How many ear piercings?

• Welcome to Christian Forums, a Christian Forum that recognizes that all Christians are a work in progress.

You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I remember trying one back in high school or something, and it looked just awful on me, LoL.
Well, in some areas it's almost the expected thing to do, in school and beyond, to get them pierced...

It's really not unusual, is it?

FYI:

Chellz84 said:
My husband has both his ears pierced. Where I live Hartford CT. It is extreamly common for a guy to have both his ears pierced. I've been working in the school system for 5yrs. And I can't tell you how many.. boys have both their ears pierced along with most Dads that come in.
forums dot thebump dot com

B

brakelite

I never seriously considered a tattoo, piercing, or any other ornamental accoutrement. I didn't think any of those things to be an improvement on what God had already generously endowed me with. All ten toes and fingers, two legs, two arms, and a head keeping everything in balance.
Seriously Farouk, why are you so actively encouraging folk to take such interest and participation in the ways of the world? Attempting to baptise ornaments is hogwash...what Christian ever explains his ear ring/hole/stud/whatever as a sign of his faithfulness to God? I am still waiting for you to start a thread promoting Christian cursing, Christian bikinis, and Christian miniskirts. Or perhaps Christian heavy rock...nah, sorry never mind, been done. Christian alcohol? (BoL could help you with that one). Or perhaps you could start a new line in cosmetics...The Scent of Heaven? Nah, probably been done already by Beyoncé, Oprah, or someone...anyway, as the old saying goes, the world is your oyster, but it shouldn't be.

Reactions: amadeus and Pisteuo

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
I never seriously considered a tattoo, piercing, or any other ornamental accoutrement. I didn't think any of those things to be an improvement on what God had already generously endowed me with. All ten toes and fingers, two legs, two arms, and a head keeping everything in balance.
Seriously Farouk, why are you so actively encouraging folk to take such interest and participation in the ways of the world? Attempting to baptise ornaments is hogwash...what Christian ever explains his ear ring/hole/stud/whatever as a sign of his faithfulness to God? I am still waiting for you to start a thread promoting Christian cursing, Christian bikinis, and Christian miniskirts. Or perhaps Christian heavy rock...nah, sorry never mind, been done. Christian alcohol? (BoL could help you with that one). Or perhaps you could start a new line in cosmetics...The Scent of Heaven? Nah, probably been done already by Beyoncé, Oprah, or someone...anyway, as the old saying goes, the world is your oyster, but it shouldn't be.
Thanks for the question. I guess a point that could be made, is: Why should Christians be identified with the customs of 60 years ago always? because they are subjective customs only. The customs of 60 years ago are not necessarily norms for today, are they?

B

brakelite

Thanks for the question. I guess a point that could be made, is: Why should Christians be identified with the customs of 60 years ago always? because they are subjective customs only. The customs of 60 years ago are not necessarily norms for today, are they?
Love not the world nor the things of the world...for he who loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

The greatest enemy of the Christian is not the devil or someone who may persecute him...the Christians greatest enemy is his pride and ego. Pandering to vanity becomes an idol...what use have we for fashion? To what purpose is decoration? Is it not to feed vanity and pride? What is man's pride when gazing into the face of his Creator?
I am not advocating dressing in the fashions of the 1950s, or following the hair styles of the 1920s. Looking abnormal in a generation that takes diversity for granted merely serves the enemy making Christians look like nutcases. But we can be 'normal' without imbibing in the world's fashions, and pandering to what others say is "the thing to do". We can still be individuals...still be "ourselves", without being someone elses "bitch" so to speak.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Love not the world nor the things of the world...for he who loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

The greatest enemy of the Christian is not the devil or someone who may persecute him...the Christians greatest enemy is his pride and ego. Pandering to vanity becomes an idol...what use have we for fashion? To what purpose is decoration? Is it not to feed vanity and pride? What is man's pride when gazing into the face of his Creator?
I am not advocating dressing in the fashions of the 1950s, or following the hair styles of the 1920s. Looking abnormal in a generation that takes diversity for granted merely serves the enemy making Christians look like nutcases. But we can be 'normal' without imbibing in the world's fashions, and pandering to what others say is "the thing to do". We can still be individuals...still be "ourselves", without being someone elses "bitch" so to speak.
I'm sure you have good thoughts there; and I appreciate your quote from 1 John; good to remember.

