I can answer this for you.

You would speak to a priest at your local Catholic church about wanting to become Catholic. Then you'll sign up for RCIA classes. Which stands for Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults.

If you're already baptized by a typical Christian church which believes in the trinity I do not think you'll need to be baptized again. You'll have to however do the other sacraments, such as confession, first communion and confirmation.

Hope that helps! I have left the Catholic church as I don't agree with it fully and have since joined the Episcopal Church. Not that I attend church currently but that's not the church's fault. More an issue with my ex- wife having final say on religious upbringing for out two kids and her only wanting them to attend a Baptist church or no church at all and me getting them every weekend keeps me from attending church at this time.

However, that is not what this thread is about. Just mentioned it to keep things honest.

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
No, I was baptised as a baby - went to Catholic schools.
However by the time I left secondary school I was effectively an agnostic.

I came back to the Catholic Church later in life.
Me too. I spent 30 years in and out of Protestant denominations, prayer meetings and Bible studies until I met real Catholics. It was an eye opener. I met many good, holy Protestants in that time. For the most part, they didn't bash Catholicism the way its done on this board.

Naomanos

Jul 5, 2021
Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I would like to clarify one point. I have nothing against the Catholic church, I just don't agree with it fully anymore. For others the Catholic church is perfect for them and I would never pull anyone away from it, at least not on purpose.

It's just no longer the church for me.

Jane_Doe22

Jul 29, 2018
Mid-west USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
@Marymog

I saw you have came back, welcome back to the site, correct me if I am wrong, but I think you may have became a Catholic as an adult, because I recall you saying in another thread you went to a protestant church at first but did not agree with the way they did communion at that particular Church.
Sharing my experiences learning about Catholicism, as a friendly never-Catholic whom just wants to better understand and love Catholic folks.

My learning about Catholicism can be broken down into two phases. The first was middle-school through young adulthood, wherein my best friend was (at the start) a devout Catholic. My friend & her family were a place of refuge for me through those growing years, and while we didn't share a denomination, we shared common values. I very much enjoyed hearing about her growth in her faith classes/growth, I supported her and cheered her on through word & deed. I attended her Confirmation, Easter/Holy Week festivities, random carnivals, of course hearing the day-to-day stuff, etc. And of course, I asked a million questions along the way trying to understand more and more :) . Eventually my friend effectively left her faith for a more worldly lifestyle, a change which also ended our friendship.

The second phase of me learning about Catholicism came years later, in which as an adult I decided I wanted to learn more academically about the faith. Over nearly a year, I read Catholic texts, asked knowledgeable Catholics about different subjects, and generally any high-quality thing I could get my hands on.

Some subtopics to talk about here: admittedly, I did have some frustration working with my local Catholic congregation-- they seemed to only have one track for checking things out which was "come back for our classes for potential/new converts that start in 8 months from now at 7 pm on Mondays". Umm... I have to work Monday evenings do I really have to wait 8 months to ask questions? I'm not interested in conversion. "Oh, it'll be worth it, and surely you can re-arrange your work schedule to accommodate it". That was frustrating, and I probably could have pushed the matter to get something else scheduled, but I felt doing so would be rude. After that most of my investigation was with Catholic folks I reached out online rather than with that congregation.

In the hypothetical universe where I were to have desired to convert, it would have involved taking that class (it's like ~7 months long), accepting the Catholic faith myself, promising to live my life according to Catholic teaching, and going through various religious rituals of Catholic baptism, first communion, & confirmation (they would not have accepted my previous ones).

Illuminator

Jan 11, 2020
Hamilton
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
and this is on-topic HOW?????
It's a reply to post #63 "That’s the weight you put on witness testimony? Thankfully, God knows it has weight as well as every court ever."
Catholics can't start threads without snotty off topic remarks, starting with post #3, so there is no such thing as "off topic" for any OP that is initially addressed to Catholics.

amigo de christo

Sep 12, 2020
San angelo
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Guys and girls, opinions on Catholicism is not what this thread is about.... If you wish to debate Catholicism take it to another thread or start up another thread, this thread has been derailed enough in the last 24 hours.

And please be more respectable to our Christian Catholic Brothers and Sisters.

Have a read
Christianity Board Statement of Faith

Catholics and Orthodox members are recognized as Christians on this site, they are welcome to these forums, this is a non-denominational site, so every Christian denomination is welcome to this site.
Just cause folks warn dont mean they dont love . Truth is Love would warn for it desires none to perish . The RCC is deadly dangerous my friend .
That is about all i have to say on the matter . You all may continue with the post . I did what i could .

Curtis

Apr 6, 2021
KC
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I'm a follower of Jesus who is not allied to any traditional church. And I have to say that none of the Catholics in my family are born again or Spirit filled which is the only way to be a Christian. They get embarrassed talking about Jesus. Some Catholics I have met online meet that criteria though and some who belonged to my church fellowship left the Catholic church do do so. Mostly though I have found that Catholics prefer to follow their churches doctrines than to follow Jesus.

As a quick lesson why Martin Luther left the RCC after discovering the book of Romans, read the way Paul told the Roman Catholic Sect to be saved, in Romans 10:8-13, to the way the RCC teaches to saved.

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Spoken like a true RCC soldier . I never said we cant pray FOR ONE ANOTHER
just not to one another or to the saints or angels or mary . You are running out of gas my friend . But that is a good thing .
Come to the glorious LORD JESUS and i shall pray FOR YOU , not to you and TO GOD for YOU .
They are one another also, all are in Christ and in the communion of saints

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
They got you heavily brainwashed . I know your doctrine and its false .
Asking someone is not the same as Asking one while PRAYING to them .
If i ask for some corn on the cob , that dont mean i am praying to one .
They got you all twisted up real bad . And you love to have it so or you would not believe it .
Anyone knows there is a difference between asking one and praying to one . ROME GOT YOU TRAINED MY FRIEND .
BUT have no fear , i have come to do all i can , BY GRACE to help steer you outta the R double C . BUT DO HURRY my friend .
for a reprobate mind is as a reprobate mind does . And if you hurry not and tarry , YOU MIGHT NEVER COME to the TRUTH .
As long as you know the graces come from the merit of chirst’s passion and death and He get the glory

theefaith

Aug 25, 2020
Dallas
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I have no idea what you mean that I am denying the saints. They are not God. I don’t deny the saints but I don’t pray TO them.
Then you deny Christ for his passion and death are the source of merits that produce graces for the communion is saints

Status
Not open for further replies.