How does the Devil find out what we are thinking?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Hobie

Jun 11, 2009
South Florida
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We know the Devil isnt omnipresent, so how does he temp us, how does he know what makes us stumble, how does see what we are thinking and tempt us as even Jesus had to face it.

Matthew 4:1
Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.

Do we betray our thoughts and if so, how does he pick it up if he is not there...?

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
The only Adversary I have had to face is myself. As they say we are our own worst enemy. Jesus enemies which by the spirit he battled with was the temptation in order to take control over the world he had seen. (Israel who becomes adversary to Jesus), which is why he states thou shall not tempt thy Lord thy God. Today our own lust is from ourselves powered by the darkness which rejected the light. Similarly as Israel rejects Jesus for darkness.
”This letter is from James, a slave of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ. I am writing to the “twelve tribes”—Jewish believers scattered abroad. Greetings! Dear brothers and sisters, when troubles of any kind come your way, consider it an opportunity for great joy. For you know that when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be perfect and complete, needing nothing. If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. He will not rebuke you for asking. But when you ask him, be sure that your faith is in God alone. Do not waver, for a person with divided loyalty is as unsettled as a wave of the sea that is blown and tossed by the wind. Such people should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Their loyalty is divided between God and the world, and they are unstable in everything they do. Believers who are poor have something to boast about, for God has honored them. And those who are rich should boast that God has humbled them. They will fade away like a little flower in the field. The hot sun rises and the grass withers; the little flower droops and falls, and its beauty fades away. In the same way, the rich will fade away with all of their achievements. God blesses those who patiently endure testing and temptation. Afterward they will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him. And remember, when you are being tempted, do not say, “God is tempting me.” God is never tempted to do wrong, and he never tempts anyone else. Temptation comes from our own desires, which entice us and drag us away. These desires give birth to sinful actions. And when sin is allowed to grow, it gives birth to death. So don’t be misled, my dear brothers and sisters. Whatever is good and perfect is a gift coming down to us from God our Father, who created all the lights in the heavens. He never changes or casts a shifting shadow. He chose to give birth to us by giving us his true word. And we, out of all creation, became his prized possession. Understand this, my dear brothers and sisters: You must all be quick to listen, slow to speak, and slow to get angry. Human anger does not produce the righteousness God desires. So get rid of all the filth and evil in your lives, and humbly accept the word God has planted in your hearts, for it has the power to save your souls. But don’t just listen to God’s word. You must do what it says. Otherwise, you are only fooling yourselves. For if you listen to the word and don’t obey, it is like glancing at your face in a mirror. You see yourself, walk away, and forget what you look like. But if you look carefully into the perfect law that sets you free, and if you do what it says and don’t forget what you heard, then God will bless you for doing it. If you claim to be religious but don’t control your tongue, you are fooling yourself, and your religion is worthless. Pure and genuine religion in the sight of God the Father means caring for orphans and widows in their distress and refusing to let the world corrupt you.“
‭‭James‬ ‭1‬:‭1‬-‭27‬ ‭NLT‬‬

Stash

Mar 26, 2024
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan cannot read your mind, so keep your mouth shut. However, God can read every thought you have that’s who I worry about.
We are in the flesh body. We are going to sin. We are to REPENT. And do your very best to turn away from sin.
Satan has one more temptation plans for us with of course God‘s approval to give us the greatest tribulation we ever had. Since we’ve had wars, our whole existence, I assume this tribulation will be completely different (peace and prosperity) so much that you worship the devil
How well do you know your Bible enough to pass the test?

Reactions: The Learner

Jack

May 3, 2022
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Satan cannot read your mind, so keep your mouth shut. However, God can read every thought you have that’s who I worry about.
We are in the flesh body. We are going to sin. We are to REPENT. And do your very best to turn away from sin.
Satan has one more temptation plans for us with of course God‘s approval to give us the greatest tribulation we ever had. Since we’ve had wars, our whole existence, I assume this tribulation will be completely different (peace and prosperity) so much that you worship the devil
How well do you know your Bible enough to pass the test?
Very good points indeed. Satan is the god of this world and incredibly intelligent in ever wicked way!

