How does God lead?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Enoch111

May 27, 2018
Alberta
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
The first time Rhema is used in the New Testament is during Jesus' forty-day temptation by Satan.
Rhema has a broad definition:

Strong's Concordance
rhéma: a word, by impl. a matter
Original Word: ῥῆμα, ατος, τό
Part of Speech: Noun, Neuter
Transliteration: rhéma
Phonetic Spelling: (hray'-mah)
Definition: a word, by implication a matter
Usage: a thing spoken, (a) a word or saying of any kind, as command, report, promise, (b) a thing, matter, business.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon
STRONGS NT 4487: ῤῆμα
...properly, that which is or has been uttered by the living voice, thing spoken, word
....any sound produced by the voice and having a definite meaning
...the word by which something is commanded, directed, enjoined
...speech, discourse
...words, sayings
...an utterance, declaration

Reactions: GodsGrace

Helen

Oct 22, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Well folks...Dave L started this thread.
Sadly he will just keep saying the same thing over and over.
He obviously has had no one to one experience with the Holy Spirit.
He is a closed book. Just him and his bible.

His argument is silly it has no foundation.

I leave you guys to it...I am opting out of this silly thread...I don't waste my time arguing with someone who has thrown the Guide , teacher and Comforter of Today..."out of the window."
I have too much respect for the things of the Spirit to listen to this stuff any more.

Bless you all....Helen.

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Still lacking solid scriptural evidence.
No, there is no lack of scriptural evidence, I just didn't quote the overwhelming amount that there is, assuming that you know that God has made such decrees and is in the business of spiritual revelation. That elephant is indeed in the room, but if you are going to deny it, I can certainly set it in your lap...but let me get this straight in no uncertain terms:

You do not believe that God's decrees are His word, and neither is His spiritual dealings throughout the ages...and you actually want me to document it for you when you yourself already have the scriptures that document it?

Reactions: Episkopos

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The discipline we should observe is to never say anything scripture does not first say. It's hard to do because of our indoctrination by different groups. But if we accept the challenge, we find only few of our beliefs come from scripture.
I have given you my testimony and told you - I had no indoctrination of any kind: Direct spiritual contact with God first, then the scriptures.

Did you not understand what I said?

Reactions: Helen

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Again, without scripture I'm not allowed to believe you.
Certainly, you don't have to believe me or anyone else, but you are being silly.

Did Israel need scripture to believe the prophets? No, they just killed them. Did Israel need scripture to know that Jesus' miracles were of God? No, they just crucified Him. Did the Jews and the gentiles need scripture to prove that Paul had met Christ on the road to Damascus? No. But now you do, and require it?

Who are you, that you have your own standard, which no, is not biblical, but the teachings of men?

Reactions: Helen and Episkopos

ScottA

Feb 24, 2011
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Any visions today have no support from scripture. Scripture thoroughly furnishes us. You say it does not, more is needed.

“All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.” (2 Timothy 3:16–17) (KJV 1900)
That [again] is not biblical.

What precedence is there for "visions today" being any different than those of the prophets of old, before the scriptures were?

There is none. That is just you making up your own standard or following the teachings of men. And this you do in complete disregard to the prophecy of Joel which was confirmed for these times by Peter - in writing...in the scriptures.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helen and Episkopos

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
So only people who pray as you do receive answers to prayer? Again, you sound too much like Hagin and his offshoots for comfort. As a Christian, I'm not allowed to believe you unless you produce solid scriptural evidence for what you are saying.

If you are referring to Kenneth Hagin Sr., thank you. He believed what the word said - all of it, not like Cessationists who delete what they can't experience due to unbelief. I don't know anything about Jr.

Many pray amiss. I choose to obey a scriptural way to pray.

1 John 5:14-15 4 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.

John 15:7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

Rhema: When you hear God's voice tell you what to pray.

John 15:7 above means that you pray the rhema that abides in you - not your own will, but His. But you must first be able to hear God's voice. My sheep hear my voice. It is literal.

Last edited:

1stCenturyLady

Jun 26, 2018
Tennessee
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
What do you mean by a rhema before you pray?

God just speaks to me and tells me what to pray. A rhema is a spoken word by someone. In this case - God. My sheep hear My voice.

