How long have you been a Christian?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was raised in a church but don't really consider myself Christian until I was born again. I've been a Christian for 25 years now. How about you? Feel free to share some of your story.

My story: I was raised in the Mormon Church. It is a somewhat legalistic theology where you have to obey the commandments and keep your covenants to be exalted. Later I started attending the Catholic Church and God forgave me of my life's sins with the message from His Holy Spirit of Heavenly Father. I'm now trying to figure out what Church God really supports. I'm sure there is one, but I don't really believe either Mormon or Catholic teachings completely.

Nancy

Staff member
Apr 30, 2018
Buffalo, Ny
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I was raised in a church but don't really consider myself Christian until I was born again. I've been a Christian for 25 years now. How about you? Feel free to share some of your story.

My story: I was raised in the Mormon Church. It is a somewhat legalistic theology where you have to obey the commandments and keep your covenants to be exalted. Later I started attending the Catholic Church and God forgave me of my life's sins with the message from His Holy Spirit of Heavenly Father. I'm now trying to figure out what Church God really supports. I'm sure there is one, but I don't really believe either Mormon or Catholic teachings completely.
Hi Devin!
Funny thing, last Spring I had prayed for God to send me good contractors so, the first one was a Jehovah's Witness, nice guy but not a good worker and charged way too much. The next was a Scientologist! Total rip off. Yesterday, I noticed two young men who were just finishing up with shoveling very deep and very heavy snow from my neighbors walk and then started in on my own walk! I walked outside to say thank you and how much would they like to be payed, they said not a thing and just continued to shovel. I offered them coffee but they declined, I asked them if they were Christians and they said yes, Latter Day Saints, Mormons. I was beyond happy that my walkway was being cleared AND for not a cent! I guess my point is that God is not a denomination, there are His people in all of them I believe. There will be very few I think, that He will pluck out of many denominations. "Few will be saved" There is no one denomination that has all the truth IMHO.
God bless you in your search, I'd say just make sure they are bible believing and teach the WHOLE council of God. :)

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Hi Devin!
Funny thing, last Spring I had prayed for God to send me good contractors so, the first one was a Jehovah's Witness, nice guy but not a good worker and charged way too much. The next was a Scientologist! Total rip off. Yesterday, I noticed two young men who were just finishing up with shoveling very deep and very heavy snow from my neighbors walk and then started in on my own walk! I walked outside to say thank you and how much would they like to be payed, they said not a thing and just continued to shovel. I offered them coffee but they declined, I asked them if they were Christians and they said yes, Latter Day Saints, Mormons. I was beyond happy that my walkway was being cleared AND for not a cent! I guess my point is that God is not a denomination, there are His people in all of them I believe. There will be very few I think, that He will pluck out of many denominations. "Few will be saved" There is no one denomination that has all the truth IMHO.
God bless you in your search, I'd say just make sure they are bible believing and teach the WHOLE council of God. :)
Yes, I've studied the bible and have sound doctrine, which is why I'm strugling to find a church that adheres to it. But that's another story. I'm currently in prayer to God for his direction. But I'm getting answers but not from the Spirit that I know as God. So I'm still searching.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I always thought I was a Christian because I believed in God and had gone to Sunday school and was later 'confirmed in the church of England. It wasn't until I was 35 and I was given a copy of 'Journey into Life' that I realised I was a believer in God but didn't have Jesus in my life. That was forty five years ago and I'm still growing and still learning as the fruit of the Spirit ripens within me.

Last edited:

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I always thought I was a Christian because I had gone to Sunday school and was later 'confirmed in the church of England. It wasn't until I was 35 that I was given a copy of 'Journey into Life' that I realised I was a believer in God but didn't have Jesus in my life. That was forty five years ago and I'm still growing and still learning as the fruit of the Spirit ripens within me.
Wow that's a long time to get to know God. What a blessing.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I’ve been a Christian for all of the years of my life that truly matter in the big scheme of things, and not all of the years of my life (the first 40) do. I’m not an old Christian; I’m an aging Christian.
I often wish I was a true Christian all my life, but the truth is I was really worldly as a youth and sinned much. I know other Christians that have been Christians all their life too. They are really pleasant people to be around.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
I often wish I was a true Christian all my life, but the truth is I was really worldly as a youth and sinned much. I know other Christians that have been Christians all their life too. They are really pleasant people to be around.
I don't suppose there are many of us that have been true Christians all our lives.

Rockerduck

Nov 7, 2022
Marietta, Georgia.
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
God chose me in 1988; He Touched me and saved me, then prayed for the Holy Spirit, and then God filled me up. Going strong for the last 34 yrs. My lamp will never go out.

I traveled in different states visiting churches. I joined with the Billy Graham Crusade and visited every church locally. Not one church was 100% born again, but acted like Christians. Doctrine in the Baptist churches was the best for bible believers. My advice is to visit churches until you feel comfortable with the people by talking to them; and like the pastor.

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
God chose me in 1988; He Touched me and saved me, then prayed for the Holy Spirit, and then God filled me up. Going strong for the last 34 yrs. My lamp will never go out.

I traveled in different states visiting churches. I joined with the Billy Graham Crusade and visited every church locally. Not one church was 100% born again, but acted like Christians. Doctrine in the Baptist churches was the best for bible believers. My advice is to visit churches until you feel comfortable with the people by talking to them; and like the pastor.
Good advice.