Revelation 12:9
9 So the great dragon was cast out, that serpent of old, called the Devil and Satan, who deceives the whole world; he was cast to the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. Satan has LOTS of messengers trying to convince people that he doesn't exist!

Papa Smurf

Jul 6, 2023
Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
We know the Devil isnt omnipresent, so how does he temp us, how does he know what makes us stumble, how does see what we are thinking and tempt us as even Jesus had to face it.
Hi Hobie, sadly, I don't think that we are much of a mystery to our common enemy :( After all, he was successful with us right out of the starting gate (remember what happened to our, at that point unfallen, progenitors in the Garden), and I think that he continues to use the same, basic ploy with us today (what Dr. Geisler refers to as the three D's of the devil, Doubt, Deny, Disobey, in regard to the truth/God and His word).

Also, it wouldn't take someone as highly intelligent and clever as the devil is to recognize and exploit/attack the areas our greatest, moral weaknesses (e.g. sex).

We just aren't that complicated :oops:

Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil.
Do we betray our thoughts and if so, how does he pick it up if he is not there...?
Sex, money, power, pride, selfishness/self-centeredness, thinking and acting in accord with our emotions/feelings alone, apart from the truth, etc. Like I said, our race-wide weaknesses are easy to recognize, so there is no need for the devil and his demons to read our minds (even if they could).

If you really want to know more about this, about how the demons tempt us, read the C.S. Lewis Christian classic called, The Screwtape Letters. It's actually a collection of short stories that he wrote and read on a series of radio broadcasts in England during WWII, if memory serves.

The other interesting thing to know about it before reading it is that Lewis wrote it from the demons', POV. Basically, its an ongoing conversation between two of Satan's tempters/demons, "Wormwood", and his uncle, "Screwtape", and their conversations concern the best ways to go about tempting their "patients" (meaning us) and why.

Also, when you see the word "Enemy" in this book, remember that, unlike other Christian books, it's actually referring to God (because, again, this book is written from the demons POV .. to help us understand how they think).

It's a GREAT read, and it will help you understand what demons do in our lives and why (which also means that it will help you recognize their attacks against you for what they truly are, and far more quickly :)).

God bless you!!

--Papa Smurf
p.s. - you can read it for free, here. Or, if you don't mind spending a little $$ to buy it, this is (by far) the best edition, The Screwtape Letters, Annotated Edition (as it has so much additional, important information included, about both the book and about Lewis .. Hardback and Kindle).

Last edited:
Reactions: The Learner

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
An Advesary to light is darkness. To do good to your enemies is partaking in the light. To harm your neighbor and plot murder upon them, is partaking in darkness, considering my belief that Satan is done away with. Darkness in this life and in the afterlife continually exists in opposition to anything of the light. God separated the light from the darkness, when he spoke and “light was made.”

”Are there any among you who are really wise and understanding? Then you should show your wisdom by living right. You should do what is good with humility. A wise person does not boast. If you are selfish and have bitter jealousy in your hearts, you have no reason to boast. Your boasting is a lie that hides the truth. That kind of “wisdom” does not come from God. That “wisdom” comes from the world. It is not spiritual. It is from the devil. Where there is jealousy and selfishness, there will be confusion and every kind of evil. But the wisdom that comes from God is like this: First, it is pure. It is also peaceful, gentle, and easy to please. This wisdom is always ready to help people who have trouble and to do good for others. This wisdom is always fair and honest. People who work for peace in a peaceful way get the blessings that come from right living.“
‭‭James‬ ‭3‬:‭13‬-‭18‬ ‭ERV‬‬

Stumpmaster

Apr 5, 2009
Hamilton, New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

The metaphysical realm of conceptual realities is full of metaphorical imagery. The Lord's Prayer is sometimes translated with the phrase, "Deliver us from the Evil One", so as followers of Christ we accept by faith and believe that the Evil One exists, and that we will be delivered from him if we follow the leading of the Lord our God and Saviour.

quietthinker

May 4, 2018
FNQ
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia

How does the Devil find out what we are thinking?​

he goes to google

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
The only Adversary I have had to face is myself. As they say we are our own worst enemy. Jesus enemies which by the spirit he battled with was the temptation in order to take control over the world he had seen. (Israel who becomes adversary to Jesus), which is why he states thou shall not tempt thy Lord thy God. Today our own lust is from ourselves powered by the darkness which rejected the light. Similarly as Israel rejects Jesus for darkness.
I've seen demons. They are as real as your letter box. And more powerful than you can imagine. But not more powerful than Christ who is your only defense.