When He tells me what to pray, I do, and it comes to pass immediately. It is the only way I know of to pray God's will, except through prayer language. I remember once when I was traveling alone and was having car trouble. I was going uphill 30 miles outside Oklahoma City, on Interstate 40, and all of a sudden there was a loud grinding sound coming from the underneath of my vehicle. I could feel the vibrations with my feet. God whispered to pray John 15:7. "If you abide in Me and My words abide in you, you may ask what you will and it will be done for you." Ask for a "Ford dealership." So I prayed, Lord I am abiding in You, and Your words do abide in me so I ask for a Ford dealership right now! I crested the hill, there was an off ramp, and a Ford dealership at the bottom of it, out in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
The discipline we should observe is to never say anything scripture does not first say. It's hard to do because of our indoctrination by different groups. But if we accept the challenge, we find only few of our beliefs come from scripture.
Hi Dave
I haven't really been reading along,,,
Don't really know what the argument is about.

I'd like to ask, since I don't really know what you believe...
Could you tell me what we believe that does Not come from scripture??

GodsGrace

Aug 29, 2017
Tuscany
Faith
Christian
Country
Italy
I believe God does speak and interact with his children personally and that we grow into this relationship. But I don't take visions, vibes, rhema, messages from others as authoritative (especially not over scripture)
Sounds good to me.
I wonder if this is what's being argued???

Episkopos

May 17, 2011
Montreal
Faith
Christian
Country
Canada
Prov. 8:34 Blessed is the man that hears me, watching daily at my gates, waiting at the posts of my doors.

35 For whoso finds me finds life, and shall obtain favour of the Lord

Reactions: Helen
D

Dave L

Hi Dave
I haven't really been reading along,,,
Don't really know what the argument is about.

I'd like to ask, since I don't really know what you believe...
Could you tell me what we believe that does Not come from scripture??
We should begin a thread because much of what Christians believe today comes from sources other than scripture. You can check yourself out by pick something you believe, and then documenting it with scripture. Some examples of popular false doctrines are, denial of the trinity, denial of Christ's deity, 7 year tribulation, pre-trib rapture, speaking in tongues, prophecy, visions, millennium, and plenty more.

D

Dave L

If you are referring to Kenneth Hagin Sr., thank you. He believed what the word said - all of it, not like Cessationists who delete what they can't experience due to unbelief. I don't know anything about Jr.

Many pray amiss. I choose to obey a scriptural way to pray.

1 John 5:14-15 4 Now this is the confidence that we have in Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. 15 And if we know that He hears us, whatever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we have asked of Him.

John 15:7 If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you.

Rhema: When you hear God's voice tell you what to pray.

John 15:7 above means that you pray the rhema that abides in you - not your own will, but His. But you must first be able to hear God's voice. My sheep hear my voice. It is literal.
Hagin had zero scripture to support most of his claims. As did Kenyon and any of his other successors. Beyond the bible you are in the devil's territory.

D

Dave L

That [again] is not biblical.

What precedence is there for "visions today" being any different than those of the prophets of old, before the scriptures were?

There is none. That is just you making up your own standard or following the teachings of men. And this you do in complete disregard to the prophecy of Joel which was confirmed for these times by Peter - in writing...in the scriptures.
Prove your point from scripture. I'm not allowed to believe anything that scripture does not support.

D

Dave L

Certainly, you don't have to believe me or anyone else, but you are being silly.

Did Israel need scripture to believe the prophets? No, they just killed them. Did Israel need scripture to know that Jesus' miracles were of God? No, they just crucified Him. Did the Jews and the gentiles need scripture to prove that Paul had met Christ on the road to Damascus? No. But now you do, and require it?

Who are you, that you have your own standard, which no, is not biblical, but the teachings of men?
Again, I would not be following Christ to believe anything not originating in scripture.

D

Dave L

I have given you my testimony and told you - I had no indoctrination of any kind: Direct spiritual contact with God first, then the scriptures.

Did you not understand what I said?
We still need scriptural support to verify your experience.

D

Dave L

‘Forbid not to speak in tongues’ (1 Cor. 14:39)
“Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away. For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.” (1 Corinthians 13:7–10) (KJV 1900)

Is the bible perfect? Does it do a better job than the revelatory gifts did? (Be careful, we are speaking about God's word here).