My thought also is that so many young men wear them, it's pretty mainstream.

B

brakelite

My thought also is that so many young men wear them, it's pretty mainstream.
Mainstream or not, do Christians have to surrender themselves to the world's fashions? Are we not meant to be separate from the world? In the world, but not of the world? Seems to me that compromise with the world's standards is the church's worst vice. Has been since the time of Noah. And no good can come from it. The entire Papal apostasy came about explicitly through compromise with the ideals, the standards, and the practices of the pagan Roman world, which they inherited from Greece, and before that Persia, and before that Babylon. My heart goes out to those parents who wish to raise their children to be independent thinkers...lovers of God more than lovers of pleasure...wanting to live according to God's holy standards than those standards established by the world on behalf of the devil. I am still almost crying in despair that we have on a Christian forum someone who is actively encouraging tattoos, cosmetics, and jewelry...even for both genders...or is it all 58 genders today ?? Christian parents (and grandparents) have a difficult enough job trying to encourage their children away from the world without being encouraged by other Christians to assimilate with the world.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Mainstream or not, do Christians have to surrender themselves to the world's fashions? Are we not meant to be separate from the world? In the world, but not of the world? Seems to me that compromise with the world's standards is the church's worst vice. Has been since the time of Noah. And no good can come from it. The entire Papal apostasy came about explicitly through compromise with the ideals, the standards, and the practices of the pagan Roman world, which they inherited from Greece, and before that Persia, and before that Babylon. My heart goes out to those parents who wish to raise their children to be independent thinkers...lovers of God more than lovers of pleasure...wanting to live according to God's holy standards than those standards established by the world on behalf of the devil. I am still almost crying in despair that we have on a Christian forum someone who is actively encouraging tattoos, cosmetics, and jewelry...even for both genders...or is it all 58 genders today ?? Christian parents (and grandparents) have a difficult enough job trying to encourage their children away from the world without being encouraged by other Christians to assimilate with the world.
No offence intended, but I do think that the many avoidable errors in history which you rightly highlight and the wearing of earrings are frankly apples and oranges. Even in the Bible men practised ear piercing in some circumstances; and in terms of the bondservant allusions it is part of the language of Scripture.

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Probably much more suitable for a Christian woman than for a Christian man:

s-l1000.jpg
ebay dot com

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
When ear plugs started getting popular, it used to be young men that would typically wear them, but now it seems a lot of young women do, also. They do vary in size, of course, and some are indistinguishable from chunky earrings until one sees the back (and the gauge of the ear piercing need to wear them).

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
Maybe somewhere down the line...probably not right away though. And probably not a ring...I'm thinking more in terms of a stud.
Yes, studding it through with silver - redolent of the bondservant and also of the refining process - would be a memorable experience and - for you - rather meaningful, right?

farouk

Jan 21, 2009
North America
It's interesting that, whereas earrings used to be overwhelmingly a woman thing, yet now so many men and boys pierce their ears.

FYI:

Chellz84 said:
My husband has both his ears pierced. Where I live Hartford CT. It is extreamly common for a guy to have both his ears pierced. I've been working in the school system for 5yrs. And I can't tell you how many.. boys have both their ears pierced along with most Dads that come in.
forums dot thebump dot com

Just as years ago tattoos were overwhelmingly a man thing, yet now parlor clients in North America are in a majority female.

I think that whether it's ear piercing or tattooing, it can basically be rather benign for either gender.

(It can be overdone, of course.)