Bob Estey

Aug 18, 2021
Sparks, Nevada
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

I too was raised in a church. I didn't think much about God. But then he made his presence known to me when I was about 20.

dev553344

Jul 14, 2020
USA
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
I too was raised in a church. I didn't think much about God. But then he made his presence known to me when I was about 20.
Similar story to mine perhaps. Thanks for sharing. I think God waited until I had experienced the worldly life and decided it wasn't for me and that I wanted something more fullfilling in my life then what I was experiencing.

Carl Emerson

Apr 6, 2022
Auckland
Faith
Christian
Country
New Zealand

First off I don't think there is any one church that you have to hunt for.

Jesus used very imperfect folks to birth His church and so it continues.

Sure you must look for Love and a respect for Scripture but the most important matter is to learn to hear Him and go in obedience to where He directs.

We are led to bring life to imperfect churches.

I knew God was real by age of 3 or 4, seeing Him in nature. Jesus appeared to me at about 8 and said that whatever I did in life He would see.

At 13 I fully committed to Him and He came into my life - I was born again.

At 16 I was Baptised by immersion and attended a Baptist Church.

I feared total commitment and gradually liberalised my faith - withdrawing from church and my life fell apart.

11 years in rebellion in the wilderness running away from total commitment my life was a shipwreck.

I ended up a drug user, and all that goes with that lifestyle.

Ended up in a psyche ward and administered ECT.

But God had plans for me...

My mother and grandmother were prayer warriors.

Folks I didn't know prayed...

And still small voice inside of me said I had to return to my Christian roots.

So I took off to find Him again, and He met me dramatically, picked me up, put me back on the rails and said stay there...

That was the beginning of 7 years prayer and ministry to be restored to 'normal' again.

My way back was during with the Jesus movement of the 70's and I was Baptised in the Spirit and led into ministering in the inner city of Christchurch were I saw many lives touched by His miraculous hand.

So I am a prodigal living a second chance - married 38 years with 5 children and 6 grandchildren.

Church wise - we attend an Anglican Church where we hope to see new life.

For more detail on my testimony see here... Jesus's Ministry

Pearl

Staff member
Encounter Team
Apr 9, 2019
Lancashire
Faith
Christian
Country
United Kingdom
First off I don't think there is any one church that you have to hunt for.

Jesus used very imperfect folks to birth His church and so it continues.

Sure you must look for Love and a respect for Scripture but the most important matter is to learn to hear Him and go in obedience to where He directs.

We are led to bring life to imperfect churches.

I knew God was real by age of 3 or 4, seeing Him in nature. Jesus appeared to me at about 8 and said that whatever I did in life He would see.

At 13 I fully committed to Him and He came into my life - I was born again.

At 16 I was Baptised by immersion and attended a Baptist Church.

I feared total commitment and gradually liberalised my faith - withdrawing from church and my life fell apart.

11 years in rebellion in the wilderness running away from total commitment my life was a shipwreck.

I ended up a drug user, and all that goes with that lifestyle.

Ended up in a psyche ward and administered ECT.

But God had plans for me...

My mother and grandmother were prayer warriors.

Folks I didn't know prayed...

And still small voice inside of me said I had to return to my Christian roots.

So I took off to find Him again, and He met me dramatically, picked me up, put me back on the rails and said stay there...

That was the beginning of 7 years prayer and ministry to be restored to 'normal' again.

My way back was during with the Jesus movement of the 70's and I was Baptised in the Spirit and led into ministering in the inner city of Christchurch were I saw many lives touched by His miraculous hand.

So I am a prodigal living a second chance - married 38 years with 5 children and 6 grandchildren.

Church wise - we attend an Anglican Church where we hope to see new life.

For more detail on my testimony see here... Jesus's Ministry
Awesome testimony. Always uplifting to hear another Christian's 'Journey Into Life'.

WalterandDebbie

Dec 14, 2009
USA
firstthings1sttab.tripod.com
Faith
Christian
Country
United States

Hello Devin, Good question, well I was brought in Baptist for some years, then to Pentecostal for some years, and back to Baptist, until I found myself not worthy to receive Jesus's commandments in really calling myself loving Him, but still had a problem with self, believe me there is a big difference with a person flesh, to become a true Christian I think.

So I think starting for me looking for that church is to learn to do the right way of living with Christ is to love Him and keep His sayings.

Love, Walter and Debbie

Reactions: Pearl and dev553344

mailmandan

Feb 24, 2020
The Midwest
Faith
Christian
Country
United States
Since 1998 when I was born again. Prior to my conversion, I attended a church from my youth up that was about rituals and works salvation, but that church did not properly teach the gospel of Christ which is the power of God unto salvation to everyone that BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16)

Reactions: dev553344

Jay Ross

Jun 20, 2011
QLD
Faith
Christian
Country
Australia
"How long you have been a Christian?" is a foolish question to ask anyone.

The better question is to ask, "How is your relationship with the God that you are worshipping right at this very moment?"

It is the quality of a person's life that God is look for in a person, not the quantity in years since they made a particular decision to follow Jesus.

The quality shows how they have honoured their decision, irrespective of the quantity in time that has passed since then.

Sheep know the shepherd's voice and follows His leading. Goats on the other hand are all over the place seeking out their own desires.

Shalom

Reactions: WalterandDebbie