Body language. 6000 years of study.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I've seen demons. They are as real as your letter box. And more powerful than you can imagine. But not more powerful than Christ who is your only defense.
Was on the hunt for spirits, enter run down hospital, play ouija with friends, planchette fell off the board, all us ran to get to the building. Embries eyes rolled by in her head for a moment and the she acted strangely for while before return back to…

Demon possession? A stroke? Every personal experience is different, and while I do believe there exist two kinds of wisdom, one being of the world (which is demonic or “demon-like.”)

To me while they may personal and subjective, I also would say people tend to love the darkness more than the light. Do we have to have faith that demons exist that can’t be seen possessing people? Is it a medical condition happening? I know I believe spirits of the world exist and influence us and our desires lead us into temptation, “spirit of hatred”, “spirit of malignant”, etc. and spiritual darkness, which is what we wrestle against, the will to harm others by our own decision, in denying love, peace, forgiven, mercy.

Thank you for sharing, Brakelight.

Brakelite

Feb 6, 2020
Melbourne
brakelite.wordpress.com
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
Was on the hunt for spirits, enter run down hospital, play ouija with friends, planchette fell off the board, all us ran to get to the building. Embries eyes rolled by in her head for a moment and the she acted strangely for while before return back to…

Demon possession? A stroke? Every personal experience is different, and while I do believe there exist two kinds of wisdom, one being of the world (which is demonic or “demon-like.”)

To me while they may personal and subjective, I also would say people tend to love the darkness more than the light. Do we have to have faith that demons exist that can’t be seen possessing people? Is it a medical condition happening? I know I believe spirits of the world exist and influence us and our desires lead us into temptation, “spirit of hatred”, “spirit of malignant”, etc. and spiritual darkness, which is what we wrestle against, the will to harm others by our own decision, in denying love, peace, forgiven, mercy.

Thank you for sharing, Brakelight.
I wasn't looking for them. And I didn't run. I couldn't. The fear I felt wasn't some childish freeky teenage prank game playing with something I didn't know about. I had just a couple of weeks previously met Jesus. I was born again and rejoicing in a faith I had never known existed. The enemy came to me. I didn't go looking for them. You don't know what you don't know. But stop being so self assured and adamant about matters you know nothing about.

Several years later a close friend of mine and neighbour did become possessed. She had been digging into cultural tribal spiritualism in a manner her husband had warned her about was too deep. He asked me, the only Christian he knew, to help him. My wife and I went to his place immediately. The moment his wife saw me, she flew into a crazy rage and tried to attack me. No reason. No logic. Just blind rage. If she could have she would have killed me. Her husband, our good friend, neighbour, and fellow worker and hunter, manager to hold her down while she glared at me with such hatred I had never before witnessed. She spoke to me in a language her husband was fluent in, but in a dialect known only to their ancient ancestors and a small select line of tribal priests. A dialect she had never learned. But there's more. She spoke in a voice not her own. It was male. Matthew, stop being so certain regarding stuff you have never experienced. Satan is real. His demons are real. They are no more bound or in prison than you or me.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I wasn't looking for them. And I didn't run. I couldn't. The fear I felt wasn't some childish freeky teenage prank game playing with something I didn't know about. I had just a couple of weeks previously met Jesus. I was born again and rejoicing in a faith I had never known existed. The enemy came to me. I didn't go looking for them. You don't know what you don't know. But stop being so self assured and adamant about matters you know nothing about.
I’m just expressing my experience with other human beings. Things of this world are capable of distorting a soul, to doing horrible things. Like molesting children, or being a Husband who has children and controls everything around them, strict rules, guidelines, and no time to be children, or vice versa, a wife doing the same thing. Only allowing their children to see them as the authorities and never Yahavah our Father who is the authority who writes in the minds and hearts of those that are his.

If you are sure in people being possessed and it’s by a demon, then by all means. Some say the poor people on Skid Row, and their issues are because they are in ‘fact demon diseased ridden people.” Then by all means, deem them as such if one desires to do that. Yahavah will judge.

I’m skeptical of any demons being around, or ghosts, however I was in love with the darkness as a Child, Adolescent, Teens, and Young Adult. Desired to murder my mother, because of being denied, at least I’m able to at least acknowledge that notion, even with her present, cause it’s of the darkness and evil which resides within me that is not of Christ, a dream I had when I was 6 or 7 years old involved me being touched by this “Satan” seen as a smoke in my dream, and said that I was one of his.

The reason for the skepticism isn’t based on my own written opinion, it’s always couched in the view of Jesus and his victory over all things, even demons, however the Light and the Darkness have been kept separated from the beginning and was what tempted the Fallen angel. And Darkness continues to roam around promoting everything that desires to take life from others, spiritual darkness exists as well, and the world promotes false versions of the devil with the horns and red tail, or tell you how to live rather than consulting God and allowing him to you move by the spirit, when lead and live for Him and his good pleasures.
Several years later a close friend of mine and neighbour did become possessed.
Understood, your friends subjectively had experience.
She had been digging into cultural tribal spiritualism in a manner her husband had warned her about was too deep.
The world and the spiritual darkness is nothing to get into. You are right. It causes distortions rather than, renewing the mind in Christ, seeking for truth.
He asked me, the only Christian he knew, to help him.
May we only boast in the Lord and desire to help people by the spirit which is caused by his righteousness, and not our own.
My wife and I went to his place immediately. The moment his wife saw me, she flew into a crazy rage and tried to attack me. No reason. No logic. Just blind rage.
Surely a scary attack. Not sure the whole story from the other persons point of view, however if a person is tipped off to the top of the tip, like the thoughts of killing my own mother ; it would have happened, but praise God for holding people back. AND I’m not suggesting your experience shared is not true.
If she could have she would have killed me.
That’s a line, there Brakelite. Remind me of a client I was watching who almost got me in a good headshot in with a kick, if I had not blocked just in time.
Her husband, our good friend, neighbour, and fellow worker and hunter, manager to hold her down while she glared at me with such hatred I had never before witnessed.
Hell she probably just wanted out of the house. My client doesn’t like whenever he has to be held down, we try to avoid those issues before things flare up.
She spoke to me in a language her husband was fluent in, but in a dialect known only to their ancient ancestors and a small select line of tribal priests.
I’m skeptical, but perhaps it’s true, only have words to go on.
A dialect she had never learned. But there's more. She spoke in a voice not her own. It was male.
She seemed really mad! being held down and who knows what her story might be like if heard.
Matthew, stop being so certain regarding stuff you have never experienced.
It’s not because of never experiencing. It’s because of faith in Jesus and his victory that I tend to lay aside all the whole, demons and Satan are still around. Darkness, yes absolutely.
Satan is real. His demons are real. They are no more bound or in prison than you or me.
I highly disagree in regards to Jesus and his victory. I’m skeptical of your shared experience with you and your wife and friend and his wife.

I use to love the idea of ghost, ghouls, goblins, and may enjoy a horror movie once in a while, but to me the whole demons and Satan, all they represented was Darkness things that was not towards the light, and the bible talks about the ending of that age then.

You may believe they are still around, it doesn’t effect me any different that my willingness to atleast read and be honest and open, with you, is in love by the spirit of Christ.

ShineTheLight

May 7, 2021
Beaverton
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’m just expressing my experience with other human beings. Things of this world are capable of distorting a soul, to doing horrible things. Like molesting children, or being a Husband who has children and controls everything around them, strict rules, guidelines, and no time to be children, or vice versa, a wife doing the same thing. Only allowing their children to see them as the authorities and never Yahavah our Father who is the authority who writes in the minds and hearts of those that are his.

If you are sure in people being possessed and it’s by a demon, then by all means. Some say the poor people on Skid Row, and their issues are because they are in ‘fact demon diseased ridden people.” Then by all means, deem them as such if one desires to do that. Yahavah will judge.

I’m skeptical of any demons being around, or ghosts, however I was in love with the darkness as a Child, Adolescent, Teens, and Young Adult. Desired to murder my mother, because of being denied, at least I’m able to at least acknowledge that notion, even with her present, cause it’s of the darkness and evil which resides within me that is not of Christ, a dream I had when I was 6 or 7 years old involved me being touched by this “Satan” seen as a smoke in my dream, and said that I was one of his.

The reason for the skepticism isn’t based on my own written opinion, it’s always couched in the view of Jesus and his victory over all things, even demons, however the Light and the Darkness have been kept separated from the beginning and was what tempted the Fallen angel. And Darkness continues to roam around promoting everything that desires to take life from others, spiritual darkness exists as well, and the world promotes false versions of the devil with the horns and red tail, or tell you how to live rather than consulting God and allowing him to you move by the spirit, when lead and live for Him and his good pleasures.

Understood, your friends subjectively had experience.

The world and the spiritual darkness is nothing to get into. You are right. It causes distortions rather than, renewing the mind in Christ, seeking for truth.

May we only boast in the Lord and desire to help people by the spirit which is caused by his righteousness, and not our own.

Surely a scary attack. Not sure the whole story from the other persons point of view, however if a person is tipped off to the top of the tip, like the thoughts of killing my own mother ; it would have happened, but praise God for holding people back. AND I’m not suggesting your experience shared is not true.

That’s a line, there Brakelite. Remind me of a client I was watching who almost got me in a good headshot in with a kick, if I had not blocked just in time.

Hell she probably just wanted out of the house. My client doesn’t like whenever he has to be held down, we try to avoid those issues before things flare up.

I’m skeptical, but perhaps it’s true, only have words to go on.

She seemed really mad! being held down and who knows what her story might be like if heard.

It’s not because of never experiencing. It’s because of faith in Jesus and his victory that I tend to lay aside all the whole, demons and Satan are still around. Darkness, yes absolutely.

I highly disagree in regards to Jesus and his victory. I’m skeptical of your shared experience with you and your wife and friend and his wife.

I use to love the idea of ghost, ghouls, goblins, and may enjoy a horror movie once in a while, but to me the whole demons and Satan, all they represented was Darkness things that was not towards the light, and the bible talks about the ending of that age then.

You may believe they are still around, it doesn’t effect me any different that my willingness to atleast read and be honest and open, with you, is in love by the spirit of Christ.

You have a form of godliness but deny the power. I pray you that you be flexible and try to understand what you're disregarding better.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
You have a form of godliness but deny the power. I pray you that you be flexible and try to understand what you're disregarding better.

Where do you get the authority to quote scripture at me? Shinethelight?

I do not believe - that demons and the devil is still around - that is see as a negative in the whole 'paranormal field' of life that is based on subjective experience. I am skeptical of all that stuff these days, while when I was young I loved indwelling in it.

MatthewG

Apr 21, 2021
Fyffe
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Where do you get the authority to quote scripture at me? Shinethelight?

I do not believe - that demons and the devil is still around - that is see as a negative in the whole 'paranormal field' of life that is based on subjective experience. I am skeptical of all that stuff these days, while when I was young I loved indwelling in it.

This stuff is no different than a Pastor standing on a pulpit.

In a loud voice yelling "DO YOU FEEL THE POWER OF THE GHOST! DO YOU FEEL THE HOLY GHOST HERE NOW!"

Feelings dont mean very much ... It's an knowledgable experience in knowing God, which produces eternal life, in faith knowing that you are indwelled by that spirit... and can ask God to help you by and through the spirit in prayer....

You dont feel the holy ghost... you either believe and know that you have the Holy Spirit, through faith and knowledge, which is the mortar that lays down more brick on the foundation already laid by Jesus Christ.

Be careful out there... I do believe that spirits of the world exist (Spirit of Greed, Spirit of Hatred, Spirit of Lust, Spirit of Etc...), and spiritual darkness exist, but not Satan and demons... darkness has been around and always will continue to be around, where Satan and his demons are told to be done away with.